***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

164,183 Views | 2981 Replies | Last: 47 min ago by Sher Thing
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Race for Seis begins again!

Summer league starts on 7/3 in Sacretomato and Wemby should debut in Vegas on 7/7. Getcha popcorn ready.
PLUM LOCO
AG
Wemby signed with Spurs, today!

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023/07/01/spurs-announce-signing-of-no-1-overall-draft-pick-victor-wembanyama/
West Texan
AG
First summer league game In Sacramento tomorrow against the hornets. Here's the roster:

-Wemby won't play in California, but will join the team in Vegas. He'll probably only play a game or two.
-Sochan won't play at all in any summer league action.
-can Blake Wesley take a step forward with his finishing? Last year he looked like a steal during summer league action, then an injury slowed him and by the time he got action in San Antonio, he really struggled. He has an elite first step, but really struggled to finish and often looked out of control. His jumper was also very streaky, and I'm hoping to see more that cleaned that up. I expect him to get plenty of reps on the ball running point.
-Branham did the opposite of Wesley. He looked not so bueno during the summer league, but adjusted throughout the season and looked very promising at the NBA level by the end of the season. I know he can play off the ball, I want to see him with the ball in his hands. He does a pretty good job creating his own shot, so let's see if his play making has developed over the off season. More than anything, he needs to be better defensively. He was one of the worst in the league last year, and he needs to be above average against summer league competition.
-Julian Champgnie looked solid to end last season and turned it into a 4 year deal. Like Branham, I'm mostly wanting to see him on the defensive end.
-Barlow showed some flashes last season and will be on another two way deal. Needs improvement with his defensive instincts and hopefully some added range to his jumper.
-I'm excited to watch Sidy Cissoko. He should be used to the level of competition after playing in the G league last season. I like his defensive potential and hopefully he can get his shot figured out.
Guitarsoup
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG

No thanks
Guitarsoup
AG

The Rockets traded Garuba, TyTy Washington, and two future second round picks to make room for Brook Lopez. Garuba and TyTy were both 1st round picks the last two years and the Rockets received nothing in return.
AG
Totally random question and not to dredge up the past, but I can't get the TA search to work, but can someone give me the real low down as to what happened with the Kawhi deal/Uncle Dennis, etc? My buddy, a Mavs fan, is basically claiming the Spurs misdiagnosed Kawhis injury, didn't listen to him and rushed him back, caused further injury, cost him money , etc. And that Kawhi forcing his way out of SA was a culmination of Spurs **** ups and lack of trust and not a negative reflection of KL.
Mike Elko
AG
Answer: Kawhi's a b*tch.

HTH
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

HTH

That's my usual response, lol
Guitarsoup
AG
Spurs doctors diagnosed it correctly. Kawhi doctor shopped until he got the diagnosis he wanted. He refused to play even when healthy.

Kawhi wanted to move back to California and he wanted his own signature shoe, rather than just getting money and being a Nike player with a random Nike shoe. Uncle Dennis said he could do that in LA, but SA was holding him back from big sponsorship money.

Well, Nike refused to up his money and refused to give him a signature shoe because he has the personality of a clump of trimmed pubic hair. So he took a $5mm/year deal to be the face of New Balance. In the process, he lost his really cool logo, because Nike owned it, because his uncle is a dumbass.

Kawhi's refusal to even be with the team irked his teammates, and Parker and others spoke out, hurting Kawhi's little ***** ass feelings.

Kawhi has Uncle Dennis and agent Mitch Frankel doing all this. Fankel literally has no other clients. It is only Kawhi.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/23/16693304/kawhi-leonard-trade-rumors-history-timeline-spurs-gregg-popovich
Ag Natural
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Totally random question and not to dredge up the past, but I can't get the TA search to work, but can someone give me the real low down as to what happened with the Kawhi deal/Uncle Dennis, etc? My buddy, a Mavs fan, is basically claiming the Spurs misdiagnosed Kawhis injury, didn't listen to him and rushed him back, caused further injury, cost him money , etc. And that Kawhi forcing his way out of SA was a culmination of Spurs **** ups and lack of trust and not a negative reflection of KL.
You're friend is an idiot. Kawhi has shown everybody who he is since he forced his way out of SA. Nobody ever knows what the hell is going on with this guy. The Spurs bent over backward for him and he still made up a reason to be mad.
jteagle
AG
Should be a fun year. These young guys will be fun to watch and even though they probably won't make the playoffs, they should win more than last year. A lot too be excited about.
AG
Ag Natural said:

You're friend is an idiot. Kawhi has shown everybody who he is since he forced his way out of SA. Nobody ever knows what the hell is going on with this guy. The Spurs bent over backward for him and he still made up a reason to be mad.

