Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Acceptance of the move to Dallas

13,172 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by MasterAggie
MosesRAB-93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I, like 99% of fellow Ags, do not want us to move the Tech game to Dallas, for all of the reasons stated above. Anyone who thinks we will each get $4 mil for this game is totally fooling themselves.

If we want a neutral site game every year, I think the following are our best options:

LSU at Reliant - This was played every year when I was in school, and it was AWESOME. (It would be better as a home and home, though. Also, we must put severe penalties in place for crawfishing - I would start w/ a bond from LSU.)

Arkansas at Jerryland - He could make it happen as he is an alum.
Post removed:
by user
ian
AG
This has been quite the civil discussion...
TurboVelo
AG
Tech has plenty of money.

Last year, they paid off Fresno State to the tune of $100000 to chicken out of the game.

Last year, they also paid Louisville $100000 to chicken out of the game.

Obviously, they have plenty of money.
TTUAlum
XL2win~

The reason we throw tortillas on the field is we are just trying to help out Aggie #11. We have heard he doesn't run through the middle he eats his way through the middle. Heard this from both Tech and UT fans. Must be something to it.

Honestly, can you be a little more original than the same old pizza story? As smart as you all are and with your vivid imagination why don't you see if you can come up with another lowly job you think all Tech grads perform. I am sure it will be just brilliant.
'03ag
this is a horrible idea
'03ag
this is a one way deal that benefits only third tier u. all we get is some money, which we can't need that badly.
Mosquito Hunters
AG
As an Ag planning on moving back hom to Dallas next summer after graduating, I approve!
phildickinson1
don't know if has already been said, but tech never outrecruited ut. why would we try to give them a hand up?
Mayhaw Jelly
AG
No reason to ever go to Lubbock...ever.

Outstanding.
'03ag
exactly, the only helps tech recruit in the state. it doesn't help us at all.
XL2Win
quote:
Honestly, can you be a little more original than the same old pizza story? As smart as you all are and with your vivid imagination why don't you see if you can come up with another lowly job you think all Tech grads perform. I am sure it will be just brilliant.

you guys really don't give us much to work with. i mean what alternatives are there at your level? grease monkeys at gas stations are nearly extinct ... maybe postal clerk? zoo cage cleaner? taste tester at the recycled water treatment plant?

Excellence First ...
Rndomtask
AG
moving the game to Dallas is b.s.
aggie93
AG
I am open to the idea but why go to the disaster that is the Cotton Bowl and to Dallas? Put the game in Reliant in Houston and then it makes sense. A shiny new stadium and in A&M's backyard. Tech will only be our equal if we make them out to be. If Tech wants to go neutral site, fine, they can do it on our terms.
twk
AG
quote:
You can only milk so much out of your regular season ticket holders. This will generate a huge amount of money due to the other fans or just the wealthier season ticket holders who can afford both.
This is the fatal flaw in the argument. Where are these legions of fans who aren't season ticket holders but are going to pay $100 per ticket in order for this game to make the $8 million per year that it is going to take for the teams to split $4 million? They aren't out there.

Now, your second option, milking the "wealthy" season ticket holders who can afford it, also doesn't work unless the game is in high demand, as OU/Texas. If the ticket is optional, and many season ticket holder choose not to buy these tickets, then you get no bump in donations from season ticket holders anxious to secure their seats to the neutral site game. OU/Texas won't leave Dallas so long as they can extract a premium from the season ticket holders just for the opportunity to get tickets to that game. Texas season ticket holders have to contribute several thousand just to make the cut for OU tickets. There will not be that kind of demand spurring donations for either A&M or Tech--just pissed off season ticket holders.

BTW: I'm an A&M season ticket holder that drives 4.5 hours to BCS for each game, and passes through Fort Worth in the process. I have no interest in seeing this game moved.
SchizophrenAg99
AG
You forgot:

6. Never having to go to Lubbock again.
7. Not needing to cleanup the town after the tard vandals leave College Station.

TC '99
Old Army - Goin' to hell since 1877
TTUAlum
you guys really don't give us much to work with. i mean what alternatives are there at your level? grease monkeys at gas stations are nearly extinct ... maybe postal clerk? zoo cage cleaner? taste tester at the recycled water treatment plant?

