Women's Tennis 2023/2024

176,819 Views | 2439 Replies | Last: 26 min ago by aggiedrjdub
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggiedrjdub said:

Disagree but hope I'm wrong. Edit to say; LP lost - as one other person pointed out - 7 deuce games (many of them after being up 40-0 and 40-15 in the 3rd set alone). That has nothing to do with indoors and everything to do with experience. Similar to Mary not losing the important deuce points late in the 3rd.
I do agree with you that it has a lot to do with experience, but I don't think anyone can know that it has "everything" to do with one particular thing.

I also think it has a lot to do with it being indoors. Lucia is a clay court grinder. That doesn't mean she doesn't have offense, but she's not a serve plus one player (like Vidmanova) that is benefitted by indoors. When you're up in a game or in a match, it's harder to put it away as a grinder on a fast court than it is for players that can strike quickly. It is also not helpful that Lucia or any of our team never gets to practice indoors.
Anchorhold
Tomorrow makes our home winning streak three years. Let's beat up on some Texas teams and then go win the SEC.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Harry Dunne said:

aggiedrjdub said:

Disagree but hope I'm wrong. Edit to say; LP lost - as one other person pointed out - 7 deuce games (many of them after being up 40-0 and 40-15 in the 3rd set alone). That has nothing to do with indoors and everything to do with experience. Similar to Mary not losing the important deuce points late in the 3rd.
I do agree with you that it has a lot to do with experience, but I'm not smug enough to think I know that it has "everything" to do with one particular thing.

I also think it has a lot to do with it being indoors. Lucia is a clay court grinder. That doesn't mean she doesn't have offense, but she's not a serve plus one player (like Vidmanova) that is benefitted by indoors. When you're up in a game or in a match, it's harder to put it away as a grinder on a fast court than it is for players that can strike quickly. It is also not helpful that Lucia or any of our team never gets to practice indoors. There's my logic.

What's your logic for it having "nothing to do with indoors"?

My logic is winners win and don't make excuses. I don't think LP will be using that as excuse for her loss today. I think she will realize she got tight and didn't play the important points well enough. I don't think it affected the outcome of the match that was played today. LP didn't play a serve plus one player. She played a girl from Ukraine that is also more comfortable on clay who literally sliced the serve in and was grinding with rally balls just like she did. Nothing fancy; she waited for mistakes. LP took more chances and it didn't pay off. I watched the match. (She was also hooked on a call and I really think she couldn't recover after that bc it would have put her up 5-3).

These athletes at this level have trained indoors for years. Yes, LP is probably more comfortable on clay; unfortunately there is no national clay court championship for ncaa. And I agree with you about practicing indoors more consistently; that may or may not help. We will see soon enough. That's a very valid point.

Sorry if you think I'm smug. Don't really care honestly. I'm not trying to be overly emotional about it. You think indoors had something to do with it; I don't. No biggie.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
aggiedrjdub
AG
And also, I'm Mary's biggest fan. I think she is amazing indoors and outdoors. She found a way and I agree. She would have won this match.
Harry Dunne
I'm sorry that I said that and you'll see I edited my post. Unfortunately not before you started to reply. We can agree to disagree. I think the result will be different outdoors and like you said, you'll be happy to be wrong if you are.

Aggie Tennis
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

And also, I'm Mary's biggest fan. I think she is amazing indoors and outdoors. She found a way and I agree. She would have won this match.

You have competition for Mary's number 1 fan.

Kidding aside, her greatness was on full display in that 3rd set. Not playing her best, her opponent playing well, and just refused to lose.

Hopefully we get her back next year. This year is feeling more and more like a setup year for a NCAA run next year.

Win a conference title, bring everyone back, add a couple of great players, and win it all next year.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I'm sorry that I said that and you'll see I edited my post. Unfortunately not before you started to reply. We can agree to disagree. I think the result will be different outdoors and like you said, you'll be happy to be wrong if you are.

100000% I think we can beat Georgia. My biggest concern for the rest of the season is lines 2-3 doubles and 5-6 singles. I want them to win so desperately and get their confidence up.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Yes!!! Mary was bouncing up and down and clinching her fist even down 2-5. She never gave any indication that she thought she would lose. I admire her grit. She's special.
Anchorhold
In a reminder of what can happen with injuries <cough San Diego>, UVA blanked North Carolina 4-0 today. Carolina played without Scotty in singles and Brantmeier at all. They lost doubles and courts 4, 5, and 6 in straight sets with none of courts 1, 2, or 3 with a clear lead. Tar heels will start conference play against Florida State on the 23rd.
Harry Dunne
But also not caring that someone thinks you're smug is the definition of a smug.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Harry Dunne said:

But also not caring that someone thinks you're smug is the definition of a smug.

