Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Weightlifting Thread***

99,337 Views | 1444 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Sea Speed
Pepper Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wrong thread
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
bam02
AG
You can't just do that. Gotta at least tell us how much ya bench!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Did you compete as a power lifter? I know you know your stuff I'm just curious what your background is and if it's powerlifting or bodybuilding or both.

I do have a bit of a controversial question for you and maybe this board…

Do you think deadlifting is really worth it?

I understand it if you're competing and working on the big 3 - but if you're just working out to stay in shape or whatever else your goal is, do y'all feel it's actually worth it?

My personal experience is that it's not at all worth the risk. I've done a few programs of Meadows and have worked out with some pretty elite guys and we NEVER do deadlifts. I'll do RDLs for a hinge movement and hamstrings but not traditional deadlifts. I focus on bench and squat and go heavy for both. I will do rack pulls on occasion. I also find it interesting because people that I know that have played football at the highest level, never dead lift either…

I'm just genuinely curious because I understand and appreciate heavy compound lifts (bench/Squat) but have always felt like dead's aren't worth it and I'm not the only one.

If you enjoy doing dead's and it's a personal challenge, I completely understand that too. I also understand it's probably the easiest exercise to get into serious weight moving territory. I'm just trying to understand if anyone feels that it is a pillar to their program and it's absolutely worth the potential risks.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
And follow up question for you regarding injuries:

Is there anything looking back you would have done differently to help with longevity and limit injuries?

Please don't take offense to that as I'm not reading your injury list as if you did something wrong - quite the opposite - in that you lifted at an elite level for quite some time. I just know I have a lot of things I wish I would have done 10-15 years ago lifting weights that would've prevented a few nagging injuries now.
Hoosegow
Lot to unpack. Im on vacation this weekend. Ill see if I can answer the question on pieces. If I get a chance and it is quiet ill answer piece by piece.
CC09LawAg
Thanks Hoose. You confirmed what I already knew deep down, and that's that I don't need either one lol. I think I'm going to take your advice from the other thread and spend on any new purchases for strongman implements.
CC09LawAg
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Did you compete as a power lifter? I know you know your stuff I'm just curious what your background is and if it's powerlifting or bodybuilding or both.

I do have a bit of a controversial question for you and maybe this board…

Do you think deadlifting is really worth it?

I understand it if you're competing and working on the big 3 - but if you're just working out to stay in shape or whatever else your goal is, do y'all feel it's actually worth it?

My personal experience is that it's not at all worth the risk. I've done a few programs of Meadows and have worked out with some pretty elite guys and we NEVER do deadlifts. I'll do RDLs for a hinge movement and hamstrings but not traditional deadlifts. I focus on bench and squat and go heavy for both. I will do rack pulls on occasion. I also find it interesting because people that I know that have played football at the highest level, never dead lift either…

I'm just genuinely curious because I understand and appreciate heavy compound lifts (bench/Squat) but have always felt like dead's aren't worth it and I'm not the only one.

If you enjoy doing dead's and it's a personal challenge, I completely understand that too. I also understand it's probably the easiest exercise to get into serious weight moving territory. I'm just trying to understand if anyone feels that it is a pillar to their program and it's absolutely worth the potential risks.
I'm no Hoose or powerlifter, but I have deadlifted off and on for the last ten years as a beginning to intermediate level lifter...

I am not sure what the "risk" is. Granted, I'm not trying to lift 800 pounds and am just trying to get in good overall shape, but I have consistently pulled 1.5x my body weight for reps (which I think is plenty for your average adult) and I have never (knock on wood) suffered any kind of injury. That is doing it in a range of ages from 22 to 36.

I add weight and listen to my body. If my body says don't pull, I don't pull or I back off the weights for that session, sometimes by a little and sometimes by a lot.

But I likely fall into your last category - I just like doing them. I like the feeling after pulling a heavy rep where you know you basically taxed your entire body to complete your reps. I feel like they are one of the most practical lifts you can perform - how much weight can I lift up off the ground?

So, are they "worth" it? I don't know, I don't have enough experience lifting with them and without them. I just know that it's involved in a lot of strength training programs that I see, I want to get stronger, and that when I've followed the programs I have seen major results. I guess I'm in "don't reinvent the wheel" territory on them.
2girlsdad
I did tried Candito, and I didn't fall in love. I really like 531 so far when it comes to squat and deadlift (hit 10 reps on dL with 385 this AM on week 3!). I wonder if my max is near the calculated max of 513lbs...

I think I am going to just tweak the program to do another bench day on day 4 which is the OHP day. I had a lot of success with 5x5, 5x3, 5x1 in the past, so I may do that on day 4 and then OHP after (understanding it will impact OHP of course).
Hoosegow
I started off running. I added in weight training and started body building. I like eating and drinking too much to get lean. I switched to powerlifting. I ended up winning a national championship and world championship in my class in either 13 or 14. In powerlifting, that's like winning an amateur title. The elite professionals are in that. I could never compete with those guys. I competed in another world championship a few years later and bombed on the bench. I've competed with elite guys, trained with elite guys, but I am by no means elite.

