Bonfire memories

52,780 Views | 252 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TowerAg90
ShaneDogg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ABRAM, you don't know anything about LOAD!

lonearmadillo
is that Slappy weasel the one eyed load toad

lonearmadillo
abram, I lived with two skinny pale load pots, and they kicked ass

[This message has been edited by lonearmadillo (edited 11/1/2001).]
Tart
YellowPot96, it was great to read your bonfire memories. As I was reading, I could just picture myself back at stack, running tag line, and bombarding those loud-mouthed fish ( and soph.) with all the cans I could fit in the chain. I truely feel like Ags now and in the future will be missing out on one of TAMU's true traditions.

As for bonfire in the future. It will be up to future Ags to set the standard for whatever bonfire will burn. I know I'll be there to watch it.

Note to future and current Ags: It may not be old school, but if you build it, they will come!!! BTHOB!
Slappy00
ABRAM 97 The kind of crazy tan guy? He was ok, but I heard rumors of him and something called a "Digitizer"? Do you know anything about that?

mac99
Great depiction, I work with the first Non Reg Red that A&M saw, need to send this to him.

Hey Army98, Tell Obrien I said hello.
YellowPot96
A digitizer? Is that anything like an electric tree-debarker or a tree fall indicator? I think the brown pots might have one....better send a fish to find out.

“The beatings will continue until morale improves.”
DCAggie1999
I want to know what the digitizer is! You have sparked my curiosity!
SPUD99
Trust me, you do not want to know about the "Digitizer"!

Note: Abrams view and fondness of the digitizer is not shared by fellow Load Pots.
AB2
AG
The tree lean indicator was among the funniest things I ever saw at cutsite. A great excuse to get rid of that one guy you just can't stand.

Another classic: Yellow Pot Applications--3rd Floor MSC.
DCAggie1999
No, really... deadRED98? Army? Do you want to enlighten me?
YellowPot96
Spud, you male prostitute, how the heck are you?

ARMY98
I'm as confused as a baby racoon. But knowing those guys, it isn't pretty.
WALTON LOADS!
AG
hey spud. I believe I met you over the summer at Eckels St. I'm Levi's brother.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I'm gonna jump in on this a little late. Mr. Yellow Pot, thanks for the trip down memory lane. You pretty much summed up a lot of long nights over lots of beer. The thing that makes me most sad about the ending of the tradition (besides the obvious) is that our "families" are dying. I remember the old guys coming in town on Friday night and buying us beer and being idiots and then they would go out on Saturday morning and pick the biggest damn tree in our woods and drop that one when the yellow wasn't looking. And then we all got to carry it out. *******s. But those guys would be out there wearing their Moore Hall 94 jerseys and I realized that they were out there because this family was something that was important to them. I know they all had to go to work on Monday morning and I don't envy having to go into the office with blisters and aches and pains.

I wish that I could have been an old guy. I wish that I could have taped up my ring with athletic tape so I could still wear it when I was swinging (I got my ring Spring of '00). I wish that I could have been the old guy that met my boys in town on Friday night, knocked on the window of Room 101 to get someone to let us into the dorm so that we could hang out with they freshmen. (Actually I was lamenting that part dying last night when I had to pee when I was leaving Northgate). I miss getting in trouble for just being guys. I miss my lip hurting from too much "tasty". I miss getting to be guy and be dirty and crass and smelly and not caring.

I had a sad day the other day. I had to wash my hat that I wore with my grodes. I spilt transmission fluid all over it this summer and finally a couple of weeks ago I decided to wash it. When it was clean, the transmission fluid was gone, but my bathtub was BLACK from all of those days at cut and nights at stack. Kinda sad. My suspenders still have "the smell" and hopefully they always will. That's something that I hope all of y'all have to hang onto.

And I want to share something happy with y'all. One of my boys's parents bought some land outside of Navasota that they need cleared. We are having an Old Army weekend of guys. We're trying to get some old guys to come back and we are going to just cut down trees, dip snuff, and be guys. It should be good times.

Yellow Pot, thanks for the memories, and I hope that all of y'all remember what was more important than any of the stuff that we did out there, the people that we were out there with. That is why we loved the fire.

Also, Javier, aren't you the one that fell off Go Home rope? Just curious. Also, who in the grand scheme of things thought that sniff snuff was a good idea. It can't be beat for a buzz but your throat felt like crap for a week. Good memories.

ChipFTAC01
AG
On the note of Load Pots, no one could ever beat Colby. I remember a certain story about a pine tree and Rebecca Lobo (the bucktoothed girl from UCONN). And Spud, I remember one of yours involving a egg beater that made going to load not quite as big of a pain in the butt. As much as I used to hate Walton, they get some respect for putting up with that all day (although I suspect that they started working harder at the end of the day when people started coming out of the woods.)
CrackerJack
Wow. Memories just can't get any more vivid...
ABRAM 97
The digitizer shall remain a LOAD POT secret for all eternity! It is also known as the "Dr. Dre" or just the plain 'ol DRE.

