Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

75,767 Views | 1831 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by Showstopper
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How did he injury his groin sitting on the bench?

I'll be interested to see where he lands and how he does after he leaves United. He turns 29 this year. This is probably his last chance at a big contract though I have no idea who would be dumb enough to give him one after the last couple seasons he's had. Other than United of course but presumably, that scam has already been run.
planoaggie123
AG
Maybe he will go to Inter with some other former Manchester United players.

I have to assume a Serie A or Ligue 1 team would roll the dice and maybe a lower profile club he could get his head back on straight...but the injuries are tough to overlook...
Thunder18
AG
Blowing a 2 goal lead away to a cigarette brand
Dre_00
Man was I wrong about ETH. That first season had me fooled. He can blame a lot of things on the Glazers but there's a lot about this season that falls squarely on him and only on him.

Less than 5% chance he's managing United in August. The only reason why he might last the season is that I doubt any of the available managers are "the guy" for Ratcliffe and Co.
agdoc2001
AG
Thunder18 said:

Blowing a 2 goal lead away to a cigarette brand

Yeah, but they ARE menthols to be fair.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Showstopper
AG
I don't know, I kind of expect him to do really well at his next job.

I have a friend who was going through his third divorce, and he said, "You know, I don't know if I like them crazy or if I make them crazy." I feel a little like that right now.
Showstopper
AG
Easy win never in doubt. Antony MOTM?

(PS yeah I still dislike Antony if the sarcasm isn't clear. I can explain away a lot of ETH's choices, but… what was it, 80M pounds plus add ons for Antony? Something like that? Lot of money for a winger who can barely us his right foot.)

Edit: and I know Antony's goal today was right foot. Before someone points it out. Body of work.
Dre_00
I wouldn't be surprised if he did. He's already done really well at a club that wasn't dysfunctional.

But United's dysfunctional nature doesn't absolve him of this team's performance for the last 6 months. The club is dysfunctional. The roster has holes. It is not an 8th place roster that finishes bottom of the CL group and struggles against a League 2 club. He can't blame that on the Glazers.
Dre_00
Pellistri moves to Granada on loan till the end of the season. No option to buy but Granada are covering his salary in full and paying a fee (probably a tiny fee I'm guessing).

I would guess that means we could see Diallo play a lot more...maybe even Omari Forson if he and United can come to terms on his future and a new contract.
Dre_00
Isak Hansen-Aaroen is off to Werder Bremen. United couldn't agree to a new contract with him so they are selling now instead of letting him leave on a free (with some limited compensation) in the summer.

Hopefully it includes some sort of sell on clause and/or buyback clause. If you don't think you can agree to a contract and get sell him for slightly more along with one or both of those clauses, then it's a smart idea.

ETA: Athletic reporting that the deal "features add-on clauses, including a sell-on fee."

Basically he wanted a lot more playing time, but Mainoo is better and Mount's arrival pretty much blocked any chance for him to get the playing time he wanted.
Dre_00
2 goals scored against Wolves? In the first 25 minutes? That's more than we've scored against them in the last 5 years (seemingly).

This team is so inconsistent, I wouldn't be surprised to lose 3-2 but I will say this. With Mainoo's ascent, this is probably the best 11 that ETH could ever hope to field. And I think it's the first time he's actually been able to do so.
Dre_00
2 goals scored. 2 goals (rightly) disallowed in extra time alone.

I've been hurt before. I won't let you hurt me again. Not this time.
Dre_00
3-3.

I'm a prophet. Should have bet money on it.
Aston94
AG
Another game where ETH cannot set up a team to hold a lead.
Dre_00
MAINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
Showstopper
AG
My heart can't take this game…
Aston94
AG
Crazy game. Somehow, someway we got all 3 points.

I really don't think ETH knows how to sit on a lead.
Dre_00
Build him a statue. Write him a song. Sign him to a 10 year contract tomorrow. Mainoo is special.

That goal...nutmeg, carry, curled perfectly into the far corner. FROM AN 18 YEAR OLD CENTRAL MIDFIELDER
Thunder18
AG
Every time we have a lead he wants to turtle up defensively and it costs us every damn time. It's like the prevent defense in football, so frustrating to watch. Thank God for Mainoo
Showstopper
AG
That took about a year off my life. Felt like it should have been any easy win, but I guess we don't do those.
Dre_00
I've rewatched that goal 10 times already and each time it gets better. He actually beat two defenders with the dribble (one of them nutmegged) and then carried the ball into space before placing a perfectly curled shot into the far corner from 18 yards out.

It's the kind of goal that you would expect Ronaldo or (insert elite skill payer here) to score. This kid is meant to be the deep playing mid. He has no business scoring a goal like that. None. And then to do it in the 97th minute to win a game that it looked like had been thrown away? To have the stones to do that when you've been sucker punched by 2 goals in 10 minutes and blew a 2 goal lead?

Nah man, that's not natural. This kid is absurd.
PatAg
AG
Sick goal...sicker celebration?
oh no
AG
oh no
AG
Furlock Bones
AG
Hojlund scores basically on his own. A decade since Sir Alex left and 1/2 dozen different managers, I still don't know what United's strategy is. Not clinical. No flare. No brute force. Still just a collection of players.
Dre_00
Defended pretty well (Maguire and Martinez especially). Pressed pretty well. Hojlund took his goal well (two good step ups, the last by Casemiro, set up that chance.

But I'm sure a completely different performance will show up in the 2nd half.
Dre_00
Martinez brings so much to this team.

And now he's probably going to miss significant time. Again.
Dre_00
McTominay for Mainoo in the 65th minute was sub-optimal (though I can understand that the 18 year old needs to be managed) but it was doubly so when Martinez went out.
Showstopper
AG
Hard to tell. Could just have been a strain or a sprain. I think he should have been taken off though rather than left on. (Re Martinez)
Mathguy64
AG
Brilliant move bringing on McT to manage that assist.
Dre_00
I'm sure he insisted upon going back but agree the physio should have said no. Full weight of Coufal fell on his knee while his leg was planted. I'm not optimistic but hope I'm wrong. He's arguably our most important player (IMO).
Dre_00
United have done a very good job of pressing at the exact moment a player receives the ball when they have absolutely no time to get it under control. 1st and 3rd goals came directly from Casemiro and McTominay doing that.
Aston94
AG
Casemiro drives me crazy sometimes and he is so slow, but then he steps up like that and creates a turnover for a goal and you see what a brilliant player he really is.
Dre_00
Well...that was a pretty good performance. Still not terribly confident in this team but it's something.

Away to Villa next week is huge. Maybe don't have to win but can't lose. Loss would put United 11 points out of 4th with 14 games left.
Showstopper
AG
I'm sure he did want to stay on, but if there's one thing we should have learned by now it is that Martinez always says he is fine, whether it's true or not.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.