Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

265,482 Views | 1871 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by TTUArmy
ChiefKiefton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Outdoorag011 said:

I unfortunately do not have a YT channel. I probably watch some of the same videos you do. I think I'm going to go ahead and post a new silver post either today or tomorrow with a lot of facts and figures they can see for themselves. I just don't think the average person or 99% of the people on the investing board here have any idea how big of a deal silver is right now.

Do it!

The best stacking YT channels in my opinion are Yankee Stacking and Silver Dragons. Both know what they are talking about. I went to my LCS and he was out of everything. First time I've ever seen empty shelves. Crazy times to be a stacker.
ChiefKiefton
FAT SEXY said:

Agreed, both are good channels. I like when they collaborate.

I was watching an older Silver Dragons vid from a little over a year ago and he was talking about buying Morgans and Peace Dollars at around $17 a piece. Fast forward a year and you'd be lucky to find a Peace Dollar below $26 or a Morgan below $29. Crazy how much the silver sphere has changed in such a short amount of time.
No kidding. I started stacking in March of last year and bought my first two ounces for 17.50 a piece. I should have bought 500oz right then and there lol
0708aggie
AG
How do yall store your bars? Any by that I mean containers? Bags with charcoal/silica, etc?
ChiefKiefton
0708aggie said:

How do yall store your bars? Any by that I mean containers? Bags with charcoal/silica, etc?

I bought a couple empty monster boxes and store my coins and bars in them. I capsule my coins unless they are in tubes. Not really worried about the bars. They generally come in sleeves anyways unless it's like 100oz bar.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
0708aggie said:

I have all coinage in capsules because I like to look at it, I usually have a few coins on my desk. Rounds and bars in plastic tubes. Hand poured stuff just loose.

Here's what's on my desk at the moment.

Outdoorag011
I'm going to try and post it tonight. I've been working on it during my down times at work. It will be very long haha. I may lose some people on the length but all of this I'm going to talk about needs to be said.
mwp02ag
AG
Not gonna lie, the brilliance and feel of a few silver rounds in my hand is....alluring. I am a bug for sure. Gold is even more powerful, something about them both.

I actually found what has to be a piece of some work of art that washed up on a Caribbean beach after a hurricane. Its two paper thin, postage stamp sized pieces of gold, shaped sort of like bubble letter H and stuck together with a black soil/detritus as if it had been buried under water a loooong time. It almost seems like it was some kind of scaling on a piece of art. That was the start of my love for precious metals.

Imma go all Fools Gold on that bay one of these days. I'll try and post a pic of it later.
Post removed:
by user
Esteban du Plantier
AG
FAT SEXY said:

I wish there were a way for me to feasibly stack Copper, because I would.

You can find old pennies for not much over melt. I see them selling on reddit occasionally.

Copper ingots go for many times melt, not sure why anyone is buying those.
Bocephus
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

0708aggie said:

I have all coinage in capsules because I like to look at it, I usually have a few coins on my desk. Rounds and bars in plastic tubes. Hand poured stuff just loose.

Here's what's on my desk at the moment.

Nice montblanc
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Post removed:
by user
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Jake at Bison Bullion had a thing where he was slicing up 1000ozt comex bars like a loaf of bread, selling slices (like 40-100ozt each) for very little over spot. Was a symbolic gesture giving the finger to comex.

Looks like he has some more that he's slicing. They sold out pretty much instantly last time. I was only able to grab a bag of the shavings.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
FAT SEXY said:

I've been wanting to buy .999 Silver shot and shavings... now you need to buy yourself a decent Kiln set up and do your own pour.

I buy shot, cheap rounds, sterling well under spot on eBay and melt it. Been trying odd things, like a teddy bear cookie cutter mold hammered into the end of a block of wood.

I'm building an oxy/propane setup to do larger, more professional looking stuff. Current torch has a hard time melting 2ozt, so I get odd shapes as it cools before filling the mold.

