Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Acceptance of the move to Dallas

13,171 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by MasterAggie
texag84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A game in Dallas is total BS! I live in the Dallas area and I still hate the idea. I love my Saturdays in College Station and never miss one on game day. BS, BS, BS, Damned I am mad!
This only helps the sand fleas. Let's hope we aren't this stupid!
J. Walter Weatherman
quote:

I am not from Dallas, but moved here after graduation. The ou/ut game is a fun event for their fans, most of who come to Dallas with no intention of going to the game, just for the atmosphere. I think having the game while the state fair is going on, makes it a great event. You guys should open your minds and give it a chance. It would be a great trip.

wow big surprise. someone that lives in dallas is for the game. it wouldn't be a great trip for all of the students that couldn't afford gas , ticket and hotel room and the students are what make the 12th man loud.

quote:

Also, A&M gets almost no exposure in Dallas. We would get more exposure that week than we would all year. It also tease the media to cover us more the rest of the year. Trust me, we need the exposure to young atheletes in Dallas.

we need exposure, but winning takes care of that. hell, we don't get exposure to the athletes in california, should we move the ou game out to san diego every year? thats a really dumb argument. if theyre from dallas, theyve heard of a&m. and if we win, theyll show more interest here. not if we play in dallas every year and still finish 5-6.

quote:

And finally you can't deny the money-it makes the world go round. There still would be 6 home games to soak up the Kyle field atmosphere.

and 3 or 4 of those home games will be against teams like latech, ulala or the citadel. the kyle field atmosphere is 10x better for games like the tech or texas games, and that is our biggest recruiting advantage right now since we're not winning that many games.

quote:

It appears that much of the oppostition is from people living in Houston, or close to BCS who do not want to travel to Dallas for logistic or personal reasons. Because of course Reliant would be ok. But I think the state fair and need for Dallas exposure would tip the favor for a Dallas game.

it appears that most of the support is from people from dallas who don't want to drive down to cs for the game for logistic or person reasons.

and no reliant is not ok, because it still takes away one of our good home games every other year. play lsu in reliant or arkansas in the cotton bowl and i'd be perfectly fine with it.

[This message has been edited by fgtntexag07 (edited 9/28/2006 10:38a).]
I Drink Your Milkshake
AG
as far as the best stadium in the state, that will change in 09 when arlington is finished, i wouldnt mind playing at that mecca.

admittedly, kyle field does have sentimental value to so many but its nothing more than a concrete eyesore
Fish Pond Manager
quote:
Dr. Gates has said that we're not moving the game, because the students lose out in that kind of thing.

That's it. End of story.

I was present at the Faculty Senate meeting when Gates said this.

He did say that he was opposed to it, but not that he would flat out not let it happen. He was clear that he would entertain discussion on the issue, and if it were clear that it was a good financial move, he would green light it.

The one thing that he did say was that as long as he was president, one source of revenue that was not available to the AD was a reduction in student seating at sporting events.
Gigem314
AG
quote:
Everyone is second class behind UT.

Only in terms of wins...well for some of us at least.

Once again the Aggies biggest problem is not getting it done on the field. We start winning some big games...THAT will give us the exposure we need.

Someone pointed out that we aren't getting exposure to kids in California. So does that mean we need to showcase a game over there? How about we start winning and maybe we can get to the Holiday Bowl...maybe even the Rose Bowl.

You don't think the 'horns got major exposure when they played in their first Rose Bowl a couple of years ago? USC sucked for several years...and finally broke through in '02...don't think they've gotten more exposure as a result?

That's the bigger picture. And I don't think giving up a home game to play tech in Dallas is worth it. We aren't going to get any more national attention playing tech.

Contending for the BCS...now that'll do the trick.

AlexNguyen
Actually, I don't think A&M needs more exposure at all. Just about every kid considering college in Texas has heard of A&M. And the players know all about Aggieland and the 12th Man, also. It's not exposure you need, it's wins (like many have stated).
RootAg
AG
quote:
Keep it at Kyle. How can anyone look at that 12th man, and want to walk away from them?

This is what Dr. Gates sees and the AD does not. BB only sees $$.
sharpdressedman
Yes, it's all about Money. The Aggie fans are pulling out all the stops for the tceh game, and the show of support for the team is awesome.

Fran is standing at the edge of the cliff. Soooooo much has been made of this game, the momentum will grow positively with a win, or come crashing down on Fran with a loss.

More and higher quality wins are what we need, and BB won't let Fran get in the way next year if dramatic improvements aren't achieved the rest of this season.
rpntex
i am still against the move because it will help tech much more than it will help us. games against tech at kyle get over 80K fans, and over $4 mil. i dont know how much tech makes from a game in lubbock, but it has to be less.

Tech makes about $2.5 mil when the Ags come to town. A&M may make $4 when the game's at Kyle, but the difference here is that the move to Dallas would net both teams $4 mil each year, and not every other year, as it does now at our home stadiums. I don't know where the $4 million figure comes from, but it's what has been thrown around. It would benefit Tech more than A&M, but to say it would not benefit A&M at all is short-sighted.

That being said, I do not want the game moved. If the figures being thrown around are accurate, it would be great for Tech. It would be bad, however, for the community, to take the revenue generated from hotels, restaurants, shopping, etc. out of the community on what is our biggest game of that particular season.