Honestly, that is really not very creative. We don't give you much to work with? Well, perhaps we could be a lawyer. Perhaps we could give you a run for your money with that? Oops...forgot, A&M doesn't have a law school! Perhaps we can be a physician? Oops...sorry, forgot you do not have a Medical School either.

Guess you really do not have a great perspective as to exactly what a Raider can be because you don't have some of the opportunities we have.

Now, try again. Let's see your creative juices flow. I guarantee for every menial job you think a Raider does there is an Aggie standing right by him. The Aggie just thinks he is better at it. Wonder how many unethical Aggies there were at Enron? That would be an intersting subject to delve into.
DecadePlan
AG
Did you wash your underpants with your red TT shirt or did you buy them that way?
XL2Win
better check your facts on the medical school. not that facts are expected to be part of the sand flea repetoire.

law school? we had one lined up until the sips and cougar hi threw a fit.

wanna compare vet schools? how about phd programs? research funding? how about avg undergraduate starting salaries? need i continue?

Excellence First ...

[This message has been edited by XL2Win (edited 9/27/2006 3:39p).]
XL2Win
the aggie may be standing by the techster but that's becasuse the owner usually takes interest in how his employees perform, even the ones with menial jobs.

Excellence First ...
GUNZUP

[This message has been edited by GUNZUP (edited 9/27/2006 3:45p).]
Mr.HeIper
Let's not forget it was A&M that approached Tech's athletic department with the whole "move-the-game-to-Dallas" plan.

Personally, I hate the idea!

1. What makes college football great are the gameday atmospheres of venues like Kyle Field or Jones Stadium. It is vital to keep the colleges playing on their campuses and NOT sell-out to larger metro areas.

2. Who wants to be a cheap copy of the RRS?

That is exactly what the perception would be.

Heck, while we are at it why don't we invite Baylor and OSU to play Thursday night...Tech and A&M can play Friday night..Then, for the big ole' grand finally (drumroll) Texas vs. OU as the "big Show" on Saturday..WRETCH!<I just had a little sumpin' block my eso****us for a bit there>

Yeah all the Thursday and Friday teams could sit in the stands, grouped as a team, displaying their jerseys and little, conical party hats as they soak up this corperate abomination. NO THANKS

Texas vs. OU should be mandated to play home and home. Why shouldn't UT ever get the opportunity to go to Owen Field? ( A&M and Tech sure as sunshine get to go there) Why doesn't OU ever get the opportunity to go to Memorial?

It isn't a level playing field. But instead of making more games away from campuses; the games need to be played home and home. ALL conference games.
RailRoad04
This is sad fact that we are at similar level with Tech far as program goes. 10 years ago this would been a joke.
Gigem314
AG
quote:
Just get over your inferiority complex about rivals and copying UT. You'll be a better person.

Umm...ok. If you knew anything about A&M and the environment and traditions of our school...you would know we are FAR from trying to copy the 'horns in anything. I'm not obsessed with 'copying' the 'horns. If Florida-Georgia had their neutral-site game in Dallas...I would feel the same way about moving one of our games there. But go ahead if it makes you feel better techie.
quote:
1. Yes you do, notice how UT is always looking for ways to increase revenue.
2. Wrong. Recruiting comes before wins.
3. There are many fans left out right now
4. Get over yourself
5. There haven't been blowouts in CS.

You just said we should stop trying to copy UT...and now your school wants us to consider a move to a neutral game in Dallas...because you say it's worked in revenue for the 'horns. There are other ways of increasing revenue. I would like to see A&M consider other options first. No blowouts at Kyle Field...so what?? We've won 8 of the last 10 there...wins are all that matter.
quote:
The one thing we can do is increase our exposure. In doing so our recruiting (yes I mean both schools), will get better. Only then can we win some recruiting battles which will translate to the field. You don't always have to have the top rated recruits.