Guilty as charged then I guess lol
Gap
AG
Against the most competitive teams we have played (San Diego, Stanford, Miami, Texas, Auburn, Georgia), below are the singles record of our starting six.

Stoiana 2-1
Khirin 4-2
Kupres 4-2
Perez 2-4
Smetannikov 1-4
Mireles 1-4
Gap
AG
Now doubles against this same group of teams (San Diego, Stanford, Miami, Texas, Auburn, Georgia):

Stoiana / Kupres 3-1
Khirin / Perez 2-3
Fitch / Pielet 0-3
Fitch / Smetannikov 0-1
Mireles / Smetannikov 0-1
aggiedrjdub
AG
Positives from yesterday vs Georgia. Loved seeing Mia just absolutely take care of business against Mel. Not sure if you guys remember the battle between those two athletes last season? Nicole winning at 2 against Georgia gives me a lot of confidence. She's starting to find her rhythm. Mary is just a baller even when she's not at her best; she always finds a way to fight back. She put pressure on Dasha yesterday from 2-5 down in the 3rd, and basically controlled the match from that point forward at the net. You cannot ever count her out. I think LP is going to be fine. After watching her match yesterday, she definitely has the goods to be very special here. The matches she lost are mostly 3 setters. College tennis is just so different. No ad scoring just basically sucks, but you have to adapt. I saw line 2 doubles play one really good match against Auburn, so there is promise there. This season, if we can win a doubles point, I think we will be tough to beat. If we don't, like others have mentioned, it will be an uphill battle. New season, but I think the early season hype had us maybe a bit over zealous? We aren't used to seeing us lose, so that's a tough pill to swallow to have lost so many this early in the season. Still my favorite program to support, mostly because I admire what Mark has done. Hope he can find a way to point us north this season. Gig'em!
Aggie Tennis
AG
Oklahoma State very close to taking the title.

3-3 with one match left. Up 5-2.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Impressive. Definitely didn't think they'd get there before us. Glad it wasn't UNC.

Aggie Tennis
AG
Worth noting that their roster strength came from transfers. Number one came from LSU and number two came from ISU. Like all sports, recruiting has changed.
Faustus
Speaking of, someone needs to update Nicole's wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicole_Khirin
aggiedrjdub
AG
Looks like someone took care of it.
Faustus
Chruchie
AG
Nichole was named SEC Co-player of the week! well deserved. she played exceptionally at indoors. her and mary might be competing for that honor a lot this year.
aggiedrjdub
AG

aggiedrjdub
AG
Anyone going to the match this weekend?
HiddenAg2
Just catching up with this team and wow I didn't expect such a rough start to the season. Doubles is killing this team and the bottom of the lineup is really struggling. I thought we had the best team in the country before the season. Weaver needs to figure some things out quick.
Signem
I heard the "Sign Guy" couldn't make it this weekend. That's going to take some of the fun out of the stands.
DevinHester_GoBears1
Signem said:

I heard the "Sign Guy" couldn't make it this weekend. That's going to take some of the fun out of the stands.

Thank goodness. Can finally enjoy an afternoon tennis match without hearing "Break it like a bad habit!!!" and "Give it to me, girl!!!" every other point. However, I will miss when one of our players goes on a run and he says "that's 11 points in a row, now get 12", I always enjoy a refresher on how to count
Aggie Tennis
AG
Back in action. Let's get doubles and bottom of the lineup sorted.

Anchorhold

I respect the prediction
Chapa96
AG
Doubles lineups are switched...hmmmm. Lets find what works before SEC.
aggiesherpa
AG
***NEW DOUBLES PAIRING ALERT***

2. Mireles/Perez
3. Fitch/Khirin
aggiesherpa
AG
Chapa96 said:

Beat me to it. I didn't refresh the page before posting
Chapa96
AG
aggiesherpa said:

Chapa96 said:

Beat me to it. I didn't refresh the page before posting
Happens to all of us....
aggiedrjdub
AG
Wow! How did they look? I like this mixup!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Khirin / Fitch at 3 is solid. How did line 2 look? Mireles Perez is kind of shocking, but I like it!
Aggie Tennis
AG
Dominating.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.