Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How we got here (lengthy)

6,094 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by blackgloves
4stringAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Neither do these facts and numbers:

Overall Record: 24-22
Div 1 Opponents: 21-22
Home Record: 17-9 (3 victories vs. Div.1AA Opponents, 5 victories vs. unranked non-conference opponents)
Vs. Ranked Opponents: 4-14 (8 of those losses at Kyle Field)
Big 12 Record: 14-17 (Only 12 games vs. Top 25 Opponents)
November Record: 2-11…and counting
Avg. Score in November: A&M 21.6 – Opp 36.2 Point Differential of 14.6 7 games at home
Record vs. Texas Tech: 1-3 Avg. Score: A&M 26 – TT 42.8
Record vs. OU: 0-4 Avg. Score: A&M 20.3 – OU 43
Record vs. Texas 0-3 Avg. Score: A&M 19 – TU 37.3
Bowl Record: 0-1 Lost 38-7 to Tennessee …worst bowl loss in A&M H
PMCGUN04
memag92:

You would be a horrible lawyer, unlike the oroginal poster.
joerobert_pete06
AG
Thank you for submitting your vote to TexAgs.com

Currently, your vote is the 1 vote in support of this message.

MaroonStain
AG
We started this crap in '94 when we got served by the NCAA. Thanks, Gilbert, you as shole.
gzac83
AG
Next year is the year, but lets beat tu this year.
4stringAg
AG
pmc, what about my post isn't true? They are facts and numbers that tell a pretty sad tale of Fran's career here.

Let me guess, you are one of those people who believes the first 3 years of Fran's career here shouldn't count and this year should be looked at as his real first year?

[This message has been edited by MemAg92 (edited 11/15/2006 1:27p).]
TurboVelo
AG
Your numbers don't tell the whole story, and we all know it.
PMCGUN04
Memag92:

lol, actually I kinda started a thread arguing that you could look at this year as fran's SECOND year. I know you hate Fran, but it's ok, everything will be better soon. And nothing about what you said is wrong, its just a product of what Fran had to work with his Firat 2-3 years. So this is Fran's second year with no Slocum baggage.
NEBornNYBred
A&M has gotten better this year. They are playing with heart and that has remained for all games. I'm not a fan of Darnell but he has improved your defense. You are welcome to get a new coach but I think you will be wasting your time again. The team has improved and believes in Fran/Darnell. It's when they no longer believe in Fran that you should get rid of him.
Attrition at A&M has been bad but OU and Texas have had attrition too. Texas 2000 class lost a ton of talent but still had a lot of talent left. I think the depth of you classes made the attrition hurt that much more. Look at the OL attrition at OU. That they have an OL is amazing with the attrition.
Maroonaide
quote:
And thanks for pointing out yet another reason why that 6-51 loss to OU was much more embarrassing than 0-77. We lost the first one to a rookie coach.

Well we can obviously see where your bias is now. At least that much is clear. Why the disdain for rc but so much love for fran? You must not have watched the 0-77 oklahoma game because it was the most embarassing. Our players had totally given up. Our coach could not instill any form of competitiveness in them during rough times.

Oh, and get your facts sraight about who we played the week before before you start with your excuse making.

quote:
Facts and numbers dont lie.

Correct. The problem is the fran apologists refuse to objectively look at fran's numbers in line with the competition he has played. You can throw out all the anti RC and Wally crap you want. It does not excuse what has been happening under fran the last couple years. Why do you ignore that we not only lose to the big 4 in the big xii but we also have been losing or playing down to the level of the crap teams as well. Not only that but we struggle against teams like army. But you guys always have an excuse, like how great army really is and how they will turn heads this year. Yeah, you were right. They turned heads about how bad they really are.

You guys said this was fran's year and there would be no more excuses. So why do you continue to dig up more excuses blaming RC when, even most of the apologists, said this was the year to make or break fran? Could it be because once again fran has failed where it counted most and you have only two options, admit you were wrong or backpedel and come up with some more excuses. It appears you guys have chosen to backpedal because you do not have the character to admit you were wrong.

quote:
lol, actually I kinda started a thread arguing that you could look at this year as fran's SECOND year. I know you hate Fran, but it's ok, everything will be better soon. And nothing about what you said is wrong, its just a product of what Fran had to work with his Firat 2-3 years. So this is Fran's second year with no Slocum baggage.

What a hypocrite. You have no problem blaming fran's obvious failure on a coach 4 years removed yet have the gall to say others hate fran. Take a look in the mirror and you will see what is wrong. You rc haters/fran lovers are pathetic. You are worse than the washington spin you see everyday coming out of the political arena.

footballfan
quote:
But would they lose to Baylor?

Off the top of my head, I know Cal lost to Tech when they were a huge favored. Cal also lost at home last year to a mediocre Oregon St team. Louisville got clobbered last year by mighty S. Florida, which I think is in its 2nd or 3rd year of 1-A football - and by clobbered it was like 40-10 or something.

hth
Syd_X_Barrett
South Florida has been D1 for awhile, and their coach, while it has cooled, has been a name mentioned for many high profile positions

But, yeah, I see where you are getting at, those teams/coaches have lost a couple of games they shouldn't have. We've lost & been blown out of many games we shouldn't have. They've defeated highly ranked teams & beaten their rivals. We haven't.