Which is why you win with the recruits you have...that's been A&M's problem. It's not a lack of exposure. Once again you're talking as if both our schools are on the same playing field. They're not. You've won more games recently, yes. Clearly we haven't...our progam has dropped the ball in that regard. But if you look at the numbers, we've out recruited you, which means we DON'T have the same recruiting and exposure problems that y'all do. Our problem is producing our talent on the field...whether it happens this year under Fran or under someone else. Our programs are not the same, don't try to paint things as if they are.
quote:
I'm well aware of your recruit rankings. I also realize you lose out on many recruits. Until you are no.1, then you can say you don't need more exposure.

We've lost out on recruits because we haven't been winning. Yet we still out-recruit y'all. Worry about your own program and let us deal with ours. As far as exposure goes, every school could always use more. But we don't need it badly enough to play texas tech in Dallas. Like that's going to generate A&M a ton of national exposure. Winning comes first. We constantly pull in top 15, top 20 recruiting classes. We have talent...the way we get more is by winning with what we have. Tech's case may be different...seeing as how you guys are in the 30's for rankings.

Make all the Fran jokes you want, ridicule us for sucking the last several years. But the facts are simple...A&M's problem is producing talent on the field. Tech needs more exposure to crack the top 20 in recruiting. Once again, our programs are not the same.

[This message has been edited by Gigem314 (edited 9/27/2006 4:23p).]
CT'97
AG
Tech needs this a lot more than we do.

They need the money because they don't have anywhere near the fan base with the donations coming in to compete with the big boys on spending.

They also need the recruiting exposure a major game in DFW would give them.

The implied costs of not playing this game are much higher for tech than for A&M. We shouldn't play the game for those reasons alone.
aggiez98
AG
To all the TCEH TARDS I have a wonderful idea for you, just move your Baylor game to dallas and you kill two birds with one stone. First you get a rival and second you both need the money way more than we do.

You should combine your brains to put together a word document, hell you can even say it was your idea, then submit it to the Big XII. I guarantee you all the other schools will sign off on it.
TTmatador
sandman. nothing is concrete, but you better expect it.

gator92. call it greed or whatever. It's about make additional revenue which will help the athletic program as a whole. That in turn benefits you the season ticket holder, if you are a A&M alum or real fan.

The best reason for the move is EXPOSURE AND MONEY. From that comes recruiting, better enrollment from HS, better visibility for the university as a whole (professors etc). UT/OU invite recruits to their game in Dallas and it is a positive. They can always make unofficial visits to campus. It would be a boost to recruiting.

Mac. I see why you are having a hard time. Let me make this clear so we don't have to hash out the economics. The 4M is coming from ticket sales. It is solid. Don't worry about TV revenue or anything else. That seems to be your stumbling block. The 4M has already been evaluated by both administrations. Anything above that will come from sponsors. Now that we are in the Big 12 and alums are more proud and the programs are more visible, it will attract the sponsors.

quote:
College Station and Lubbock aren't media mecas? What the heck? I think both schools have been on TV 38 times over the last 5 years from the article I read in the DMN. That averages out to 7.6 games a year. There are alot of schools who would kill for that media expsoure.

Like I said in the initial post. 4 years ago our game wasn't even televised. The year after it had to be moved to a ridiculous time. The move to Dallas will solidy our TV exposure.

quote:
This is the fatal flaw in the argument. Where are these legions of fans who aren't season ticket holders but are going to pay $100 per ticket in order for this game to make the $8 million per year that it is going to take for the teams to split $4 million? They aren't out there.

twk. Your game in the alamodome showed how many fans will support your team. Our soldout game at TCU (first sellout since 1984) was due to Tech, and the capacity crowd at last year's cotton bowl. There are literally legions of fans waiting to pick up the slack.

The game is in high demand. Kyle and Jones have sellouts yearly. It's a great game. Our game won't have the demand as UT/OU. It's important not to compare ourselves to them. However the demand is there, and the additional revenue is all we care about in addition to exposure. A win win situation.

There will be season ticket holders that protest. That is obvious. They are getting a game they love taken away from them. However it allows the programs to compete at a higher level which will trickle down and the season ticket holder will get a better product.

