Bonfire memories

52,806 Views | 252 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TowerAg90
AgDotCom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Geesh......what a great post!

VERY nice work, Yellowpot96.
oldyeller
AG
Good Job, Corbin. You brought back a lot of fond memories for this ol' *******. It was all those things and much, much more about the fire that built a family out of strangers and shaped us into who we are today. Sadly the fire that the administration is proposing will not allow for any of that to be experienced by future generations of Ags.

DYG
astOn01
AHH, the DIGITIZER. I have a co-worker that was digitized last week, poor *******. Whoop on the post.
jobu93
AG
I want to kill trees. Old moore dude class of 93, and yes, I remember the grode pits of 92. very nice
Vince1998
The names on this post bring back tons of memories...including LOAD parties, yellow bathrooms (spud), late night yelling and HHH, riding a fork lift at mech load (with Abram driving at that), and all of you Walton wannabes begging for LOAD shirts. Its a shame that no one else will be able to create those types of memories at Texas Aggie Bonfire. This post just proves that Aggie Bonfire was not important because it burned.....it was important because it was built.
ChipFTAC01
AG
jobu!

Email me at x@x We are putting together a big reunion for the spring and need to get ahold of older guys and I'm too lazy to find the lists. Thanks

[This message has been edited by ChipFTAC01 (edited 3/23/2005 3:16p).]
Summer95
AG
This is great! I really miss stack most of all, especially those midnight to 6 shifts where, after 3 am, the guys would start treating me as an equal instead of just the token girl. Freezing my butt off with mud caked all over my hands.

Those days were great.
Cole97
AG
Summer, no kidding...maybe that's why midngight to 6 am was my fave shifts...the difference in how the guys treated a girl out there during daylight was LOTS different then they did during that shift...

then of course, there was always breakfast at IHOP at 6am in grodes then to the 8 o'clock class...in grodes
AB2
AG
The best thing about the girls was topless stack.
drum02
Bonfire fell when I was a sophmore but at least I got to experience the last standing Bonfire in 1998. Only people who actually worked on Bonfire trully knows the Bonfire feeling. You cannot possibly put it down in words
LOAD 2002
AG
man, I just found this old post, thought it needed to be brought back to life, for all to read, it's just a classic. I throughly enjoyed all of the memories everyone put. Everything I was a part of, every minute detail that I miss and get choked up think about was mentioned, everything from First Stack, LOAD, load parties, groding, stack, unload, cookie shack, crazy reds, insane brows, dirty load pots, perimeter poles, push, stack music, bonfire girls, dirt-water, and much much more. I built Bonfire 98 and 99 with Walton Hall. Nothing will ever make such an impact on my life like Aggie Bonfire did.

ahh the memories.

-Joey Dobbs
Walton LOADS!
bigkap2005
Im just sorry the rest of us won't know how it's like.

Brian
Class of 2005
Rebbasser
AG
Only went to the cut site one time, when I was a pisshead. My outfit stayed on campus and UNloaded the trucks you guys loaded. It was a great feeling to look a a bare bonfire field in the morning and by afternoon it was covered with logs. I remember the best time I had out at the site was during push my pisshead year. It was colder than you know what and the field was six inches deep in mud with an icy rain falling. It was so miserable it was great. We lit it the next day with the icy rain still falling and about 2 hours after it was lit it began to snow. That was so awesome. Now it is 20 years later and I am sitting at my computer looking at a picture of bonfire I have hanging on the wall and I really hope we find a way to continue this tradition. The best part of Bonfire is in the building, not the burning. I hope future generations of Ags get to find this out first hand.
jchag2002
good post,....brings back a lot of fond memories of bonfire.

deadRED98
Good Morning Ladies,
Just thought I'd drop a line. Gotta stop reading this thread, it's too cool. Great to know you guys are still alive and kicking, Load pots still suck(especially SPUD). Colby was the only decent one and I really think the Truckpot that year was the hands down better than anybody. Anybody remember? Gotta go, working down in Pasa-GET DOWN-dena and it still stinks,
Adios
Ag97Yellow94
Damn cool.

Can't believe the presence of HHH round here.

FYI, a few of us Hart people are gonna be at Kay's in Houston tonight.

-Brandon '97
Hart.
& Schlart.
ChipFTAC01
AG
This needs to make it back ttt
Oveta Builds BTHOB93
Funny I know most of the people that posted on this thread - I guess they all got a life and quit posting on TexAgs. Great post.

