Hydroxychloroquine...........

294,057 Views | 1854 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Jabin
Infection_Ag11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PikesPeakAg said:

2020 COVID QTC Guidance is an exceptional guide from mayo Clinic EP. Our network is using the algorithm, shown as Figure 1 Page 19, as a reference to our providers. (If I knew how to pull that figure out to post it separately I would.) Our PDF version is the bottom half of diagram that has to do with QT prolongation only for non trial eligible patients.

Regardless, it's worth printing.

Good Luck!
Very cool, thanks!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
goodAg80
AG
fig96
AG
I feel like this goes without saying, but please don't use Dr Oz as your basis for medical advice for everyone's sake.
goodAg80
AG
fig96 said:

I feel like this goes without saying, but please don't use Dr Oz as your basis for medical advice for everyone's sake.
Deepak Chopra is much better.
Alf83
AG
Player To Be Named Later
AG
So Italy continues to see very high daily death rates. Are they just not really able to or not trying these meds? Or is it just not working?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Many over 80. They ran out of vents. Pulm docs having to ration vents based on algorithms of age, survivability, comorbidities, etc. Got a similar protocol for my state other day. Eerie times.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Think we ever get to the point of early/frequent testing so we can get folks on these meds before end up hospitalized?
Pelayo
AG
I've had three PUI in the last seven days, borderline O2 requirement, who I am all but sure have it, only one got their Rx filled because of difficulty at the pharmacy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Think we ever get to the point of early/frequent testing so we can get folks on these meds before end up hospitalized?
Yes I think the new Abbott labs test will help start to get us there. Now we just need more trials and data on the plaquenil Zithromax combination, if it does work it is time to start mass producing these drugs. Unless you have a contraindication like QT prolongation or retinopathy you start using it aggressively to cut down the hospitalizations and ventilator use.
HowdyTAMU
AG
Quote:

Got a similar protocol for my state other day.
Can you tell us more about this?
OldArmy71
AG
Doctor, I note that Wiki says that retinal toxicity happens after extended periods of treatment. Would the suggested regimen for COVID 19 approach that sort of dosage?
Reveille
AG
OldArmy71 said:

Doctor, I note that Wiki says that retinal toxicity happens after extended periods of treatment. Would the suggested regimen for COVID 19 approach that sort of dosage?
Doubtful! I think the main thing to watch for is QT prolongation so an EKG prior to use is something to consider.
Keegan99
AG
Do you feel the zinc supplement is important?

The theoretical whiteboard explanation is the hydroxychloroquin is simply the mechanism to get the zinc into the cell.
Reveille
AG
Keegan99 said:

Do you feel the zinc supplement is important?

The theoretical whiteboard explanation is the hydroxychloroquin is simply the mechanism to get the zinc into the cell.

Not really most people if they eat a balanced diet have plenty of zinc. However, I am taking zinc because I sure don't want to be zinc deficient if I get sick!
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Revellie. What are your thoughts re azithro plus HCQ. Re QTc intervals. Amazing our ID docs DCing azithro for this reason. Talking about hypoxic sick COVID pts. I am ordering daily EKGs and trying not to consult ID but hospitalist are doing it.
ttuhscaggie
AG
OldArmy71 said:

It's rarely seen with long term use over at least 3-5 years.
goodAg80
AG
What is the current thinking about using ibuprofen while sick?

I just got a text stating how dangerous it is.
OldArmy71
AG
I realize I should ask my retina doctor this, but I don't want to sit through four waiting areas to see him and their online presence is not very helpful.

What sorts of issues in the retina make use of this drug problematic? I have had a Branch Retinal Vein Occlusion (seven years ago) and an aneurysm that bled (three years ago), both in the left retina. Is that the sort of thing that means I should not use the drug?

I found this journal article.

