Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

265,452 Views | 1871 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by TTUArmy
rilloaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've only managed to score Mexican, Canadian coins, a car wash token with no name on it, and $3 worth of Sacajawea dollars
Todd 02
AG
Just stumbled upon this thread and very interested in getting started. How can I learn more before jumping in?

Without reading all 39 pages, does anybody have a link to some kind of guidance or recommendation for a beginner? What and where to buy.? What to stay away from?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
What are your goals / reasons for buying?
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Todd 02
AG
Wealth diversification and stability is prolly the biggest reason. The vast majority of my wealth is tied up in mutual funds. Since January 2022, I've only seen an increase of ~$20k in those accounts, even though I've contributed at least three times that much in that time.

Second, I inherited a few coins from my dad recently and am trying to learn more about their value and potentially adding to his small collection.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Given that information, I would personally do a mix of gold and silver coins and/or bars depending on how much you want to invest. I would try to stick to sovereign minted bullion where possible. Premiums on US minted silver are pretty stupid, so I would personally not buy that. I would probably stick to:

• US Mint 1 oz Gold Eagles
  • US Mint 1 oz Gold Buffalos
  • Perth Mint or RCM Gold Kilo Bars
  • Canadian Mint 1 oz Silver Maples
  • Perth or Royal Mint Kilo silver Bars depending on premiums
  • Canadian Mint 100 oz silver bars
  • Englehard 100 oz silver bars if they are on sale

And just plain jain bullion. Not proofs, not graded, not special editions. Just bullion. I would personally not buy rounds either. A lot of us use this website to find good deals:

https://findbullionprices.com/

Don't buy on eBay until you know what you are doing. Lots of scams there. But good deals too once you are a bit more experienced. Some of my favorite companies are:

• SD Bullion
  • Monument Metals
  • Bullion Exchanges
  • BOLD precious metals (Located in Austin)
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
maddiedou
AG
Todd 02 said:

Wealth diversification and stability is prolly the biggest reason. The vast majority of my wealth is tied up in mutual funds. Since January 2022, I've only seen an increase of ~$20k in those accounts, even though I've contributed at least three times that much in that time.

Second, I inherited a few coins from my dad recently and am trying to learn more about their value and potentially adding to his small collection.

You can text me and I can give you the grade and value of the coins
Eight
Two o
l87o
Aggiemike96
AG
Check with MaddieDou on what you have, they're a great resource.

Set a budget/allocation for precious metals and run with it. Just like other investments, don't try to "time" the market. Consistent purchasing will grow your "stack". I agree with Red Pear. Watch premiums (purchase price minus spot = premium). Eagles always seems to have the highest premiums.

I'm a Perth Mint fan. Their Lunars and Kookaburras seem a good mix between low-premium and collectible.

Approach Ebay with caution. Bullion Exchanges has a website that offers ACH, PayPal, credit card, etc. They also have Ebay, which can be purchased with credit card. Oddly, the Ebay CC price is very competitive to their website's "cash" price. For example: A roll of 2023 Perth Rabbits w/ privy are $603 cash price on their website and $614.86 on ebay for Credit Card price. Shop around is what I'm saying.

And, what is happening...I go into a morning meeting, walk out, and silver spot is up almost a dollar today?

Edit: Or build a time machine and go back to Friday when spot was $1.50 less than today.
techno-ag
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Given that information, I would personally do a mix of gold and silver coins and/or bars depending on how much you want to invest. I would try to stick to sovereign minted bullion where possible. Premiums on US minted silver are pretty stupid, so I would personally not buy that. I would probably stick to:

• US Mint 1 oz Gold Eagles
  • US Mint 1 oz Gold Buffalos
  • Perth Mint or RCM Gold Kilo Bars
  • Canadian Mint 1 oz Silver Maples
  • Perth or Royal Mint Kilo silver Bars depending on premiums
  • Canadian Mint 100 oz silver bars
  • Englehard 100 oz silver bars if they are on sale

And just plain jain bullion. Not proofs, not graded, not special editions. Just bullion. I would personally not buy rounds either. A lot of us use this website to find good deals:

https://findbullionprices.com/

Don't buy on eBay until you know what you are doing. Lots of scams there. But good deals too once you are a bit more experienced. Some of my favorite companies are:

• SD Bullion
  • Monument Metals
  • Bullion Exchanges
  • BOLD precious metals (Located in Austin)

I'd throw in TexMetals.com on that list.
Bocephus
AG
That's who I use
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Aggiemike96
AG
Bump back to the front page.