There will be some that don't renew their season tickets. They weren't real fans to begin with. The 6M every two years (or minimum 4M) will offset that, I assure you. Your season ticket will be replaced by a new season ticket holder and you give up your spot. I doubt many will want to do that, but if so let them bury themselves in their misery.

quote:
This is sad fact that we are at similar level with Tech far as program goes. 10 years ago this would been a joke.

Tech has been getting better due to the Big 12. That's good for all. Look at your hoops program, it is better. Everything is cyclical and your football team will get much better.

quote:
You just said we should stop trying to copy UT...

314. no I didn't. I said get over your complex about copying UT. They didn't invent the neutral site game. If it is a good business decsiion, then we'll do it, no matter if UT is already doing it.

There are always other ways for increasing revenue. This by far gets the most for the least amount of effort. Football is the money maker and this is effortless.

Agreed that you have less recruiting and exposure problems than Tech. However you have more recruiting and exposure problems than others like UT and OU. This will help level the playing field.

quote:
We've lost out on recruits because we haven't been winning. Yet we still out-recruit y'all.
You just negated your argument. Winning isn't the end all answer to better recruiting or else we would outrecruit you now. Kstate when they were top 10 would have had top 10 recruiting classes. Instead what both programs need is revenue and exposure. You just helped my view.

I'm not ridiculing Fran. There is no reason to believe he should be successful at A&M. He did well at bama against better competition.

I never said our programs were the same. I'm just saying both our programs need the additional revenue and exposure.

Finally, there will be people that get upset. I assure you they will get over it. If not it is their loss. They will be replaced in a heartbeat.

Tow the line and fall in place. You must support your program and this is a necessary deal.

[This message has been edited by TTmatador (edited 9/27/2006 5:15p).]
Mr.HeIper
I would like to see this:

UT play Arkansas in Dallas (non-conference)

A&M play LSU in Houston-Reliant and/or N.O.-Superdome (revive an old rivalry)

TECH play Arizona Home and Home (Revive an old rivalry)

Baylor and TCU could work something out.

Okie schools are on their own. Although the OU vs UCLA could be a good one. ala Nebraska/USC
SchizophrenAg99
AG
quote:
forgot you do not have a Medical School either

http://medicine.tamu.edu

TC '99
Old Army - Goin' to hell since 1877
Gigem314
AG
quote:
You just negated your argument. Winning isn't the end all answer to better recruiting or else we would outrecruit you now.

So you're saying my theory is wrong...because Tech has been winning more, but still can't overtake us in recruiting? Fair enough. But you forgot to allow for something...

Tech's program is smaller than ours! Even in our sucky years...we still appeal to recruits simply because we are Texas A&M University. We have a bigger school, better facilities, and bigger alumni support. Do those things win games? No, they don't...as evident in our record the last several years. But they are important tools that work in our favor no matter how bad we are on the field. Simple as that. Like I said, your theory could have a point if our programs were the same. But once again...they are NOT.

[This message has been edited by Gigem314 (edited 9/27/2006 5:24p).]
TTmatador
I never said they didn't work in your favor. 314 I am not posting a we are better than you thread. I am posting that this game will help BOTH programs and BOTH need it. If one needs it more than the other who friggin cares. We both need improvement.
Gigem314
AG
quote:
I am not posting a we are better than you thread.

I didn't see it that way.

BUT...many of your statements give the indication that you think Texas A&M and Texas Tech's football programs are in the same place and have the same needs. That just isn't the case.
TTUAlum
tcamilli99:

My mistake. See I can admit to mistakes. I did not find your Med School in any of lists I looked at.

Thank you for pointing this out. I appreciate the fact that you were not ugly when you posted your response.
J. Walter Weatherman
worst idea ever. whatever recruiting advantage we gain by playing in dallas is ten times less than the advantage that a big game at kyle gives us.
XL2Win
quote:
My mistake. See I can admit to mistakes.

like going to tech? but then you probably didn't have another option.

Excellence First ...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.