Get the Vax

50,864 Views | 659 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Sapper Redux
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I believe God gives us common sense and the ability to rationally determine what makes sense. Fwiw, a lot of posts non believers make are insane. Especially to believers. So there is that..
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Quad Dog
AG
dermdoc said:

I believe God gives us common sense and the ability to rationally determine what makes sense. Fwiw, a lot of posts non believers make are insane. Especially to believers. So there is that..

And just as equal many posts by believers are insane viewed by non believers.
dermdoc
AG
Quad Dog said:

dermdoc said:

And just as equal many posts by believers are insane viewed by non believers.
Agree. I was responding to Duncan Idaho's link to the post considered insane.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
schmendeler
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

dermdoc said:

Quad Dog said:

Sorry, I assumed you didn't treat based on your previous post.
You're a lucky one then. I wouldn't advice anyone to use your experience as the norm.
I do not think it is "luck". I believe it is God's favor and protection. Sure use common sense. But I am not changing my life or living in fear.

We have a sign on our office door that I will take a picture and share later.

Says COVID "Christ Over Viruses and Infectious Diseases".

So what was your thought process when you decided to get vaccinated?

God's protection was time limited?
You lost your faith in God's protection?
God's test of your faith was over?
I have faith in God's protection but who said it can't use a little help?

I thought posts like the one linked below were insane and couldn't understand how they could get so wrong logically and theologically. Now I understand.

https://texags.com/forums/15/topics/3240818/replies/60512798

Odds that the author of the linked post owns a gun for self-defense? I'm going to guess 100%.
Sb1540
kurt vonnegut said:

Orthodox Texan said:

Quad Dog said:

dermdoc said:

Quad Dog said:

You're a lucky one then. I wouldn't advice anyone to use your experience as the norm.
I do not think it is "luck". I believe it is God's favor and protection. Sure use common sense. But I am not changing my life or living in fear.

Must be nice to have God's favor and protection. Guess you are doing something right that 5 million dead people worldwide aren't. That's not including the huge number of infected who faced or are still having serious symptoms. Did they all not have God's favor?
"If God is real then why does bad stuff happen"- Big Brain

Disregard the question all you want, but the problem with 'evil' has never been considered trivial.

If you want to live by "Jesus take the wheel", then that is fine by me. But if your car crashes and kills someone else because no one's driving, then I think this 'God's favor and protection' is worth discussing. Similarly, if you oppose the vaccine and masks, then I can respect your position. But if you happen to spread the virus to people that die from it while simply relying on God's protection, then I think an intelligent discussion should be had about what responsibility, if any, we humans have toward ensuring our actions do not accidentally cause harm to others in our community.

What responsibility to your neighbor do you have to ensure you are not endangering them by your actions. Any action can be potentially dangerous. Driving to work, I am endangering others. But I can take reasonable precautions like drive safely, ignore distractions, don't drink and drive. . .

It upsets me when I see people talk about how they are young and healthy and that this justifies them not taking precautions. If I get covid, I'll be fine. I worry about my parents, my wife's parents, wife's grandparents, my coworkers. We all have people that are higher risk. Don't we give a **** about these people?
Theres a lot of suffering, pain, and death in the Christian world. Even with God Himself. That's kind of the whole point. If you need a place to start read Job.

"Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death"

Dying as a baby, 40 years old with a family, or 90 from old age isn't the point. If you're alive then repent and strive to be more like Christ. If a loved one has passed then leave that to God and grieve. You will never understand Christianity as a materialist. Your framework already assumes nothing past death.

You cannot enforce this type of control without push back. Restricting a humans movement in the world based primarily on vaccination status will lead to war. Do you realize how ridiculous it would be to judge your neighbor on vaccination status and try to connect that with potential deaths? Good luck with that. That's a real quick way to lose a relationship. That level of control is insane. Might as well go ahead with what the Pentagon is testing and have constant surveillance of our health. Can't wait for medical fascism! Yay!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/last-pandemic-science-military-60-minutes-2021-04-11/
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Theres a lot of suffering, pain, and death in the Christian world. Even with God Himself. That's kind of the whole point. If you need a place to start read Job.

