Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

75,766 Views | 1831 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by Showstopper
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
chaos ball is in full effect.
Dre_00
Should sell him this summer regardless. If Saudi comes calling with 50+, I sell. The problem for Bruno is that if he wants to compete for big trophies in Europe, I'm not sure there are going to be many suitors after this season. The stench of this season is going to drop everyone's interest in players with his profile.
Dre_00
I find it hilarious that Sheffield United are timewasting so much. You're going down. You're tied at OT. You're unlikely to play here again anytime soon and when you do, you likely won't have a better chance to get 3 points than you do now. Go for the win you pansies. Stop time wasting.
Furlock Bones
AG
Bruno!!!!!! What a strike!
Dre_00
OK, maybe sell him for 60 million minimum now.
Furlock Bones
AG
I disagree. I think several champions league squads would want him.
Thunder18
AG
Bruno smoked that with his weak foot. It's a shame so many of our other players are completely reliant on their dominant foot
Dre_00
Perhaps. I don't think any of the CL squads in England would. Maybe Italy though.
Showstopper
AG
Yeah we should still sell him but up the price. lol. (BTW, I love Bruno, but he's not likely to still be good by the time we are good again, which probably isn't next year unless your definition of good is fighting for the last Champions League slot, which might be us).
Mathguy64
AG
Are we allowed to score goals while ahead?
Furlock Bones
AG
Yea that's the issue. We are too far from being good again. His entire career will be waste if stays.

And he is the architect of another goal.
Showstopper
AG
Price going up by the minute!
Dre_00
I figured out what the problem was. We only started scoring when we embraced chaos ball. We have to just accept that's who we are. No one succeeds or find happiness when they try to escape their true self. For better or for worse, we are chaos ball and chaos ball is us. Just let it happen and live with the fate that she brings you.
Dre_00
Ethan Wheatley, he of the hat trick against the Liverpool U-18s in United's 9-1 win this season, becomes United's 250th academy player to graduate to a first team appearance.
Furlock Bones
AG
another dominant performance.
Dre_00
POSITIVE GOAL DIFFERENTIAL CLAXON
Showstopper
AG
We specialize in easy, no doubt wins.
Thunder18
AG
Feels so weird and gross to be hoping Arsenal don't blow this and hand man-dhabi another title
gougler08
AG
Thunder18 said:

Feels so weird and gross to be hoping Arsenal don't blow this and hand man-dhabi another title

City still controls their destiny
Dre_00
Didn't mention this last night but you could absolutely tell Bruno was trying to get this kid a debut goal. Bruno gets a lot of crap (deservedly so...he is legitimately a petulant whiner and his high potential/low probability style of play can be a massive detriment) but stuff like this reminds you of why people put up with him. Characteristics like this are why he gets considered for captaincy.

Furlock Bones
AG
Ralf Ragnick the favorite to take over Bayern. Will be very interesting. Slagged off by the English media relentlessly. Told everyone the truth they didn't want to hear. Instead of listening, the top brass shut their ears and many players quit. Just like they had quit on multiple managers before and have continued to quit under EtH.
Furlock Bones
AG

Dre_00
Ok, maybe we should raise that asking price to 75 million

https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-most-chances-created-feature
Showstopper
AG
Bear in mind the old chestnut about lies, damn lies, and statistics. Bruno is one of our best players, but there is a bit of inflation due to Bruno distributing to the wings and some of our wingers tending to take really poor shots, which count as chance creations.
Dre_00
OK, but even if 20% of the chances he created came from that (at 20% seems like an exceptionally high number), he'd still be in the top 6 or 8 (depending on if you look at absolute chances created or chances/game). Point is, we'd be effed without him...even if some of his qualities actually encourage rather than deter chaos ball.
Furlock Bones
AG
Rashford whining on social media in the middle of the night. Get him out of the club.

Showstopper
AG
Dre_00 said:

OK, but even if 20% of the chances he created came from that (at 20% seems like an exceptionally high number), he'd still be in the top 6 or 8 (depending on if you look at absolute chances created or chances/game). Point is, we'd be effed without him...even if some of his qualities actually encourage rather than deter chaos ball.
I don't know what our shot numbers look like, but I actually think 20% coming from the wings is conservative; Rashford and Antony take a lot of bad shots. They are both kind of black holes for the ball unfortunately. (Garnacho isn't exactly shy about shooting either, to be fair).
Showstopper
AG
Yeah so we've taken 467 shots in the Premier League; highest number taken is Bruno, actually, at 84. Bruno obviously isn't passing to himself, so if you take those out, you have 383 shots with the biggest numbers as follows:

Garnacho - 80
Rashford - 59
Mctominay - 37
Hojlund - 34
Antony - 33
Casemiro - 30
Dalot - 26
Maguire - 20
Eriksen - 11

Basically, long story short, about half our non-Bruno shots come from the wingers.

(It's funny I blame Antony first, but in fairness his on target percentage is way under everyone else on the list beside Casemiro and Maguire, who are defenders; but then I guess Antony is kind of our "defensive winger" to the extent that's even a thing, which basically means he runs back, Garnacho runs back some, and Rashford jogs to midfield).
Dre_00
I meant if 20% of his chances came specifically from bad winger shots. Certainly not all winger shots are bad winger shots...however one would quantify that.
Showstopper
AG
Yeah based on the number of shots I've said "What are you doing!?!?" to the TV, I would say our wings are still quite high. Hojlund and Mctominay aren't taking lots of dumb shots; in fact Hojlund could be more selfish, but he so rarely even gets the opportunity. Casemiro seems a bit wasteful at times. Despite his low shot on target percentage, I don't recalll being mad at many of Maguire's shots.
Mathguy64
AG
So City would have had a 2-0 lead on 2 PKs by now.
Showstopper
AG
Ref is here to watch the game and get paid for it.
Furlock Bones
AG
Mathguy64 said:

So City would have had a 2-0 lead on 2 PKs by now.

It's amazing how effective the whining was from other teams. For the last couple of years we can't buy a penalty. But they are given freely against us.
Mathguy64
AG
Garnacho is talented to no end and you can't score if you don't shoot but if he would pick his head up every now and then he would see Rasmus open more often than not.
Showstopper
AG
In reference to the earlier topic… AWB had a chance there that Bruno won't get credit for because AWB had trouble finding the white round thing placed directly in front of him

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.