Lots of fun.
Post removed:
by user
bkag9824
AG

FAT SEXY said:

I've been wanting to buy .999 Silver shot and shavings... now you need to buy yourself a decent Kiln set up and do your own pour.

I buy shot, cheap rounds, sterling well under spot on eBay and melt it. Been trying odd things, like a teddy bear cookie cutter mold hammered into the end of a block of wood.

I'm building an oxy/propane setup to do larger, more professional looking stuff. Current torch has a hard time melting 2ozt, so I get odd shapes as it cools before filling the mold.

Lots of fun.

My brother is a farrier and has a forge for making shoes... would that suffice for this task? Thankfully his forge is mounted to the back of his truck, so would be no problem to fire it up next time he's in town.
Post removed:
by user
Esteban du Plantier
AG
bkag9824 said:

FAT SEXY said:

Lots of fun.

My brother is a farrier and has a forge for making shoes... would that suffice for this task? Thankfully his forge is mounted to the back of his truck, so would be no problem to fire it up next time he's in town.

Forge would be hot enough, I would just be concerned about the amount of airflow causing a lot of loss. With proper torch management, you get about 1% of the silver essentially blowing away, with too aggressive of a torch the number could be a lot more than that. I've never used a forge like that so can't confirm. Other guys use different shaped forges with the fire at the bottom rather than the top and those work fine.
Andrew Dufresne
I like to think you can tell a lot from the physical Silver market by paying attention to junk silver on auction sites.

There seems to be less merchandise popping up for sale on eBay. More people holding than selling. Also, at this point if you're still buying hardcore, I'd take any Constitutional that pops up for $105-$110 per 5 Dollar face value. Listings in that range WILL NOT last long.

You will be hard pressed to find 90% Silver for less than $100 per $5 face. The days of finding it below that price point appear to be over for now and maybe for all time.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Lawrence Sullivan Ross said:

I like to think you can tell a lot from the physical Silver market by paying attention to junk silver on auction sites.

There seems to be less merchandise popping up for sale on eBay. More people holding than selling. Also, at this point if you're still buying hardcore, I'd take any Constitutional that pops up for $105-$110 per 5 Dollar face value. Listings in that range WILL NOT last long.

You will be hard pressed to find 90% Silver for less than $100 per $5 face. The days of finding it below that price point appear to be over for now and maybe for all time.

This.

If I could find 90% for 20x face, I'd do some real irresponsible **** to load up on coins.
ChiefKiefton
I was lucky enough to get one of these before they sold out. So beautiful!

https://www.apmex.com/product/229237/2021-1-oz-silver-treasures-of-the-u-s-idaho-opal-colorized
Pepper Brooks
AG
I've got about $2k to put towards either gold or silver this month. Doesn't matter which just looking for the best deal. Any recs?
Pepper Brooks
AG
Any reason to avoid that sites assorted silver rounds? Seems I waited too long on the buffalos.
Post removed:
by user
AgEng06
AG
"Complete novice" throwing down over $10k. Well done.
Post removed:
by user
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Rendered Fat said:

Complete novice here, but I bought five silver kilo bars and 200 Silver Eagles from Monument Metals last week. The bars arrived but they're all tightly wrapped in plastic. Should I leave that plastic on?

Do you want to touch the silver or have them develop a color/patina? If so, unwrap. If you want them to stay perfect, keep them wrapped.

Also (for anyone), more than 2 billion ounces of silver shorted yesterday, crushing the price. Good time to keep accumulating.
Post removed:
by user
Ted Lasso
AG
Thought I'd share this link with y'all. It's for the r/wallstreetsilver community but it has good pricing. They change up what's on there often.

https://silvergoldbull.com/ape
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Some people like toned stuff, I like mint perfect bright silver. If you're selling to an individual, might make a difference.

It won't affect the underlying value of the silver, so selling to a dealer probably won't matter. They'll check the purity whether it's beat to **** or in mint sealed packaging.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.