Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

79,018 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by Thunder18
Thunder18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Talk about dodging a bullet there...now we just have to survive the next 15-20 minutes
Thunder18
AG
Jesus
Showstopper
AG
Well this is a special kind of train wreck
Bmac04
AG
Trash club
BJM1781
AG
We are hilariously bad.
Dre_00
Thunder18 said:

You guys excited about Europa

We ain't finishing 3rd in the group my friend. We're finishing last.
Showstopper
AG
Well… that was… something.
Thunder18
AG
60 million for Onana
Dre_00
Anyway, my operating theory is that ETH thinks that last season's relative success bought him more grace and patience than it actually did. I think he proved last season that he could be pragmatic and ditch his preferred style of play if it didn't suit his players. Then he was given a summer where he could effectively bring in his players gaining further control. And now he's trying to force his preferred style of play and he thinks he has time to implement it.

I don't think he has as much time as he thinks he does. The club is not well run. They'll make a bad decision if results are bad. I think he probably has way too much say in transfers but when everyone who is supposed to make those decisions sucks, then I can't really blame him for stepping into the void. But it's almost irrelevant at this point. If you get rid of him, you 1) stick any replacement with guys that decidedly his players and probably no one else's and 2) likely aren't going to get a better manager because the club is horribly run and no decent coach is going to want that job.

All of which convinces me that the club will absolutely terminate his contract at some point this season.
Showstopper
AG
Glazers: "Look how many views we are getting! We are upping our price to 12 billion!"
bagger05
AG
Dre_00
And not to be hyperbolic after a loss but honestly...what do you think is more likely by 2030?

1) United win the league
2) United get relegated

I honestly think 2 is more likely at this point. I don't think either are highly likely but if I had to pick one, I would say number 2. We know that the club has slowly eroded in performance over the last 10 years. We know that while there are occasional moments of small success, there has never been anything approaching a real title challenge or true success at the highest level. Every year, the team gets further and further away from greatness. The highs become less high and the lows become even lower.

There's no reason to think it will not be the same for the next 10 years. The Glazers are never selling this club. It's not happening. And eventually, at this rate, I'd actually say that by 2030 I would expect to be mid-table at best when things are good and battling relegation when things are bad. There are already at least 7 clubs who are clearly better at being a football club (on and off the pitch) than United. No doubt in my mind that 2-3 more clubs could creep above them in the next 7 years.
bagger05
AG
I know things can always get worse... neither feels probable, but I think #1 is MUCH more likely. Not like I give us a good chance of winning the league. But United's worst EVER finish is what... 7th?

We are definitely not on a positive trajectory and maybe this will end up being our worst year ever, but that is a LONG way to fall in a relatively short time.
Dre_00
Worst finish was 7th the year after the last title and the year with Moyes.

Since 2013, we have finished:

7th: 1 time
6th: 3 times
5th: 1 time
4th: 1 time
3rd: 2 times
2nd: 2 times

(Note we finished as low as 6th as recently as 2022 so it's not like we're far removed from one of our worst finishes ever)

We've finished outside the top 4 as many times as we've finished inside the top 4. This year will make it more times outside than inside. Our average position has been 4.4. In the 10 years from 2004 to 2013 (which mostly aligns with when the Glazers took control of the club), our average position was 1.7.

At that rate of decay, it's not inconceivable...and I would say it's highly likely...that the average position for the next 10 years (so 2033) would be about 7th or so. At a minimum.

But I would argue that once you slip out of the top 4 on a regular basis, the drop down the table accelerates because you don't have CL money and even though the Glazers may think their club's commercial power is infinite, it's not. We're already seeing that it's not. The club is BROKE. Add in the fact there are a lot more clubs with money, stadiums, and organizations that can compete with United...a lot more than there were 20 years ago, and I definitely think a mid table club at best who is occasionally closer to relegation than it would like is more likely in 2030 than a championship.
Showstopper
AG
I'm not saying we should be crawling on our hands and knees begging David de Gea to please come back, but..

We should be crawling on our hands and knees begging David de Gea to please come back.
LarryDavid
Think we might have found our number 9 some positive from todays game.
BJM1781
AG
Thank God for that. It's the only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope right now.

On the positive side, I can probably cancel my Peacock subscription soon.
Dre_00
LarryDavid said:

Think we might have found our number 9 some positive from todays game.

It's ironic that for so long, the consensus was that a 9 was the only thing holding the team back from progressing. Now we have one, and everyone else decided to turn into a turd.
Dre_00
Evans and Maguire start at CB. Lindelof at LB.

We have 3 recognized LBs on our roster and we're still stuck with starting Lindelof at LB in the beginning of October. Injuries of course don't explain everything but it is kind of absurd how many injuries this team has.
Showstopper
AG
And we get the defensive partnership of Maguire and Evans. Fun.
Showstopper
AG
That was brutal. We are so bad.
Furlock Bones
AG
Glazeholes losing again
Dre_00
That was three horrible plays in one. You expect it from Maguire and from a Lindelof playing way out of position but Casemiro's decline has been significant.
Showstopper
AG
Onana didn't do a whole lot to save it either. We are just broken right now.
Dre_00
Yeah and it's not looking likely they'll be fixed anytime soon. They don't seem capable of getting themselves out of this. If some players return in January (Lisandro, Shaw, etc.) then maybe that will do it. But if these players haven't done it by now, then they are likely not going to. It's only going to get harder.
Thunder18
AG
Get the damn ball on frame!
Thunder18
AG
McTominay comes on and potentially saves the point late
Thunder18
AG
McTominay with a late brace to absolutely STEAL this game
Showstopper
AG
So who had Mctominay with the extra time brace? Wow.
Dre_00
I absolutely love that for Scott. And for me. But also for him. What an insane ending.
Texagsubscriber
Needed that win!
NATTY OR BUST. BUST IT IS.

GIVE ME NATTY, OR GIVE ME BAS!!!
planoaggie123
AG
Wow. What a win. 90+ minutes of pure disappointment with massive bail out from McTominay continuing the form he showed with Scotland as of late…
Dre_00
Also worth noting that it was Maguire who won the header off that 50 yard free kick and placed it perfectly for Scott. Gotta give the man credit when it is due.
Showstopper
AG
Qatar giving up (likely) per Fabrizio.
Dre_00
On the bright side, I don't have to try and rationalize Qatari ownership. I did hear a rumor that Ratcliffe approached the Glazers with a minority offer. If true, I'm sure they'll jump on that and everyone gets what they want except the fans.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.