***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

178,070 Views | 3299 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by Guitarsoup
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

That would be a hard no for me. Ingram can't be a number two on a contender. He's showing that against Dort. I'm not a big Ingram fan. Too icy hot. Also, kind of a redundant fit with Devin.

Id much rather have one Jones or Murphy who can bring it defensively. I would do that trade for Murphy. But NOLA won't give up those two. They are likely going to move Ingram before next year.

Edit: NOLA won that 2021 draft btw. Imagine having one of those guys on our team right now. Freaking Primo.

I would do it for Jones in a heartbeat but I don't know about Trey Murphy. He's icy Hot as well and doesn't have any playmaking chops. Definitely a better defender than Ingram.

The other thing with Ingram is that he's always injured

You changed it before I found the Troy Murphy pic.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

That would be a hard no for me. Ingram can't be a number two on a contender. He's showing that against Dort. I'm not a big Ingram fan. Too icy hot. Also, kind of a redundant fit with Devin.

Id much rather have one Jones or Murphy who can bring it defensively. I would do that trade for Murphy. But NOLA won't give up those two. They are likely going to move Ingram before next year.

Edit: NOLA won that 2021 draft btw. Imagine having one of those guys on our team right now. Freaking Primo.

I would do it for Jones in a heartbeat but I don't know about Trey Murphy. He's icy Hot as well and doesn't have any playmaking chops. Definitely a better defender than Ingram.

The other thing with Ingram is that he's always injured

You changed it before I found the Troy Murphy pic.

LawHall88
AG
The Ringer's NBA Draft podcast spends about 10 minutes on Nikola Topic at the beginning of this episode:
https://www.theringer.com/2024/4/24/24138905/scouting-nikola-topic-young-players-shining-in-the-nba-playoffs-magic-offseason

The gist is his shooting mechanics need serious work, but his size, ball handling and passing skills will put him near or at the top of this particular draft, and the Spurs are the best fit amongst teams at the top of the draft. They didn't address his defense at all.
Guitarsoup
AG
LawHall88 said:

The Ringer's NBA Draft podcast spends about 10 minutes on Nikola Topic at the beginning of this episode:
https://www.theringer.com/2024/4/24/24138905/scouting-nikola-topic-young-players-shining-in-the-nba-playoffs-magic-offseason

The gist is his shooting mechanics need serious work, but his size, ball handling and passing skills will put him near or at the top of this particular draft, and the Spurs are the best fit amongst teams at the top of the draft. They didn't address his defense at all.
I listened to it and I get that we need another PG, but I don't think he is it and I don't think we necessarily need a PnR type guy like him.

I don't like Wemby setting picks and screens, and even when he does, they aren't really hard picks or anything, because guys run into his legs. So I don't think that is the archetype of player we want to put around Wemby. Additionally, since he can't shoot, he is a huge negative without the ball on offense and a huge negative on defense. That's not what the Spurs need.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ok:

#2 and #7 plus Graham, Keldon, and Collins for Mikal Bridges... but you have to take the rotting corpse of Ben Simmons too.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ok:

#2 and #7 plus Graham, Keldon, and Collins for Mikal Bridges... but you have to take the rotting corpse of Ben Simmons too.

Absolutely.
West Texan
AG
A few thoughts on this year's draft:

We all want to hit a home run with our (potentially 2) top ten pick. But we've already got Wemby, so this draft won't make or break us the same way it could the wizards. Because of that we could approach this draft a couple different ways; swing for a high boom/bust prospect, or pick a lower ceiling guy that is more likely to fit in next to Wemby. I don't think there's a wrong answer to which philosophy you choose, it's such a weak draft and no one sticks out that it's not worth getting upset about if someone disagrees. I've been looking at guys that are projected in the top half of the lottery as fitting into one of those two categories instead of a traditional ranking. I think a case could be made for any of these guys to be the Spurs pick.

