Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

258,299 Views | 1827 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by Red Pear Realty
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is a Houston USPS distro center that is crazy backed up - ive got 30oz of silver eagles i ordered from Walmart just sitting around over there for the better part of 2 weeks now, its pissing me off.
Captain Winky
Same. I have my first oz of gold and 20 ozs of silver just sitting there. Super frustrating just watching the status update to in transit to next facility every night.
LMCane
I'm just going to go downtown and buy directly from the US Mint my next day off
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Please post pics of the process when you do!
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
AgEng06
AG
LMCane said:

I'm just going to go downtown and buy directly from the US Mint my next day off
Good luck. Maybe you know something/someone that us normal people don't...

Quote:

The Mint does not sell bullion coins directly to the public. Instead, the Mint distributes the coins through a network of official distributors called "authorized purchasers". Authorized purchasers create a two-way market buying and selling to wholesalers, financial institutions, and other secondary retailers.
https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-and-medal-programs/precious-metal-coins
Aggiemike96
AG
jetch17 said:

There is a Houston USPS distro center that is crazy backed up - ive got 30oz of silver eagles i ordered from Walmart just sitting around over there for the better part of 2 weeks now, its pissing me off.

I had this happen with a Lunar coin a few weeks ago. I filed a lost package claim and, low and behold, it showed up 48 hours later.

There's some drama with this coin too. Capsule was busted upon arrival. Perth won't sell me a replacement, and ApMex taking their sweet time addressing the issue.
techno-ag
AG
https://www.wsj.com/finance/investing/costco-gold-bars-ff8e60d5

Summary: Even with a 2/customer limit, Costco sold $100 million in gold bars last quarter. Prices may be above or below spot. 2% cash back means a $2000 bar nets the member $40 in credit at the store. Plus credit card rewards. Plus free shipping and no CC fees.

It's a traffic driver more than a profit center. High quality PAMP bar is very trusted.

Cons: under spot to sell it, can't return gold to Costco, must report cap gains on gold, got to store it somewhere. ETFs better for many investors but not in the zombie apocalypse.
joekm3
AG
I recommend developing relationships with local dealers buying with the opportunity to sell if necessary. Right now, my gun safe doubles as my precious metals vault.
jagvocate
AG
I'll count it as a loss if I ever have to sell my silver or gold to a local dealer. I plan on holding until regular people desire it enough that we can do land for gold / animal for silver type transactions. Of course everyone's mileage will differ
Captain Winky
FYI - I submitted a lost package claim last night for my gold coin and lo and behold this morning I got a notification that it is out for delivery today. I will submit claims on my other two orders and see it if frees them up.
jetch17
AG
Captain Winky said:

FYI - I submitted a lost package claim last night for my gold coin and lo and behold this morning I got a notification that it is out for delivery today. I will submit claims on my other two orders and see it if frees them up.
thats nice to know - was that thru USPS site? Thinking i may do the same.
Captain Winky
Yup. I think it was technically a help request form. Here's the link:

https://usps.my.site.com/emailus/s/
drmwvr
AG
Cats out of the bag
techno-ag
AG
Read my summary of that article four posts up.
drmwvr
AG
techno-ag said:

Read my summary of that article four posts up.

Oops, missed that somehow!
techno-ag
AG
NP.
topher06
That $15 rebate offer through Chase did work, in case anyone has it available. Decent discount for 20 silver eagles.
idAg09
$15 Chase offer also worked for me. Still waiting on the Silver Eagles though.

USPS was supposed to deliver Saturday and has been transferring around facilities in Houston for almost a week (after updating to say its coming early Friday). Says out for delivery so hopefully receive today.
Captain Winky
If possible, be by the door in case they come by. I heard the mail guy rummaging in the mailbox and I went out to find a note saying they missed me and would try to deliver again. The guy never knocked or rang the doorbell. Luckily, he had another stop a couple of houses down the street so I flagged him down and got my gold.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I just did the $15 cash back Walmart.com offer as well.

Nice tip.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Aggiemike96
AG
PO Box FTW.
jetch17
AG
Captain Winky said:

Yup. I think it was technically a help request form. Here's the link:

https://usps.my.site.com/emailus/s/

Worked great - silver eagles arrived today
TheVarian
AG
jagvocate
AG
Really pleased with these Scottsdale Mint rounds

Cowman1
Those are cool!
idAg09
Costco has 20 - 1oz American Eagle silver for $520

https://www.costco.com/.product.1789494.html?&ADBUTLERID=homepage_banner_silver

Picked one up and think I get 4% cash back with executive membership
idAg09
Captain Winky said:

If possible, be by the door in case they come by. I heard the mail guy rummaging in the mailbox and I went out to find a note saying they missed me and would try to deliver again. The guy never knocked or rang the doorbell. Luckily, he had another stop a couple of houses down the street so I flagged him down and got my gold.

They left in my mailbox around 5:30pm
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
That's a solid deal.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
TXAggie4Christ
AG
idAg09 said:

Costco has 20 - 1oz American Eagle silver for $520

https://www.costco.com/.product.1789494.html?&ADBUTLERID=homepage_banner_silver

Picked one up and think I get 4% cash back with executive membership

Went online last night to try and pick up a stack of these 20 and they say "out of stock". You savvy texagsers must have beat me there!

Appreciate this thread though. Encouraged me to diversity a bit just starting with silver eagles and some 1/10 and 1/4 oz gold for now as budget allows.
jagvocate
AG
That was a great price at Costco. Walmart.com was only $10 more for 20oz last I checked
maddiedou
AG
I bought these about 7-10 years ago I have never really looked up a price but I am pretty sure they will be collectibles eventually because they have a date and serial number on back

I thought I would share. And I just read all the writings on yhe silver They started in 74 about the extenction of animals and pollution
maddiedou
TXAggie4Christ
AG
Like that Christmas one.
maddiedou
AG
maddiedou
ChiefKiefton
maddiedou said:

I bought these about 7-10 years ago I have never really looked up a price but I am pretty sure they will be collectibles eventually because they have a date and serial number on back

I thought I would share. And I just read all the writings on yhe silver They started in 74 about the extenction of animals and pollution

Those are awesome! Probably hold some numismatic value.
Cowman1
Do you want to sell any of them?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.