Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The "Sea" of orange in the student section

16,435 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by TheAggieMissingLink
commando2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In Fall 2005
Texas A&M's enrollement: 44,647
Kyle Field's capacity: 82,600
Capacity relative to enrollment: 185%

In Fall 1983
Texas A&M's enrollment: 36,846
Kyle Field's capacity: 70,000
Capacity relative to enrollment: 190%

Therefore, stadium expansion has been proportional to enrollment.

(Of course, that's only true when compared to the '80s, not the '90s.)
LonestarRunner
Someone earlier said...

###
all these 10% kids coming in who could care less about football would rather stay at home with the family. its what happens when you stop admitting kids who really want to be here, for a couple of smart kids who wont ever give back to the school.
###

Talk about a warped perspective. Why not just make football attendence part of the GPA. That thinking should be rejected by any Aggie who values his degree. Remember: Football belongs to the University, not the other way around. Likewise, football was made for man, not man for football.

One last thing. There's more to giving back to your university than attending football games.

I mean, A&M would be a top-notch university even if it didn't have a football team. Stop trying to define the worth of the entire school or the student body by football performance on or off the field.
dodgeman
There were scattered sips everywhere. The two sitting behind me were 2 to many. I hope that never happens again.
StorminAg
AG
quote:
This would infuriate me if it happened in Austin.

Then you would have been infuriated for about a decade during the 80's and 90's.
dodgeman
Couldn't the students have pulled their tickets but just not gone. Would that have been better?
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Did not seem at all to be the orange sea predicted. Almost everytime I saw the crowd, sip fans were crossing their hands. Never saw sips so quiet. I'd say the hands-in-their pocket horn fans were a negative and I saw a frenzied Aggie faithful producing ear-bleeding sound levels.
NEVER seen a team "win" and look so defeated! Was it because VY "lost" his trophy chance to be handed to McGee instead?
Hey, lighten up. tu got a "W" over A&M's second string O. Take your hands out of your pockets. Smile. Forget about the stats. Good luck in Houston!
Buglerank62
AG
A more competitive team next year will solve this problem. Let's quit eating our young. Enough of this *****ing. The season is over with, let's all support the BB team now. Now THEY are competitive.
bgrimm05
AG
i think a lot of people are forgetting this fact:

the former students merely failed to BUY these extra tickets.

many current students had already bought tickets by way of a sports pass, but then failed to go to the game. i mean, how stupid can some people really be? you pay for something, and then don't use it?

i do think it's funny that it turned out to be a great game. sucks for the students that were suckling their momma's tit. i went home and visited the family for thanksgiving, but my god, of course i came back for the game. the thanksgiving excuse has no credibility considering the game is no longer actually played ON thanksgiving.
Aston04
AG
^Agree. I really can't figure out why people wouldn't at least pull their ticket and pawn it off for a few bucks... Strange.
Junction Boy
AG
Today's students stink when it comes to support.
PJB C-1NRB
AG
I'm afraid Junction right about the current students so in light of this, here is how you get rid of the orange in Kyle:

Lots of W's, beating your rivals, winning your bowl games (BCS, Cotton, Holiday, Alamo).

Of course it will not hurt to win the Big XII every once in a while.
BigAG98
AG
Does anyone have a picture of the stadium so I can make my own judgements about this sea of orange. Watching the game on TV I couldn't really tell.
Yao
It's really quite simple. Put a quality product on the field, and you'll get the proper respect (i.e. students and former students show up).

It's not that hard to figure out.
creature
Well, not sure about these days, but when I was a student, we would go home for Turkey before or after the game - and this was just a mere 10 years ago. T+1 weekend was centered around the game. However, back then us Ags were a different team than now, and possibly a different school from what I've heard. I'm not sure what's going on these days, but it sounds all f&^%ed up from "the outside looking in".
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
tu fans were quieter than a church mouse. Quit **tching about this. Be glad we have the Intelligence, Spirit, Pride, Tradition, and Loyalty of Aggies. We have been spoiled by 129 years of being #1 where it matters most. Look at your ring finger and glow.
I only wish Fran had given the team jerseys with their last names on it during halftime because baby they earned it on T+1.
Now focus on 2006 (final exams for current students).
ord04
I'm a student and I have no sympathy for the ones that didn't pull their tickets.