High ceiling guys:
-Alex Sarr- size and athleticism should make him a solid defender, but lacks a lot of polish offensively. I think best case scenario he's somewhere between Jaren Jackson Jr and Evan Mobley.
-Stephon Castle- also looks like he should be a solid defender, but does he have enough play making to be a full time PG or is he another 6'5" off ball guard? His shooting needs work, but if he can get a reliable jumper he'll have a long career as a high end 3 and D player with potential for more.
-Nikola Topic- he's been discussed a lot lately
-Matas Buzelis- 6'10" with guard skills and is pretty good at everything. However, he's not elite at anything.
-Ron Holland- super athletic and competitive, should be a solid defender, can't shoot and hasn't shown a ton of shot creation or play making.

Safer prospects, lower ceilings:
-Zaccharie Risacher- 6'10" who can shoot on the move as well as catch and shoot. Had a rough slump towards the end of his season, but you're buying his long term shooting and defensive versatility with his size. Not going to create his own shot. Best case is he's Michael Porter 2.0.
-Reed Sheppard- unbelievable shooting numbers, elite feel for the game on both ends of the court, plays hard and unselfishly and I think is destined for a long career. He's listed at 6'3" (may be smaller), not an elite athlete so he'll struggle at the rim, and doesn't appear to be a true PG. I think he'll be a better defending Patty Mills that can handle some secondary point duties, but is best as a spark plug shooter.
-Cody Williams- another guy with really good basketball IQ on both ends of the court, but nothing pops that says he's gonna be an all star. I think he'll be a decent defender, the ball won't stick, and he'll shoot it well enough that people have to respect him.
-Dalton Knecht- guys that can shoot always have a role in the league. Looks like another Dougie McBuckets and he's older.
-Donovan Clingan- I think he's got a lot of Jakob Poeltl qualities to his game and will be a solid big in the league. Hate his fit next to Wemby though.
-Rob Dillingham- microwave scorer but will get picked on defensively. Reminds me of Lou Williams.
Guitarsoup
AG
I like the Swiss Army qualities of Matas, but I worry that he won't be able to guard any SFs in the league, which would make him a default PF. Maybe that works with Sochan, but I don't see him being strong enough to bang with big bodies, which we might want with Wemby.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I like the Swiss Army qualities of Matas, but I worry that he won't be able to guard any SFs in the league, which would make him a default PF. Maybe that works with Sochan, but I don't see him being strong enough to bang with big bodies, which we might want with Wemby.

A lot of Kyle Anderson/Nikola Jovic to his game.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Yeah, but worried he wont have the SloMo defensive ability there. Really hard to evaluate Ignite players because the Ignite is so trash and it will take like 2-3 years to wash all the Ignite Stank off them.
jteagle
AG
Sher Thing said:

I like Clingan but I agree it doesn't make sense.

Topic is a tough one. Definitely where the scouting departments earns their money. The Spurs can't afford to draft another euro bust like Samanic here. They have to be sure about him. Holland and Buzelis are somewhat intriguing but adding more guys who can't shoot just doesn't get me excited whatsoever. Feel kind of the same way about Castle; although, I admit that the defensive upside looks off the charts there. Kinda leaves Sheppard, Dillingham, Williams and Knecht for me. I am also still somewhat high on Collier.

Just a really difficult draft up at the top. I actually think there's some value in the later first with guys like Devin Carter, Ryan Dunn, Tyler Smith, Hunter Sallis, and Da Silva. Saluan is definitely another interesting one to watch. I wouldn't be surprised to see him shoot up the boards as the draft gets closer.

Some of the mocks have some of those guys dropping into the 2nd round, especially Sallis and Da Silva.
Salaun is extremely raw. Probably spend all season in the G League.
Guitarsoup
AG
jteagle said:

Sher Thing said:

Topic is a tough one. Definitely where the scouting departments earns their money. The Spurs can't afford to draft another euro bust like Samanic here. They have to be sure about him. Holland and Buzelis are somewhat intriguing but adding more guys who can't shoot just doesn't get me excited whatsoever. Feel kind of the same way about Castle; although, I admit that the defensive upside looks off the charts there. Kinda leaves Sheppard, Dillingham, Williams and Knecht for me. I am also still somewhat high on Collier.

