Diablo IV

88,072 Views | 1165 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by txag2k
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Madmarttigan said:

Necro leveling speed is definitely way faster as well. Rogue picks up once you get imbuement. Barb is a little painful.

Heard Druid is rough too but haven't tried.

Druid is definitely rough early on. I died to mobs on my druid that I easily beat on my sorc, barb and necro
Hagen95
AG
Enjoyed this weekend with the necro.
WGann3
AG
Necro is a straight up beast, and fun as hell to play. I was planning to start with a ranged Rogue just because I'm a huge sucker for bows in all ARPGs. But man, this weekend with the Necro has me reconsidering. My only complaint about Necro is the skeletons look a tad too cartoony for my taste but it does make them stand out from enemies which is a positive.
Madmarttigan
AG
Probably going to be 50% necros on opening day
All I do is Nguyen
Not this guy, rolling a barbarian!! Also I'd put money on sorc because chain's lightning = easy mode
AliasMan02
AG
When you roll a new character I guess you have to do the intro missions again? For the sake of the story they all are the same I assume. Are those dungeons and loot randomly generated or are they all the same?
Sponge
AG
I took a barb to lvl 15, finished Lilith's lament, and I won't be buying the game. It felt very boring to me with much of the map running isolated paths with very few enemies on them. Enemies were extremely weak and bosses were very strong. With the potion system it seemed to be a matter of survival with bosses. So it was just constant running in circles taking a few strategic hits and then more evading. Iron skin was useless because it would absorb one hit then have a 12 second cool down where tanking was impossible.
And why do merchants have nothing in stock? Two or three items? Also I could sell gear for ~250 but buying the one item in stock that might be a little upgrade would cost ~20K.
D2R with the recent patches is getting a lot more fun so I'm sticking with that.
AliasMan02
AG
A lot of that is just beta stuff. Especially the vendors. I can't imagine it won't be waaaaay more robust at launch.

I also assume the overland population of monsters is about server resources.
DallasTeleAg
Also, important to realize yall have only played to level 25 with these classes. Each class comes into their own in various ways.

I guarantee you my melee frost rogue at level 50 clears mobs just as good, if not better, than a necro. Necro just doesn't require as many legendary powers to get to the higher end of its curve than rogues and barbarians do. Rogue gets 3 weapon legendary slots and Barb gets 4. Those extra slots are massive buffs, but will require you to at least clear a specific dungeon.

Once you get to Nightmare dungeons and such, builds that kill trash quickly are not necessarily the strongest. You will need to find a balance in mobility, power, and survivability
Madmarttigan
AG
You picked one of the more boring characters and quit when he finally starts getting better. Also using iron skin probably not a great starting build either.
AliasMan02
AG
Didn't get to play as much as I'd have liked, just hitting 8th level, but that was a lot of fun. Felt a lot like old times. I barely played D3, so maybe some of the things I view as new were present there, but lots of quality of life stuff. How potions work, access to the town portal, not having to identify items, free respecs until level 15... all good stuff.

Queue times were next to nothing on the Xbox and it did lag and kick me out a lot, but that's not too surprising for the beta. Didn't get to party up and go that route, but I'm unlikely to do much of that anyway.

I'll wait to buy, probably. Replaying ME3 will take me a while then I'll do Jedi Survivor. Unlikely I'll need anything between then and Starfield coming out. So D4 probably shows up in my world next year sometime?

If there's another open beta I'll jump in again.
Madmarttigan
AG
I've been asked what game it's like and I honestly feel like it is a combination of D2, D3, and Diablo immortal.

Honestly Diablo immortal could have been my favorite Diablo game if they removed legendary gems. It had a lot of good things in it, but overshadowed by p2w.
Artorias
AG
Madmarttigan said:

I've been asked what game it's like and I honestly feel like it is a combination of D2, D3, and Diablo immortal.

