*****Aggies vs. Houston - NCAA Tournament 2nd Round*****

153,390 Views | 2388 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by AlaskanAg99
eternaloblivion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Taylor played like kaka
Fquin
AG
The only thing that we could control that cost us this game is missed free throws. Bad time outs, whining about refs, bad shot selection, none of that mannered if you just make your free throws.

Great season Aggs. It was fun.
t - cam
AG
lil_frog8 said:

Thought we had a shot once Sharp fouled out… why we gave him sooooo many open looks is beyond me. I understand Shead was dangerous but let the help come from anyone but the guy guarding Sharp and we might have won!

Guess what, they have a good coach as well who is good at getting his guys open. Why do NBA games always come down to the best guys winning games? Because they're the best guys.
Boiling Denim
On the one hand you gotta be proud of the boys for coming back and making that one of the games of the tournament on the other just lolAggie. 45 FTs and we still lost. That may never happen again
Beat40
94chem said:

Beat40 said:

BLSmith04 said:

Damn if just one of those two long jumpers at the end of regulation where we had a toe on the line was a 3, then Andy's shot wins the game.

I don't think we're shooting a 3 in that situation if one of those long jumpers was a 3.

Um, with 1.2 seconds to go, we're shooting a 3 there.

Possibly.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Dammit I really think we would have beaten Duke handily
Onionman
Hard to believe we missed so many FTs and Taylor did not play his usual game.....and we still almost won.
t - cam
AG
I thought this thread would be about that great game but seems it's the normal complaint fest.
Sports-Ag
AG
Would have been nice to advance to sweet 16 in Dallas vs Duke. I know Duke fans travel well in the tournament but would have been a lot of Aggies there to make noise.
94chem
t - cam said:

Awesome game. That was the team we thought we had before the year.

Even our ability to go small was impressive. So much depth and versatility with Manny, Solo, and Garcia all playing well.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
kyledr04
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Maybe a moral victory, but the other #1 vs #8/9 scores were:

106-67
85-69
75-58

If anything, it's a good lesson that you can't have those mid-year lulls that get you stuck in the #8/#9 slot.

Absolutely right but this is also the exact situation that can take down a #1. An under seeded 8/9 is dangerous l, we just blew it.
agdaddy04
AG
BLSmith04 said:

Damn if just one of those two long jumpers at the end of regulation where we had a toe on the line was a 3, then Andy's shot wins the game.
or if they hadn't called Carter out of bounds
BLSmith04
AG
Shead is the best on ball defender in the ENTIRE COUNTRY. Guess who shadowed Wade the entire game. There is a reason Wade struggled, he never had open space, he rarely had open shots that weren't contested, and the constant defense from Shead definitely made him press. He played poorly, but it's not like he was just missing open shots the whole game.
txag72
AG
Quote:

Still can't get over Buzz' TO with Boots driving downhill to the bucket.
I'm sure Buzz was calling for a TO way before Boots got that far down court. It takes a couple of seconds for a TO to get called, whistle blown etc.
AggieDub25
I would still like to see the replay on the OT out of bounds save Houston had.
kyledr04
AG
Fquin said:

The only thing that we could control that cost us this game is missed free throws. Bad time outs, whining about refs, bad shot selection, none of that mannered if you just make your free throws.

Great season Aggs. It was fun.

That bad out of bounds call was huge though
BLSmith04
AG
AggieDub25 said:

Yeah I feel like Shead was out of bounds when the ball hit him
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
t - cam said:

I thought this thread would be about that great game but seems it's the normal complaint fest.

I mean, the season is over. It sucks no matter how you slice it
t - cam
AG
BLSmith04 said:

Shead is the best on ball defender in the ENTIRE COUNTRY. Guess who shadowed Wade the entire game. There is a reason Wade struggled, he never had open space, he rarely had open shots that weren't contested, and the constant defense from Shead definitely made him press. He played poorly, but it's not like he was just missing open shots the whole game.

To be fair he also tried to lock Wade up in the first game and got absolutely worked.
sgolden2433
AG
I rewinded the tape a few times

For piece of mind - the ball definitely stayed in bounds.
TxAg76
AG
Not sure why we didn't attack the rim harder from the start of the OT.
We could have been playing their bench with 3 mins still left.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Really proud of that effort. No shame in losing to a #1 seed in OT, even if it a commuter school in Houston. Cougar High IMHO has better shooters all around, and we gave them a he!! of a game.

Given how Taylor started his final stat line was impressive and he hit some huge shots.

For those complaining about Buzz, can it. If we make 1/2 the FTs we missed (which would still be a below avg. %) we maybe win this game in regulation. Also the last TO he was already calling that when Radford hid mid-court, he didn't call it when Radford was already driving in the lane.

We had a bad start to OT and started to miss FTs again while Cougar High mad them. My only ??/complaint/observation is that I believe Shead started OT with 4 fouls. If that was the case the first several possessions should have been Radford or Taylor driving the lane against Shead. If we get a fould and get him out of there early in OT that likely changes the entire dynamic of OT.

Great season guys, I think they bounced back from some bad Ls (Vandy, Pig) to have a really strong finish to the season and something that can hold their head high and be proud of.
BartInLA
Hey, we took the #2 ranked team in the nation to overtime with an unbelievable comeback. I'm proud of our team.
Fquin
AG
Not if we had made our free throws.
94chem
t - cam said:

67 teams will lose. I've got a lot of praise, and I know that A&M is the better team. Yeah, the FT stink, but the thought of having Solo and Manny back means we can have a good team. Gonna really miss Garcia, Boots, and Henry.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
txag72
AG
Quote:

t - cam said:

Nah, but thankfully, a bunch of them left with 5 minutes left so there's that.
Inca
AG
Andy can come back for his Covid year, as can Henry. Do you know they are not returning?
Topher17
AG
Garcia and Henry both have remaining eligibility.
94chem
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Dammit I really think we would have beaten Duke handily

UH and A&M are both better than Duke. We'll see if this saps UH emotionally. If any team is tough enough to get up again, it's them. Go Heels! Go Coogs!
94chem,
TexasRebel
AG
BLSmith04 said:

AggieDub25 said:

Oob against us.

Twice.

TAMUallen
AG
BLSmith04 said:

AggieDub25 said:

Looked like he was. Announcers thought so too.

All things said, yes should have hit FTs but the refs seemed quite sketchy and swallowed whistles BAD until the end of the game. Game would have been so very different if it had been called even close to as poorly as the 1st half, throughout. We would have seen guys that didn't play for Houston, playing at 5 minutes left
AggieDub25
We really need to go get some shooters and another athletic big to go beside Solo. Another Boots will be nice as well. Possibly a pure Point Guard.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Jarrin' Jay said:

For those complaining about Buzz, can it. If we make 1/2 the FTs we missed (which would still be a below avg. %) we maybe win this game in regulation.
Actually season avg is .707, that would have only give us three more points. Yes that would have made a difference, but Houston would have been playing differently too if we had been hitting free throws.

We shot almost 79% in second half with is well above our free throw average
Fquin
AG
Hey, at least we set a record for most missed free throws in a tournament game.
94chem
Topher17 said:

Garcia and Henry both have remaining eligibility.

Henry is the definition of a good Ag. Love to see him back. Garcia could probably turn pro, but maybe he'll come back and work of his handle and his shot. He is a marvelous specimen. Like Dennis Rodman had a baby with Lisa Bonet.
94chem,

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.