Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Acceptance of the move to Dallas

13,155 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by MasterAggie
Mr.HeIper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There is NOT a highschool kid in the Metroplex that doesn't know A&M or TECH. Gainsville Fla. maybe not so much. Now THAT would be a "recruiting exhibition"

Furthermore, why would TECH want to move a marquee game away while we are in the throws of stadium expansion?

The A&M weekend in Lubbock brings in a lot of revenue. I am sure the same can be said to the TECH weekend at B/CS. I realize this doesn't go into the athletic department coffers directly, but this economic windfall being terminated --or worse-- being sucked to Dallas isn't exactly a good way to facilitate a symbiotic relationship with the local businesses. (I gladly signed a petition to NOT move the game...I estimate a loss of revenue in the $10,000 range for that weekend--and this is just one lil'ole business)
DecadePlan
AG
Mr. Helper - transfer southeast. You're talking sense there fella!
Bonfire87
Last time I checked, this is a COLLEGE football game. Why are we moving it out of College Station? If tceh wants to play their HOME game in Dallas fine, but we have the best and largest stadium in the state. Makes no sense.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Again, Kyle Field is home of the Fighting Texas Aggies. Kyle is home-everything else is an away game.

It saddens me that this is probably the last Tech game I will ever see in Kyle--and probably the last one I will ever see in person since this is rumored to be a really long term contract.

I hate that.

I love any game in Kyle--it is always greater than any game played anywhere else.
laura2003
The only place I wanna see the ags play is at Kyle Field. I would not drive to DALLAS to see them play. The only possibe way I would go is if I already lived in DALLAS.
HemiAg03
AG
If I am paying for season tickets the game better be at Kyle Field.
AMF 2 AMC
AG
quote:
There is NO up-side to us taking a neutral-site game with tech. It's going to look like a cheap copy of the Red River Shootout.

Amen.

I'm agin it.
ranger65
There is only one person standing between keeping this game on campus and going to Dallas -- Dr. Gates. He has met with State Fair officials, with Regents, and knows what the Athletic Department and football coaches want. I am told he remains firm -- and pretty much alone. While he might agree to one away game at the State Fair at which we play different teams -- including but not limited to Tech -- he is adamant against locking in the annual game with Tech there. I think you can take this to the bank: the annual meeting with Tech will not move to Dallas as long as Gates is President of Texas A&M. He has said not only that college games should be played on college campuses and that A&M students would be the losers, but I'm told he has said in private he would never agree to being locked into an annual competition that relgated us to a permanent second class status behind tu and Oklahoma. So, despite all the speculation on this board, don't underestimate one tough SOB standing up for what he thinks is right.
ekesqueaky
I hope you're right, ranger.

Keep it at Kyle!
ssolari94
BTD
skeetboy3
AG
quote:
The athletic department can't ask more money from ticket holders as they are maxed out
How in the world has tceh maxed out the season ticket holders. You can get 40yd line seats for $169
http://lubbockonline.com/stories/123105/col_123105014.shtml--This site only lists prices, I could not find the stadium map, but I do know that is for the East side 30-40yd seats. Also these tix do not require a donation!

Clearly "maxing out" comes earlier at tceh
p_bubel
quote:
There is NO up-side to us taking a neutral-site game with tech. It's going to look like a cheap copy of the Red River Shootout.

Bingo!

Dallas, yeah, no thanks.
Ag Aviator
Ranger,

Good post.

No doubt we would like to have the extra revenue, but playing copy cat to the tu-ou game is like our way of settling for second class citizenship.

An annual marque matchup with notre dame is a different story!
DecadePlan
AG
Ranger!
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Dr. Gates might be standing alone against the football powers that be, but he has a legion of Aggies willing to stand with him.

Keep it at Kyle. How can anyone look at that 12th man, and want to walk away from them?
Sleve McDichael
AG
If the State Fair people had any brains, they'd sweet-talk both schools separately. Get A&M to play some SEC team and let Tech play whoever they want to play. Why have two games when you can have three and make that much more money?

Plus, it would appear to solve most of the dissenter problems. It seems most would be ok with giving up a home game as long as it's to somebody other than Tech, and then all three schools would feature as marquee games.

I dunno, makes sense to me.
Shawdawg
AG
Didn't know I was going to read a novel.
Gigem314
AG
quote:
If tceh wants to play their HOME game in Dallas fine, but we have the best and largest stadium in the state. Makes no sense.

Good point. I'd rather see us do it that way.

Besides...people keep pointing out that the tech game has brought out the biggest home crowd the last few years...t.u. being the biggest the years we play them.

Why would we want to move a game in which we can pack 85,000 people to Dallas where we'd get 65,000 at best.

Given the size of tech's stadium...I like the idea of THEM using Dallas as their home site every other and let us keep it at Kyle. Doubt it would happen though, but I think it makes the most sense.

[This message has been edited by Gigem314 (edited 9/27/2006 10:51p).]
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Ranger - Thanks for the info and the good word. Dr. Gates has been wonderful for our university and he should know that he does not stand alone.

