Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

258,283 Views | 1827 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Red Pear Realty
mwp02ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are y'all putting a rider on your home owners policy for your stack? My provider wants an appraisal and the local coin shop here wants $250/hr to do so. Any other options?
Esteban du Plantier
AG
mwp02ag said:

Are y'all putting a rider on your home owners policy for your stack? My provider wants an appraisal and the local coin shop here wants $250/hr to do so. Any other options?

$250 an hour to put it on a scale and multiply by spot?
mwp02ag
AG
Ya, to be fair I only called the closest one to me so far.
Txhuntr
AG
mwp02ag said:

95% of mine is in a safety deposit box. $65/yr for peace of mind when I'm not home is worth it
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
What's the best place to buy about a grand worth of silver right now? Thinking I'd like some ASEs, or maybe more junk constitutional. Not opposed to bars or anything, really....
aunuwyn08
AG
I think it depends on what your goals are. Pure stacking, numismatic investing, or focus on bartering units for SHTF scenario.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Investment, probably mid to long term. Don't care about numismatic value other than as it pertains to investment quality. Just looking to see if there's any value out there. If all the houses are about the same I'll just buy some bu ases from jm
aunuwyn08
AG
I would target 10 oz bars then. You can get cheaper silver with larger bars, but then you get a liquidity issue with potential buyers.

I'm a numismatic silver investor, but it's not something I would get into if you don't love coins or want to put in the time to do the research.

That being said, I think v75 silver eagles that are ungraded are a steal around $350 if you can get them. Should appreciate a lot over the next decade.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I bet those would be a steal at 350, going rate appears to be about 530 right now!
Grabbed a roll of ASEs from sd bullion (have ordered from them before) plus some other stuff then found out Wells fargo charges $30 for a wire transfer. Oops.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Oh and in response to your shtf comment, i really like the idea of my junk 90% half dollars for that. Seems like a good denomination, non-fiat value wise. Like having a pocket full of $20 (or $50, or $100) bills, as opposed to carrying around gold coins and trying to find someone who will make change for a months salary
aunuwyn08
AG
NRD09 said:

Oh and in response to your shtf comment, i really like the idea of my junk 90% half dollars for that. Seems like a good denomination, non-fiat value wise. Like having a pocket full of $20 (or $50, or $100) bills, as opposed to carrying around gold coins and trying to find someone who will make change for a months salary

I'll be completely honest, I think all the SHTF talk is dumb. If something like that truly happens, there won't be a functioning economy to barter with - at least not the gold price that is.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
You brought it up!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Yep, the balance of my order was these
https://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-silver-round/
Post removed:
by user
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Cool thank you, that was kinda what i was asking for with my initial post. Guess i should have read the whole thread
FJB
AG
If you're a PM investor, I would think you're buying more or less regardless of what price is doing. Sure you'd pick spots, but you either believe in the fundamentals or you don't.

Its beyond obvious that the spot prices are being manipulated via bogus futures trading.
Who is John Galt?

CAPORAL
AG
What is the downside of using someone like Birch Gold to help get started with coins?
Outdoorag011
Are you wanting to buy physical and store it yourself?
CAPORAL
AG
Yes
Post removed:
by user
NastyNate
JM Bullion put some 10th anniversary silver rounds on sale today for 1.29 over spot. Great deal but the rounds are very generic and don't have any collector value. Anyone have any experience selling stuff like that back to dealers or anyone else? Am I just looking at scrap silver value here? I plan to buy and hold but want to know if I'm just wasting my time buying these.

https://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-jm-bullion-10th-anniversary-silver-round/
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I treat the generic products like that as basically raw material that doesn't have to be assayed to sell. There's a level of trust/verification involved in any ftf pm transaction, something like that would increase my comfort level as a buyer
NastyNate
Thanks! Appreciate the feedback
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Meant to add that i sold one of those jm branded 10oz bars to a dude a year or so ago, he didn't bat an eye. I don't think i showed him the order confirmation but that probably would help, would be a silly thing to counterfeit
NastyNate
Good to know. Thanks. The 10oz bars are usually my go-to but the low premiums in these caught my eye today. The super generic nature of them (phone number and website on the reverse) had me wondering if they traded easily. Doesn't sound like I'd have a problem. Lucky for me the rounds sold out before I even had the chance to buy them today. Haha. I'm expecting to see similar premiums this Black Friday like I did last black Friday so I'll just have to wait. I was able to pick up silver maple leafs for $1.49 premium.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
NastyNate said:

. Lucky for me the rounds sold out before I even had the chance to buy them today. Haha. .

Must have been a good deal!
Post removed:
by user
Esteban du Plantier
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Any folks ever browse Sterling Silverware listings? I've been tempted several times to pull triggers on a couple of eBay listings that were priced below spot.

There can be deals had here, but you run into storage issues with them as they don't stack neatly.

I've got a pretty impressive sack of sterling sitting around. I buy on eBay for under spot after shipping and taxes. You can gobble it up all day.

I'm piecing together a chemistry setup to distill nitric acid from sulfuric and then refine the sterling to .9999

Just need a heating mantle and I'll be in business.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
It's a hodgepodge of stuff from 1860's Sheffield England to 1950's USA. I don't intend to keep anything.

I've melted some into ingots to take up less space, but stopped doing that because dissolving an ingot in nitric would take way longer than silverware with higher surface area.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.