[This message has been edited by Oveta Builds BTHOB93 (edited 3/12/2003 9:45p).]
TIGOL97
Excellent post...I too know most of these people and only took the penny nail out of my backpack last year. I miss stack, but I'm not sure anyone could convince me to hang from a rickety swing at that height again (especially under threat of urination).

What is sad, is that I now teach at A&M and can get fired for talking about Bonfire or even suggesting that I might possibly sympathize with any group doing anything vaguely Bonfire related off-campus (still unsure on this issue). The administration is super sensitive. What is even worse imo is that I get fewer and fewer questions with each class I teach.

Neely 93, Kruger chair 94, Random 95-97.
BTHONRB
jbirdag96
AG
I was going through some old tapes of mine a couple of days ago and found footage of the '97 and '98 Aggie Bonfires. I had recorded footage before while they were putting finishing touches on the Aggie Bonfires. As I watched, I was taken back to those times. I had worked on the '95 Bonfire when I was in Dunn Hall. Just sitting here now thinking about those times puts a smile on my face and warms my heart. I pray that something returns so that future Ags can share in, what I hope will be, a similar experience.
Z Baller
I miss Bonfire all together...it fell my Senior Year of College
TAMUGodot
God I wish we still had it, it will be back. We can't give up on it.

c.o. 2005
TAMUGodot
"I don’t think I built bonfire so much as it built me."

Mind if I use that?
MosesHallRAB
jbirdag96: could you possibly get them on the internet? I would love to have a copy of the videos. Thanks
LOAD 2002
AG
man, how many times have I read this entire thread from the first post to the last, yet every single time I do I get choked up and filled with some of the best memories of my entire life. Bonfire Fell my sophmore year and I had to wait until I was a 5th yr Senior to see it burn again with Unity Project's Bonfire. That day last Fall when I got to see it burn again just added to those great memories. Nothing will ever touch my life the way Aggie Bonfire did. I put in my 4.5 years at A&M, got my degree, and moved on but the only true life lessons I learned did not come from a book, they grew out of the dirt and mud of Load Site, the hay and smell of Stack Site, and all the good ole boys that helped somehow.

Walton Loads!

[This message has been edited by LOAD 2002 (edited 3/21/2003 1:54a).]
69huslinone
AG
Ah, they were still complaining in '65 that skipping the bonfire in '63 after Kennedy's Assination had cause a rise in injuries the next year due to lack of experience. The years 65-69 saw the largest bonfires ever built. A lot more orgainized, a lot less horseplay, we had 8-10,000 ags working 12 hour days. Band only in the stack area, don't know when that changes, but it was considered necessary due to specialized experience. IF you think you hurt, Thirty four years with, four years without bonfire? hell on earth.

Freedom is not free. Those that will not fight when it is easy and sure may have to fight when it is tough or impossible

[This message has been edited by 69huslinone (edited 3/28/2003 12:26p).]
SeaAGGIE05
AG
Thanks for sharing.

Gives those of us who want to know it hope and reason to fight.

[This message has been edited by SeaAGGIE05 (edited 3/29/2003 2:21p).]
TBill05
AG
hooray for being 05 and getting hosed
YellowPot96
97th post for this thread.....whoop, gig'em or something.

Thanks to everyone for responding - keep the memories alive - it's all we have.
ChipFTAC01
AG
actually, I also have a couple of scars, some penny nails, a pot, an old double bit, two handles, an old smelly pair of worn out suspenders and one boot.
commando2004
AG
quote:
one boot

What happened to the other one?
ChipFTAC01
AG
um...throughout my whole fish camp career I had a recurring skit of Rick & Dick the duct tape repairmen.

I had this old pair of junky skis that I would take and duct tape one of my old redwings from high school to (my grode boots). Anyways, I left it at camp in Fish Camp 2000 and it magically dissapearred before the next session got there. It broke my heart cause that was a great pair of boots and they've discontinued that line. Steel toe, I had had them for forever, gotten them resoled a couple of times. A lot of Bonfire memories in those boots.

I couldn't bear to throw away the other one, so it is in a box in storage. I dont know what the hell I am gonna do with it, but I just can't throw it away.
ENG
AG
Great post, first time I have read it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
A long time ago I printed this post out and put it in my wallet. It is right next to a '90 Fleer Nolan Ryan card that I have had in my wallet for forever, a small silver cross and a couple of letters from two of my close friends.

Its just there for a pickmeup when I need one.
Hagen95
AG
The only thing Load Pots were good for was the story at the end of headlight load, and handing out the ice cream!

Beer & Women, Our Desire
Party with the Best, Moses Empire

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.