Bonfire memories

52,765 Views | 252 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TowerAg90
Jock 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1993 fISH WRAP
CharlieHisFromDeKalbTexas
Yellowpot, that was one of the best memories piece I've read. I relate to 99% of everything you recounted.

I miss my truck being the tagline engine... and some dumbass scarecrow not pointing up or down when she waved her hands....
that happened so many times... the line went up without a log... came down with a log... etc...
and the boys in swings got pissed at ME!

I just popped another soda pop... and put 'er in reverse...

I burned so many tanks of gas... just driving forward and backward...
easiest job at stack!

Of course, I had to 'earn' it!

ARMY! my email is haldeman@kbtx.com

email me you assbeatin' fu**er!

[This message has been edited by CharlieHisFromDeKalbTexas (edited 4/24/2003 2:32a).]
DualAG
quote:
What is sad, is that I now teach at A&M and can get fired for talking about Bonfire or even suggesting that I might possibly sympathize with any group doing anything vaguely Bonfire related off-campus (still unsure on this issue). The administration is super sensitive. What is even worse imo is that I get fewer and fewer questions with each class I teach.

TIGOL97:

Please email me:

nelsondc@eartthlink.net
ChipFTAC01
AG
TTT for ct04
OldWalton91
Wow! Amazing how much things didn't change, many of the same memories for me from the '87-'91 fires. Even ten+ years after the last one i worked on, on a cold fall morning I used to go stand in the parking lot at my job and close my eyes. When the trucks started, I could hear and smell that diesel engine and I was magically taken back in time to some of my fondest memories from Aggieland. I cherish those memories and friendships made on that journey we call Bonfire.

GIG 'EM!
Erik Heinz '91
OldWalton91
ChipFTAC01-

Spoonge was the best damn Load Pot ever!

Socrates05
AG
It's stories like these and others I hear from old ags that make me want to do everything I can to keep it alive, so even if I only understand half of what yall talk about, maybe some ags in the future can have the oppurtunity again.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Not enough people have read this thread...just keeping it up.
bonfireag95
AG
Man, this brings back memories. I lived in 4th floor Moses, 1993. I remember 4:00 AM, "Revolution" by the Beatles blaring waking me out of the bunk, ax handles banging on my door, grab my pot, grodes, and heading over to Albertsons, sittin in the freezing parking lot, cut site, I was worn plum out, and during break a fellow Moses dude telling some good bull story smokin a Swisher Sweet, balancing on a just-chopped tree stump.

I also remember 2nd stack swing at midnight (about), Willie Nelson "blue eyes" blaring over the speakers. During a lull (brief, that is), I asked the next swing dude over if he had a chaw I could bug off him, he did, i took a plug. Just about then a Red came buy to check the log I just tied, said "Do it over", I did, as tight as I could. Solid as a rock!

Man, do I remember, just like yesterday. Thanks YellowPot96. I've still got my grodes in a black trash bag in my attic, unwashed, still smelling of perimeter fire. BTHOFTAB!
slim-jim
AG
Wow... Gotta keep this thread on top.

UP Grey Pot 2003
Leader Student Bonfire 2003
Fightin Texas Aggie Class of 2004.. WHOOP!
oldyeller
AG
Just keeping Corbin's thread near the top.

DYG
NeeleyAg97
Lots of fond Bonfire memories...Rebuild '94 (Tent City) was one of the craziest. I have never "camped out" that long before. I made some really good friends that year. Don't think my parents were too impressed with my grades that Fall semester. I made the alphabet (minus an "F"...it was worth it though!
oldyeller
AG
I remember the tent city, and pretty much not sleeping for a week while we stacked the hell. My grades sucked big time that semester too.

I also remember halloween parties out at stack, before push started and we could be a little more laid back and laugh at all the buckers. I especially remember one of those halloween nights at stack when a friend of mine came out wearing nothing but a couple of rolls of saran wrap! She said if we were gonna look at her like she was a piece of meat, then she was gonna dress like one for halloween. Good times. Hell, great times.

Damn I miss it.
WillD
AG

Hart's tents during rebuild.

