Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The "Sea" of orange in the student section

16,453 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by TheAggieMissingLink
Aston04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
And people ***** about tu thinking OU us their rival.....wonder why? Their students & fans show up win or lose......

Horrible example... They only have to sell 1/2 their Cotten Bowl allotment each year, which equals roughly half the capacity of Kyle Field. I'm fairly certain no matter how bad we'd suck, getting 40k for the tu game wouldn't be a problem, considering over 60k Ags were at the game this year.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
What's this we noise about the early 80s? You were in school in 98. Don't sit here and try to act like you waited around to get your tickets in the early 80s and soldiered through the hard times.
hmiles619
AG
quote:
Students were dumb. Say good bye to a lot of 1st deck seats.

Who's gonna buy them you retard?
texasbug
AG
Yeah, AgMarauder, we CAN blame them. I've benn in their shoes, but I never missed a single football game when I was there, not one. Not even when I had bronchitis and it was sleeting and freezing, no matter the odds of us losing, no matter that I had to go to work both before and after the game. It's called being an Aggie.
Aston04
AG
^Well former students sitting in the zone could be shifted to the 1st deck, for a bump in donation. While moving former students to the first deck wouldn't likely improve attendance, it would shift more empty seats to the cheap upper deck ones in the zone, thus giving a revenue bump for more premiums paid for the 1st deck seats...

(FYI: I'm against this, but it would likely increase revenue)

[This message has been edited by Aston04 (edited 11/27/2005 1:10p).]
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Neither have the vast majority of us. You're b****ing at the wrong people.
1876er
AG
quote:
When we were getting blown out year after year during the early '80's, the student tickets were sold out

Were you there in teh early 80's...I've talked to many former students from the early 80's, and they've said that Kyle Field didn't sell out then...
LilGiant
A couple of comments:

(1) Last week. I saw many many many alumni side seats being auctioned on eBay. I'm sure plenty of Horns fans took those as well. You can't just blame the students.

(2) Someone posted way back up there blaming the "10%" "smart" kids for "taking up space". What exactly does that mean? That "smart" kids don't like football? Or does it mean that those are the only "smart" kids at A&M? I know that's not the case but that's sure how it sounds. I don't see how admitting top 10% kids has any effect on football attendance. Can you explain that to me?
1876er
AG
quote:
^Well former students sitting in the zone could be shifted to the 1st deck, for a bump in donation. While moving former students to the first deck wouldn't likely improve attendance, it would shift more empty seats to the cheap upper deck ones in the zone, thus giving a revenue bump for more premiums paid for the 1st deck seats...

Every year there are tickets available on the west side on all three decks...They haven't sold out recently because the price is too high, and we have been terrible...Making more available wouldn't do much...Some of yall are clueless...
Quincey P. Morris
AG
quote:
Were you there in teh early 80's...I've talked to many former students from the early 80's, and they've said that Kyle Field didn't sell out then...

No. He wasn't. He was on the football team in 97-98 making that pretty much impossible.

[This message has been edited by Josh (edited 11/27/2005 1:15p).]
mts6175
AG
Nope. But I've been going to A&M games for 22 years since I was 8 years old. And those same students you talk to that were there in the '80s will tell you the same thing I am that a block of the visiting team's fans have never sat in the student section of Kyle Field.

Stop making excuses people. There is no reason for it.
1876er
AG
quote:
Someone posted way back up there blaming the "10%" "smart" kids for "taking up space

They probably know they couldn't get in today with our current admission standards...
Quincey P. Morris
AG
A block of people have not sat in those seats because the AD has never opened them up to the general public.
mts6175
AG
quote:
Don't sit here and try to act like you waited around to get your tickets in the early 80s and soldiered through the hard times.
I never said I did. My parents went to school at A&M in the 80's, and I sat many a times with my mom on the student and alumni side.
mts6175
AG
quote:
A block of people have not sat in those seats because the AD has never opened them up to the general public.
Because there has never been 4000 empty ones.
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
I didn't bother reading all of the posts on this thread, but I wanted to point some things out...
-First, the students did fill their section for each of the other games. (except okie state, or whatever game it was)
-Second, the game is at an odd time that makes it dificult to fit in with Thanksgiving plans.
-That said, all my family are Aggies, so we spend Thanksgiving every other year here in Aggieland.
-I was there yelling my lungs out. I came in believing we would pull out a win, despite what logic says.
-I agree that it is embarrasing how much orange was in Kyle Field on Friday and the 12th Man is definately NOT what it used to be, which makes me sad, but I do know quite a few people who just couldn't go to the game. They are good Ags, but just couldn't make it.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
'We' implies that and you know it.
txdawg80
first of all quit with the I MADE IT TO ALL THE GAMES, LIKE IT IS A MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT, AND MAKING IT SOUND AS IF YOU SURVIVED COMBAT. i swear the way some of you talk you sound like you are comparing attending these games with storming the beaches of normandy. it is a game, keep that in mind.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
quote:
Because there has never been 4000 empty ones.

