Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

My Emails with McKenzie Regarding the VIP Connection

27,761 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by spadilly
falconace
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I never thought I would say this, but

quote:

Here is a link to the thread I found (posted by “97”):
http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?forum_id=5&topic_id=930399

Brandon,

Your forum code in that URL is messed up. It throws another http on the front of the URL.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
quote:
"Next up, the owner and 'staff' (board moderators) of TexAgs.com, Brandon Jones and a dozen or so volunteers who work hard at keeping rumors, namecalling and cries to fire coaches or ADs off the Internet."

I'm not sure where this quote came from, but I'll address it.

Mike is referring to a series of lunches that Fran hosted over the summer with different A&M interest groups. TexAgs.com was one of those groups. The group was composed of administrators, moderators, and content folks from TexAgs and we had lunch with Coach Fran and toured the football facilities. We used this time to communicate different aspects of TexAgs as well ask Fran direct questions about the state of the football program.

Now, when Mike says, “Brandon Jones and a dozen or so volunteers who work hard at keeping rumors, namecalling and cries to fire coaches or ADs off the Internet” this is true. But that has ALWAYS been true – at least since I took over the moderation policies in 2000. We DO remove posts that are simply rumor and we DO remove posts that boil down to name calling – but again, this has always been the case.

With regards to cries to fire coaches or ADs, this policy was in place and upheld for RC, Mark Johnson, Melvin Watkins, and others. It’s just what we do. We’re not trying to hedge for any particular coach or for a particular regime; we just don’t think that this is the place for storming the castle with torches and pitchforks.
DrAcula
Nicely handled Brandon. Are you the only that has access to this information or do other staff members have access as well?

Edit: by information I mean user information

[This message has been edited by DrAcula (edited 10/12/2007 1:20p).]
trey02
AG
Brandon,

If you click on 97's public profile you can see he is from houston. The information is public and you shouldn't feel too bad in forking it over if you said it was in his public profile.. However, the fact that you divulged the information without knowing it was public disappoints me. Please answer one question...

Why do you keep an archive of Ag Tag request information?

[This message has been edited by trey02 (edited 10/12/2007 1:26p).]
Wr3ckin_Cr3w
I think you handled it nicely!
AgKJ
AG
Brandon - I printed out your emails and when I hold them up to the light I can see what is typed behind the black mark-outs.

Verrrrrrry interesting.....
Redassag94
AG
Good to be in the know!
WatchOle
Staff
AG
quote:
However, the fact that you divulged the information without knowing it was public disappoints me.

Trey - I wasn't divulging any information. I was simply guessing based on with "97" had publicly posted in the thread in question.

We keep an Ag Tag archive for several reasons:

1. We don't give out Ag Tags to a single individual for multiple user accounts. We want a persons Ag Tag account to be their official username. We obviously need to retain past requests in order to perform such a check.

2. We want a history of who the poster said they were at the time of the Ag Tag request. We've had people attempt subvert the verification process and we want to be able to double check users after a verification is performed in case the need arises.

3. The whole concept behind the Ag Tag system is to raise the level of accountability here. We (TexAgs.com) might want to contact someone about the contents of a post in certain situations and the Ag Tag info allows us to make such contact if the registration email is not sufficient. I can count on a couple of fingers how many times this has happened.

[This message has been edited by WatchOle (edited 10/12/2007 1:41p).]
WatchOle
Staff
AG
DrAcula - 3 staff members (including myself)have access to the personal Ag Tag information. 2 staff members (including myself) have access to billing information. All staff members understand the importance of keeping all such information confidential.
DrAcula
Thanks Brandon, keep up the good work.
WBC1994
AG
Brandon,
Thanks for the post. It clears the air, but it not need to be done. I enjoy TexAgs as many Aggies do, it has been a little High School lately. But so is the behavior that started the issues. VIP Newsletters really...
BTHO ttu!

[This message has been edited by WBC1994 (edited 10/12/2007 1:54p).]
BigAG98
AG
Good job Brandon.

You defended yourself well.
Custer
This is spin. Too many nits and nats here and there that dont match your after-i-got-caught explanation.

This confirms what was only previously speculation about the independence and credibility of this board that once was only supported by unreasonable censorship of critics of the program. We now have confirmation that this place was a mere puppet for the athletic program.
theNetSmith
AG
Well done, B.

Custer, you couldn't be further from the truth.

-T
kelleragMS04
McKenzie is a snake...in those emails he seems like he's trying to manipulate you to get an answer to his question. Good riddance.
Reloadags1998
AG
quote:
We now have confirmation that this place was a mere puppet for the athletic program.

We have? Really? May I ask what specifically we are referencing that made us come to this conclusion?
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Custer,

quote:
Too many nits and nats here and there

Care to point one of these out?

quote:
after-i-got-caught explanation.

