Houston
Sponsored by

*****2024 Hurricane Off-Season*****

162,050 Views | 1439 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Ryan the Temp
TX04Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doing it again in the grove, woke up to hearing it pelting windows.
BayAg_14
Forecast lows keep dropping for Monday night. Looking like we are in for a hard freeze.
Cromagnum
AG
I really hope I don't have to replace my citrus trees for a 3rd time in 4 years.
Al Bula
AG
BayAg_14 said:

Forecast lows keep dropping for Monday night. Looking like we are in for a hard freeze.
A hard freeze, you say?!

AustinCountyAg
saying a low of 17 where I am at for mon night/tuesday morning. damn
AustinCountyAg
how cold did it get for the hard freeze a couple years back?
Breggy Popup
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

how cold did it get for the hard freeze a couple years back?

4* in Spring
Sea Speed
AG
I'll be in brazil for this. I swear every natural phenomenon that causes issues in the tine happens when I am overseas and going overseas isn't even a major part of my work anymore.
Cromagnum
AG
Sea Speed said:

I'll be in brazil for this. I swear every natural phenomenon that causes issues in the tine happens when I am overseas and going overseas isn't even a major part of my work anymore.

Sea Speed
AG
Trust me I wish I could.
AustinCountyAg
will be interesting to keep an eye on this thing. accueweather currently calling for snow on monday and it staying below freezing all day. weather.com isn't projecting the snow at the moment.
Cromagnum
AG
Yeah, up till a day or two ago, they were thinking the bottom wouldn't drop out until Wednesday. Now it's Monday potentially.

If it's gonna be icemageddon, it's a good thing it's MLK day and I can just stay home and watch the foolishness on the roads on the tv.

Serotonin
AG
Man, as a kid I loved these cold snaps. Then I grew up, got a commute, and dropped money on landscaping.

Now it's just...annoying.
Sea Speed
AG
I thought it was Monday night going in to Tuesday
ChipFTAC01
AG
Yeah, looks like it will be cold on Monday, maybe some rain with the front rolling in late in Monday and then freeze over ight. Warm up to low 40s on Tuesday and then maybe another freeze Tuesday night.
Cromagnum
AG
Sea Speed said:

I thought it was Monday night going in to Tuesday

Most recent updates are showing that Dallas is in the teens before midnight Sunday, and Houston drops below freezing by Monday morning.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Complete horse****, I get the day off from work and book golf and now it's ****ing freezing
jenn96
AG
It's a holiday - so it tracks that we'd have a clusterf-k storm/icepocolypse/flood.
BG Knocc Out
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Complete horse****, I get the day off from work and book golf and now it's ****ing freezing
Saturday looks nice, with Sunday looking decent as well. My plan is to golf one of those days and then relax my balls off on MLK day.
cone
AG
man you really won't take a hint
wessimo
AG
wessimo
AG
maroon10
AG
Anyone have a good tree cover they recommend? We planted 3 eaglestons last springs and don't want to lose them.
sockerton
Bury them in a mound of dirt
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Eagleston holly shouldn't freeze.
wessimo
AG
Cromagnum
AG
wessimo said:

Its funny because only a few days ago that chode was saying the cold forecast was all hype.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Should I warm up the pool ahead of this cold snap? I am sure they are going to jack the natural gas prices again during the peak of this, so if I could heat the pool ahead of it, would it stay above the 38 degree auto run? Or, am I overthinking this? I don't know if 12 hours below freezing is enough to cool down the water that much.
Sea Speed
AG
I think if you just keep the pump running you will be fine. Imo you're overthinking it. But what do I know, your pool is way fancier than any I've owned.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Should I warm up the pool ahead of this cold snap? I am sure they are going to jack the natural gas prices again during the peak of this, so if I could heat the pool ahead of it, would it stay above the 38 degree auto run? Or, am I overthinking this? I don't know if 12 hours below freezing is enough to cool down the water that much.
Your pool setup should automatically run if the ambient temp gets below freezing, that's enough to keep pipes from freezing. If you lose power keeping your system from circulating water, drain your pool plumbing (lots of YouTube videos showing you how).
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The question was more about burning nat gas before the cold when the gas is cheap in hopes of not burning when the gas is expensive.
Sea Speed
AG
Right and I dont think you need to burn any if you just keep your pump running. I dont think you will get anywhere close to 38 degree water temps.
Cromagnum
AG
Sea Speed said:

Right and I dont think you need to burn any if you just keep your pump running. I dont think you will get anywhere close to 38 degree water temps.

With the pump running, you have a gigantic heat sink with the rest of the pool volume. It would take very cold weather for a very long time to remove enough latent heat to drop the entire pool below 32.
CAR96
AG
Question about water sitting in french drain pipes or PVC pipes and collection bins for yard drainage....how would you, or do you need, to remove standing water inside of these so they don't freeze and crack the pvc or collection bin....etc?
Sea Speed
AG
Wouldn't it need to be completely or near completely full for that to be an issue?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.