The most intimidated I have ever felt was as a freshman, the first time I witnessed a TTU-A&M game at Kyle Field. Even though I was the "enemy", it was a memorable experience. I'd hate to see that taken away, just as I'd hate for Lubbock to lose out on what we get when the Ags come to town.

RP
JW
AG
I agree that A&M should be paid more that tech. %age based on home game revenue.
JW
AG
Also student cost is bunk. They would ride together, stay with family, friends, graduates, etc.

And we definitely need exposure in North Texas. Maybe winning does that, but this game would also.
Gigem314
AG
quote:
Fran is standing at the edge of the cliff. Soooooo much has been made of this game, the momentum will grow positively with a win, or come crashing down on Fran with a loss.

Agreed.
agracer
AG
quote:
In addition there are a bunch of fans with money that can't get good seats to the home games since they are sold out

I don't know if this has been address, but this is BS at Kyle field. Tickets can be easily found.
McInnis 03
AG
So Gates was very much against the move. Thanks for taking that stance Mr. Secretary!
94DCAg
AG
Good find. God bless him for this.

I hope BB et al respect his wishes.
WestTxAg06
AG
Now that we know they are true, Ranger's claims of Dr. Gates' adamant stance against the move speak even more volumes about how much we should value his service to our University.
MPython43
I love Gates calling himself a "tough SOB". That's awesome.
agz win
AG
How do we make sure Byrne and Fran know Gates' stance and that we know, too?
etmydst
mts6175
AG
quote:
1. Selfish business owners in the respective communities.
That's the most assinine statement I've read yet.
Austin_Aggie_13
Awesome. Glad to know that Dr. Gates and I were of like mind on this issue.

Unfortunately, he did say that he stood pretty much alone on this one.
WestAustinAg
AG
tt and A&M in Dallas -- NEVER!
EVA3
AG
Please no to tceh in Dallas.
JBAggie00
quote:
Unfortunately, he did say that he stood pretty much alone on this one

If anything moves forward on tech in Dallas, we ALL need to unleash absolute hell on Byrne and Gates' replacement.
Verne Lundquist
AG
quote:
Ranger - Thanks for the info and the good word. Dr. Gates has been wonderful for our university and he should know that he does not stand alone.

dang, watchole did know!
Jim Benson 63
AG
Unfortunately, I believe the tt game in Dallas will happen.

It will happen because our ath dept is in serious financial difficulty and we cannot say no to an event that puts millions in our pockets.

Another issue is that going without playing in Lubbutt, where we have not won since 93, may be a good thing. Games at Kyle have been close. Games in Lubbutt have been blowouts in 03 and 05. Based on the scores I think we gain more than we lose by eliminating the Lubbutt factor.
Zack Attack
This is an absolutely HORRIBLE idea. The reason we don't win in Lubbock is that our teams have been uninspired and mediocre, not that their crappy little stadium is too intimidating.

I have a million reasons I hate this idea, but here are the two main ones.

1)As someone said before, it would say to the world that our chief rival is Tech. I am not one of the "tech is not a rival" people, I think they are our No 2 rival. My whole family went there, so to me they are 1A, next to tu. But this legitimizes them, and we don't want that.

2) Most importantly, it positions both A&M and Tech as little brothers to tu and OU, by trying to imitate their decades old rivalry game in the same freaking stadium. This is unacceptable to me, and I hope to most of us.

If you ahve to have it in a neutral city, it shouldn't be Dallas. Maybe San Antonio, or since we're desperate to sell out, maybe DKR is open?

I really really really hate this idea, and I think this is the first time I've used the little mad face.
Randy03
AG
quote:
WatchOle posted 10:51p, 09/27/06

Ranger - Thanks for the info and the good word. Dr. Gates has been wonderful for our university and he should know that he does not stand alone.

Yep it seems that Brandon did know since at least late September.
10thYrSr
Hard to refute credit card info...
kb2001
AG
ranger65 is not a paying poster. His stars were added about 9:30pm tonight, about an hour after the "break out". Also in that thread (the break-out thread), Brandon said he's known for a few months.
brandonh
AG
As long as Dr. Gates is here, it will not be moved...

So now what?
whasty
AG
I don't like the idea of moving the tech game to Dallas but I'm not opposed to having a standing October game in the Cotton Bowl.

If we do this, I think the prime candidate for the game is Arkansas. I think that would benefit both schools.
Tex117
AG
Yea, Yea, we are a Second tier RRS

For the love of everything good in this world, I hope we don't move the game.

Lets play LSU in Houston every year. Now that my friends is where legends would be born.

WestTxAg06
AG
I think a game somewhere (Cotton Bowl, Alamodome, Reliant) against rotating opponents like Arkansas or LSU would be great, and maybe restore some old rivalries and state v. state hatred of each other.

But like Gates, I just don't want a second-tier Red River Shootout with Tech. Such a game would NEVER be able to escape that stigma.
f2foxes2001
AG
If tceh wants to play their home game in Dallas, then fine, they can move it to Dallas. We don't need to give in to them and we don't need a knock off of the RRS. We keep our game at Kyle and keep our money and they can play up there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.