Thanks GS! And yeah, I agree. I've always wondered if KL is a little ***** when it comes to pain tolerance and that's a big issue with him and all his "nagging injuries". Would help explain his terrible rehab in SA (not pushing things and thus it taking way longer for him to get back and healthy), also why he was never 100% ready to resume play, why he always is out for stretches for seeming innocuous injuries, etc. obviously he's very sensitive emotionally in letting TP and others ruffle his feathers. Probably really sensitive physically too
West Texan
AG
LawHall88
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

HTH
All kidding aside, Kawhi is apparently an odd guy, borderline "on the spectrum."

Great player though, when he plays.
HtownWilly12

No thanks

I mean I wouldn't hate Hero. He seems like a tool off the court but a guy who is willing to pull the trigger (and make) from deep and still young isn't a bad combo
Guitarsoup
AG
If he stays healthy, I like Devin Vassell more. Plus Herro has a 4y120mm contract.

I'm not a big fan of paying 30mm+/year for guys that aren't All-NBA.

Herro is great at corner threes and will knock down wide open shots, but he can't finish at the rim.

His threes anywhere except the corners are pretty mediocre.

His defense is just bad.

Overpay for a guy that isn't that good.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

If he stays healthy, I like Devin Vassell more. Plus Herro has a 4y120mm contract.

The huge extension that Herro signed is definitely the biggest drawback. However, dude can really fill it up. I think you could play them next to each other with Vassell's length. I'm not the biggest fan of using our cap space on Herro, but you could do worse than a 23 year old that is a proven bucket getter on efficient shooting numbers.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

The huge extension that Herro signed is definitely the biggest drawback. However, dude can really fill it up. I think you could play them next to each other with Vassell's length. I'm not the biggest fan of using our cap space on Herro, but you could do worse than a 23 year old that is a proven bucket getter on efficient shooting numbers.

Top of the circle threes, he is basically league average. Each elbow three, he is below league average.

His corner threes are elite. He is awful finishing at the rim, so he is basically just a shooter. On defense, Herro is a big negative and we already have that with Keldon.

I don't think paying 30mm/year for a volume scorer that can't drive is smart money basketball and by this offseason, the Spurs definitely seem to think that we should be smart with our money.
Guitarsoup
AG
The Athletic

Trades of the day
Cleveland Cavaliers acquire Max Strus (four-year, $63 million)
Miami Heat acquire second-round pick
San Antonio Spurs acquire Cedi Osman, Lamar Stevens, second-round pick

Strus is a much better version of what the Cavs were hoping Osman could be, but there's still room for Osman to be a nice contributor. He could get that chance in San Antonio or find a new home somewhere else. Maybe the Heat have opened up enough flexibility to make a bigger splash in a trade.
Grade: B+ for Cavs, C for Heat, B+ for Spurs
Guitarsoup
AG
CoJo to Warriors.

Chris Paul in shambles.
AggieOO
Guitarsoup said:

Tried to add ginobli on Facebook...blocked.
AG
I know it's not going to happen, but I'm coming around to the possibility of Dame provided the deal isn't completely awful. Obviously Wemby, Sochan, Vassell are untouchable. Might put Branham there. But Keldon, McBuckets some filler and a boatload of picks I'd be ok with. Just think we need a PG, he provides that, pairs well with Wemby on paper, he provides some much needed veteran leadership and think he would be great for the young guys. I dunno. I don't hate the idea like I did initially

But again, it's not going to happen
Guitarsoup
AG

I know it's not going to happen, but I'm coming around to the possibility of Dame provided the deal isn't completely awful. Obviously Wemby, Sochan, Vassell are untouchable. Might put Branham there. But Keldon, McBuckets some filler and a boatload of picks I'd be ok with. Just think we need a PG, he provides that, pairs well with Wemby on paper, he provides some much needed veteran leadership and think he would be great for the young guys. I dunno. I don't hate the idea like I did initially

But again, it's not going to happen
Dame's future salaries
  • 23-24: 45.6mm - age 33
  • 24-25: 48.8mm - age 34
  • 25-26: 58.5mm - age 35
  • 26-27: 63.2mm - age 36
Portland could ask for Doug, Graham, and Birch and I still say no.