Just a really difficult draft up at the top. I actually think there's some value in the later first with guys like Devin Carter, Ryan Dunn, Tyler Smith, Hunter Sallis, and Da Silva. Saluan is definitely another interesting one to watch. I wouldn't be surprised to see him shoot up the boards as the draft gets closer.

Some of the mocks have some of those guys dropping into the 2nd round, especially Sallis and Da Silva.
If we only get a late pick of our own and want to focus on the 2025 draft, getting Salaun and sending him to Austin all year would be pretty great, if Castle, Reed, and Williams are all gone. Would love to land Sallis and/or Karaban in the 2nd. I would tend to think we trade one or both seconds to move up or for future picks.
West Texan
AG
jteagle said:

Sher Thing said:

I really like Jalen Bridges out of Baylor if he we could get him at 35. Long switchable defender, shot it well from 3 and the mechanics look smooth.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Matas is intriguing but there's a slowness to the way he moves that I don't like. It's not the 'I play at my own pace' movement. He's just slow.
Guitarsoup
AG
Risacher played again.

14 points

10 rebounds

1 steal

2 block

0 assists

5/16 FG

1/5 3P

3/3 FT

40% TS

23 MIN
Enzo The Baker
AG
Man. That true shooting percentage. I don't know what to make of that guy.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I'm not sure he's better than 4th option on a championship team, right? He doesn't create at all.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I'm not sure he's better than 4th option on a championship team, right? He doesn't create at all.

Yea I'm not sure how he will project. He's young but presently, if the shooting isn't there, what can he do better than Sochan?
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Yea I'm not sure how he will project. He's young but presently, if the shooting isn't there, what can he do better than Sochan?

Get things off the top shelf.
jteagle
AG
West Texan said:

jteagle said:

Sher Thing said:

I really like Jalen Bridges out of Baylor if he we could get him at 35. Long switchable defender, shot it well from 3 and the mechanics look smooth.

I like Bridges too. But there are several good options that will be available then. Good shooters, a big man that could upgrade the 2nd unit, a PG if they don't get one in the first.
Guitarsoup
AG

I was hoping that he would come out in the draft and we could move our two seconds up to late 1st to grab him. Definitely a guy to watch for next year.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I like to think I am over Kawhi. But man do I love see him and a team from LA get their ass kicked.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I like to think I am over Kawhi. But man do I love see him and a team from LA get their ass kicked.
If he had made one more shot, he would have had a whole ten points. He's catching Playoff Harden.
2008and1
AG
Mavs-Clippers is a rough series as a spurs fan. On one hand I hate the Mavs organization and want them to fail. On the other hand I hate most of the players on the Clippers and want them to fail.
Guitarsoup
AG
I'll never hate the Mavs as much as Kawhi and Harden.
jteagle
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I'll never hate the Mavs as much as Kawhi and Harden.

Not a big fan of Westbrook either.
flashplayer
AG
The only thing that could make the Clippers more loathsome is if the name "Lakers" appeared on their jerseys.
Guitarsoup
AG
Devin > > > Steph

Guitarsoup
AG
WE'RE BACK BABY

LawHall88
AG
AA
AG
Love our creative team but WHAT is that graphic lol
Guitarsoup
AG
AA said:

Love our creative team but WHAT is that graphic lol

It looks like we're planning to party like it's 1939
Enzo The Baker
AG

Probably be nothing. Who wouldn't want to play with Victor?
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't think he's going to be on the Spurs draft board. The smallest guard that pop has drafted in the first round in the last decade is Malachi Branham at 6'4 barefoot with a 6'10 wingspan and 195 lb.
Guitarsoup
AG
LaMelo is a giant Wemby fan, apparently.

https://instagr.am/p/C6ZS6bcR7Jn

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.