[This message has been edited by WillD (edited 10/23/2003 10:58p).]
Knockout05
If my bonfire memories end up being 1/100 of what you guys have experienced, i will consider myself blessed. I have heard stories from my big bro, resident of hotard hall, and class of 98. Even though i have the same burning aggie desire to experience all that you all have, and i tell my bro this, he still thinks i'm wrong for being involved with unity project. yes, things have changed, and we can't help that, but at least the comraderie remains.

I wake up on cut days thinking, do i have to get out of bed, its 6 am....but then i remember getting to cut with my girls, the sound of the first crack of a tree falling, the way you feel it when it hits the ground. But most of all, i remember the looks on the faces of my fish the first time they kill a tree. That really gets me. I remember the first time i swung an ax, how much i sucked to begin with but grew with time and thankfully LOTS of practice. And i just never want to miss it. you guys thanks for sharing with young people like me, trying to show us the memories you have, some of which i understand, some of which i don't.

Gig'em.

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2005 WHOOP!
Fightin' Texas Aggie M.J. Neeley Hall WHOOP!
Sandiaman91
AG
Great post, pi$$pot...I can't believe that I just saw this thing after 2 years...All you said and more...It's the smell, man. Anytime I'm anywhere and I can smell that smell (diesel + hay/grass) I'm back on Duncan...THE biggest injustice to the current students at A&M right now is the missing opportunity of the other education that this event gave to any that wanted it.

Glad to see that there's another oldwalton'91 around ...need to talk to you, ole lady!
ChipFTAC01
AG
I was going through a box the other day and found my old work suspenders. where they cross in the back they are ductaped together and from where I busted one of the clips in the front, there is a d-ring (like for attaching your pliers' chain to your belt.)

They had a multitude of stains on them from Lord knows what and they were tripple bagged in some walmart bags. When I tore open the bags, I instantly smelled "the smell" and just sat for about half an hour thinking about the good ole days. I'm thinking about going out to cut this weekend with my little brother and the suspenders will definately have to make an appearance with me.

[This message has been edited by ChipFTAC01 (edited 10/24/2003 6:08p).]
northsidegreek06
AG
yesssss suspenders! We were discussing the other day in the Neeley woods how we needed suspenders.

I can only imagine how you felt after opening up the bag. After only a year after I opened up my bag of grodes and I smelt the grode smell, my excitement escaladed for cut this year.
Knockout05
yes, we were discussing them. Number one, i need them. and number two, other ppl thought they would be cool. but number one is important b/c my pants keep falling down. hehe.

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2005 WHOOP!
Fightin' Texas Aggie M.J. Neeley Hall WHOOP!
northsidegreek06
AG
heck yeah, mine too. Maybe that's cuz I have hardly no ass left...my jeans not having an ass left, I mean!!
tx4guns
AG
Thanks for the post. This one really got me thinking about the good 'ol days. I'd agree that '94 Rebuild was an awesome experience. Cut, load, swamp, perimeter pole, wrap, stack, it all was the best, no matter how much pain you endured! Bonfire is the best bonding tradition there is, and it needs to be brought back to campus.

'93-94 Lechner Hall Nerds
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 1997
Head Linesman
I miss licking all the creme from the Cookie Shack Oreos and putting them back like nothing had happened. Man, them women sure would get mad!

C1 NRB
sharklady00
As you read this I am sure all of you will close your eyes for one second...

Don't you miss the smell of campus? That strong campfire smell...

Now when I drive back into town in the Fall it feels cold to me without that welcome.

JW '00
sharklady00
Continuing on...

I also remember the people you met. There was one guy, I don't even remember his name (Stewart, I think but am sure I am wrong) but one late shift he was my swing man. After my fish year I ran into him periodically every year. Last time I saw him was at a wedding. We both looked at each other funny and I remember saying something like...I think you were my swing man?!?! His wife thought we were rediculous, by the way.

I hope kids will someday have that experience...meeting strangers and holding on to silly memories...while covered in dirt and smelling like ****...with a can of dip in your pocket ( did anyone ever use that crap? My mom was a little worried when I moved crap home to throw in the attic every year and weird stuff like a can of off-brand dip could not be thrown out when she would do spring cleaning.)

