Houston
Sponsored by

*****2024 Houston Weather*****

211,886 Views | 1844 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by AustinCountyAg
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jetch17
AG
Jack Klompus said:

Cy Fair ISD closed Monday

I feel like we're just gonna get an early summer
digging tunnels
AG
Lots of power line trucks in between TC Jester bridge and 11th street. About a dozen of them
BillYeoman
jetch17 said:

Jack Klompus said:

Cy Fair ISD closed Monday

I feel like we're just gonna get an early summer

A lot of HISD schools are open tomorrow.
HeyAbbott
AG
A lot of homes in Cypress still without power.
Furlock Bones
AG
Most of Norhill Heights without power. My mom in Woodland Heights still without power. Haven't seen a line crew south of 11th yet.
Bockaneer
AG
Longwood always seems to be last on the list to get power back.
Caliber
AG
SBISD closed for Monday, 70% of campuses still without power.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Most of Norhill Heights without power. My mom in Woodland Heights still without power. Haven't seen a line crew south of 11th yet.

How did the Bayland oaks fare in the storm?
MAS444
AG
It's hit or miss in woodland heights. We've had power since early Friday morning. But plenty still without. There are some huge trees down on power lines. Same as most places I guess.
Furlock Bones
AG
Limbs down. But not as bad an other streets. Melwood had some monster oaks snap at the base.

Bondag
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Just saw some staging at White Oak and Studemont. Lots of roads partially blocked by trees.

Truck near 8th and heights.
chico
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

Furlock Bones said:

How did the Bayland oaks fare in the storm?

Thur evening pic
WestHoustonAg79
Caliber said:

I bet SBISD is done for the year. If I had to wager.
SockDePot
WestHoustonAg79 said:

Caliber said:

Wife and I were debating this last week. The teachers have been telling her they basically didn't have anything planned for this week anyways, let alone coming back after Memorial Day.

Our area is trashed, I bet it's Wednesday at best for power at the elementary.

Can't decide if them being out makes my life better or worse…
Texan_Aggie
AG
Apparently there are a lot of lines down around Hogg and they are concerned that power to the area could start fires. Lots of crews around Hogg trying to clean it up
Ryan the Temp
AG
Saw about a half dozen trucks working on White Oak between Studewood and Heights and a bunch more along W 10th between Yale and Nicholson. Looks like a bunch of trees took a lot of lines down along W 10th.
AgLiving06
This is the Tri-Fuel generator you want:

https://www.duromaxpower.com/collections/hxt-series/products/duromax-xp13000hxt-13000-watt-500cc-tri-fuel-gas-propane-natural-gas-portable-generator-with-co-alert

Put a hard or soft start on your AC(s) and you can run your whole house and both AC's.

Generac is certainly more convenient, but probably 3-4x the total cost of going this route when we are purely talking backup for events like this.
WestHoustonAg79
SockDePot said:

WestHoustonAg79 said:

Caliber said:

Wife and I were debating this last week. The teachers have been telling her they basically didn't have anything planned for this week anyways, let alone coming back after Memorial Day.

Our area is trashed, I bet it's Wednesday at best for power at the elementary.

Can't decide if them being out makes my life better or worse…

I'll decide for you… worse. I love my kids but just adds more stress to your fam without childcare. Your office is going to be more BS bc Becky admin will be *****ing about the same thing.

I have young kids so my lens is clearly skewed but just saying…

Have a cousin graduating from memorial. Kinda not fun to not get to go back for your last day of school etc. but grand scheme who GAS
agproducer
AG
I've been thinking of the trifuel, and getting it straight hooked up to my house.

Anyone else have that setup?

Do you have to change the oil of you change fuel type?

AgLA06
AG
You have ti change the oil every 24-30 hours of run time after break in regardless. Get a quick valve and it's pretty easy.

If you go trifuel, get the 15k. Gasoline runs the most efficient, but propane and NG put out lower Watts. I have the 12k and I wish I had the 15k.
aftershock
TX04Aggie said:

Yeah i am probably getting a generac after this. Tired of hearing my neighbors next door and behind me running theirs and my house is basically unlivable..

I've always thought generators were physically loud and annoying…. But I didn't realize how emotionally annoying the sound of a neighbor's whole home generator was until the power was out and we sat in the dark/heat while his house was lit up and livable.
Nitro Power
AG
That particular section got smoked for sure
AJ02
AG
AgLiving06 said:

https://www.duromaxpower.com/collections/hxt-series/products/duromax-xp13000hxt-13000-watt-500cc-tri-fuel-gas-propane-natural-gas-portable-generator-with-co-alert

Put a hard or soft start on your AC(s) and you can run your whole house and both AC's.