After I got caught doing what? Please reread my post. I didn't apologize for anything. I was carrying out standard proceed on injury reports and leaks, nothing more and nothing less.

[This message has been edited by WatchOle (edited 10/12/2007 2:39p).]
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
custer =

watchole =

Good job, Brandon!

WatchOle
Staff
AG
quote:
This confirms what was only previously speculation about the independence and credibility of this board that once was only supported by unreasonable censorship of critics of the program.

And one more thing: This board and the way it is run has not changed one bit since MM came in to town. We run it exactly the same today (maybe even looser) as we did when RC roamed the sidelines. At that point in time we had absolutely ZERO contact with the Athletic Department.
heddy Lamarr
AG
I think maybe Brandon was involved more than Fran
TXAGEE
AG
As Brandon's website, he can operate it any which way he likes, by censoring or allowing anything he wants to! It is the free market environment that allows us as viewers to either participate or go elsewhere.
Reloadags1998
AG
No, this is a democracy. I vote that I be allowed free ad space. Do I get a second?
phillyag92
AG
Brandon - nice job. I have to agree with a previous poster that this is way too much drama for a .500 coach.
GiveUsRoom
So no regrets?
ag9496

Gig'em!

Brandon....can you now change the website to allow the following term: "m i c m a c"?

http://www.aggies9496.com
CavAg93
compartecipe
back, and to the left
WatchOle
Staff
AG
GiveUsRoom,

My only "regret" was looking like a naïve little girl with regard to what the VIP Connection newsletter actually was. I definitely would have handled the interaction differently had I known any of the troublesome details of the newsletter. In all honesty I just didn’t see the importance of it at the time. I’d like to point out as well that apparently other folks in the media around town knew of the newsletter too and didn’t realize the significance either – so I don’t necessarily feel like I’m completely alone in that.

I will say that if I got an email today from someone "in the know" claiming that a post on this site contained some injury information that shouldn't be released, I'd find it and remove it.

[This message has been edited by WatchOle (edited 10/12/2007 3:01p).]
ag9496
quote:
compartecipe
posted 2:53p, 10/12/07

back, and to the left

Custer
A number of responsive points:

Fightin Tx Aggie - good point. stay a myopian.

nits and nats - your first reaction was "no problem." Your explanation based on semantics did not persuade me. Why is ****** so confident that you and texags will capitulate? Why is m i c m a c a censured word and fran is not, they are principally the same thing.

After-i-got-caught explanation - it is indisputable that you did more than just protect injury information.

I am a skeptic and think the emails speak for themselves. You must take the positions that you have and offer the explanations that you have for the sake of this site. I understand that.

Have we seen all of your email communication with ****** or just the ones that have been made public?

We are treated to your explanations because you did act complicitly with ****** in this instance and whos to say this is the first time or only time?

I agree that you have offered explanations but proven little. Proof comes with evidence or statements that make your point without me having to accept your credibility. In your eyes you may have proven something because you are the only one who knows if your explanations are truthful and complete.

I realize that the other side of the coin suffers from the same proof problems but when I consider all that has been made public (free of explanation and spin), I think the most plausible story is one other than that in your explanations.

And I understand completely that many of you think that I am not entitled to maintain this position. And to you...flame away.
Husker
I am an "outsider" here (non-Aggie, obviously), but I will say that I believe TexAgs to be the finest school-specific website around, and I make sure to check in here almost daily to find out the latest Aggie news. Brandon appears to have managed this affair as well as could be expected.

EDIT: IMHO, of course. :-)

[This message has been edited by Husker (edited 10/12/2007 3:18p).]
Joe Bfstplk
I really don't care about this stupid mess, but Custer you have pretty poor reasoning.

You suggest that the "emails speak for themselves" and are "free of explanation and spin." Well, which one of those emails has Brandon providing the name of the poster, which he obviously has access to? And why didn't Brandon remove that post?

Maybe your problem is that you believe Bill Byrne is in on the conspiracy and holding back that email.

You've asked your questions. Surely you'll respond to mine.

[This message has been edited by Joe Bfstplk (edited 10/12/2007 3:21p).]
GiveUsRoom
quote:
I definitely would have handled the interaction differently had I known any of the troublesome details of the newsletter.
The fact that it was McKenzie should have been tip off enough. Personally, if someone as slimy as McKenzie had made information public and then approached me to help find someone else who made it more public then he wanted (funny how people are surprised when the info was as safe with the next person as it was with them), I would have just sent him a link to the search engine.

But judging by the thread I guess I'm in the minority on that, let the back slapping continue.
NoACDamnit
quote:
it is indisputable that you did more than just protect injury information.

You're right. He *shock* provided a LINK to the thread that MM was looking for on a very public board.

Other than that, what the hell are you talking about?
p_bubel
Good Lord. Brandon you have the patience of a Saint. You manage to keep this crazy site running fairly smoothly on a daily basis, and for that, thanks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.