Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Acceptance of the move to Dallas

13,149 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by MasterAggie
TAMU1990
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I do agree with the recruiting angle. That (to me) is the #1 reason why we would move the game to Dallas. We have been losing more recruits in Dallas than any other area. It's a OU/tu stronghold.
JAW3336
AG
In the end the money will make the difference.
Johnsmith
quote:
As our Great and Capable President said recently he thought college sports should be played on teams' campuses. I support him in this approach. Thank you Dr. Gates,President Of Texas A&M. gig'em

EXACTLY...Its college football, and we are one of the few schools where College football still revolves around the students. Thats the way it should be, this is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard, and there is NOT a single good reason to move this game out of Kyle field.
aeon-ag
OH BOY!!!! WE'RE GONG TO BE LIKE t.u. AND PLAY A GAME IN DALLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I wish we could move Texas Tech into the WAC or Mountain West. Can we have TCU, Houston, LSU, Iowa or Arkansas in their place?"

AMEN!!! and take baylor with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by aeon-ag (edited 9/27/2006 9:09a).]
Mac94
AG
Of course, Bill Byrne has stated a position on moving a conference game to Dallas:

http://www.aggieathletics.com/feature.php?type=1&Feature=83

quote:
You may have seen Coach Fran quoted in a rumor story that came up recently about us playing a conference opponent in a new stadium in Dallas; he made the point that we might be interested in a game in Dallas, but that wasn’t the one.

We’re not about to give up a Kyle-Field advantage to a conference opponent.

We'll see if Bill is a man of his word.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." The words of Jesus; John 16:33
AliasMan02
AG
Reasons against: It screws the students out of a game, and the Cotton Bowl is one of the worst venues in the state.
MasterAggie
AG
If we let this game move we're idiots!
AliasMan02
AG
I keep posting this, but nobody is listening. Dr. Gates has said that we're not moving the game, because the students lose out in that kind of thing.

That's it. End of story.
I bleed maroon
AG
I guess my main concern about this is that this goes against the national trend. There are very few neutral site games played any more, and most of the special early-season neutral site games (Pigskin Classic, Kickoff Classic, etc.) have been discontinued. My guess is that these games have not lived up to their billing, economics-wise.

What happens when 3-4 years down the road, when the novelty wears off, and the teams are netting $1.5 million each? The information I've seen is all based on projections, not guarantees.

And, I agree with Bill (if he sticks to it) - - we shouldn't even consider giving up a great home-field advantage like we currently enjoy.
FightinAggie07
AG
1) When we don't play texas at home, the "marquee" games are actually OU and in this year's case Nebraska.

2) To say that texas and Ou are ahead of the game by playing in the Cotton Bowl is neglecting the fact that they want to make it a home and home matchup. The Cotton Bowl sucks. It's old. Talk Reliant Stadium and maybe we'll concede.

3) Why would we want to give up our 82,000 home crowd just because yall can only house 53,000?
tcurb
umm....maybe I'm the only student on here but has anyone thought about the students. Last time I checked college students weren't the richest people in the world and yes I'd do anything I could to get tickets to the game but it would limit students from a financial aspect. The army game alone was $40. What's tt in dallas gonna be?
Shinedown
I for one would be pissed to give up my bi-yearly trip to Kyle Field, and I live in Dallas.
houstontexan
quote:

2. Exposure - National recruiting and school visibility

unless both programs seriously ramp it up, this isn't really the case.
TTmatador
aggiebird, I saw your post too late, however it would not have registered to me. I had no idea about the rookie posting limits. I'll have to conserve posts. For the sake of continuing to reply I had to register anew.

quote:
It's all about revenue to tceh which is why everything you have has a sponsor on it. At A&M we don't have to compromise and maintain enough revenue.

brad, I'm not sure about your sponsorships but I find it hard to believe you don't have any. Who sponsors your jerseys/uniforms? Nike? I'm sure you have sponsors. It helps both parties and is a necessity. You can always use more revenue. We are not the leaders in revenue, so there will be room for improvement.

1. Yes you do, notice how UT is always looking for ways to increase revenue.
2. Wrong. Recruiting comes before wins.
3. There are many fans left out right now
4. Get over yourself
5. There haven't been blowouts in CS.

I've shown the upside. Quit worrying about copying UT/OU. They didn't invent neutral site games and others have done the same also.

If you can find someone better, go for it. There is a reason why you sell out your games against Tech.