XL2Win
quote:
How in the world has tceh maxed out the season ticket holders. You can get 40yd line seats for $169

hey, that's a lot of pizza deliveries. gotta price to your market.

Excellence First ...
XL2Win
quote:

Excellence First ...
XL2Win
quote:

Excellence First ...
XL2Win
quote:

Excellence First ...
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Simple supply and demand. That is below our "discount" price, but it must be all the support they have in Lubbock. Yet they think their fans will drive to Dallas and pay MORE to attend a game there.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Bill Byrne should be fired if he allows this game to be moved away from home and home.
byxaggie00
AG
College football should be played in front of college students on college campuses. Period.

Want to win the recruiting wars? Win games. That's all that matters. Because I tell you, if Baylor were winning national championships, there'd be people flocking to Waco.
Aston04
AG
quote:
There is only one person standing between keeping this game on campus and going to Dallas -- Dr. Gates. He has met with State Fair officials, with Regents, and knows what the Athletic Department and football coaches want. I am told he remains firm -- and pretty much alone. While he might agree to one away game at the State Fair at which we play different teams -- including but not limited to Tech -- he is adamant against locking in the annual game with Tech there. I think you can take this to the bank: the annual meeting with Tech will not move to Dallas as long as Gates is President of Texas A&M. He has said not only that college games should be played on college campuses and that A&M students would be the losers, but I'm told he has said in private he would never agree to being locked into an annual competition that relgated us to a permanent second class status behind tu and Oklahoma. So, despite all the speculation on this board, don't underestimate one tough SOB standing up for what he thinks is right.

Gig'em Gates.
Mac94
AG
I hope what has been said about Dr. Gates is true. If it is he is NOT alone, he has the vast majority of Aggies with him.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." The words of Jesus; John 16:33
kjaneway
AG
Ranger, thank you for your post.

I promise you, Dr. Gates does NOT stand alone.
We might not all be rich former students, but many of us do not want to see this game moved to Dallas.
JW
AG
Count me as for the move. Also count most of my Aggie friends as well. Opposition is definitely not 99%.

I am not from Dallas, but moved here after graduation. The ou/ut game is a fun event for their fans, most of who come to Dallas with no intention of going to the game, just for the atmosphere. I think having the game while the state fair is going on, makes it a great event. You guys should open your minds and give it a chance. It would be a great trip.

Also, A&M gets almost no exposure in Dallas. We would get more exposure that week than we would all year. It also tease the media to cover us more the rest of the year. Trust me, we need the exposure to young atheletes in Dallas.

And finally you can't deny the money-it makes the world go round. There still would be 6 home games to soak up the Kyle field atmosphere.

It appears that much of the oppostition is from people living in Houston, or close to BCS who do not want to travel to Dallas for logistic or personal reasons. Because of course Reliant would be ok. But I think the state fair and need for Dallas exposure would tip the favor for a Dallas game.

TTUmatador
quote:
He has said not only that college games should be played on college campuses and that A&M students would be the losers, but I'm told he has said in private he would never agree to being locked into an annual competition that relgated us to a permanent second class status behind tu and Oklahoma.

I've got news for Gates. Everyone is second class behind UT. He can't deny it. HE MUST ADDRESS IT. OU is second. Everyone else is third class and below. The only way to elevate your standing is to improve, and the move is a critical part of that. There is only one way to catch the Joneses and that's to play their game.

Gates was the one who brought you Fran, not Byrne. He is the one who has egg on his face for the drop. He needs to stick to the academic side and let Bryne handle the athletic side. This move will also help the academic side, and if he can't see it, then he's short sighted. He won't be the one to stop the move.

There are only huge positives for this move. The contract signed will be a short one to test the waters. Then after you see it as a huge plus, it can move forward.

JW nailed it. It is an event for all to see, even non Tech/A&M fans. That is what we mean by exposure.

season ticket holders will still get the same amount of home games as they did before, so there should be no outcry.

You can't be selfish and expect to grow.
XL2Win
move away from the bong ...

ain't gonna happen ... i guarantee it.

Excellence First ...
f2foxes2001
AG
Let the tcehers play their home game in Dallas and we keep ours, just like Army did. That way, Meyers will get more money than in Lubbock and we keep our home game.
Saint Arnold
AG
The "exposure" arguement is bunk. We have repeatedly turned down offers to play nonconference games with Rice & UH which would have given us that "exposure" in the major market of Houston(as t.u. has done recently). TV is where the valuable exposure is, and we get that throught the Big 12 contract.

Financially local business that support A&M would miss out on a valuable weekend on the former "home" years, and we would have an annual travel expense that would add to every other year. We would essentially be trading a conference home game for a road game every other year.

Recruiting arguement is bunk as well. We invite high profile recruits for official visits to Kyle Field -we don't need to play a game in Dallas to be seen. How many potential recruits will fork out $100 a seat to watch us? Especially since we'll be offering an invite at our house anyway.

Stupid, stupid idea for the Ags. Great, wonderful idea for the sand fleas.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.