But, other than that, yeah, good point
Syd_X_Barrett
It's their 6th year, so not awhile, but not in their 2nd or 3rd either
TurboVelo
AG
quote:
Well we can obviously see where your bias is now. At least that much is clear. Why the disdain for rc but so much love for fran? You must not have watched the 0-77 oklahoma game because it was the most embarassing. Our players had totally given up. Our coach could not instill any form of competitiveness in them during rough times.

No. I didn't like RC, but that was for personal reasons that had nothing to do with his record.

Are you really going to tell me that in the course of our 6-51 loss, that we, the #10 team in the country showed heart and tried the entire game? Heck no.

If #10 Louisville loses 6-51 at Pitt, they are going to be very embarrassed. If W. Carolina losses at Florida 0-77, they will be embarrassed, but not as much as Louisville.

It's not that I have so much love for Fran. It's that I believe in setting somebody up for the opportunity to succeed, and then seeing if they actually do. So many, like you, want to see Fran fail, and want to call him a failure before his opportunity is complete.
NumberEinAg
AG
H6RBW, does all this make Fran's gameday decisions better? Is he a "good Coach" now? Are the dumb calls and decisions OK now? I'd say the recruiting drop off had a lot to do with us investing in the program (previous Administartion). Save this post to look at when Fran is fired. He will never get it done here and the sooner we realize that stop making excuses for him the better.
Syd_X_Barrett
So, now we were on level with Western Carolina? Damn, how the **** did we beat Baylor by 63? Whip Kansas? Play pretty well against top 15-20 Pitt & Va Tech? Beat top 25 Utah?

Hmm, maybe because we did have some talent, and before they quit on Fran, they played like it.

Man, you get worse and worse with your justifications
WestAustinAg
AG
Lots of rathole conversations. To summarize:

Fran was dealt a worse hand than he or any Aggie fan realized. The team was very thinly experienced and had even less talent in the pipeline.

Fran has had trouble handling the pressure of this job and has had trouble coaching well enough to handle very adverse situations (talent and attitudes). Early on he didn't figure out how to win more games with another coaches' talent.

2nd half of last year and this year - Fran has finally established a decent team by stockpiling much improved talent over 4 seasons. He has also reconfigured both the offense (around the run) and the defense (around the pass)over the past 2 seasons. Both were excellent, if not belated, moves.

A&M is again competetive in all of its games (even against OU, Neb, Ttech and missouri) and we will see if we are competitive against Texas (even though Fran's teams have traditionally played this was close). Maybe we win it and maybe we win a bowl game. That will pay dividends in recruiting but our recruiting this year is very strong already.

Conclusion -- probably deserves one more year in my opinion. He has earned it (barely).

Conclusion # 2 -- Aggies who are bitter and angry with Fran will need to be patient for 1 more year.
4stringAg
AG
TxAggieFan, Western Carolina is not Texas A&M in terms of football stature, that analogy doesn't fit.

And I also believe in giving a coach a fair shot to field a championship team. I didn't expect Fran to win the MNC or even the B12 in 3 or 4 years but I certainly felt like we'd be in the chase by Year 4 and not dropping 3 games at Kyle Field.

I also feel like I have enough information to form an opinion by Year 4 if that coach is or is not going to do what he was hired to do. Fran has shown me, and apparently a lot of others, very little to date. Very little and certainly nothing in line with what I would have expected when we hired him. In fact, he has shown me LESS than what RC was delivering.

If we take into account the original poster's analysis that our talent and depth was lacking in RCs latter years, well he still managed to finish up those seasons on the winning end for the most part, mediocre as they were.

Poor gameday decisions, clock management issues, questionable player development, etc are all things that I have seen from this coach that lead me to the conclusion that he won't get us there. I hope I'm wrong and Fran turns it all around starting next week. And I was as ready as anyone to see RC move on as well but Fran so far isn't delivering the goods.

[This message has been edited by MemAg92 (edited 11/15/2006 5:14p).]
Syd_X_Barrett
I don't think our recruiting is that strong this year, sorry.

We have whiffed on every top OL in a deep year. We have one of the most talented WR's in the country in our backyard that will end up at LSU. We have gotten committments from many guys that weren't on the radar.

Sounds an awful lot like our recruiting classes the last few years of RC's term. 3-4 highly rated players, while Mack cleans house in the talent deep and strongest areas, and then alot of sleepers.
Maroonaide
quote:
I hope I'm wrong and Fran turns it all around starting next week.

I do not like this statement. Here is why. We played ou and tu close last year and everybody was saying we had turned the corner. Remember all he jackie comparisons? So just like last year we are saying all is well as long as we play these teams close. Just exactly when will beating these teams be something people expect from fran? Up until we lost to them even most of the fran apologists said we should expect to beat them. Now that it has not happened they are find just to play them close. They throw out the fact that not only are those teams having a down year, but we had all but tu at home.
blackgloves
ttt

due to its greatness

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.