I'm not saying we are rivals or anything, but our games are good.

Just get over your inferiority complex about rivals and copying UT. You'll be a better person.

quote:
The Ags have been losing in recruiting wars to t.u. because they've racked up at least 9 wins since Mack Brown arrived

314. As long as Mack is there he will continue to get great recruits. The one thing we can do is increase our exposure. In doing so our recruiting (yes I mean both schools), will get better. Only then can we win some recruiting battles which will translate to the field. You don't always have to have the top rated recruits.

Yes you need more exposure. Like revenue the more the better. It's not like you are the best in recruiting or revenue, so quit acting like it. Winning is a result of this.

I'm well aware of your recruit rankings. I also realize you lose out on many recruits. Until you are no.1, then you can say you don't need more exposure. Even then it's debatable.

Bowl games never know who the teams will be so it carries more risk on the sponsor. With our game they already know the participants. Our conference championship game generates over 12 million dollars. Forget the bowls, that is not a good indicator.

bagger, this is not a gimmick but a sound business decision.

giveusroom. The numbers I present are not my numbers, but numbers quoted by the respective athletic directors. They know more about that than either one of us. Realize our conference championship generates over 12 million dollars for one game. Sometimes it is sold out, other times it brings in only 40,000. Our game would most likely be sold out or at worst pretty close to it. Besides the game, it would also have other festivities. It'll be fun, and both fans can go to it every year, instead of just a small percentage every other year.

analogy ag. many of the season ticket holders will not be able to attend the game in dallas due to money constraints, travel and other issues. That is where the other fans come in.

Kent. As we grow in stature, so will our programs grow nationally. That is what we are missing is more exposure nationally. The game in Dallas will put us there and the nation will get to see it. It will attract ESPN gameday which will be a boom for Dallas, Tech and A&M.

mac your link is dated
September 01, 2004
that was before the 12th game was added to the season. The climate has changed. In that article you will notice what I have been saying.
quote:
Simply put, as we move forward in putting together a meaningful schedule for the football players, the coaching staff, and you who support the program, we don’t want to play for the national championship in August.

We want to play for the national championship in January. Now before you get too literal with me, what I mean is this – our competition in the Big 12 Conference is so strong that we – all of us in the conference, really – must schedule carefully for the non-conference leading up to our conference battles.

Fans would like to see us play a non-conference schedule of Southern Cal, Notre Dame, and Florida State in the first three weeks of the season, make reaching the ultimate goal precarious and often getting coaches fired.

If you don't schedule a great opponent in Dallas then it won't generate the revenue numbers to make it worthwhile. A conference opponent is a necessity. Like Byrne said, you don't want to play your championship game in August.

It may not be the cotton bowl but the new arlington stadium. We'll see what the best options will be.

tcurb. concern for the students is well justified. They will be taken care of. There will be an allotment for students at a very reasonable price. Students will make this game a boom. You will be taken care of. Obviously some won't make it, but that's the case at Kyle right?
DecadePlan
AG
Wow, that's a long post! Hope it was good!
West Point Aggie
AG
ok...so is this nothing more than speculation? (still?)

ou/tu were playing in Dallas LONG before they were conference foes...A&M and Tech have always been conference foes..
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

In response to the recruiting rankings shown below. Its not tt we are trying to beat in recruiting from Dallas area its ut and ou. Their rankings are consistently higher than ours on average the last 5+ years.

I agree with others that the cotton bowl is a dump, but that might only be for 2 years or so, the new Cowboys stadium in Arlington will be a palace and capable of 70,000+ I hear.

As another option what about an alternating Dallas/Houston series and use the Cowboys/Texans facilities for that.

quote:

Recruiting national rankings by rivals:

Aggies - 8
tt - 37

Aggies - 13
tt - 33

Aggies - 10
tt - 44

Aggies - 23
tt - 48

Mac94
AG
TT -

The Big-12 Championship does make money, but that is because of the TV deal. It is partly in existance BECAUSE of ABC and that is the prime money generator. And, that money is split amoung the league memebers. The two teams in the game only make roughly $800,000 each in additional revenue. This was a created game that didn't exist before, and given that it is a championship game, that gives it value to TV.

