Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

249,191 Views | 1760 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Red Pear Realty
Outdoorag011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
133 ASE!
Snake Jazz
I've been following this thread for a while, waiting on the sale of a property that would allow me to purchase some gold/silver. Well, that time FINALLY appears to be here, so:

Is the Wal-Mart credit card still a good thing? My understanding from a while ago was that the Wal-Mart card allowed cheaper purchases. Is this true? Are there any other similar places where it would good to buy gold or silver from?
AggieT
AG
Walmart card is still a good deal. For whatever reason, they set the limits low on the card (~$2,000) so it limits buying gold right now. Which reminds me, I need to request an increase.

Costco has great deals on Pamp bars. I've bought both the 1 oz and the 25x 1 gram sheets. If you already have the Costco executive membership, you get 2% back, plus you can use a credit card for additional points.

Either way, you can generally buy gold at less than spot.

Keep in mind that both gold and silver are expensive right now, and the prices are trending down.
jagvocate
AG
I don't use the Walmart card but Walmart.com, for ASEs, has been consistently 1-2% cheaper than SD Bullion and 4-5% cheaper than APMEX (which is weird because APMEX is one of Walmart's suppliers)

Snake Jazz
AggieT said:

Keep in mind that both gold and silver are expensive right now, and the prices are trending down.
I noticed that the price had been going up, and I wasn't sure if I should get in now because it's likely to keep gradually going up, or if I should wait a little bit to see if it comes down. Thoughts?
AggieT
AG
They fluctuate quite a bit. Gold is down about $100/oz and silver down about $2/oz over the past week or so. Both are still higher than they have been over the past year.

Dollar cost average is what most will advise.
JR Ewing
AG
Snake Jazz said:

I've been following this thread for a while, waiting on the sale of a property that would allow me to purchase some gold/silver. Well, that time FINALLY appears to be here, so:

Is the Wal-Mart credit card still a good thing? My understanding from a while ago was that the Wal-Mart card allowed cheaper purchases. Is this true? Are there any other similar places where it would good to buy gold or silver from?

If you are near Bryan College Station, David's Coin and Jewelry is pretty good for the buy side. ASEs have a $6 over spot price…
ChiefKiefton
JR Ewing said:

Snake Jazz said:

If you are near Bryan College Station, David's Coin and Jewelry is pretty good for the buy side. ASEs have a $6 over spot price…
Can't recommend David enough. Wonderful guy and store.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Two questions re: gold coins.

Any recommendations to determine FMV for a variety of gold coins?
What is your comfort purchasing gold coins that have a collector's value beyond just the price of the gold?

Over the years my father periodically purchased gold coins from a dealer in ?Philadelphia?. My mother has considered selling the coins.

My wife and I want to buy gold so we've considered buying the coins from her.

Then we could determine a price that is less than we'd pay from a dealer but more than she'd get selling to a dealer.

My only concern would be that it is likely many of the coins have a collectors value above just the price of the gold. I assume that could make it more difficult unload quickly if needed. Also the added cost of the collector's value could erase any ROI on the gold itself if the collector's market is down.

This may be moot anyway. When I mentioned this she said "I don't need the money, why don't you just wait until I die and get then they're yours anyway.."
Take the trash out staff.
aunuwyn08
AG
Spot price would be more than a dealer would give her, but less than it would cost you to buy from a dealer.

If you want to factor collector value but the coins are ungraded factor in an additional 3% for the lot.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
$1.75 over spot

https://monumentmetals.com/royal-canadian-mint-rcm-kilo-silver-bar.html
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.