Aggie Track and Field Recruiting News

189,048 Views | 1128 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by taylorswift13_
taylorswift13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Way to go!! That's great progress!!
TRM
AG
Wonder if he'll give both sports a try like Bryce.

taylorswift13
AG
I saw those results this morning and thought the same thing!!! Those numbers are impressive and his growth each season and each meet is just as impressive! I bet he goes 65+ and 200+ this season!!
triniaggie
AG

https://instagr.am/p/CqBlyAwOOb8
triniaggie
AG

Three new signees out of College Station High School

Elnita Green
100m - 11.53
200m - 23.92

Kylie McRaven (Coach McRaven Daughter)
300m hurdles - 47.43
800m - 2.31.50

Maddie Jones
800m - 2.21.69
1600m - 5.09.32
3200 - 11.07.19
triniaggie
AG

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cq82R0gtNIX/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y

taylorswift13
AG
Hmmmmm i feel like Kylie McRaven had an inside leg into the program
triniaggie
AG
I think also she was more a soccer player who got more into track the last couple of years
TRM
AG
McRaven tore an ACL, so she missed about a year of action.
TRM
AG
Also, we treat everyone so horribly that we have 3 of our coaches' daughters on the team.
taylorswift13
AG
And 2 pairs of javelin sisters next year as well
94chem
taylorswift13 said:

Way to go!! That's great progress!!

2:14.64 and district 21 champ, along with her team today. Headed to Tulsa.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
taylorswift13
AG
DOUBLE CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND YOUR DAUGHTER! Tulsa is a great running program! And she's also peaking at the right time!! She's ready to roll!
triniaggie
AG
It has started
Kai Greaves Banks has decommitted from Texas A&M

https://instagr.am/p/CrBMiperUze
taylorswift13
AG
I saw this coming, it's okay we have Areyvon Davis who's a infinitely better hurdler
JimPat33
AG
We have a female sprint transfer coming in as well starting next fall. Should add really good depth and help relays. Will essentially have all four years of eligibility left. Interested to see how she develops. Should be announced on Monday or next week. We really do need to work on a track and field NIL that would offset academic scholarships that other schools (Arkansas) can give out. We should be able to cover kids cost to go to school, don't have to make money. Just enough to cover most of the cost of actual tuition, room, board. Missing a tireless recruiter on staff as well.

JPD
JimPat33
AG
Congrats on your daughter!

Not that she would want to go anyways, but do you feel like she was recruited very hard to ATM?
triniaggie
AG
I was wondering if any of the recruiters attended the Carifta Games in Bahamas last weekend. There were so many good athletes competing and some really good times and marks and a great opportunity for recruiting
taylorswift13
AG
Very great points!! We do need to step it all up! Maybe have one staff member solely focused on recruiting and NIL
taylorswift13
AG
Can't wait to see the recruit you're alluding to!
94chem
JimPat33 said:

Congrats on your daughter!

Not that she would want to go anyways, but do you feel like she was recruited very hard to ATM?
I think she got a letter inviting her to a little shindig or something last year, but she was studying abroad. I asked what it was on here. I believe taylorswift or one of you other helpful folks said it was a departmental mass mailer. She has never been contacted formally.

Apologies for diverting this thread, but it seems we're getting back to A&M recruiting, so apology retracted

A&M has a ton of athletes. On the women's side, they have 18 full scholarships. I don't know how they can break those down, but if it's anything like baseball used to be, these things get parsed into really strange amounts. Maybe there's a total pot equal to 18x the NCAA cost of attendance. I don't know. Further, that's spread among 5 classes, and it includes cross country and track. So now we're talking what - 4 total scholarships per class year? This is what - ~$160,000 for 20+ women?

Now consider what Aggie fans want. We only care about national championships. You have to be an absolute stud to finish second in the conference in the 800. LSU has a 2:00 flat runner, for example. And of course we've all heard of Athing Mu. So, that 2nd place in the conference isn't sniffing a regional title, and likely won't point at NCAA's. How much is that athlete worth to you? I know the answer - nothing. It's like the NBA - you pay LeBron and Luka 20x what the rest of the guys make, and to tell the truth, they're actually underpaid.

Now here's a problem. You take an 18 YO HS senior who runs a 4:40 mile, and if she stays healthy, that's somebody who will be a national force. You take a 5 minute miler, and the verdict is unknown. You can watch progressions, you can look at 5K times, etc., but you have NO WAY of knowing if she's better than another 5:15 miler after 2 years in the college weight room. Same uncertainty with 800 runners. In HS, the 800 runners are (mostly) XC girls who happen to have some good speed. In college, those girls become milers, and the 800 runners are sprinters who have the juice to add an extra lap. How do you know how much footspeed that HS 800 stud has, when she hasn't run off a block in years?

Long story short, I assume there's no real money available unless you're a national level athlete, so you have to focus on the academic side first. Fortunately, this one is getting her money for academics, and just happens to be a D1 runner, which explains why dad has been largely clueless on the whole recruiting thing.

FINALLY, AND ALL CAPS INTENDED, I'M NOT HERE TO SAY ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT ANY RECRUITMENT OR LACK THEREOF BY ANY PROGRAM. I'M PROUD OF MY GIRL, AND I HAVE A TON OF RESPECT FOR ALL OF THE COACHES I'VE MET.

I took up running 5 years ago myself, and the science of the individual machine, the training for specific events, the psychology, the toughness...as a practicing scientist, I find it a very interesting diversion, and I appreciate the insights of those here, as well as the people of the H&F forum.

94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
taylorswift13
AG
Natalie Cook apparently is taking a visit to UCLA this weekend!
94chem
taylorswift13 said:

Natalie Cook apparently is taking a visit to UCLA this weekend!
That'll keep the parents out of the weekend plans.
94chem,
triniaggie
AG
Jada Campos to the Aggies

https://instagr.am/p/CrT7UQTvB86
taylorswift13
AG
Wanted her so bad last year! I'm glad she's coming back home! She's great!
triniaggie
AG
Jade Johnson transfer from Sam Houston State
Long Jump - 19-7
Triple Jump - 42-6

https://instagr.am/p/Cr6iFiUgh3x
taylorswift13
AG
A triple jumper! Yes!!!
taylorswift13
AG
She jumped that indoors to win conference! And jumped the exact same mark to win the 6A state title last year!
Guest Commenter
I just found out about her; she was high school #2 in the nation last year out of Houston Humble Creek HS.
How we got her after 1 semester is unknown to me. She was # 34 indoors in NCAA last semester and now we have her. Any details on how and why she became available then please pass along. Great pickup!
triniaggie
AG
Official Visit of South Plain high jumper Kudak Chadenga a 2.26m (7-05) high jumper from Zimbabwe. He has visited 5 SEC schools.
This would be a great pick up especially having Ushan Pererra

https://instagr.am/p/CsG7jwarQCu
YaBoyBP
Here's some of Carlie Weiser's throws I got at the state meet! Includes her best one during discus
taylorswift13
AG
Thanks Mr Peck!
triniaggie
AG
Dower Powell - 10.34 in 100m and 21.78 for 200m.
Nephew of Asafa Powell

https://instagr.am/p/CshQtDFvdzc
taylorswift13
AG
Wow! I'll take those genes anyday! Lots of room to grow and improve! Nice to see the Powell family trusts A&M
triniaggie
AG
Omarion Ferguson. 10.53 and 21.00 PBs in 100m and 200m. 14.46 in 110m hurdles

https://instagr.am/p/CrKXp2rNFKW

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.