Our game is already in existance and already falls under the Big-12 TV contract. The location of the game isn't gonna add anything to the TV deal nor is it gonna make it more attrative to the national media. ESPN isn't gonna run to Dallas to cover this game if the teams ain't top 10 to 15 material just because it's in Dallas. The RRS bears this out as with all its history and tradition spanning decades and the national promenence both teams have as football powers, some OU-Texas games went untelevised in the 1990's.

So, thinking that a move in location of this game automatically means we'll get the same as the Big-12 title game is silly. The two closest comparisions would be OU-Texas and Georia-Florida (although neither Tech or A&M have the national name those four schools do) and I'm pretty sure that in the RRS the money is primarily generated by the extra donation requirement to purchase tickets, not sponsorship or TV. And, if this was all such a cash cow, why is OU and Texas both thinkning about going home and home, why did Auburn - Alabama go home and home, etc?

As for my quote, yes, I know when it was made. The rumor of A&M and Tech going to Dallas has been going on for several years now. And, the quote was about this very rumor. His answer has nothing to do with the number of games or home games per season, it was about Kyle Field and conference games. Given his answer, the 12th game isn't an out.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." The words of Jesus; John 16:33
Smittyfubar
AG
DDP

[This message has been edited by Ag_B_10 (edited 9/27/2006 11:43a).]
Smittyfubar
AG
quote:
Reasons against the move.
1. Selfish business owners in the respective communities.
2. Selfish season ticket holders who think the world revolves around them.

Well! We can tell you're not biased.[/sarcasm]
Sandman23
AG
Ok...I am completely against a neutral site game against itt. Even though I hate the tards fans with a passion, I beleive that the Ags should have to deal with them every other year just as they deal with a very raucous 80,000+ when they come to Kyle. My roommate and I have been saying for several years now, and are wanting to actually start some type of petition to Byrne that we could start a neutral site OOC game against LSU in Houston.

1. Reliant >>>>>>> Cotton Bowl, newer, cleaner, better media access for national TV.

2. Houston >>>>>>> Dallas and much closer to both teams.

3. In terms of $, this game would draw a much bigger national spotlight because it is not just a Texas thing. Also, being an OOC game would make it easier to schedule so as not to be competing for TV time with heavyweight conference showdowns (i.e. Red River shootout)

4. In terms of recruiting, see item #3 but also opens up Lousiana a little bit more to A&M. And before anything is said about losing recruits to LSU, I am not sure that isn't happening anyway.

Not sure what y'all think about this, and I am positive that we were not the first two to think this up, but lets get some ideas behind the legitamacy of this idea.
buglerank06
AG
man screw the raiders... the last thing we need is a neutral site 'rivalry recognition' series with them where every one else can mock us as the little sisters of t.u. and OU. we'd be playing below our potential to set up such a matchup, i agree someone with more prestige like LSU is a smarter neutral site if you have to have one. although playing LSU home and home would be bad ass
TTmatador
mch, right on about recruiting and arlington. Houston however, might not be appropriate as it is too far from Lubbock and Houston doesn't have a good reputation for college games (see conference championship and defunct bowls). Money talks though and if they make an offer that we can't refuse then so be it. Dallas is a better fit.

mac. the big 12 tv deal is one of the worst, if not the worst of the BCS leagues. One of the reasons is that the almost all of the leagues cities are in small towns, out of the beaten path. This would make another game in a major media city. The big 12 championship also generates money due to other sponsors besides TV.

The game in Dallas we get to keep ticket sales money. If we can get a good sponsor we'll be able to keep that in addition. That is what the ADs are telling us.

LOCATION DOES MATTER. It is much easier to get to dallas and there are a ton more things to do there than CS or Lubbock those are just facts. It justifies it to fans and the media.

Why do you think UT/OU have kept it. With the additional 12th game they are looking like a genius. You can only milk so much out of your regular season ticket holders. This will generate a huge amount of money due to the other fans or just the wealthier season ticket holders who can afford both.

It is just another avenue to get donations to your athletic arm in addition to the cost of the tickets.

Trust me if Byrne didn't think it was probable he would have made an affirmative statement here recently with all the talks going on. Tech's AD isn't going to be promoting this if he thought Byrne wasn't interested. Byrne has not nipped this in the butt, becuase it will happen.

Just need for you to accept it and know there are sound reasons.
XL2Win
i'll guarantee it won't happen in the next 5 yrs

Excellence First ...
TTUAlum
Tech Grad and proud of it.