Metals have been on a roller coaster the past couple of weeks!
AggieT
AG
Has anyone else been hassled by Bullion Exchange? I have made two ACH purchases over the past few months. Apparently the second one got flagged. They want a picture of my ID next to my face and a signed form.
Pepper Brooks
AG
A couple 1oz kangaroo's arrived yesterday. It was my first buy from the Perth mint and my kids love these due to the animals. I may be buying exclusively from now on if it keeps my kids interested.
Andrew Dufresne
The rumor mill is saying that PAMP Suisse purchased APMEX
Aggiemike96
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

A couple 1oz kangaroo's arrived yesterday. It was my first buy from the Perth mint and my kids love these due to the animals. I may be buying exclusively from now on if it keeps my kids interested.

Get a lunar kilo from Perth!
Pookers
AG
Silver sub $23 again FYI.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Locking in some monster boxes before the fall in the fall....
rynning
AG
Any tips for the best way to sell coins?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Local coin shop, online dealers, or post em here.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
rynning said:

Any tips for the best way to sell coins?

Best way is P2P like here, or the reddit sales groups.

Reddit has a reputation system, so regular sellers/buyers will not risk their livelihood by ****ing you out of a couple hundred bucks. I wouldn't likely trust that system + USPS with a hundred grand of stuff, so it depends on what you're doing.
Andrew Dufresne
How cool would it have been to be alive in the late 60s and early 70s and be able to pull Silver coinage out of circulation with regularity, for free.

Did any of you older Ags do that back in the day? It's fascinating to think about.
jagvocate
AG
Andrew Dufresne said:

How cool would it have been to be alive in the late 60s and early 70s and be able to pull Silver coinage out of circulation with regularity, for free.

Did any of you older Ags do that back in the day? It's fascinating to think about.
My mom was a bank teller and did this for years. She kept her eyes out for pre-65s and had stacks on hand of 1965+ coinage to replace in her till. She has quite a few smaller bags of them today.
Andrew Dufresne
Being a Silver bug runs in your DNA
jagvocate
AG
Yes and I didn't even know about her "junk" silver bags until about a couple of years ago. Needless to say she was happy when I told her what the face value multiplier price was
idAg09
Anyone buy gold from Costco? Those 1oz 'PAMP Suisse Lady Fortuna' keep going in and out of stock.

I was able to order two on Friday before they went out of stock for $1,970 each no tax that should be delivered today.
Ranyaw19
Monument Metals has a starter pack of 5 silver rounds at spot - pretty sweet deal: Buy the Monument Starter Pack - 5 Silver Rounds at Spot Price | Monument Metals - Monument Metals
Jabin
idAg09 said:

Anyone buy gold from Costco? Those 1oz 'PAMP Suisse Lady Fortuna' keep going in and out of stock.

I was able to order two on Friday before they went out of stock for $1,970 each no tax that should be delivered today.
Interesting. Are those on the Costco website? I just searched it and came up with nada.
idAg09
Search in google and you will see the link. But link won't go anywhere since Costco pulls from website when OOS.

They've been going in and out of stock all month. I missed it at $1,900 because I was doing research and then saw it come back a few times at a higher price before I pulled the trigger.

Jabin
idAg09 said:

Search in google and you will see the link. But link won't go anywhere since Costco pulls from website when OOS.

They've been going in and out of stock all month. I missed it at $1,900 because I was doing research and then saw it come back a few times at a higher price before I pulled the trigger.

Thanks. What search terms do you use in google?
idAg09
Jabin said:

idAg09 said:

Thanks. What search terms do you use in google?

'Costco PAMP Suisse'. I noticed deal sites also mentioned the deal. I like to browse Slickdeals.net and that's where I first saw it and kept checking back. I'll try to past a link below.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16926229-1-oz-gold-bar-pamp-suisse-lady-fortuna-veriscan-new-in-assay-1969?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1
idAg09
https://www.costco.com/.product.1748080.html

Try this link for Costco in a private browser so you are not signed it.
TheVarian
AG
Got another one going

https://slickdeals.net/f/16931002-costco-members-1-troy-ounce-gold-bar-rand-refinery-new-in-assay-1969-99
idAg09
Oh, nice! I can probably buy two more (limit two) and 4% cash back with Citi Costco card makes it tempting
RoyVal
AG
HarleySpoon
AG
Andrew Dufresne said:

Yes I did…..day in and day out during the hot summers. Searching $20 face rolls at a time between various banks in town on my bike.

Then the Hunts tried to corner the silver market …..I sold it all at 24 times face and paid off my working class parents' mortgage. Was very, very lucky.

After that, most of it came into circulation when kids would steal from parents' stash.
Texker
AG
Andrew Dufresne said:

Yep, in the 70s. Also pulled some here and there in the early 80s in my bank job. Wheat pennies too. Still have them all. Good times.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.