Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What A&M needs to do TODAY

33,691 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by SiValleyAg68
Liucci
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Hey guys...a lot of stuff is happening and we've been all over it with updates as they happen in real time. With the nature of this story and the ever-changing situation, you might want to really consider jumping on board with a premium subscription for just a month. It will allow you to get all of the latest updates with accurate and timely information. It will also give you an opportunity to see what we're all about.

To upgrade your subscription, click on the following link and select the "Premium" option: TexAgs.com/subscribe

The following is my latest post, sharing my opinion on what the Aggies actually hold the cards in this deal and why I feel they should sit tight and make the most informed decision possible.

-----------

In my opinion, this is pretty simple and the Ags could play this perfectly if they wait. That's it. Wait. Texas overplayed its hand early and is now trying to commandeer saving the Big 12. They could very well pull it off. If they do, the credit should go to A&M. After all, it was A&M NOT Texas still trying to preserve the league when officials from both schools met in Austin on Thursday.

If Texas announces something today in regards to trying to keep the Big 12 together, A&M should wait. Regroup and come to the decision that is the ABSOLUTE BEST for A&M. Not the politically correct or popular move. What's BEST for Texas A&M and Texas A&M athletics moving forward. That is NOT a decision that needs to be made today.

What is the Big 12 going to do? Pressure A&M into jumping in at the same time with everyone? Are you kidding me? The Ags hold the cards here, not Texas, not anyone else. This is a power move by the Horns, a pressure play if ever there was one. Even if the Ags do decide the Big 12 is the best bet, they can take their time with this thing and not be pressured. The Big 12 isn't going anywhere and, even if it did, A&M would have this neat little conference called the SEC to fall back on.

The irony of Texas' latest play could be that it actually takes some of the pressure OFF of A&M, at least in terms of a timetable.

The Aggies haven't had one but TWO meetings with SEC officials over the past two weeks and came away VERY impressed. However, under no circumstances did the A&M decision-makers want to be forced to choose the SEC because the Pac-10 offer wasn't available. The goal was ALWAYS to make the best choice for Texas A&M University...not the one they HAD to make.

That, my friends, is what makes the concept that A&M turned down the Pac-10 yesterday so incredibly laughable. In light of what's happened today and late last night, don't you think a deal would have been done almost immediately after telling the Pac-10 no? Or before even?

Just wait and make the right decision. Leave no doubt.

[This message has been edited by Liucci (edited 6/14/2010 2:49p).]
Wizard of Ahhhhs
AG
Thanks Looch! All I can hope for from the top brass is that they make the absolute bast choice for the school I hold so dear.
QBCade
AG
agree, we don't need to rush this... We are now holding the cards... Everyone on the board is acting like we've made a decision and it's wrong... sheesh...
texag_89
Just wish there was a track record of this in the last decade or 2...

quote:
Just wait and make the right decision. Leave no doubt.
ham98
I hope that's how our leadership is playing the game, but I am not going to hold my breath. I got a bad feeling that some of our regents like and admire our rivals in Austin.
94 Aggie
myhousekey
AG
I guess I just can't understand why joining the SEC is not the best decision.

[This message has been edited by myhousekey (edited 6/14/2010 2:57p).]
DecadePlan
AG
I do totally agree Looch.

We're all getting worked up but there's a very real possibility that if the Pac 10 isn't going to get into the Big XII market, the SEC might change its mind too.

We do need to hold these cards and see how it plays out.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna panic and feel sick,.
Bang to Hype
I just wonder if the sec offer is contingent on the sec being able to bring in another team as well
myhousekey
AG
Rumor I've heard most is that the other SEC team would be VA Tech. Who knows.
MouthBQ98
AG
Waiting kills the PAC-XX deal, and puts pressure on everyone else. We could get some interesting demands met if we did so. Hell, we should be able to extort about anything we want out of the Big12-2 at this point, and SHOULD after all this bullcrap.
DTP02
AG
quote:
That "other" site is saying some not so nice things about you FYI.

That other site probably would have been better off just sitting this thing out on the sidelines. Their report that we turned down the Pac-10 was not only embarassingly wrong, but it actually played right into the 'horn propaganda machine. Not a good week for them.

[This message has been edited by DTP02 (edited 6/14/2010 3:02p).]
coachk07
Looch thanks, but is the SEC still willing to go to 13 teams if no other league has?

Meaning, our offer better still be good. I felt like the SEC was not looking to expand until they thought other conferences were going to a super conference style of over 12, now the SEC could be the first if they try to save the Big12 and we move first.....interesting.
aggiebones
AG
I thought you just said early that you think they are going to just stay in the Little 10.
If so, then who cares. Facts are hard to come by and no doubt there is just as much false rumors in the pay area as here.

Is there any real backbone to any rumors in there? Why pay now?
If we stay in the Little 10, then I'll be throwing my computer out the window and have no need of pay information. Who wants to read pay information about staying in the little sister league.
If you had some facts about us heading anywhere else, then that might be exciting to see, but at this point, I'm losing interest and not believing that we will make the right choice. And its gonna piss me off so bad that I'll turn a blind eye to the program for a good while.
WestAustinAg
AG
Write your president today. It matters.

president@tamu.edu

Let him know what you think.
Tacosaurus
Am I the only one who doesn't understand how a Big 12 TV deal could command higher revenues then the current SEC deal? I don't see why anyone outside of Texas would want to watch games other than the tu/ou & aTm/tu games. In other words, where does this 'magical' money come from. If I were running a network, I wouldn't invest that much money in a sub-tier BCS conference.
dichotomic
In a watered down Big12-2, the sips will run the show and the sooners will be their navigator. You can just crown the winner of the Cotton Bowl game conference champs 90% of the time! The rest of us will lose any identity in the Football world and this Conference will cease to exist in a few years with the sips and sooners heading for greener pastures and the rest of us treading water. Bank on it. A&M needs to move now or forever be lost in the shuffle. This is our chance to once again be prominent as a Tier 1 football program.
nbbob
To play devil's advocate here.....

