Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

79,016 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by Thunder18
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oliver had a really good match until that last minute.

He got the throw direction wrong. Just give the yellow for dissent and ignore the rest.
Mathguy64
AG
boogieman said:

Feel like we stole a point there.

Oh there's no doubt that's a stolen point. That's the crime of the century.
planoaggie123
AG
Watched late. Oliver way too sensitive with Dalot. Forgot his big boy pants?
Dre_00
Reading some of the post game comments and I have to laugh at Liverpool. They are the embodiment of their manager and that is mostly a good thing for them because he's an excellent manager who has done fantastic things with that team.

Buy my god do they whine...ALL. THE. TIME. At anyone and everyone. FA is against them. VAR and refs are too. And if they dominate a game and lose it's somehow the opponents fault for not playing "properly". And that comes straight from the their manager.

I mean we were horrible and you took approximately 501 shots during the game and STILL didn't win so...maybe take a look in the mirror Virgil?
jeffk
AG
We could be more annoying or pretentious or dickish if that's more preferable.

But really, Van Dijk was obviously frustrated with the result and so were 100% of the fans watching the game. He probably should have just said that. United did exactly what they set out to do and hats off to them for executing. I was definitely hoping for three points, but we weren't near sharp enough. Scoring no goals from almost 3 xG is pretty bad.
Dre_00
Wait, you mean there's another higher level that you are capable of? How is that possible?

I mean at the end of the day, I get it. He's not doing anything foreign or unusual. It just seems to occur more frequently within that club culture than in most others. Could be my bias. Could even argue that there are some legitimate reasons for that culture that started well before Klopp arrived.
jeffk
AG
There's absolutely always a higher setting to how annoying we can be!

But I do think there's several things working together towards making JK seem like more of a whiner than he probably really is. One is longevity. He's been around for a really long tenure by modern league standards. So even when he's quiet about an issue, there's still soundbites from years previous that get pulled out by pundits for discussion's sake. He's been pretty successful at Liverpool, which makes him a target for some bitterness even when he's right about something. Last is probably just being German? He speaks really highly of other team's players and managers a vast majority of them time and then every once in a while he'll say something blunt or accusatory or critical. Anyway, I get why he's no everyone's favorite manager and also why I see all he does through some red-tinted glasses, so I'm not sure why I'm advocating for him here other than I like the conversation so yeah.

I do think it's kind of funny the massive degree to which the media and internet fandom has racheted up a controversy out of a couple quick sentences.

I will definitely concede that JK is a ***** on the sidelines to officials and opponents. There's no way to talk around that.
Dre_00
Eriksen is back in training.
BJM1781
AG
Let the winning streak commence!
Mathguy64
AG
Now get Mount, Maguire (I can't believe I am typing that), Lindelof, Martinez, Martial, a mentally fit Rashford and an apologetic Sancho back and everything will be fixed.
Dre_00
Furlock Bones
AG
there's rumors on twixer that the partial sell to Ineos is starting to unravel. this is my shocked face.
Dre_00
Was waiting for this. It has been "imminent" for months.
Showstopper
AG
It's completely surprising and uncharacteristic that something involving the Glazers would be long, tortuous, and drawn out. I'm shocked.

That said, they need money. And they don't like spending their own. And it's not because Old Trafford is leaking like people on the internet think, I don't think they care about that so long as it isn't shut down they will sell out. The problem is the club isn't profitable and they are getting real close to negative equity on the balance sheet (I don't know if you guys noticed, but they did delay the most recent annual financials a month from when they normally come out, and they did lose money although not enough to put them upside down yet in the balance sheet). If you noticed, the reports had Sir Jim both buying shares and injecting equity into the club, which would improve the balance sheet. Basically, if you assume they won't spend their own money (a pretty safe assumption) they either need to do a deal with Sir Jim or go crawling back to Qatar; I don't think doing nothing is really viable longer than a year or two. Plus… we aren't getting Champion's League next year, so next year will probably be a lot worse financially.

Edit: I say we aren't getting Champions League… we aren't there right now, we are supposedly planning to do nothing in January, and most of the teams at the top appear to be planning on doing more than getting nothing. So, you know, never say never, but… at minimum it's looking bad, right?
Dre_00
I wonder if the issue is Ratcliffe owning Nice as well. Last I heard, UEFA wasn't budging on the whole "can't have two teams from the same owner in the same UEFA competition". Which means that if Ratcliffe purchases a portion of United, the CL spot between Nice and United (if both qualified for it) would go to the team that finishes higher in the table.