I probably have a surprisingly opinion on the big 3.
Squat- there is no reason to squat with a straight bar. It puts your shoulders in a bad position. The only reason you should squat with a straight bar is if you are competing or that is all you have.
Bench-unless you are competing or a bar is all you have, bench with dumbbells. Straight bench puts your shoulders in a terrible position.
DL... fug deadlifts. I hate them. Look up what Robert Oberst said about deadlift. I agree completely with him. It is such a technical lift and a lift that changes so much from one person to another. I would never do them unless I had to. I've reached down to grab the bar, looked at the judges and told them how much I hate them and how stupid they are. Always got a laugh. Oh, and id take my first hit of whiskey before my first lift.
CC09LawAg
I know a lot of programming will say you can sub in incline bench for OHP if you want - so I think that is a good idea. I like to keep OHP because it's one of my weakest lifts.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Makes sense.

I obviously have personal bias against them but as I get older and put way more thought into the science of everything and also shift my goals towards longevity and health, I just question whether or not they're worth incorporating.

Aside from lifting heavy and enjoying it (which I totally get), it seems like the majority of folks doing deadlifts routinely are one of the following:

Doing a strong lifts program
Competing for powerlifting
under the age of 25

I rarely see anyone my age or older pulling that is not in one of the first two. Couple that in with the programs of people that train for things like bodybuilding and the NFL that don't do these lifts and it really makes me question it.

I get the utility of a heavy compound movement and do those in other ways to be able to help boost natural test and achieve similar things. Just trying to understand this more
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thanks for sharing!

I don't disagree with anything you posted, especially about barbell bench and squats. It is really hard to admit that since those have been such a staple to my workouts.

I was really shocked the first Meadows program I did how we did almost no flat barbell bench… it was all slight incline dumbbell press, modified ROM incline and then flys and other things for chest. The craziest thing was not benching for 6 weeks and then going back to just recalibrate (my own ego) and being exactly where I was before I stopped on a heavy 4 rep set.

Squats are very similar but I still think I need them just for the sake of boosting natural test. From a pure building muscle in quads and glutes - much better and safer options.

I greatly appreciate your insight and taking time to share!
CC09LawAg
As someone who is trying to make this a long term lifestyle change (I want to be the 80 year old dude moving weights in the gym), is some of this alternate programming realistic for a home gym setup? Obviously stuff like dumbbell press is, but what about the lower body lifts?

I think that is part of the appeal to the Stronglift style programs - bar, rack, plates, bench and I'm good. I do see the value and merit in not planning to do heavy squats and bench 24/7 with a straight bar for the next 40 years.
AgEng06
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Makes sense.

I obviously have personal bias against them but as I get older and put way more thought into the science of everything and also shift my goals towards longevity and health, I just question whether or not they're worth incorporating.

Aside from lifting heavy and enjoying it (which I totally get), it seems like the majority of folks doing deadlifts routinely are one of the following:

Doing a strong lifts program
Competing for powerlifting
under the age of 25

I rarely see anyone my age or older pulling that is not in one of the first two. Couple that in with the programs of people that train for things like bodybuilding and the NFL that don't do these lifts and it really makes me question it.

I get the utility of a heavy compound movement and do those in other ways to be able to help boost natural test and achieve similar things. Just trying to understand this more
I do deadlifts weekly, and I am none of your three criteria.

CrossFit
Not competing
39 y/o
ttha_aggie_09
AG
It's honestly hard with a home gym. I have a home gym with squat rack and then cable machine with extensions and curls.

You had in a Landmine attachment and you have another option.

During Covid I tried to do the following things at home gym:

Squats (regular, front, tempo, split)
Bulgarians (elevated split)
Goblet (using Landmine attachment)
Step ups
Lunges
Farmers walks
Suitcase carry's
Extensions
Curls
Bridges
Hip Thrusts

It would be great to have other equipment but I had some pretty grueling workouts, including probably some of the hardest lifts ever, just by finding new ways to torture myself. Most of that involved shorter test intervals and higher reps. Also doing things like hitting hamstrings and then immediately squatting kicked my butt
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Quote:

it seems like the majority of folks doing deadlifts
I carved you and your CrossFit bros out a spot
AgEng06
AG
Fair enough
CC09LawAg
For the life of me I can't ever seem to find a good hamstring isolation exercise that I can set up in my garage gym. Anytime I try something with bands, it seems like a huge PITA to set up. I'm debating on buying a tib bar or Monkeyfoot to see if I can use that effectively.