Honestly Diablo immortal could have been my favorite Diablo game if they removed legendary gems. It had a lot of good things in it, but overshadowed by p2w.
I like the online/mmo elements from D:Imm they included in D4. I dig the online overworld with other players running around, public events, world bosses, etc. Makes the game feel more alive. Hopefully D4 doesn't have some of the F2P gatekeeping systems that Immortal had. Not expecting it to since it is a retail game.
javajaws
AG
In the 2 weekends I got sorc and necro to 25 and the other to 17 or so. Agree the ranged guys have it easy in the early levels but that most likely changes later. Game won't be perfect on launch, but the core is good enough they'll make tweaks and fixes like they always do and it'll be worth it long term.
Hagen95
AG
WGann3 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for full release in June. My biggest concern at this point is still the loot which I mentioned in a previous post. Diablo is all about the iconic loot so you've got to get that right.

Something else that stood out to me and it wasn't a major issue, I got used to it pretty quick... but did any of you feel like you were zoomed in a tad too much at the maximum zoom out? It just felt like we were more on top of our character than ever before in a Diablo game. There's a spot in the Act 1 playthrough where the isometric view zooms out a bit and I found myself going now THAT'S how far zoomed out I want my camera permanently fixed.

I watched a streamer point out about how zoomed in a normal screen is. He changed his settings to ultra wide and there was a ton of real estate still available. His sorc could teleport so much further!

Pretty crazy. I may have to up my monitor game.
txag2k
AG
Hagen95 said:

WGann3 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for full release in June. My biggest concern at this point is still the loot which I mentioned in a previous post. Diablo is all about the iconic loot so you've got to get that right.

Something else that stood out to me and it wasn't a major issue, I got used to it pretty quick... but did any of you feel like you were zoomed in a tad too much at the maximum zoom out? It just felt like we were more on top of our character than ever before in a Diablo game. There's a spot in the Act 1 playthrough where the isometric view zooms out a bit and I found myself going now THAT'S how far zoomed out I want my camera permanently fixed.

I watched a streamer point out about how zoomed in a normal screen is. He changed his settings to ultra wide and there was a ton of real estate still available. His sorc could teleport so much further!

Pretty crazy. I may have to up my monitor game.
Dam. Wish I saw that. My only issue is the view looking not panned out enough.
Madmarttigan
AG
It's super zoomed in when in town but I thought it was mostly fine once you left town.
WGann3
AG
Yeah it wasn't a huge deal, just wish I could zoom out a tiny bit more. When you enter Kor Valar it zooms out a ton and I found myself going, oh man, I wish I could get closer to this level of zoom out. Not quite that zoomed out but somewhere in between.
bbattbq01
AG
Over the two weekends I got all of the classes to 25…

I'd rank them on the lvl 1-25 experience:
Sorc
Necro
Barb/rogue
Druid.

Druid was painful. I'm hoping that whatever is locked behind the lvl 15 quest is really good because I really wanted to play a Druid, but he was so painfully bad at killing.
DallasTeleAg
Druid in PvP used to piss me off, so they can definitely dish out the damage. I never played on during closed beta, so don't know what their 15 quest did.
Artorias
AG
That pretty much mirrors my ranking of the classes. Druid is bad, at least at the lower levels. Maybe it spikes in power later in the game?
Madmarttigan
AG
All of these things could massively change end game with full legendaries. It's really hard to judge a class balance when we only got the first half.

What I didn't like is a lot of the Barb animations feel clunky to me like upheaval and rupture. Rogue was a lot smoother to play.
WGann3
AG
I thought the male Rogue looked goofy as hell running. Really liked the ranged abilities of it though.
AtlAg05
AG
The thing I'm seeing a lot of criticism is the itemization. Probably the best summation is simply, I want to use this skill (say full elemental Druid). Sure you can take the skills but at some point you will have to wait until you randomly get the right items to progress into later content. Which is basically what D3 was.
WGann3
AG
AtlAg05 said:

The thing I'm seeing a lot of criticism is the itemization. Probably the best summation is simply, I want to use this skill (say full elemental Druid). Sure you can take the skills but at some point you will have to wait until you randomly get the right items to progress into later content. Which is basically what D3 was.
Yeah I'm pretty concerned about itemization. I'm going to go into full launch with an open mind, but my skepticism level is about an 8/10 right now. I think it'll be an improvement over D3 which is a start, but how much so remains to be seen for me. One mechanic that will never sit well with me is skill damage being based off of weapon damage. It just doesn't feel right and never will.
Madmarttigan
AG
If you don't do this won't it just turn into D2 again where low gear caster far outweigh physical chars until they get gear?