Dying as a baby, 40 years old with a family, or 90 from old age isn't the point. If you're alive then repent and strive to be more like Christ. If a loved one has passed then leave that to God and grieve. You will never understand Christianity as a materialist. Your framework already assumes nothing past death.
Guess I can quit my job and go be a writer or a pilot or something. After all, suffering and death are ordained and integral to Christianity. And apparently taking reasonable steps to prevent that is bad for some reason. Does that make me evil? Can I say I went to evil medical school?

Macarthur
Yeah, I don't know how far you're going to get trying to convince the non-believers by using the Book of Job.
dermdoc
AG
schmendeler said:

Duncan Idaho said:

dermdoc said:

Quad Dog said:

I thought posts like the one linked below were insane and couldn't understand how they could get so wrong logically and theologically. Now I understand.

Odds that the author of the linked post owns a gun for self-defense? I'm going to guess 100%.
If it makes you feel better, I project and have caricature pictures in my mind of libs also.

Glad to see you do the same.
Rongagin71
AG
Macarthur said:

Yeah, I don't know how far you're going to get trying to convince the non-believers by using the Book of Job.
I think you have a point, Job is pretty obviously a story, a fantasy, IMHO.
I've never been convinced that "God is Love" and might point to Job as proof.
There may be a God/Allah, but why he would care whether a particular human
body is alive or dead makes no sense to me if we, like the deity, have eternity.
Some try to explain that because Jesus experienced human life, that he can explain our prayers to his father, but this runs into the problem of "if human life is so important, why did we kill Jesus?"
kurt vonnegut
AG
Orthodox Texan said:

kurt vonnegut said:

Orthodox Texan said:

Quad Dog said:

dermdoc said:

Quad Dog said:

Must be nice to have God's favor and protection. Guess you are doing something right that 5 million dead people worldwide aren't. That's not including the huge number of infected who faced or are still having serious symptoms. Did they all not have God's favor?
"If God is real then why does bad stuff happen"- Big Brain

Disregard the question all you want, but the problem with 'evil' has never been considered trivial.

If you want to live by "Jesus take the wheel", then that is fine by me. But if your car crashes and kills someone else because no one's driving, then I think this 'God's favor and protection' is worth discussing. Similarly, if you oppose the vaccine and masks, then I can respect your position. But if you happen to spread the virus to people that die from it while simply relying on God's protection, then I think an intelligent discussion should be had about what responsibility, if any, we humans have toward ensuring our actions do not accidentally cause harm to others in our community.

What responsibility to your neighbor do you have to ensure you are not endangering them by your actions. Any action can be potentially dangerous. Driving to work, I am endangering others. But I can take reasonable precautions like drive safely, ignore distractions, don't drink and drive. . .

It upsets me when I see people talk about how they are young and healthy and that this justifies them not taking precautions. If I get covid, I'll be fine. I worry about my parents, my wife's parents, wife's grandparents, my coworkers. We all have people that are higher risk. Don't we give a **** about these people?

You cannot enforce this type of control without push back. Restricting a humans movement in the world based primarily on vaccination status will lead to war. Do you realize how ridiculous it would be to judge your neighbor on vaccination status and try to connect that with potential deaths? Good luck with that. That's a real quick way to lose a relationship. That level of control is insane. Might as well go ahead with what the Pentagon is testing and have constant surveillance of our health. Can't wait for medical fascism! Yay!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/last-pandemic-science-military-60-minutes-2021-04-11/

I don't think anything you typed really address my question.

I do not have any issue with individuals who wish to put their health or well being into God's hands. There is a problem of responsibility that arises when putting your life in God's hands affects others. In the case of a pandemic, are we as individuals solely and exclusively responsible for ourselves? Or do we have any responsibility to our community?

I am not arguing that everyone must wear masks, get vaccinated, and take the same precautions as me. I am asking if the position that says that "I'm young and healthy, so why should I give a damn" is selfish and short sighted. And I'm asking if the position that states "We should rely on God's protection rather than take measures ourselves" is an abdication of personal responsibility toward our neighbors.

I'm not arguing for certain laws or mandates. I am not saying we should condemn our neighbors for their actions. And I have not argued for medical fascism.