The manufacturers of HCQ suggest that pre-existing maculopathy is a contraindication to treatment,12 and the AAO criteria state it as a risk factor for the development of HCQ retinopathy.24, 25 There are no specific data to demonstrate that patients with pre-existing macular disease are more susceptible to HCQ retinopathy, although subtle parafoveal structural and functional abnormalities secondary to HCQ may be difficult or impossible to detect with SD-OCT, AF or mfERG in the context of pre-existing macular disease. Macular disorders should be identified at baseline by Ophthalmologists as part of AAO (2011) guidelines24 and baseline examination within the first year of treatment is advised in the 2016 guidelines.25 This will only be identified, according to RCOphth joint guidelines (2009) if the patient has visual symptoms at baseline and is then encouraged to see an Optometrist to determine whether the macula is affected, with an onward referral to an ophthalmologist if so.22 The authors of RCOphth joint guidelines advocate Amsler's screening from Rheumatology clinics by the prescribing physician.22 Interestingly this has been omitted from the more recently published AAO guidelines (2011 and 2016).24, 25 Isolated drusen with good photoreceptor function should not be considered a contraindication to HCQ treatment: a baseline SD-OCT, and AF imaging with a visual field test should be carried out in this context.25
Barnyard96
AG
Per Governor presser, New York had 172 ICU admissions in one day. Down from 374 the previous day.

Cocktail working?
BiochemAg97
AG
goodAg80 said:

What is the current thinking about using ibuprofen while sick?

I just got a text stating how dangerous it is.
Through a complicated pathway, NSAIDs like ibuprofen can increase the receptor the virus binds to. That freaks people out, so everyone is saying don't. Tylenol Is not an NSAID so doesn't do this.

In reality, it only takes one virus binding to one receptor to infect a new cell. If you were dealing with small numbers, the likelihood of one virus finding one receptor is low. But when you are dealing with millions of viruses and a large number of receptors, it probably doesn't matter if you have a small change on the number of receptors. That is the basis for the current advice from WHO that avoiding NSAIDs isn't necessary,

Out of caution, use Tylenol first, but if that doesn't work, ibuprofen is probably not going to make things worse if you have to use it.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Just thinking outside of the box right now....

With our testing numbers/protocols being a complete Charlie Foxtrot at the moment, and just sending tons of people home with fairly clear signs of this virus.... what are the abilities of doctors to prescribe Hydroxychloroquine/azithro to people without a confirmed test?

You would think if someone has high fever, body aches, and somewhat short of breath that getting these drugs into them before they go downhill and a burden on an ER would be a good plan.

I realize you'd have to be cautious about the folks who would want it just because they feel a "little bad" and that we'd need to get the supply side into over drive, but is this feasible to start doing?
Tabasco
AG

With our testing numbers/protocols being a complete Charlie Foxtrot at the moment, and just sending tons of people home with fairly clear signs of this virus.... what are the abilities of doctors to prescribe Hydroxychloroquine/azithro to people without a confirmed test?

You would think if someone has high fever, body aches, and somewhat short of breath that getting these drugs into them before they go downhill and a burden on an ER would be a good plan.

I realize you'd have to be cautious about the folks who would want it just because they feel a "little bad" and that we'd need to get the supply side into over drive, but is this feasible to start doing?
That's what I want to know.
Reveille
AG
Tabasco said:

Unfortunately that is not an option at this point. The State of Texas Medical Board has specifically said in order to prevent at run on these medications they are requiring a confirmed positive before they will dispense this combination of medications. I have located a couple of compounding pharmacies for my patient's who have been on hydroxycholoroquine for years for autoimmune diseases as it has become difficult to obtain now. Some pharmacies are even wanting a code of bronchitis or pneumonia prior to dispensing Zithromax now.

This is where the new fast Abbott test will come in to play. They diagnosis can be made earlier and than you can discuss with the patient if they wish to try this or not. If they have had a normal EKG recently I think it is worth trying. I am sure many other physicians will feel the same. Some will want to wait till we have more data or FDA approval. As we other treatments as we start using it more and studies are released we will find out if it is truly effective or not.

My personal opinion based on what I have read and heard from other doctors who have been using it. Is that seems to be effective if started early in the clinical process. However, much like Tamiflu if you start it later in the disease process it seems to have a minimal effect. So here is where early detection appears to be key and should give us a much better understanding of the effectiveness of this combination.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
That's not really encouraging news for the time being. Sure, we have a pretty effective treatment, but aren't really able to get it to them when it's effective.

