***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

163,801 Views | 2969 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Enzo The Baker
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Like 20 people didn't even give Wemby 3rd place.

Remove their votes
AA
AG
Feels like the goal posts moved on the criteria for DPOY this year. I hope everyone who voted Gobert to win felt dumb after watching the TWolves be dominant defensively last night without him on the floor
2008and1
AG
2008and1
AG
Like it or not Wemby was never winning DPOY. Gobert had this award won from before the all star break and there are just too many voters that held on to the team record narrative.
Guitarsoup
AG
It's just hilarious how they go back and forth. Camby won because of blocks when Duncan had the best defense.

Now Wemby has the most blocks but rudy wins because he has the best defense
PatAg
AG
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Guitarsoup said:

It's just hilarious how they go back and forth. Camby won because of blocks when Duncan had the best defense.

Now Wemby has the most blocks but rudy wins because he has the best defense
Shaq's podcast with JJ Redick talks about this very thing. Ridiculous.
Enzo The Baker
AG
The nuggets had the 11th best defense when Camby won. Spurs had 26th best this year. I honestly think that team success and team defense does matter a little bit. I don't think this award has ever been given to someone with a bottom 10 or even below average team defense.

Most voters aren't going to go in and look at on-off numbers either, or at least they won't give weight to them. In the 20 that didn't vote for Victor at all, they probably just think he's Whiteside. I honestly think that player voting should be given some weight. But at the end of the day, this team needs to be constructed better with competent defenders. Until that happens, Vic won't win.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

The nuggets had the 11th best defense when Camby won. Spurs had 26th best this year. I honestly think that team success and team defense does matter a little bit. I don't think this award has ever been given to someone with a bottom 10 or even below average team defense.

Most voters aren't going to go in and look at on-off numbers either, or at least they won't give weight to them. In the 20 that didn't vote for Victor at all, they probably just think he's Whiteside. I honestly think that player voting should be given some weight. But at the end of the day, this team needs to be constructed better with competent defenders. Until that happens, Vic won't win.

But we've also seen multiple times including this week that Minnesota is still the best defense in the league even when gobert's not playing.

I completely agree that gobert has greatly influenced and helped their defense, but I also don't think that he's the most impactful defender in the league anymore.

Completely agree that we need to be constructed with better defense.

If you look at the top four teams they are Oklahoma, Houston, Denver and Minnesota and across the 20 starters on those four teams only Josh giddy is a negative defender. And at least giddy has size and length so he's not completely worthless like Rob dillingham or Trey young would be.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Counterpoint: Camby won his in 2007, and per possession stats were really not being discussed or considered to the level they are now. When people talked about team defense then, they usually meant points per game and not per 100 possessions. Using that, Denver was the 26th best defense.
Enzo The Baker
AG
That might be true but that's kind of hindsight right? They voted based on the metric of the time. Also, the nuggets were a 6th seed, which probably helped Camby's cause.
Enzo The Baker
AG
FWIW, Victor and Bol are the only two rookies to get as high as 2nd in DPOY. Victor is the only ROY to get 2nd.
Ag Natural
AG
Draft lottery is on Sunday. High drama
Guitarsoup
AG
I am wavering some on Risacher since he is playing much better again.

1. Sarr
2. Risacher
3. Castle
4. Sheppard
5. Clingan
Ag Natural
AG
I know 2025 is a stronger draft. But I still want two top 10 picks this year. I'd like Wright to have 2 shots to get one gem. We'll still have 3 or 4 first round picks next year.
Guitarsoup
AG
I kind of don't care. If we get both this year, we can play both a ton of minutes and have a better shot at #1-4 next year.

Sarr or Risacher plus Castle or Sheppard would be a pretty decent return, especially since that second pick was for Jakob who was leaving anyway. It would be funny if we used the Raptors pick on Clingan - then Clingan becomes the next Poeltl.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural said:

I know 2025 is a stronger draft. But I still want two top 10 picks this year. I'd like Wright to have 2 shots to get one gem. We'll still have 3 or 4 first round picks next year.

Same. A bird in hand sort of thing. While most indications are pointing Toronto not tanking the next two years, you never know.

Better for roster management as well. Assuming we don't use it in a trade of course.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

1. Sarr
2. Risacher
3. Castle
4. Sheppard
5. Clingan

I would say this is close to mine as well. I think I would put Dillingham at my 5 as of right now. Our bench is in terrible need of a spark plug, and I think he could be that at the very least (assuming it's the worst of the two picks).
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

1. Sarr
2. Risacher
3. Castle
4. Sheppard
5. Clingan

I would say this is close to mine as well. I think I would put Dillingham at my 5 as of right now. Our bench is in terrible need of a spark plug, and I think he could be that at the very least (assuming it's the worst of the two picks).