Nice is currently 2nd so...yeah.

(And for some reason, the team that didn't make CL would have to drop down to the Conference League for reasons I didn't fully understand)

Anyway, point is I could see that throwing a wrench in things. Mostly a moot point for this season, but in theory, it will be relevant (or you hope it is) at some point.
Mathguy64
AG
They drop to Conference league to avoid one playing in EL and the other finishing a CL group in 3rd place and parachuting into EL. Or so I assume.
gougler08
AG
The united attack makes a Jimbo offense look good
Thunder18
AG
This team is ****ing DIRE
Dre_00
Aren't they getting rid of that with the new format next season?
Dre_00
Oh and we still suck so...yay.
Furlock Bones
AG
I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you.

Glazeholed again.
planoaggie123
AG
....ETH is still employed...????
Dre_00
No chance of being fired before Radcliffe situation is finalized one way or another (IMO). Person making the decision today might not even be with the club tomorrow.
Mathguy64
AG
ESPN is reporting that the 25% ownership buying by Ratcliffe is expected to be announced as finalized today.
Dre_00
Oddly I didn't see anything on the United website referencing the sale but INEOS has confirmed the partial sale (pending league approval)

https://www.ineos.com/news/ineos-group/manchester-united-plc-reaches-agreement-for-sir-jim-ratcliffe-chairman-of-ineos-to-acquire-up-to-a-25-shareholding-in-the-company/

I would say that ETH is officially on the clock. Ratcliffe will axe him by end of the season if they are still doing...whatever it is they are doing. Might even do it sooner.
Mathguy64
AG
Sadly, he's doing what he can with a disaster of a player list. Between the injuries, horrid play of some (Marcus Rashford I'm looking at you), idiocy and petulance by some (Jaden Sancho I'm looking at you) and just plain poor players who just cannot play soccer (Antony I'm looking at you) I don't know what anyone expects other than what you see. This roster is horribly constructed. It's put together on a whim with no thought of overall strategy and is probably 3 times more expensive than it should be.

Sacking EtH won't change any of that.
Dre_00
It won't but that's not why he is at risk of being sacked. Ratcliffe and his team will need to assess if ETH is the man to manage the team going forward. And while I think ETH is far from the biggest culprit in United's incompetence, it will be hard to argue against a decision to sack him if/when it comes. ETH played a very significant role in constructing the horribly constructed roster. And even if injuries and underperformance have been prevalent, it's hard to say he would be blameless were the team to finish 8th with a negative GD.

I think ETH has proven he can be a very good manager if he works in the right organization…which he clearly hasn't worked in at United. But I would understand if he was never afforded that opportunity.
planoaggie123
AG
Happy Boxing Day! Going to enjoy the lineup of matches today. Too cold to get out and do anything productive. Might even suffer through the Manchester United fixture. Hope everyone had a good Christmas.
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00 said:

Oddly I didn't see anything on the United website referencing the sale but INEOS has confirmed the partial sale (pending league approval)

https://www.ineos.com/news/ineos-group/manchester-united-plc-reaches-agreement-for-sir-jim-ratcliffe-chairman-of-ineos-to-acquire-up-to-a-25-shareholding-in-the-company/

I would say that ETH is officially on the clock. Ratcliffe will axe him by end of the season if they are still doing...whatever it is they are doing. Might even do it sooner.
I was actually surprised this went through. The biggest issue with Ratcliffe is I do not believe he has the finances to make the necessary improvements to the facilities. (plus the glazeholes are still involved).

But, I really hope he at least changes the attitude at the club. Ship off a number of players that have been there for multiple managers and have contributed largely nothing.
Showstopper
AG
Onana again…
Mathguy64
AG
That's incompetent defending.
Mathguy64
AG
More incompetent defending.
Showstopper
AG
Ok so silver lining time… out of everyone that could win the league, Villa are the least bad alternative by a mile.
Thunder18
AG
I keep thinking things can't get any worse...
Mathguy64
AG
Rashford in form has 2 goals. Rashford in a funk gets nothing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.