I like for all classes to have fun leveling an gearing and tying in progression to item level and weapon damage much easier to balance. Obviously the nature of AoE caster skills makes them stronger/faster at the beginning but I expect it to even out later.
Artorias
AG
I am curious to see if the pace of acquiring Legendary items remains the same in final version as it did in beta. Looking at the map, it seems like the demo area/level 25 is only a fraction of the game, but all my characters were close to decked out in all legendary items by the time I hit 25. Obviously, they were only level 25-ish legendary items, but my fear is if they keep the same itemization pace as the beta, the excitement of getting a legendary item will quickly fade. Previous Diablo games I felt the pace was pretty good. Hoping it is adjusted for final version.
WGann3
AG
There's definitely some pros to what they're doing. I'm sure it's an absolute mathematical nightmare to scale and balance it the other way. I'm just saying it feels weird to me, I never got used to it in D3, I just lived with it. I'll do the same with D4.
DallasTeleAg
AtlAg05 said:

Not really true. Most of, if not all of, the legendary powers can be found as dungeon rewards so you can apply them to Rares. However, that will only give you the least powerful of that particular legendary power. You would be farming to find a more powerful version of that legendary power to use, instead, as well as a good Rare that gives you + to important skills and stats.
wangus12
AG
I think they did say that they upped the Legendary drop rates just for the beta.
Hagen95
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

AtlAg05 said:

Not really true. Most of, if not all of, the legendary powers can be found as dungeon rewards so you can apply them to Rares. However, that will only give you the least powerful of that particular legendary power. You would be farming to find a more powerful version of that legendary power to use, instead, as well as a good Rare that gives you + to important skills and stats.
This is not what I recall from the closed beta. There were some skills that could only be found on weapons and some skills that were only available through dungeon rewards. Maybe they changed that through the process, but it was a mix of both originally. You could strip them off of weaker weapons and imprint onto better ones, one time at least. I do think rares will have more value due to the other attributes they can bring to your character and then you just add the legendary skill you want.
DallasTeleAg
All legendary powers gained from completing dungeons were also ones you could find in the world, they were just the lowest power value. I just cant remember if you could find every legendary power from a dungeon, or if it was only a select few.

The benefit was that most legendary powers could be found on any one piece of armor, ring, amulet, or weapon. So if you were looking for a specific higher roll for an armor legendary power, you could find it on Helms, gloves, chest, or boots.

I remember those nightmare dungeons started getting super hard as you leveled them. Finding that balance of survivability and ability to kill enemies quickly became key to successfully completing those dungeons to level your... were they gems? I can't remember exactly what those items were that you socketed into your paragon tables.
Cromagnum
AG
Artorias said:

I am curious to see if the pace of acquiring Legendary items remains the same in final version as it did in beta. Looking at the map, it seems like the demo area/level 25 is only a fraction of the game, but all my characters were close to decked out in all legendary items by the time I hit 25. Obviously, they were only level 25-ish legendary items, but my fear is if they keep the same itemization pace as the beta, the excitement of getting a legendary item will quickly fade. Previous Diablo games I felt the pace was pretty good. Hoping it is adjusted for final version.

In launch D3, legendary drop rate was abysmal. I found only one until they finally revamped the system and they started dropping with the orange pillars of light and star on the minimap.
AtlAg05
AG
I preferred that to having to sift through an inventory full of legendaries. It was more meaningful to get a drop
WGann3
AG
AtlAg05 said:

I preferred that to having to sift through an inventory full of legendaries. It was more meaningful to get a drop
I know where you're coming from on this, and I prefer the legendaries and uniques to be more meaningful too, but vanilla D3 was absolutely absurd when it came to the uniques dropping. Like we're talking 50+ hours for a single unique, and they sucked at launch too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.