Thanks for bringing that up, Spud. Appreciate it!

:P
Kivett94
AG
That post was a needed trip down memory lane. I am sitting here in Seoul, Korea with a Techie roomate, on the last year of my contract, waiting to get home. I may just have to save the above to read on my more homesick of days. Its also been nice to read posts from all these other folk that shared some of the best years of my life with me. Thanks again,

Gig'em

WALTON LOADS
YellowPot96
I have to admit, there were many divisions between Bonfire participants - CT's vs. Non-regs, CT's vs. BQ's, Northside vs. Southside, On campus vs. Off campus, Aston vs. Dunn, Coke shack vs. Cookie shack, etc. - and I was just as guilty of it as the next guy. I don't know whether it was good, clean rivalry or real dislike, but there were people and groups that I didn't necessarily like or get along with. But with that being said, there is NOTHING that I wouldn't give to be able to go back and work with ALL of those people. (yes, even the guys from Crocker, who really lived up to their names!)

CocksBonfire
Cocks Cut,
P*ssies Load
AMB99
AG
YP '96,

You know that crew chiefs built Bonfire...you just walk around bucking to the JRP's when they would run through the woods and then spend stack getting your jollies off to having your ass rubbed raw by tag line.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you've changed your alias, but were the Fur Trapper Yellow for '96?

This is the fatazz Crew Chief from FHK, and by the way your first post was awesome...I needed that.
YellowPot96
Sorry Stinky, haven't changed my alias. Haven't been on here long enough for that. I DO know that it was Crew Chiefs that built bonfire, as I was a chief in '95. The way I see it, I got demoted to Yellow! As a chief, I could have all the fun in the world, with relatively little responsibility (especially on stack). As a yellow, I was too concerned with the political stuff (and keeping my a$$ from catching fire). I had to go out on my off shifts just to touch stack. Furthermore, as far as bucking goes, I did try to buck for the 5th-year-senior Junior Climber Pot, but they wouldn't accept my application - too qualified I guess, go figure!

3B Paul 97
AG
Everyone knows that Unload was the most vital part of Bonfire.
SPUD99
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thanks Paul! We all needed a good laugh!
AB2
AG
Anyone know where I can buy some of those shoes with the big spikes?
CaliAg97
AG
Thanks. Being out here in Cali, I really miss all those guys I spent countless hours with.

BandAid
HHH crewchief '94
turtle95
YP96,
Thanks for the post, brings back many great memories.

Bandaid,
Glad you are still alive.

Turtle
HHH CC 93
Cole97
AG
man, thanks...that was awesome..brought back LOTS of memories (some that I had tried to forget )

seems we worked on some of the same Bonfires as well...thanks
LeggyGirl!
What a great post...ALOT of memories, even for a girl!!

Tracy
Legett Hall
Texas Yarddog
AG
Good Bull guys. Loved just figuring out who everyone was. Abram, Corn-nut got me with the digitizer (if i'm thinking of the right thing) he also got me to mark the diameter of the longs with a sharpie.

Me, I miss burning everything and anything we could get our hands on, sleeping in the back of the FFE's, yelling out to people 'See ya when it burns' even though they're leaving a 3am, tapping Kajones on the shoulder with a tagline full of wood when he fell asleep in a fourth stack swing, givin' each and every red pot some brownpot lovin' even when he really didn't want it, and sending fish to get skyhooks, stump vaporizers, bark scrapers, and log straighteners.

Be at the Chicken for the tu game and probably the rest of the day. Look for me there.

Good post Junior.

[This message has been edited by pesek97 (edited 11/20/2001).]
YellowPot96
Sorry Aaron. . . not Junior.

OCA

Texas Yarddog
AG
Oca Hall! Alright, email me - pesek@garrett-eng.com

I think I know who you are now. Didn't realize someone from Oca hall was writing this stuff cause it said that you remember mornings in the parking lots at cut. I only thought y'all got there in the afternoon.
YellowPot96
Yeah, yeah....

"Last in, first out, when's lunch?"

or better yet...

"Off Campus Hogs,
We drop logs,
Picnic baskets, chainsaws,
Rebels 'til lunch
We'll f*** anything....Baaaa, baaaa"

Cubby '96
ChipFTAC01,

Any room in that Navasota land-clearing weekend for an old dude with a Moore '96 jersey?

Great thread. I remember a bunch of that stuff. It's the little things, like teaching someone how to wire, or sending fish out for a #12 tree-fall sighter, or groding the dorm deads at lunch (and the ensuing revenge) that bring back the best memories. Anyone who built the fire in '92 remember the badass grode pits that the tractor paths became that one weekend? It was almost 2 feet deep with mud made from a really fine dust - it acted like cornstarch mixed with water - it was awesome.

For those of you who may know me, I was in Lechner in 92-93, Puryear 93-95 and Moore 95-98.

Cubby

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.