Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

265,474 Views | 1871 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by TTUArmy
Bocephus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bleed maroon said:

I think I'm officially a convert to precious mineral ETFs, as opposed to physical bullion. My journey:

I bought several hundred silver one ounce mint coins, along with a few gold one ouncers back in 2013-2014. I pay for a large safe deposit box to store them (I have found that silver weighs a lot!). They have appreciated pretty well. I'm not unhappy with my results, HOWEVER:

- I would have done better by investing in silver and gold ETFs (which I also hold in my investment portfolio). ETFs have much lower transaction costs, and you could argue lower ongoing expense ratios, while providing easy and immediate ways to liquidate holdings if needed. NOTE: metals are merely a small asset class in my portfolio, to hedge against inflation and help ensure diversification.

- The premium paid for buying minted coins, the super-wide bid/ask spreads for physical metals, and the personal hassle to buy, sell, and ship the product pretty much ensures that ETFs will outperform every time. The fact that there are no dividends paid limit the upside of metals overall, and make them useless as an income-generating asset, UNLESS you have an ETF where you can write covered calls, for example.

- The doomsday scenario never made any sense to me. If the stuff really does hit the fan, and safety, security, and sustenance are at a premium, bartering directly for those will be how it works - no intermediary means of exchange will be needed if we reach that basic level. If the stock market is gone, canned goods, guns, bullets, etc. will be where the value would be. If there is a nuclear war, we're probably all dead anyway, so who cares who has the biggest gold stash?

At some point in the near future, I will sell the physical coins - I'll post on here to avoid the horrendous discounts that bullion dealers insist on. I'm converted, but not too unhappy with the status quo.

Convince me I'm wrong, if you please!

You may indeed be right. The what if is why I have physical metal.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
joekm3
GeoAg15
AG
Located in Katy, NTR Metals 10z .999 sliver bars, sealed in sleeves.

09Ag
AG
I'm new into stacking silver and I was looking at monster boxes of silver oz and it looks like ASE are about $1700 more than every other type of sovereign. Is there a logical reason for this high of a premium? It seems like going with Krugerrands or Leafs would make more sense with that big of a discount.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I think there are objectively a lot of reasons why the maple leaf is a better coin for stacking than the ASE.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
09Ag
AG
What reasons besides the lesser premium?
AggieT
AG
Essentially the same thing.

Just as recognizable.

Prettier.

Cheaper.

Isn't supposed to get milk spots.
09Ag
AG
Makes sense. Why is a monster box of Leafs $17,400 on APMEX and $16,200 on monument metals? Seems like I'm missing something with that big of a difference for the exact same product.
AggieT
AG
Who knows. Supply? Hedge positions?

Both are reputable. Buy the cheapest.
AggieT
AG
I also like Britannias. Great looking coins, easily recognizable.
HTXAg11
AG
09Ag said:

What reasons besides the lesser premium?

https://learn.apmex.com/learning-guide/bullion/american-eagle-vs-canadian-maple-leaf/
TTUArmy
AggieT said:

I also like Britannias. Great looking coins, easily recognizable.

The front side of Maples and Britannias are beautiful. It's the obverse that keeps me from buying them. As prices and premiums rise for ASEs, as well as availability - Hello Costco! - I might consider them.
jagvocate
AG
09Ag said:

Makes sense. Why is a monster box of Leafs $17,400 on APMEX and $16,200 on monument metals? Seems like I'm missing something with that big of a difference for the exact same product.
APMEX is usually the highest priced online. They sell silver on Walmart.com at much lower prices, however, and if you make it to VIP status you can get emailed deals that are competitive with other online retailers, but that takes a while.

HarleySpoon
AG
09Ag said:

I'm new into stacking silver and I was looking at monster boxes of silver oz and it looks like ASE are about $1700 more than every other type of sovereign. Is there a logical reason for this high of a premium? It seems like going with Krugerrands or Leafs would make more sense with that big of a discount.
There is an argument that US govt issued legal tender including constitutional silver along with ASE and gold eagles might remain legal to own if precious metals ownership is once again banned by the govt. Not saying it is a great reason….but it is often one of the reasons cited. Also, a mint sealed, unopened monster box has some numismatic potential vs an opened box.
Brewmaster
AG
I came on here to try and prove you wrong. I did the math this morning. SLV vs spot prices, SLV is almost identical.