[Flame post by soon-to-be former Texags user deleted -- Staff]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 9/27/2006 2:53p).]
Sandman23
AG
Matador...you come off as someone who has quite the inside scoop with all of your talk about acceptance. Anything to this or are you going off of intuition and hunches? Just curious. I will never just accept it, but since when has dollar Bill given a rats @$$ about the acceptance of some of his horrible ideas.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
TTUmatador = Gerald Myers screen name.
Gator92
AG
Thanks TT for the dialogue, but I'm a selfish season ticket holder and live just 1-1/2hr away in Houston. Yes, my proximity and selfishness are a factor.

I contest that greed is the main motivation for people like you(include all Aggies that think the game should be in Dallas).

From your posts, it seems that the best reason to move this game is recruiting. Many posters have disagreed w/ you and I will as well. The difference is that moving the game to Dallas wouldn't be a good move for tt either. You, just like us would loose a marquee game every other year. Thats one less chance to invite recruits to your campus.

Besides, what will the ka's do every other year about Calf Fry.

P.s. $Bill if you're reading this, I will not renew my season tickets if the game is moved to Dallas.
Mac94
AG
TT -

The game isn't gonna get a dime out of TV just because it's in Dallas.

TV doesn't care where the game is played, but how many people will be watching. It's about the number of sets tuned in, not the number in the town the game is played. Joe Six Pack in Boston or Detroit isn't all of the sudden gonna watch A&M-Tech because it's being played in Dallas. TV cares about ratings, and the location of the game doesn't drive that.

And, that's why the Big-10 and SEC have better TV deals, because they have more TV sets in their regions.

As for sponsors. There will be some, but that isn't the magical answer to where the guaranteed money will come from. As I said earlier, Nokia pays around $1 million a year to sponsor the Sugar Bowl. That's alot of cash but not near enough to guarantee the kind of payout that is being thrown around. Do you really beleive that a company is gonna pay the same for a regular season conference game as another pays for a tradition rich BCS Bowl game? Yes, there will be money from sponsorship, but nothing close to the guaranteed $4 million per team per year.

So, if TV is out and sponsorship can't amke up all the money, where will it come from? The only other avenue is the fan. Both ADs will do just what you say they aren't doing, try to milk more and more out of the fans of both schools.

XL2Win
quote:
Tech Grad and proud of it.

well, everybody has to be proud of something.

the good news is that since the tech diploma is a tortilla, you could always eat it when the pizza delivery business gets tough.

Excellence First ...
bogustrumper
AG
-tceh want$ it bad and need$ it bad:

Texas Tech: 48,130 Attendance Average

-A&M doesn't want it and doesn't need it:

Texas A&M: 78,648 Average Attendance
Urban Ag
AG
Honestly, who gives a rats ass what the opinion of the tards is on this subject? If the majority of Ags don't want the game moved to Dallas, it's not going to be moved.

Killer-K 89
AG
If it is ALL about the money, then I will put my trust in Dollar Bill to make the right financial decision.

I do not want to lose a home game every other year at Kyle Field. But if that means those tech people are not in Aggieland, then I am willing to give it up on that basis alone.

Though it would be fun to play LSU at Reliant each year. Or at least a couple of years. I am not interested in going to Tiger Stadium.
GiveUsRoom
TTmatador,

Your leaps of faith are mind boggling. Don't be afraid to use some common sense or actually learn something.

There are just too many holes in your wild assumptions to review them all and people pointing out the overriding facts doesn't seem to be registering anyway, so try to focus on just this one question:

What makes you think that a regular season game that has no TV rights to sell will guarantee the participants as much or more than some of the best established bowl games?

(and if you are relying on the "major media market" of Dallas suddenly tuning into a game they would get in their market anyway, regardless of where it's being played, in such increased numbers because they are suddenly so interested by its proximity that it causes a huge ratings increase and lets the Big 12 renegotiate their TV deal and after dividing this new revenue 12 ways it dwarfs that generated by the Conference Championship game, which does actually add to the TV package, and provides all 12 a payout equal to the Citrus Bowl... well, save some pride and fold up your tent).
BigAG98
AG
stupid tard,

College Station and Lubbock aren't media mecas? What the heck? I think both schools have been on TV 38 times over the last 5 years from the article I read in the DMN. That averages out to 7.6 games a year. There are alot of schools who would kill for that media expsoure.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/092706dnspotechamlede.326ca7f.html

TV appearances
Texas A&M: 38

Texas Tech: 38

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.