Never forget the good times!
WillD
AG
I remember last weekend the reda** students cut some wood down, put up a centerpole, and began stacking.
BTHOB93
Sorry, just couldn't let it die...
truedat70
ttt
Bonfire DYP
It has been an awfully long time since I have thought about those times. Thanks for helping me remember the good times.
LOAD 2002
AG
this definately needs to be bumped.

If you love bonfire, question bonfire, or just want to learn about the "other" side of the tradition you must read these pages.

I still can not come close to tears from reading the original post.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER GOOD STORIES?

please share.

No matter how insignificient you think it was, we are interested.
TxOilBaron
Definitely a very moving post...It makes me think about that tragic night, though. I was junior. It hurts thinking about that night and envisioning the kids who were out there. I must have received 10 calls early that morning from family members. (thinking I was out there)I wasn't.

I remember the following weekend, it was like a ghost town. Many kids went home to be with their families. No one was in the mood to party. I wasn't.

It also hurts to think about the bond and fellowship of future aggie classes. Being an aggie is not just going to school there. It is a state of mind.

class of 01'
brown eyes
I just want to thank all you old folks for sharing these memories. I'm from Florida, born and raised in the southeast. I didn't even hear about Texas A&M until I was a junior in high school. '99 was just "some fire" in the news for me. But when I met that first Aggie and heard his stories, I knew there was something special about A&M. Thanks for givin' us youngins the chance to step back in time a bit. There's a spirit can ne'er be told.... Indeed.

Disney '06

[This message has been edited by brown eyes (edited 9/26/2004 8:00p).]
Sesh 96
I'm glad people are still keeping this post alive.

For any old Moses guys out there: I miss ice cream, grode hoagies, grode sweet-thing, and of course the yummy crunch of grasshoppers ("those that know...they know".

BTHOB,
Sesh 96
Moses Hall RAB Crew Chief '93
jobu93
AG
I miss hanging out with the guys from Old DG.

Eric Roalston (big Eric)
Rich Casselli
Russ Savage
Little Eric

They were all pots at one time or another in DG and they all taught me so much...about the spirit...

My fish year (89) Eric and I would smoke swisher sweets on the DG benches after a night at the Chicken. We talked about random stuff, anything from women to making grades to proper ******* techiniques of logs.

Rich was the ballbuster of the 4 for me, I can't remember how many times I pushed for him. The fat F8ck weighed about 240 lbs and was twice as much getting him up the Moore stairs when he was passed out. Rich taught me to have a big voice and a bigger stick.

Russ, he was the youngest of the DG deads. He told me the stories of throwing their lines into the fire when DG would become a women's dorm. He worked with us in our woods more than any of the other dead guys of DG, and we finally taught him how to swing an axe. In return, he regularly ran f8ck crews for us. I was lucky enough to have my room directly across from his.

Little Eric...what can I say...he was the womanizer of the group. I learned many things from him too, but none of which can be posted here.

There's a huge learning curve when you become a pot, and our year all of our fathers moved out. In their defense, they ran our dorm 2 years in a row, the first being the renovation year when pretty much half of Northside was being upgraded and then my fish year. They put in their time and had fiancee's to take care of. Most were either Seniors or Juniors.

With our dads gone out of the dorms, we relied heavily on Russ and the other DG deads. They couldn't help us in the woods, they were pretty much fish out of water there. But they were worth their weight in gold at load. Most importantly, Russ and the Erics kept the pots morale up in certain situations. They kept us laughing when things may not go right. They came down on us when we screwed up. They made the fish laugh with us and at us when everyone was busting ass.

I miss the guys after us, too. Many of them I stay in contact with, but after about 96 they become a blur.

Anyway, a collective salute to all who worked on the fire. Especially the others who worked behind the scenes in 90.
YellowPot_97
AG
Great post. I'm glad this was bumped.

Hotard Hall
We might be small
but we got ***** that are Bonfire tall!
Texas Yarddog
AG
Where's Hotard?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.