Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

264,338 Views | 1867 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by jagvocate
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
oklaunion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Regarding the francs, there are a finite number of these available since they were made more than a century ago. Dealers who bought them when gold was $200 higher may be pulling them from their sites as they will take a hit on price. (I love roosters).

With premiums at 5% or greater, yes, you will automatically be in the hole if you decide to quickly let them go. Kind of like buying a new car. Same with silver but it can rebound (percentage-wise) more quickly. Buy at 18 and sell at 23 and you will have a 27% return. That type of growth happens a couple of times a year and I know guys who make a living doing it and aren't storefront dealers.

The premium increase is what has changed over the past 15 or so years. ASEs used to have a $2.50 markup over spot at APMEX and other bone fide dealers. And that was when silver was at $14 back around 2009. Hardly anyone wanted junk silver (pre-65 coinage) and you could get it on several internet PM forums for spot or maybe a bit less if someone wanted out of the junk game. Canadian 80% the same.

In 2020, right after the lockdown, silver plunged one Sunday night down to $12 and many dealers had semi-low premiums in place. Since their prices were automated on the sites to respond to spot price, ASEs and the like were available for $15-17 each for a few hours until they adjusted their premiums. I know 2 guys who maxed out several cards that night. Premiums skyrocketed so the dealers wouldn't lose their butts and haven't come down.

ASE premiums are now at 50-70%. Some of the generics are still high also but lately I have seen $2.49 premiums on Buffaloes and the like. Still over 10% but hard to beat unless you get a sweetheart deal on a PM forum.

There is usually at least one table at a gun show that handles silver and gold and sometimes you can get a deal there. At the last Bryan, TX show (there is one there today and tomorrow FWIW) a guy was buying at $2 over spot and selling at $4.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I was super happy getting under 25x like ten minutes ago and nothing fundamentally changed for me personally, so junk is on sale, right?
topher06
Do you guys ever actually sell any of this stuff, or just always add to your position? I've already stated my goal is to Scrooge McDuck gold coins, so I won't be competition for a long time as I have more noble purposes than you guys and won't be selling for a very long time (I'm up to 2 coins, one I bought and one was given to me).
lobopride
In my simple brain I thought as inflation increases silver and gold prices will naturally increase as well. Obviously it is more complicated than that. I do see that both governments and corporations don't want to see high metals prices for various reasons. They'll do whatever they can to keep prices low for as long as they can.
Outdoorag011
Over the last 2 years I have been liquidating a lot of my collector pieces that skyrocketed in value. I only add to my position when it comes to actual silver/gold bullion. For me it is a 40-60 year plan. It will be part of my retirement and some of it will never be sold, just passed down through the generations.
Post removed:
by user
maddiedou
AG
I do not sale and I buy alot but be very careful buying coins that are not graded by pcgs or ngc

Now you can buy coins for silver/gold value and that will keep you from losing alot of money like I have in the past
topher06
Silver up $1 in the last 24 hours.
Txhuntr
AG
SD bullion selling a 1 oz round celebrating their 10 year anniversary at spot price
jagvocate
AG
Do you know how much silver will be needed for a green economy (EVs, Solar Panels, etc.?). Hint: tons

jagvocate
AG
When this thread goes really quiet is usually a good time to buy

Silver below $20/oz-t today and quiet as a church mouse

Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
FAT SEXY said:

I'm wondering how much more room there is to fall in regards to Gold and Silver.. maybe we are about to trade sideways in this channel for awhile.

Until the market figures out that the Fed isn't serious about fighting inflation.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Aggiemike96
AG
Sub-$18.00 per ounce silver spot? Geez. Payday was today, too. Hmmm.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
oklaunion
One thing a couple of companies (incl Bold) have done recently is advertise their lowest price that now is applicable to 1500+ pieces. In the case of 1 oz silver, it used to be 500.
topher06
Too bad American Eagles are still priced at same absurdly high spot markup.
Post removed:
by user
AggieMainland
cant wait to buy goal at 1300 again soon
Post removed:
by user
topher06
Decent day for gold, great day for silver. Hopefully we can get a streak of these.
Outdoorag011
With everything going on in the world present day and what we "think" the future will look like… I've never been more excited to own gold and silver. So much is happening that makes the longterm play look amazing.
Aggiemike96
AG
Silver on the move this morning!
Buck Turgidson
What caused Gold to drop $60/ounce over the past three days?! Just looked at this site and spot was $1,660:
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=XAU&to=USD
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Inflation numbers higher than expected and still continuing to increase means the Fed will continue to raise interest rates and the dollar will strengthen compared to other currencies. That makes the price of metals, priced in dollars, fall.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Buck Turgidson
Red Pear Realty said:

Inflation numbers higher than expected and still continuing to increase means the Fed will continue to raise interest rates and the dollar will strengthen compared to other currencies. That makes the price of metals, priced in dollars, fall.
Well I certainly expect more rate hikes to come. My target was buy gold if spot got to $1,625/ounce. Now I'm wondering if that should be lower.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I take the same approach with metals and real estate. No need to try and time the bottom...just buy at regular intervals and over time it works out well.
topher06
Red Pear Realty said:

I take the same approach with metals and real estate. No need to try and time the bottom...just buy at regular intervals and over time it works out well.
Agree, but I'm definitely buying more heavily right now. Can't imagine prices stay like this for long (even though silver has already recovered some).
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.