Generac is certainly more convenient, but probably 3-4x the total cost of going this route when we are purely talking backup for events like this.

So I'm completely clueless when it comes to this stuff. But I'm home alone a good bit while husband travels for work. One of these can power your entire home? Including a 5 ton AC? For a 2400 sq ft house? Would love to get a whole home generator but don't want to spend $12-15k right now.
SockDePot
agproducer said:

I've been thinking of the trifuel, and getting it straight hooked up to my house.

I have 2 of these, both hooked to natural gas

https://a.co/d/5D2Ji03

I put one of these on 5 ton compressor

https://www.microair.net/collections/easystart-soft-starters

I did some "custom" electrical that has one on compressor but isolated from house panel, and the house panel fed by other generator.

Been working like a champ so far, also feeding extension cords to both neighbors.

House is 1800ish sf.

All in including plumber probably $3500. Realistically should probably use an electrician on a side job for maybe another $750

Natural gas is supposed to be easier on oil, but changed on the break in and every 50 hrs so far.

AgLiving06
AJ02 said:

AgLiving06 said:

So I'm completely clueless when it comes to this stuff. But I'm home alone a good bit while husband travels for work. One of these can power your entire home? Including a 5 ton AC? For a 2400 sq ft house? Would love to get a whole home generator but don't want to spend $12-15k right now.

Yes, with a hard/soft start you'll be able to power your whole home.

I don't have this one (it wasn't available when I was looking), but it will come with a push button battery start. My wife has not had trouble getting mine started.

For reference I have a 4 ton with a hard start and have no issues starting it.

So depending on your current set up, all in for this probably $3k. Savings is significant, the downside is you have to actually start it yourself, versus it autocoming on, but given you may only really need it 1-3 times a year, it's quite the savings.

1. Generator
2. 50A Interlock + whole house surge protector (good to have)
3. Hard/Soft start if you don't have it already.
4. Nat gas quick connect on meter (unless you already have nat gas available via grill).
5. Connector to gas line
6. Connector to interlock.

This facebook group started in Bridgeland a couple years ago, and it's grown since then: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1716967438485868/?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=2584299488419321

They have a buyer guide and process which I more or less used to get where I'm at.
AgLiving06
agproducer said:

I do. Have a dual fuel that I had converted to tri-fuel. I have all 3 sources of fuel available.

Last month or so when power went out, I ran it on nat gas for ~10 hours straight.

With the interlock, you don't to compromise on anything.

Duromax just updated their guidance to 50-100 hours. I simply keep a quart or 2 of synethic oil on hand to go a week if needed.
Chewy
AG
Does it seem power activations have slowed down today?

Back in town and what little venturing out I've done today it seems like there's a massive slow down as they're moving trees and downed lines/poles.

Dont see how they're going to be done by Wednesday.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
If the THD is above 5%, it will fry your electronics. Every appliance you own these days has a control board.

ETA- the Duromax is rated at 12%
https://generatorbible.com/generators/duromax/xp13000hxt/
BBRex
AG
How much do those affect your gas bill?
AgLiving06
P.H. Dexippus said:

If the THD is above 5%, it will fry your electronics. Every appliance you own these days has a control board.

No it won't.

People ran these set ups during the big freeze a couple year and my brother and many people in Bridgeland ran this except setup the past several days. Nobody is reporting issues.

Like I said, I ran this exact set up for 10 hours a month or 2 ago without a single power issue.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I'm not saying it'll happen today or tomorrow, but HD definitely degrades/shortens the life of sensitive electronics according to Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Standards Association. Hence the rise of larger inverter generators and open-frame low THD generators. But suit yourself.
https://generatorbible.com/blog/what-is-thd/#5_damage_to_sensitive_electronic_equipment
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
aftershock said:

TX04Aggie said:

Yeah i am probably getting a generac after this. Tired of hearing my neighbors next door and behind me running theirs and my house is basically unlivable..

I've always thought generators were physically loud and annoying…. But I didn't realize how emotionally annoying the sound of a neighbor's whole home generator was until the power was out and we sat in the dark/heat while his house was lit up and livable.
Know that feeling that feeling of trying to fall asleep in the dark with the windows open while the neighbors generators are cycling on.
TX04Aggie
AG
Sinclair elementary by my house prob took the worst beating. All those big beautiful pine trees are all on top of the buildings now.
Sea Speed
AG
Speaking of pines, looks like my tallest took a hit from the lightning, and oddly I had not noticed before but it looks like it has taken one previously as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.