This is where having 2 picks would be great. Because you can take a gamble on Dillingham and use the other pick on a "safer" option.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

1. Sarr
2. Risacher
3. Castle
4. Sheppard
5. Clingan

This is where having 2 picks would be great. Because you can take a gamble on Dillingham and use the other pick on a "safer" option.
I still look at the rotations of the top 4 teams in the playoffs:

Celts - Kristaps, Hortford, Tatum, Brown, White, Jrue - all plus defenders
Thunder - Chet, Giddey, Dort, SGA, Williams, Wallace - all except Giddy are plus defenders
TPups - Gobert, KAT, McD, Conley, SloMo, Naz, NAW, Ant - all plus defenders
Nuggs - Jokic, Gordon, MPJ, Jamal Murray, KCP - all plus defenders.

I think good offensive players with no defense are easy to find. Hell, we can find one if we look at Keldon. If you consider Keldon a good offensive player.

If our choice is Rob, Shep, Castle, my choice wouldn't be Dillingham. Dilly just doesn't make sense to me. He wasn't the best shooter on his team. He wasn't the best passer on his team. He wasn't the best scorer on his team. But he was the worst defender.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural said:

Draft lottery is on Sunday. High drama

Combine starts Sunday too.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

1. Sarr
2. Risacher
3. Castle
4. Sheppard
5. Clingan

Thunder - Chet, Giddey, Dort, SGA, Williams, Wallace - all except Giddy are plus defenders

I think good offensive players with no defense are easy to find. Hell, we can find one if we look at Keldon. If you consider Keldon a good offensive player.

If our choice is Rob, Shep, Castle, my choice wouldn't be Dillingham. Dilly just doesn't make sense to me. He wasn't the best shooter on his team. He wasn't the best passer on his team. He wasn't the best scorer on his team. But he was the worst defender.

I think Dillingham was the best scorer in Kentucky. He might of only been the 2nd leading scorer but Reeves was a starting senior that played 8 more mins per game. I think his shot creation and handles could be special. I don't really like the Keldon comparison for offense. Keldon can drive right and be a streaky spot up shooter. That's it. It's not like he was a big shot in the arm for us either. Dillingham also shot the 3 at over 44%. He's already a much better shooter than Keldon.

I agree with you 100% on defense though. I'd pick castle over him too, and it's not close. Reed too right now probably.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

1. Sarr
2. Risacher
3. Castle
4. Sheppard
5. Clingan

I listened to the Ringer Draft podcast and the GM of Overtime Elite thinks Dillingham is a special scorer who'd thrive under the guidance of Pop and the Spurs. I still like Castle more overall, but he is very intriguing.
Guitarsoup
AG
Yeah, obviously Keldon and Rob don't have similar games. Big body and tiny body.

I would feel different if Rob put in lots of effort on defense, but he just doesn't.

I think last year he goes after Keyonte George at 16.

And I think if we wanted to get a guy like him, it isn't that hard.
Sher Thing
AG
I mean Anthony Edwards averaged 19ppg on 40% shooting and 29% 3PT. At some point when the guys are this young you have to draft on potential. Personally, I think Dilly's ceiling is higher than Sheppard based on his offensive abilities and athleticism.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I'll make my conclusion when I see Rob's height without shoes next week.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I'll make my conclusion when I see Rob's height without shoes next week.

6'0.75
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

I mean Anthony Edwards averaged 19ppg on 40% shooting and 29% 3PT. At some point when the guys are this young you have to draft on potential. Personally, I think Dilly's ceiling is higher than Sheppard based on his offensive abilities and athleticism.

Ant was also 6'5 230 with 41" vertical

I think Dilly's ceiling is Lou Williams with better shot and floor is Bones Hyland.
superunknown
AG
Sports-Ag said:

Late to the ROY party but my friend @SSE says that Wemby's Instagram post hit RC hard and he got emotional about it. Wemby may very well be the GOAT someday
Enzo The Baker
AG
superunknown said:

Sports-Ag said:

Late to the ROY party but my friend @SSE says that Wemby's Instagram post hit RC hard and he got emotional about it. Wemby may very well be the GOAT someday

[RC pushes BW aside in the war room on draft day.] 'I got this.'

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.