He combines outrageous salary with atrocious defense.
Guitarsoup
AG
Boston is trying to get in on Dame with an offer of 2-3 first round picks, Payton Prichard, Rob Williams, Luke Kornet, and Malcolm Brogdon

Hortford
Kristaps
Tatum
Brown
Dame
Derrick White
Bring back Grant Williams
Oshea Brisket
Sam Hauser
superunknown
AG
If the Spurs wanted to help facilitate by bringing back the Buffalo I'm good with it.
Guitarsoup
AG
Yeah, he and Tre would be a solid PG combo for this team.
jteagle
AG
NBA TV is replaying 3 of Wemby's games today. One of the games against Monaco and the two against Ignite. Started at 1:00.
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
Not much to watch tonight.
West Texan
AG
Posted these on the wrong thread, so I'll copy them here.

West Texan said:

Game isn't over yet but I'll go ahead and give some of my thoughts and observations.

-the summer Spurs still look like the Spurs. They move and play with the same kind of system that the big club does, and it's light years better than this hornets squad.
-we may not see much more of Julian Champagnie in summer league action. He's looked every bit of an NBA player out there who knows exactly what his strengths are. He's moved without the ball and knocked down 3s, attacked close outs and finished/gotten fouled at the rim, some timely cuts and crashing the offensive boards, and he's gotten out and run in transition for easy buckets. He's not out there trying to do too much and I love it. He's also moved his feet pretty well on defense and been active with his length in passing lanes.
-Barlow has been the next best player. He's noticeably bigger and more stout than last season and it's made him much better. The spin and finish with the left hand was a prime example of this. He's had several nice moves and finishes on the offensive end and even hit a little 18 foot jumper. Defensively he's done well in his drop coverage and had a couple help side blocks. The possession where he forced Brandon Miller into a travel on the perimeter was really nice and I'd like to see him moving his feet more.
-Cissoko looks like he's gonna be a really good defender. I really like the work he did on Brandon Miller, just made life hell for him. Didn't do too much on the offensive end, but had a couple of nice passes.
-Blake Wesley had some of the same issues as last year where he can get to the rim but just can't finish. He also had a few boneheaded turnovers that he needs to cut out. He's wasn't terrible but also hasn't been great.

West Texan said:

Some Cissoko love.

Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
The great:

Barlow: 10-13 shooting for 24 points and 11 rebounds, only 2 fouls and no turnovers.

Champagnie: 9-20 and 5-12 for 30 points, 8 rebounds, 4 steals, 1 foul, 0 turnovers

Brandon Miller couldn't score while being guarded by Sidy Cissoko. Miller had 7 fouls and 6 turnovers.

The not so great:

Wesley: 3-9 for 8 points, 8 assists, 7 turnovers

Charles Bediako: 12 minutes, 5 fouls, 1-3 shooting for 5 points, 3 rebounds
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The great:

Barlow: 10-13 shooting for 24 points and 11 rebounds, only 2 fouls and no turnovers.

Champagnie: 9-20 and 5-12 for 30 points, 8 rebounds, 4 steals, 1 foul, 0 turnovers

Brandon Miller couldn't score while being guarded by Sidy Cissoko. Miller had 7 fouls and 6 turnovers.

The not so great:

Wesley: 3-9 for 8 points, 8 assists, 7 turnovers

Charles Bediako: 12 minutes, 5 fouls, 1-3 shooting for 5 points, 3 rebounds

Wesley didn't play as bad as that stat line suggests. He was clearly trying to run point and set everybody up. He got a bunch of those turnovers trying to force feed the ball to teammates. Clearly, he could have gotten to the rim anytime he wanted. Champagnie and Barlow were awesome. I can't believe neither guy was drafted.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.