I am genuinely curious about this from the religious side.

kurt vonnegut
AG
dermdoc said:

schmendeler said:

If it makes you feel better, I project and have caricature pictures in my mind of libs also.

I'm sorry if I'm picking on you in this thread. . . . but isn't this a bad thing, what you've described above? That you have caricature pictures in your head of liberals just tells me you don't know any liberals. I can just about guarantee you that I do not fit into those caricatures.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Rongagin71 said:

Macarthur said:

body is alive or dead makes no sense to me if we, like the deity, have eternity.
Some try to explain that because Jesus experienced human life, that he can explain our prayers to his father, but this runs into the problem of "if human life is so important, why did we kill Jesus?"
My response to this is that we have ample evidence that God loves each of us deeply. We also have ample evidence that God gives very little value to the comfort or even the lives of humans. These two things are not mutually exclusive
dermdoc
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

dermdoc said:

schmendeler said:

I'm sorry if I'm picking on you in this thread. . . . but isn't this a bad thing, what you've described above? That you have caricature pictures in your head of liberals just tells me you don't know any liberals. I can just about guarantee you that I do not fit into those caricatures.
I know a ton of liberals. Went to Baylor College of Medicine which was composed primarily of West and East coast super libs. And academic medicine is not full of conservatives.

The only thing that saved me was my sense of humor and my ability to be smarter and work harder than them.

I was made fun of in a grudgingly admiring way.

Funny story, when I ran Derm grand rounds at Baylor and Derm resident interview candidates were there, on of the other attending warned all the young libs to disregard my hick accent and demeanor. He is smart as a whip, do not let him fool you.

My sister and brother in law are huge libs.

I was kind of making a joke, but do not think I do not know a lot of libs. I understand who and what libs are and disagree with them. Like them and get along with them in real life. Just disagree.

Another story, Jack Brooks, the very liberal former Congressman, lived down the street from us. I was very reluctantly thrust into the role of HOA. And they would not let me leave. Year after year.

Jack would bring little signs that said keep me as HOA President to the meetings. And we agreed on nothing politically and both knew it. He would bring me home made venison sausage and smoke cigars with me on our front porch laughing about our differences but our respect for each other.
dermdoc
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Rongagin71 said:

Macarthur said:

My response to this is that we have ample evidence that God loves each of us deeply. We also have ample evidence that God gives very little value to the comfort or even the lives of humans. These two things are not mutually exclusive
Agree.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Fair enough - chalk that one up to misunderstanding your tone or being over sensitive.
dermdoc
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Fair enough - chalk that one up to misunderstanding your tone or being over sensitive.

I am definitely not sensitive.
Rongagin71
AG
dermdoc said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Rongagin71 said:

Macarthur said:

Agree.
The question of if God is love then why does he allow this, that, and the other thing
has already been brought up on this thread. It is an old question.
dermdoc
AG
Depends on how you understand agape love.
kurt vonnegut
AG
oh - to be clear, I was suggesting that I was the over sensitive one.
dermdoc
AG
I re read your post and see that now.

No worries friend. And it is basically impossible to offend me.
schmendeler
AG
dermdoc said:

schmendeler said:

Duncan Idaho said:

dermdoc said:

Quad Dog said:

That wasn't a caricature. Do you disagree that most conservative Christian Aggies probably own a gun?

Perhaps he doesn't. If he does, though, do you not see an inconsistency there?
dermdoc
AG
schmendeler said:

dermdoc said:

schmendeler said:

Duncan Idaho said:

dermdoc said:

Quad Dog said:

That wasn't a caricature. Do you disagree that most conservative Christian Aggies probably own a gun?

Perhaps he doesn't. If he does, though, do you not see an inconsistency there?
Oh I see your point. Sorry sometimes I am slow.

I personally do not think it is a very good analogy as owning a gun for protection against bad guys seems very different than putting your trust in God against a virus rather than a vaccine.