I wish there was a way to prevent these students from getting student tickets again at the discounted rates we enjoy.
1876er
AG
if they didn't buy sports passes those seats would still be burnt orange...
Oh Four Five
AG
The ones that didn't show are mostly the ones that stand with their arms crossed, don't yell, and b**** all game long. I didn't want them there anyway.
Comeby!
AG
1876er
AG
yeah what we need is more people with buzzcuts that wear overalls to class and dip copenhagen...
Comeby!
AG
1876er
AG
so we need more pretty boys?
Comeby!
AG
MikeUT8750

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 11/28/2005 11:35a).]
Kentatm
sorry to you old ags but you are all flat wrong. I was in a box on the 50 and let me tell you i had a great view of you wonderful alumni. it was about 1/3 orange. you and yours are just as bad IF NOT WORSE. your seats are NEVER available to the genreal public but you had JUST AS MANY sips in your seats. sure they werent in a block but like I said the block was open to the public and your seats were not. you had to find people to sell those tickets too.

dont give me any kinda crap about how the students have otherwise always shown and the alumni always show either. the only game that has consistantly sold out is the sip game. EVERY OTHER GAME there are tons of people who dont show. MAny of them in your holier than though new old army (kinda like new money) zone seats. I have ALWAYS seen sips on the alumni side. EVERY tu game we have there are sips there. EVERY ONE. so dont go casting stones when you'll eventually have to hit yourselves w/them once you run out of the easy targets.

I seriously doubt ANY OTHER AD would have ever considered opening those seats to the public. dont lie and say those seats were always full for sip games either. MY father, grandmother and everyone else old enough to have been around back in the dark days all say otherwise.

if you want to me mad, be mad at the alumni who sold their seats and the AD who gave up the student section in the name of money. (this they could pulled and then sold them is crazy too b/c SIPS STILL WOULDA BOUGHT EM) id rather see that section empty than full of orange but it look slike the AD thinks otherwise.

[This message has been edited by Kentatm (edited 11/28/2005 2:17a).]
whiskey02
AG
I am always dissapointed when I see sips that paint each others chests in the stands. Seeing them in the student section was a severe dissapointment.

It takes a certain breed for one man to paint another man's chest.
Kentatm
its called being a big fan who is not insecure about himself.
squirrelhunter
Instead of complaining about new vs. old army, why don't we complain about the fact that the number of sips at Kyle on T+1 is directly related to the lack of confidence that a lot of Ags have in Fran keeping us from being killed by 20+ pts by ANY team.

And yeah, Bynre will cut the student allocation so amnesiac former students can buy the tickets because they think the team will be good next year after 7 average quarters of football despite a whole season that for the most part could be called abjectly horrible.

I will still go to the games, because the players actaully kept their heads up Friday, and proved me wrong. They deserve my support, and that of every ag.

But I will have no confidence in this coaching staff till we can make it through a season without getting blown up by 20 or more points AT ALL for a season.
TAMU98AG
Just as many orange shirts in the alum side as there were in the student side, I saw them with my own eyes.

STFU on ragging the students, when big-buck Ags sell their tickets too....

I work with two people who sold their tickets on ebay as soon as the OU game ended, its just as bad for old as new Army when team is losing.

Get off your high horse and go look in the mirror.
GI
quote:
corp block should be done away with altogether

First of all, it's CORPS block.

Secondly, the cadets never wanted Corps Block. Prior to the 1997 season, the cadets would pull tickets just like everyone else and interact with the rest of the student body. The reason that Corps Block was instituted is that MG Hopgood caught wind of cadets not going to the game in uniform. Since "Mass Punishment" is the way to go when Generals are involved, Corps Block was instituted to force cadets to show up in uniform.
GI
quote:
But I will have no confidence in this coaching staff till we can make it through a season without getting blown up by 20 or more points AT ALL for a season.

That hasn't happened since 1998.

1999 - Oklahoma, Nebraska, Penn State
2000 - Texas
2001 - Oklahoma
2002 - Texas
2003 - Tech, Nebraska, OSU, OU, Missouri, Texas
2004 - Utah, Tennessee
2005 - Colorado, ISU, Tech
Icecream_Ag
S
One small bit of ammo for either side to use. Students are alloted 25K tickets right, well last number I heard was 26K had been pulled. That means the AD made those premium first deck seats available for STUDENTS. That could be some of the cause of the tu section on third deck.
HHH91
I will tell you what is more embarassing than the student section being full of orange is all of the orange that was in the Regents Box & Section 103 - 109. I couldn't see the west side second deck but those sections was full of orange. I would be curious to know if this would have happened in the "old army" days. These are predominately "old army" seats.
J. Walter Weatherman
quote:
Today's students stink when it comes to support

yea that's why we still sell more student tickets than any school in the country, set numerous basketball attendance records last year, are in the top5 in baseball attendance every year, lead the country in soccer attendance, etc...

we really suck at support[/sarcasm]. for all of you calling us bandwagon fans, how many of you went to basketball games when you were in school and the team sucked? theyre still aggies right?
75AG
AG
And don't let the corps off the hook... the "keepers of the flame"... during every game there are hundreds of CTs walking around OUTSIDE Kyle. Unbelievable....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.