What kind of cable machine do you have? Is it free standing? I'm thinking at some point I need to invest in one because the ones you hook up to the cage seem gimmicky and cheaply made.
Hoosegow
Get a floor glute ham raise. Elitefts has them.
10andBOUNCE
AG
These are what I do at the gym to save time.
Go down to 3. Slick Floor Bridge Curl

https://athleanx.com/articles/the-8-best-bodyweight-exercises

Also as I build a garage set up, I'll figure out a way to incorporate nordic curls. I'd look into that as well.
True Anomaly
AG
I'm in my early 40s, and I enjoy deadlifts. The stimulation across the entire posterior is just great. I even love the stimulus it gives my lower back to strengthen it. I do a lot more conventional than sumo, but I really don't lift heavy at all. What may have helped is that I never did a deadlift until my late 30s.

I also equally do romanian deadlifts.

I definitely may be the odd man out, but I don't do a lot of bench pressing. I LOVE cable flys though- especially at different angles. I do admittedly lift mostly for hypertrophy rather than pure strength
10andBOUNCE
AG
I love deadlifting. I hope I never have to remove them from my programming. If my body is hurting from them its either over doing it or not doing it correctly.

I also made the permanent switch from flat barbell bench press to decline barbell bench press. Mainly did this as I would often have achy shoulders bothering me while I slept. In the 6 months or so since, I have had that achy shoulder feeling go away. I really have enjoyed the switch.
CC09LawAg
What percentage have you found you needed to reduce the weight down from your working sets on flat bench?
10andBOUNCE
AG
I'm not great at bench to begin with, but I would guess I adjusted the weight by 10-20%. Hardest part is the liftoff at this point as I have gotten heavier again (only getting up to 215 x 4 so far).
CC09LawAg
Hoose, I did a little strongman type work after my usual workout since it was so nice outside - some sled and sandbag stuff. Going to invest in some farmer walk handles next and go from there.

Definitely want to make time for that once I hit my overall strength goals.
Pepper Brooks
AG
bam02 said:

You can't just do that. Gotta at least tell us how much ya bench!
I'm a maintenance lifter and my regimen is boring compared to most of you. I don't over program, track progression, macros, etc. I switch things up whenever I start to dislike what I see in the mirror or on the calipers.

Routine:
Day 1: Back/abs
Day 2: Chest/obliques
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Legs
Day 5: Shoulders/abs
Day 6: Peloton for cardio

Rinse and repeat. I've been doing this for the last 10 years.

I have two primary lifts for each muscle group and do two auxiliary exercises each day. I pick one primary each day and will do the one I didn't do the next time around.

Working sets: 5x for the primary; 3x for each auxiliary
Working set reps: 5-8

Primary lifts in rotation: Weighted pull ups & rows; chest press & incline chest press; deadlift & slant board squats; shoulder press & upright rows

Chest press with 75-80s to appease the mob.

Edit: I've been battling tennis elbow for the last few months and have had to adjust the lift selections a bit.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Kind of random question but anyone know of a decent gym in Midland to workout? Looking for somewhere to lift this week and am trying to decide between Crunch and TruFit. Haven't been to either and just need a place better than hotel for workouts this week.
CC09LawAg
What kind of rows?

I currently do bent over barbell rows, but I'm getting kind of burnt out on them. Only alternative I've really explored is one arm dumbbell.

I have an adjustable bench - has anyone figured out a way to make this workable to do chest supported barbell rows? Any time I explore the idea in my head I am trying to think of how I might set it up.

My form is probably weakest on this lift and my lower back is kind of limiting me on my bent over rows strength gains. I'd like to find a variation where I can load up the weight more and my upper back is the sole muscle being worked.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
CC09LawAg said:

What kind of rows?

I currently do bent over barbell rows, but I'm getting kind of burnt out on them. Only alternative I've really explored is one arm dumbbell.

I have an adjustable bench - has anyone figured out a way to make this workable to do chest supported barbell rows? Any time I explore the idea in my head I am trying to think of how I might set it up.

My form is probably weakest on this lift and my lower back is kind of limiting me on my bent over rows strength gains. I'd like to find a variation where I can load up the weight more and my upper back is the sole muscle being worked.

You have dumbbells heavy enough to do chest supported dumbbell rows on your bench? That's what I do, at least. Although I'm getting to the point where I need heavier dumbbells than my bowflex 90lb adjustables.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Get a Landmine attachment or plate and then you can use your barbell and weights for single arm rows and meadows rows.
10andBOUNCE
AG
CC09LawAg said:

I also got a little burnt out on barbell rows. I tried the chest supported rows but always was really awkward and couldn't find a position that gave me a-lot of range of motion. Have since been doing one arm rows in between decline press.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Depends on if I'm using the home gym or going to the gym.

Home gym is usually single arm dumbbell due to equipment limitations.
Gym gym is whatever I feel like doing when I get there. Bent over barbell, cable rows, smith machine bent over row, etc.

My goal is to do similar movements but never the same exercise back to back.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

CC09LawAg
I've thought about landmine - I've heard that they aren't good for your barbell. Any truth to that?
wtanner
AG
You can do what I did. Get a newer, better barbell and use your old bar for landminds
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I haven't noticed any wear an tear on mine but I am only using Landmine once a week maybe twice if I do Landmine presses on push day

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.