Now here's the interesting part, take a small silver miner like FSM vs silver per oz, FSM blows it away. No comparison. I think what most here like, is they have the physical asset either in their possession or stored in a place they trust. I'd suggest own a bit of both, but that's just my personal preference.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
AggieT said:

Essentially the same thing.

Just as recognizable.

Prettier.

Cheaper.

Isn't supposed to get milk spots.

Plus better security. Probably more widely accepted/recognized globally.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
I bleed maroon
AG
Brewmaster said:

I came on here to try and prove you wrong. I did the math this morning. SLV vs spot prices, SLV is almost identical.

Now here's the interesting part, take a small silver miner like FSM vs silver per oz, FSM blows it away. No comparison. I think what most here like, is they have the physical asset either in their possession or stored in a place they trust. I'd suggest own a bit of both, but that's just my personal preference.

I think you missed my comparison (which was SLV vs. actual bullion), but you raise some other interesting issues.

Looking at APMEX (a reputable bullion dealer), they have the following prices:

-Spot price $29.67 (actually not that meaningful, except when comparing to the past, or if you're able to trade actual silver commodity futures)
-American Silver Eagles $39.66 ask
-SLV $27.12 (not a comparable rate, except compared to itself in the past), but highly correlated to the spot price, as you mention
-100 oz. silver bar = $32.16 (closer to spot pricing, but still significantly more expensive)

Miners - while they are heavily influenced by the price of the metal, there is also a huge impact from the quality of their management and operations, their lease terms, capital structure, and many other normal business factors which should be analyzed like any other public company. They're not a pure silver play, and not all miners perform equally.

My issue is that every alternative to SLV, you arguably get worse to much worse value for your dollar. This is before adding in transaction costs, potential for forgery, shipping fees, storage, and then repeating those when you sell. Physical metals makes people feel good, but it is simply not the best economic alternative. If you get joy out of looking at your stash now and then, by all means, go for it. BUT, if you want to treat it like an investment, an ETF is the only way to go (unless you find a low-fee futures trading approach, which again is usually traded "on paper", not involving actual physical delivery).

SLV is not perfect - it too has expenses, reflected in an expense ratio. While very liquid, it may not have perfect supply/demand balance when YOU want to buy or sell, so there is some potential wastage there. but, it's way better than physical in every way (see my dismissal of the doomsday thoughts above - your mileage may vary).

By the way, I have a mix of physical and ETFs, and am not dissatisfied - just trying to share a different perspective with the board.
LMCane
I bought some shares of Southern Copper Corp Mining and Freeport-McMorran yesterday
TTUArmy
jagvocate said:

09Ag said:

APMEX is usually the highest priced online. They sell silver on Walmart.com at much lower prices, however, and if you make it to VIP status you can get emailed deals that are competitive with other online retailers, but that takes a while.

Yeah...that APMEX VIP status took quite a few orders. I really didn't know I had hit VIP until I was putting an order away in the safe and noticed my receipts were different colors. I thought they had just run out of the stock color receipts.
jagvocate
AG
https://mises.org/mises-wire/dollar-falters-gold-becomes-insurance-not-speculation

Good insight into minds of folks needing to sell right now and folks that are buying still.

For me, it's a long game. I thought I was "late" in 2005 when I started (I'd missed a heck of a run-up since '99/'00) ... but it's gone up quite a lot since then. I truly and honestly believe people purchasing for first times now will feel the same in 2035 onwards.

TTUArmy
05/17/2024

Gold - $2407.05
Silver - $30.71
jagvocate
AG
GladiatorPic.gif

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

Brewmaster
AG
I bleed maroon said:

Brewmaster said:

I think you missed my comparison (which was SLV vs. actual bullion), but you raise some other interesting issues.

Looking at APMEX (a reputable bullion dealer), they have the following prices:

-Spot price $29.67 (actually not that meaningful, except when comparing to the past, or if you're able to trade actual silver commodity futures)
-American Silver Eagles $39.66 ask
-SLV $27.12 (not a comparable rate, except compared to itself in the past), but highly correlated to the spot price, as you mention
-100 oz. silver bar = $32.16 (closer to spot pricing, but still significantly more expensive)

Miners - while they are heavily influenced by the price of the metal, there is also a huge impact from the quality of their management and operations, their lease terms, capital structure, and many other normal business factors which should be analyzed like any other public company. They're not a pure silver play, and not all miners perform equally.