The hell there haven't. Take a look at Kansas in 2003. I'm sure it has happened before, even in the early 80s. However, just because there weren't dorks taking pictures of the student side so they could go on the internet and berate the students and lament what great fans they were doesn't mean that it never happened.
mts6175
AG
quote:
'We' implies that and you know it.
You are correct Josh, that was worded bad. I meant we as in Former Students and as Texas A&M in general in another post, not as in I was part of that class. Good point.

quote:
No. He wasn't. He was on the football team in 97-98 making that pretty much impossible.
And to defend my passion about this, do you know how dissapointing it is as a former player to see the sea of Orange in the student section, let alone in general? Really shows the players that are their now the lack of support they have from their fan base. I can tell you it's very dissapointing, considering how much the student body means to the football team.

[This message has been edited by mts6175 (edited 11/27/2005 1:31p).]
fixer
i was in section 337 which is the one with the most sips in it. you can even pick me out in some pictures i've seen from the opposite side of the field.

it was embarrassing having to listen to the sips tell me how it was lame that so much of the 12th man gave up on their team.

i took it with a grain of salt because its easy to be a tu fan these last 5 or so years.
Lance Uppercut
AG
The fans there were just as loud without the quitters.

Also, it's still FACTUAL that Old Army could have been waiting in the wings to buy those tickets because they're so much better than the current student body. They didn't so they suck too.

I'm all for forming a commitee to go around administering punches to the gut of everyone, old or current student, who didn't go to this game if they had a chance to.
1876er
AG
quote:
The fans there were just as loud without the quitters.

Also, it's still FACTUAL that Old Army could have been waiting in the wings to buy those tickets because they're so much better than the current student body. They didn't so they suck too.

I'm all for forming a commitee to go around administering punches to the gut of everyone, old or current student, who didn't go to this game if they had a chance to.

Agree 100%
Lance Uppercut
AG
I forgot to put my winking face on that last post to show my sarcasm about punching people. I know someone is waiting with a "so now you want to punch people" post.
AggieBaseball06
AG
quote:
And those same students you talk to that were there in the '80s will tell you the same thing I am that a block of the visiting team's fans have never sat in the student section of Kyle Field.

Wait wait... What's a big difference between Kyle in the 80s and Kyle now... OH YEAH! EXPANSION... I am pretty sure Kyle Field had a lot less seats (ie lack of the Zone) in the 80s. So all the Aggies who sat there for our game would have had to buy tickets in your student section back in the 80s. So it's no suprise that you were never forced to sell to the visiting section.
LilGiant
Well, your name is "Uppercut".
AgMarauder04
AG
Wait, you mean back in 1876, Kyle couldn't seat 88000 people?! NO WAY!
The Collective
AG

musicalaggie
It's been easy for people to be horns fans these last few years. They bought tickets to a game that logic said they would win.

It hasn't been easy to be an Aggie fan the last few years. But those at the game are still holding faith in their team. That means alot.

Attendance isn't the Aggie Spirit, but the Spirit shows through attendance-through students lining up to pull tickets even though the Ags are the underdogs and then going to the game and yelling as the 12th Man should.

I don't know how people can come to A&M and not take part in the spirit. I'd feel awfully guilty, as a student, for letting down the former students by not keeping up the example of pride they have set. I'll be at TAMU as a fish in the fall. I'll be going to every game. I'm not letting you old ags down; there's still students who learned from your example. Thanks.
mts6175
AG
quote:
Wait wait... What's a big difference between Kyle in the 80s and Kyle now... OH YEAH! EXPANSION... I am pretty sure Kyle Field had a lot less seats (ie lack of the Zone) in the 80s. So all the Aggies who sat there for our game would have had to buy tickets in your student section back in the 80s. So it's no suprise that you were never forced to sell to the visiting section.
Ahh, a new excuse. Expansion. Ever think the student body was smaller then too?
AgMarauder04
AG
Go away mts, your manhood is officially bigger for berating all of students and showing us once again why you are more of an Aggie than we'll ever be, congratulations. I'm going to go buy a burnt orange t-shirt so I can be a sip.
mts6175
AG
Not all students. Just those that don't show up.
AgMarauder04
AG
Then again, why don't you write in to the Batt or something. As we've pretty much established, everyone here GOES to the games.
AggieBaseball06
AG
quote:
Ever think the student body was smaller then too?

Ever think that the difference in the size of the student body then and now and the increase in the stadium size isn't proportional?

h1frogman
Wow! Everyone needs to calm down. I wish I did not contribute to this thread. Maybe this made up word used earlier will lighten the room up a bit. Enjoy
quote:
As we are in agreeance

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.