Imagine Texas and OU abruptly change their minds and decide to go to the SEC (the SEC had Texas as their first choice - let's not forget that). Then the Pac 10 isn't interested in OK State, Texas Tech, A&M and Baylor as a 4 school addition. In that case, A&M could be left being in the Big 12 without Texas, OU, Nebraska and Colorado. They could rename it the Big 8 I guess. If I'm A&M and I know the SEC wants Texas more I make my move before they change their mind. If not, I get with Texas and agree to be a package deal wherever they decide. In either situation, A&M isn't the one holding the cards but it beats being left holding the bag.
Wizard of Ahhhhs
AG
I bit and upgraded to premium. I can't tell you if it's worth it or not because the value is perceived diferently by everyone. But I can tell you, I have calmed down a bit since I submitted the payment. And I have cool new icons...
Datman
AG
quote:
...I'm losing interest and not believing that we will make the right choice. And its gonna piss me off so bad that I'll turn a blind eye to the program for a good while.

Amen that brother bones. We are currently as irrelevant as Tech when it comes to football. We would become even more so by remaining in the Texas Longhorn conference while they start their own network and keep all the money. If we let that happen, then let's just change our name to UT College Station and quit playing football. I would no longer care at that point.

We better be getting some major concessions on the TV revenue front.
Texaggie7nine
Damn you!!
You convinced me.

CHaTmPS
Waiting only gives your opponents a chance to solidify their political opposition.
txags11
AG
Well Looch just said our powerbrokers are meeting at 4:00 and we will know something by the end of the day. That makes me think we are leaning towards SEC..WHY RUSH INTO BIG12-2?
Tx Aggie War Hymn
Let me get this straight. You advocate waiting. OK. You are in a presumed position to know more than the unwashed Aggie public.

However, the strategy of waiting is not necessarily the winning strat. if in fact, a deal which is in the best interest of the program and the institution is on the plate. One must conclude here that you know this is a situation of this type. Thank you for the insight.

Riding multiple horses to a finish line can leave a rider a lot worse off than sore.

Best to you.

JrockingR
Sabreman
AG
For the Big 12 to survive and actually work, A&M needs to demand a LEAGUE NETWORK and EQUAL REVENUE SHARING. If not, the sips will continue getting richer and we'll be right back at this same place again in 5 years.

Sabreman '92

Citizen Reign
It looks like the waiting tactic went over the time limit.
Picadillo
We will rue the day we walk away from an SEC offer and be part of the strongest athletic conference in the nation. It's time to really mean what we sing...."GOODBYE TO TEXAS UNIVERSITY...SO LONG TO THE ORANGE AND THE WHITE".

The first few seasons will be uncomfortable...in football only however, until we begin to OUTRECRUIT t.u. for the talent in the state.

Aglaw91
Stay in the Big 12-2 and let tu start their own network. What a great idea!!!!(sarcasm)

There is a great deal of political pressure being exerted to keep A&M in line with tu. tu needs to stop A&M from joining the SEC, and the Aggie faithful are starting to demand a move to the SEC. I think we are going to start hearing Aggie talking heads with allegiance to those political forces talking about what a great deal this is for us. When I hear Aggies saying A&M should really consider this new proposal, I question their motivation.

When the Big 12-2 falls apart in 3 years and the sips have their own network, I am sure they are going to stand up for us poooor aggies. Don't you remember when tu has talked about starting their own network in the past, they included A&M in the deal. Right?
AP04
The best for A&M is to leave UT.

Unless maybe they promise to hire some A&M grads to work at their tv station. I guess that would be a nice gesture.
Great2BeAnAGGIE
AG
You can tell em that they will lose this 20+ year season ticket holder if we remain in the Little 10 conf.
Maybe that is the stuff they will understand.
aggiemom93
No do not cancel your tickets. A&M WILL make the best choice for us. IF we pull out, we owe $10 million dollars to Big/Little 12. If we WAIT and let it implode, we owe nothing. I AGREE that SEC would be best for us, but I won't give up my Aggie Season Tickets for anything (unless I go broke). There's a lot to consider--just saying.
readycash
AG
This 17 year season ticket holder will also vacate my seats as well. It's time for a new direction.

"Be the ball Danny.....be the ball."
LHAG92
AG
When the dust settles, if the little 10 is formed, tu gets what they wanted all along having played the PAC and every little 10 school like a fiddle. Pathetic.

NU realized the poison and wanted none of it.

[This message has been edited by LHAG92 (edited 6/14/2010 4:04p).]
KVK77TexAg
AG
Hey Billy. Just heard you on KILT Sportstalk 610 AM in Houston. You were good! Loved what you had to say and agree, A&M needs to WAIT and make the best decision for A&M and A&M Athletics. Question...if Big 12 does stay together who do they add to get it back to 12 teams? UH, TCU? Also, does it make sense to stay IF you (A&M) thinks that tu is going to just play this game all over again in 2-4 years???
BlueTeam02
Exactly. Wake me when Texas or Oklahoma leave.

The north was always the weaker sister in the Big 12, they knew they had no chance to compete against Texas (the state, not tu) recruits so they had to take care of theirs. So long, farewell, who cares...

I think we should kick out Iowa State, and Baylor and go back to the Big 8 - then START YOUR OWN NETWORK, and start printing money like everyone else.

The new Big 8 will STILL be the second best conference in College Athletics (especially with USC on probation).

Patience people. And our own network. The two things we really need.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.