This entire testing disaster is screwing us in so many ways.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Is the testing improving? We live in Rockport and would have to be tested in Corpus Christi. Is it widespread enough that if needed. we could obtain fast testing?
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Marcus Aurelius
AG
The assay is now 10-14 day turnaround for me. The COVID ARDS pts I'm seeing are too far along in the disease process for HCQ to be effective at that point. These rapid assays have got be implemented. There was news of a 45 min one a week or so ago, now the 5 min one.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Man, I feel for you on the front lines. Not only are you fighting an awful disease, but also fighting a horrible system.

We have the best experts but one of the worst bureaucracies.
JD Shellnut
AG
What a cluster ****! Sure we have meds to help you, but unfortunately you may be dead by the time your test results are back! I live on the Texas/Louisiana border, I wonder if like Texas, Louisiana requires a positive test first as well? May determine where I go for treatment, if needed.
TRADUCTOR
Cayman Chemical in Michigan research link might be interesting for the Doctors and researchers on this board

https://www.caymanchem.com/news/using-existing-therapeutics-against-sars-cov-2

Note: The products listed in this article are for biomedical research only. They are not for human or veterinary use.

Currently, there are no approved drugs to treat the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Existing FDA-approved drugs that have a known favorable safety profile are being examined for strategies to treat the disease and fast-track a treatment plan. The influenza drug favilavir (favipiravir;... Ebola virus drug remdesivir ...This virus shares 79.5% sequence identity with SARS-CoV and uses the same angiotensin converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) receptor as SARS-CoV as a mechanism of cell entry. ACE2 is highly concentrated in airway epithelial cells...

Various potential targets for development of COVID-19 therapeutics exist along the stages from when a positive-sense, single-stranded RNA virus infects host cells and replicates.

Abl Kinase Inhibitors
Virus-Host Fusion Inhibitors
Protease Inhibitors
RNA-Dependent RNA Polymerase Inhibitors
RdRp Inhibitors
Oxysterol-Binding Protein Inhibitors
Endosomal pH Regulators
Endosomal Acidification Inhibitors
Uncovering the Role of BRD2 in COVID-19
BiochemAg97
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

The assay is now 10-14 day turnaround for me. The COVID ARDS pts I'm seeing are too far along in the disease process for HCQ to be effective at that point. These rapid assays have got be implemented. There was news of a 45 min one a week or so ago, now the 5 min one.
I wouldn't hold my breat on the rapid tests being a game changer anytime soon. The production volumes are just not there.
BiochemAg97
AG
Reveille said:

Tabasco said:

Unfortunately that is not an option at this point. The State of Texas Medical Board has specifically said in order to prevent at run on these medications they are requiring a confirmed positive before they will dispense this combination of medications. I have located a couple of compounding pharmacies for my patient's who have been on hydroxycholoroquine for years for autoimmune diseases as it has become difficult to obtain now. Some pharmacies are even wanting a code of bronchitis or pneumonia prior to dispensing Zithromax now.

This is where the new fast Abbott test will come in to play. They diagnosis can be made earlier and than you can discuss with the patient if they wish to try this or not. If they have had a normal EKG recently I think it is worth trying. I am sure many other physicians will feel the same. Some will want to wait till we have more data or FDA approval. As we other treatments as we start using it more and studies are released we will find out if it is truly effective or not.

My personal opinion based on what I have read and heard from other doctors who have been using it. Is that seems to be effective if started early in the clinical process. However, much like Tamiflu if you start it later in the disease process it seems to have a minimal effect. So here is where early detection appears to be key and should give us a much better understanding of the effectiveness of this combination.
Given the high % of tests are coming back negative, even with the most likely patients, prescribing the drugs to anyone with the symptoms would be a terrible approach if you wanted the drugs available to the patients that need it. Far too many things have flu like symptoms.
BiochemAg97
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Out of curiosity, where are you and where are you sending the samples?
Player To Be Named Later
AG
So I'm really getting the vibe that we shouldn't get too encouraged by this treatment protocol, given the fact that it's going to be difficult to even get it to people while it's still effective.

What a kick in the nuts.
JD Shellnut
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2934583001

I see Remdesivir is back online. How hard will it be for doctors to actually get it for their patients now?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.