Women's Tennis 2023/2024

126,785 Views | 1750 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Aggie Tennis
aggiedrjdub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess we have to start over. Our forum was removed for some reason (or I'm just blind and overlooking it). Bummer - oh well, Gig'em!
Ag4eva95
You're right! Not sure what happened. But just to recap, current lineup predictions??
aggiesherpa
AG
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Mary plays #1. Then the rest falls like this?

2. Nicole
3. Mia
4. Lucciana
5. Daria
6. Jeanette/Sydney

Or do we expect Lucciana to be higher?
Ag4eva95
I think this is accurate, pending any late spring additions. Lucciana is the wild card, I think she could play 2 or 3, but not sure how she adjusts. But I do think she starts at 4
Anchorhold
15 DAYS

VERY UNEDUCATED LINEUP GUESS:

Mary
Nicole
Mia
Lucciana
Daria
Jeanette

M&M
Nicole & Lucciana
Jeanette & Sydney
aggiesherpa
AG
I would love to see that Daria has taken a huge step in development to climb to 4, but I'm not sure what her ceiling is. It would be great if she turned into a Jayci who can't be beat at 3/4.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I wish I knew. Mary will be 1 IMO. The rest? No clue. I see how hard Lucciana works and it makes me think we are underestimating her at 4. She may be 3…???
Ag4eva95
But we just don't know how her game translates, how do you drop Mia to 4?

Regarding Daria, after watching her in the fall, I worry about her development in year 2. A lot of the same mistakes/tendencies she had last year and present SO FAR. A lot can happen in a semester, but I worry about our strength against top 10 teams at 5&6 singles
aggiedrjdub
AG
True but I like how Daria strikes thru the ball even when the situation is tense. That will pay off in the long run. Where does she struggle? Against girls that just get the ball back at all costs. Who doesn't struggle against the lame backboards? I think adding a solid approach game and shortening the points at the net will be crucial for those that she plays that just want to grind it out. Lucciana, from what I've seen, can play both styles very well. She is the epitome of an energizer bunny and does not like to lose.
Ag4eva95
Completely agree with you, she hits the hardest ball. But she can't go more than 3-5 balls before making an error. I absolutely think she has all the potential to be a lethal #1 or even a good pro. But the mental side is so far behind I worry if she will have the time to have the two sides catch up, mental + physical. She's only a sophomore, so there's plenty of time.
Aggie Tennis
AG
I still think / hope we add one more.
bigfoot10s
AG
Aggie Tennis said:

I'd be shocked if we add someone this late when literally no one has been talked about.

Selma was a late add, but should have been here in the fall, and was discussed in the fall. There has been zero smoke of someone new. And it would have to be a one semester player, which is difficult to find.
Anchorhold
If you're saying it then I guess that kinda puts that to bed for this year.

Salma's situation may have been rare, but with Shnaider last year and Adrian Boitan "transferring" to Wake Forest after a year and a half as a pro, we could see more one-semester players in the future.
Ag4eva95
As much as I know you are right, I hope you're wrong! Cause we're one player short of a natty and we do have an open scholarship….
bigfoot10s
AG
I hope I am wrong as well, but I don't see it happening this late
Aggie Tennis
AG
bigfoot10s said:

Aggie Tennis said:

I'd be shocked if we add someone this late when literally no one has been talked about.

Selma was a late add, but should have been here in the fall, and was discussed in the fall. There has been zero smoke of someone new. And it would have to be a one semester player, which is difficult to find.

This is very logical. I just keep thinking Mark clearly knows we are one player away and there are many players across the country, as well as international juniors, that could fill that gap.

Even a 10.5/10.6 UTR would be game changing. We will be good either way but lack the depth for Stanford / UNC. Polina and / or Carson at 11+ would have been ideal, but at minimum we need another 10.5+
bigfoot10s
AG
Mark and Jordan definitely know that. It's just so hard to fill a semester spot with that level of a player. It wouldn't be a junior player coming in or an international. It would more than likely be a transfer. It's literally one semester and done.
Aggie Tennis
AG
bigfoot10s said:

Mark and Jordan definitely know that. It's just so hard to fill a semester spot with that level of a player. It wouldn't be a junior player coming in or an international. It would more than likely be a transfer. It's literally one semester and done.

Couldn't it be an international junior? Like a Polina? Scholarship limits become an issue in the fall but coaches deal with that all the time. So many international 18-19 year olds at that level.
aggiedrjdub
AG
bigfoot10s said:

Aggie Tennis said:

The only hope I have is that most of the team still follows Polina and like all of her content. Same with Mark. Might mean nothing but there is a clearly a relationship there.