My issue is that every alternative to SLV, you arguably get worse to much worse value for your dollar. This is before adding in transaction costs, potential for forgery, shipping fees, storage, and then repeating those when you sell. Physical metals makes people feel good, but it is simply not the best economic alternative. If you get joy out of looking at your stash now and then, by all means, go for it. BUT, if you want to treat it like an investment, an ETF is the only way to go (unless you find a low-fee futures trading approach, which again is usually traded "on paper", not involving actual physical delivery).

SLV is not perfect - it too has expenses, reflected in an expense ratio. While very liquid, it may not have perfect supply/demand balance when YOU want to buy or sell, so there is some potential wastage there. but, it's way better than physical in every way (see my dismissal of the doomsday thoughts above - your mileage may vary).

By the way, I have a mix of physical and ETFs, and am not dissatisfied - just trying to share a different perspective with the board.
Phenomenal post sir, great points. I love looking at the numbers. SLV this morning seems to be lagging silver spot price, but I expect it's just a slow mover (it will get there). I'm somewhat a newb to metals and metals ETF's.

Despite the doomsday scenarios in the markets, there will be a lot of money to be made on the metals side.
Outdoorag011
6 years ago I was buying gold for $1200 at coin shows. Times have changed…..
Aggie_2463
AG
I've been holding silver since 2014 lol think my avg is $20 all in American eagles ….finally I'm rich! Not really
I bleed maroon
AG
Outdoorag011 said:

6 years ago I was buying gold for $1200 at coin shows. Times have changed…..
I looked at 2018, and it looks like spot prices ranged from $1200-1350, approximately. So if you found coins or bullion and paid actual spot prices or below, somehow, then you made a great deal. I am very skeptical of this, but if so, kudos to you!
Outdoorag011
I like to invest in a few different miners. Not a huge fan of SLV though, as you can probably tell haha. Pretty shady to me when the custodian of SLV (JP Morgan) has the largest fine to date for precious metals manipulation.
Outdoorag011
This is from eBay, so not a coin show. Spot was $1223 at the time… $7 over spot. Bought this bar from Apmex which is widely considered to have the highest premiums. I attended the grapevine coin show which was early November of 2018 I believe. Spot was around $1200. Many dealers offering $5 over spot or spot price if you bought multiple items. Like i said in a previous post…. premiums used to be non existent.
maddiedou
AG
maddiedou
I bleed maroon
AG
Well, those truly were the good old days!

I got one gold piece from a dealer (online) at spot, as a one-time promo they did (several years ago), with no shipping charges. I think we should share these offers on this thread if they ever happen again!
Outdoorag011
If you were skeptical before, you really wouldn't believe me when I say a lot of us used to buy gold and silver below spot. Sometimes dang near half off. All my OG eBay buyers that signed up for Ebucks know what I'm talking about.
I bleed maroon
AG
Outdoorag011 said:

If you were skeptical before, you really wouldn't believe me when I say a lot of us used to buy gold and silver below spot. Sometimes dang near half off. All my OG eBay buyers that signed up for Ebucks know what I'm talking about.
That's also great - glad you got in on that when you could! Someone obviously took an economic loss, as refining the metal into coins and packaging/transporting them does cost money.

But, even if it's in your favor as a buyer, it does relate to one of my big issues with physical metals - it's not remotely as efficient a market as an ETF. The bid/ask spreads are dislocated from reality at times, and recent data shows around 5-10% of principal both ways. If the intended use is as a long term store of value, that's not as big a deal, but if you want to transact often, it's a real drain on flexibility and short-term value.
jagvocate
AG
I bleed maroon said:

if you want to transact often, it's a real drain on flexibility and short-term value.
Buying physical to "transact often" is like trying to find a wife on tinder. With some luck and timing some are able to do it, but that's not really what it's for ...

As for ETFs? Research the recent physical drains of their product ... in a year we may not have precious metal ETFs. They'll settle you out for the dollar price of your position on the way to closing while others have the "precious" ... the real, physical deal.

erudite
Silver hit ~$34 in China open earlier today (Yesterday for them).

Anyone stack "non-standard" metals like Platinum, palladium or iridium? Any tips on those?
JR Ewing
AG
Does anyone collect copper?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.