But I do not think like an atheist/agnostic so there is that.
Rongagin71
AG
So, has it been long enough for the horrible effects of 106.000 non-masked football fans locking arms in time with "saw varsities horns off" to show up?
Cause yesterday A&M had 109,000 doing the same thing.
Statistics are fine, but direct observation is better, and masks just aren't making ant observable difference in the general population at this time. Maybe after the usual winter uptick in virus activity?
Zobel
AG
Who is this directed at?
Rongagin71
AG
Sapper knows, but I'm not picky.
Repeat the Line
Ooooops......

https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/amp/cal-football-covid-outbreak-44-cases-berkeley-16608097.php
PacifistAg
AG
Smiling when there's an outbreak of a virus that has killed 750,000 people in the US alone, because politics.
Repeat the Line
PacifistAg said:

Smiling when there's an outbreak of a virus that has killed 750,000 people in the US alone, because politics.

Tap the brakes. You're being overly dramatic. The Cal football team that was 99% vaxxed isn't dying. They'll all likely recover soon from their flu-like symptoms. We should probably cancel the 1 or 2 unvaccinated players though, because they made everyone else's vaccine not work.
PacifistAg
AG
SEATAC Aggie said:

PacifistAg said:

Tap the brakes. You're being overly dramatic. The Cal football team that was 99% vaxxed isn't dying. They'll all likely recover soon from their flu-like symptoms. We should probably cancel the 1 or 2 unvaccinated players though, because they made everyone else's vaccine not work.

It's not being overly dramatic to be critical of someone who smiles when others get sick. Especially when the sickness has killed 750,000 in the US. I know these players will likely be fine, but that's not the point. They have parents, grandparents, they may have classes with immuno-compromised students.

Finding joy, satisfaction, or some sense of happiness in the sickness of others is antichrist.
Repeat the Line
PacifistAg said:

SEATAC Aggie said:

PacifistAg said:

It's not being overly dramatic to be critical of someone who smiles when others get sick. Especially when the sickness has killed 750,000 in the US. I know these players will likely be fine, but that's not the point. They have parents, grandparents, they may have classes with immuno-compromised students.

Finding joy, satisfaction, or some sense of happiness in the sickness of others is antichrist.

I find no joy in their sickness and apologize if it came across as such. I'm simply hoping for an explanation from the OP, yourself, or someone like minded.
Rongagin71
AG
SEATAC Aggie said:

PacifistAg said:

Har de har-har. Who likes sarcasm?
Me...sometimes.
It can be offensive, even when it is meant as irony, but this is pretty good.
AGC
AG
PacifistAg said:

SEATAC Aggie said:

PacifistAg said:

Eh, when everything's life or death the idea of death loses its meaning. Affirm TGs or they'll commit suicide. If we don't stop climate change we're going to die. Defund the police to save BIPOC lives. Get the vax so no one dies.

And dishonest stats all the way round really take the wind out of the sails of these claims. I assume we're still counting the homicide victims in there? Or have we cleaned up our numbers?

Your post is overly dramatic and I say that as someone with multiple immunocompromised individuals in my family. You're creating an environment of anxiety and fear by making every unknown person a potential threat and putting the burden of their lives on each individual in society. This is not something that is mentally healthy to do, nor is it Christlike.

Edit 2: you are just as likely to kill those people despite the vaccination, only you wont know you should be isolating yourself since you've suppressed the symptoms. It's not even plausible deniability at this point.
PacifistAg
AG
88Warrior
SEATAC Aggie said:

PacifistAg said:

SEATAC Aggie said:

PacifistAg said:

I find no joy in their sickness and apologize if it came across as such. I'm simply hoping for an explanation from the OP, yourself, or someone like minded.

No need to apologize…I understood your intent the first time I read it..I didn't read it as you wishing ill on anyone.…
PacifistAg
AG
SEATAC Aggie said:

PacifistAg said:

SEATAC Aggie said:

PacifistAg said:

This is disingenuous, at best. You asked for no explanation. All you said was "ooops......" with a smiley face. That's not inviting further dialogue. That's some nearly gleeful attempt at spiking a football. This isn't the F16 cesspool. Seeing as this is the Religion and Philosophy board, and most here (myself included) are Christians (if you are not a Christian, my apologies for holding you to a standard you've never agreed to), my objection was the spirit in which the comment was made in light of the fact that you are using a virus that has killed hundreds of thousands to try and score absurd political points.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.