I think our singles line up will be fine if we are more solid in doubles. That was the killer for us last year, unfortunately.
bigfoot10s
AG
Polina is not coming, she's gone professional and won't look back.
bigfoot10s
AG
I don't think they're gonna be able to convince a high level international junior to come for one semester then who knows what happens. Selling that would be extremely difficult.
Ag4eva95
But the wildcard here is can we expect Mary back next year? I'm not sure how close she is to graduating, but that does greatly change the projection of next years team with scholarships
Signem
Excuse me for asking, but what about Lexington Reed? Has anybody seen her play? How does she stack up against the rest of the girls? Lines 1, 2, 3, and 4 appear to be pretty rock solid, I don't see too much disagreement about that. I didn't get to watch the girls this fall like I have in the past so I can't address Daria's improvement, or for that matter, Giana or Jeanette's. But this girl is coming in "sort of" like Mary. Highly ranked, strong player, Mark is very up about her. Mary started at #3 as a fish, and did remarkable things. If this gal Reed is 1/4 as good as Mary why shouldn't she be someone to look at in the 5, 6 slot?
Anchorhold
I thought she wasn't coming until next year.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Signem said:

Excuse me for asking, but what about Lexington Reed? Has anybody seen her play? How does she stack up against the rest of the girls? Lines 1, 2, 3, and 4 appear to be pretty rock solid, I don't see too much disagreement about that. I didn't get to watch the girls this fall like I have in the past so I can't address Daria's improvement, or for that matter, Giana or Jeanette's. But this girl is coming in "sort of" like Mary. Highly ranked, strong player, Mark is very up about her. Mary started at #3 as a fish, and did remarkable things. If this gal Reed is 1/4 as good as Mary why shouldn't she be someone to look at in the 5, 6 slot?

She joins in the fall. Still finishing up high school.
Ag4eva95
On next years team, depending on a few factors, I see her towards the 5/6 spot, but she's getting better quickly. She will have an impact IMO
Aggie Tennis
AG
bigfoot10s said:

I don't think they're gonna be able to convince a high level international junior to come for one semester then who knows what happens. Selling that would be extremely difficult.

I think it's more recruiting for the long term and then pulling a scholarship in the fall.
aggietennisfan
I'm sure that Mark will or would at least like to bring someone in for one semester. Why wouldn't he? It's just a matter of is there someone available that is good enough to help that has eligibility and wants to come for only one semester. I'm sure he and Jordan are reaching out to the end's of the earth, but it's not that easy of a task. I know that it happened with Salma and kind of with Carson as well, but it's not that easy to keep pulling rabbits out of your hat with all American level players which is what we need. Otherwise, it doesn't do any good to bring in another bottom of the line up type player.
Anchorhold
INCOMPLETE OFFSEASON RECAP

Gone are three former All-Americans (Jayci and Salma graduated / finished eligibility, Carson turned pro).

WHAT'S NEW THIS YEAR?
Assistant Coach:
Taylor Rodgers

Freshmen:
Lucciana Perez

Transfers:
Sydney Fitch (#1 singles and doubles for Air Force last year)
Nicole Khirin (#1 singles and #3 doubles at t.u. last year / beat Michigan's Lily Jones in September)

Back:
Ellie Pittman

CURRENT ROSTER:
Sydney Fitch (5th)
Elise Robbins (Sr.)
Kayal Gownder (Jr.)
Jeanette Mireles (Jr.)
Gianna Pielet (Jr.)
Ellie Pittman (Jr.)
Mary Stoiana (Jr.)
Lizanne Boyer (So.)
Avery Esquivel (So.)
Nicole Khirin (So.)
Mia Kupres (So.)
Daria Smetannikov (So.)
Lucciana Perez (Fr.)
https://12thman.com/sports/womens-tennis/roster

INDOOR FACILITY
A new facility has been announced with six indoor courts is to be built behind Bigshots in Bryan (Welborn and Villa Maria) with a twenty-four month completion schedule.
https://www.bryantx.gov/new-indoor-tennis-and-multipurpose-facility-coming-to-midtown-park/

RANKINGS THAT DON'T MEAN ANYTHING:

I'll update this later, just figured I would get it on the first page of the new thread.
taylorswift13_
Is it crazy to think Lucciana can play number 2! Having Nicole Khirin moving down from her number one spot at UT will mean more success for her! But I really think Lucianna will be a strong asset for us! 1-4 will be strong and it'll hard to find a team that can take 2 or more from us there!

1. Mary Stoiana
2. Lucciana Perez
3. Nicole Khirin
4. Mia Kupres
5. Daria Smetannikov
6. Jeannette Mireles
taylorswift13_
Doubles will be very interesting before and the pairings we experiment with next month will be fun to follow!!
Ag4eva95
Think Lucciana at #2 is a bit over zealous as of now. I don't see her higher than 3. Khirin has a UTR higher than Lucciana and a year in college does some wonders. If Lucciana does come out at #2, damn! But I bet she needs some time to adjust to the daunting spring season and playing #2 has some pressure
bigfoot10s
AG
We need Daria and Jeannette to get over the hump and win some big matches. It'll come down to 4-5-6 more than we want to think it will.
Chapa96
AG
In 2 weeks the season starts. Wishin I was in CA to watch vs San Diego and Stanford. But the Australian Open is where I'll be. I again will be following very closely. If Mary can become a guaranteed 2 points, we are going to be raising several trophies this year. And I plan again to attend the NCAA's to watch it live!
Anchorhold
That's a quick rematch against Tree. Whether we see them again in the championship in Seattle or not, one of those teams is going to be really itching for another one in May.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.