Get the Vax

51,257 Views | 659 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Sapper Redux
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dermdoc said:

Goodbull_19 said:

Does this really belong on the religion and philosophy forum? Unless we are getting into the philosophy of our duty (or lack thereof) to compel others' actions for the common good of society... Or the philosophy of whether one has a societal duty to protect his neighbors... I struggle to understand why this video was posted on this forum.

This has become the safe haven of liberals.

Sad.

See! Proof leftism IS a religion!
Repeat the Line
OP what strategies should we implement to combat the highly mutated Omicron variant?
Repeat the Line
Coronabros gone silent on this one???
Zobel
AG
Vaccination is the best arrow in the quiver, including for omicron.
Howdy Dammit
AG
They are waiting for booster #8 to come out before they can issue a rebuttal statement.
PacifistAg
AG
Zobel said:

Vaccination is the best arrow in the quiver, including for omicron.
Yep. I just got my booster.
Zobel
AG
Effectiveness of BNT162b2 Vaccine against Omicron Variant in South Africa

Here efficacy is an odds ratio against hospitalization, and the efficacy was found to be 70%.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2119270
PacifistAg
AG
Great video on the teenage boys/myocarditis "study".

https://www.tiktok.com/@dr.eric.b/video/7019652380144782598
Howdy Dammit
AG
You tiktok link shows your name. Not sure if that bothers you or not, just FYI
PacifistAg
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

You tiktok link shows your name. Not sure if that bothers you or not, just FYI
Weird, but thanks. Hope the new link is better.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Yeah. That's one is good
PacifistAg
AG
Thanks for looking out! Very much appreciated.
Repeat the Line
Have you scientifically astute gents vetted this thread with the Pfizer CEO? Guessing not.
chimpanzee
Frankly, I don't think there's good enough data to conclude too much. Pfizer CEO comments notwithstanding, efficacy calculations are a bit of art, a bit of GIGO, and a bit of finger on the scale and "we're not showing you the full data, but trust us."

bayesian datacrime: defining vaccine efficacy into existence (substack.com)
Zobel
AG
Are you capable of putting forward a cogent argument? Guessing not.
PacifistAg
AG
What were the Pfizer CEO's comments?
Zobel
AG
Fortunately the pivotal phase 3 clinical trials are not the only data we have. We also have structured studies (test negative designs) that don't have the same flaws as casually using Our World In Data. The article is correct, but the broad conclusions are not.
chimpanzee
Zobel said:

Fortunately the pivotal phase 3 clinical trials are not the only data we have. We also have structured studies (test negative designs) that don't have the same flaws as casually using Our World In Data. The article is correct, but the broad conclusions are not.
The data is not good enough to form conclusions, and what data there are is accessible in fits and starts.

There are no clinical trials for what is being recommended.
Zobel
AG
This seems to be too broad to be correct.

What's the problem with this paper, for example?
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01548-7

The premise is kind of tails we win heads you lose. If it takes ~14 days for the vaccine to be effective, how else can you measure vaccine efficacy except after 14 days? And it's not arbitrary - in the 14 day window the vaccine and control group case growth match, and diverge after. The critique of the weakness is correct. The conclusion that we can't know anything isn't.

Here's Pfizer's release on their booster study. The window for vaccine effect was 7 days, not 14.
https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-phase-3-trial-data-showing
chimpanzee
Zobel said:

This seems to be too broad to be correct.

What's the problem with this paper, for example?
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01548-7

The premise is kind of tails we win heads you lose. If it takes ~14 days for the vaccine to be effective, how else can you measure vaccine efficacy except after 14 days? And it's not arbitrary - in the 14 day window the vaccine and control group case growth match, and diverge after. The critique of the weakness is correct. The conclusion that we can't know anything isn't.

Here's Pfizer's release on their booster study. The window for vaccine effect was 7 days, not 14.
https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-phase-3-trial-data-showing

The problem is a pronounced increase in infections in the days (7 or 14) following the injections as compared to not getting it at all and classifying that increase of infections in such a way that it makes the booster look more effective rather than less.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Vaccines still seem to be helpful against Omicron, but we're honestly getting into influenza and flu shot territory with this strain, both with the effectiveness of vaccines and the severity of the virus. Really the only thing making Omicron worse than the flu on a broad scale is just how contagious it is, and the vaccine really doesn't seem to affect that very much. An omicron specific vaccine would likely prevent infection and transmission very well, but it looks like it won't be ready until March at the earliest. That will probably be too late to make any major difference.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sapper Redux
ramblin_ag02 said:

Vaccines still seem to be helpful against Omicron, but we're honestly getting into influenza and flu shot territory with this strain, both with the effectiveness of vaccines and the severity of the virus. Really the only thing making Omicron worse than the flu on a broad scale is just how contagious it is, and the vaccine really doesn't seem to affect that very much. An omicron specific vaccine would likely prevent infection and transmission very well, but it looks like it won't be ready until March at the earliest. That will probably be too late to make any major difference.

Assuming there are now animal reservoirs, I would assume the new Omicron shot would be extremely important moving forward to prevent further epidemic outbreaks.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I guess it depends on how long Omicron wants to hang around. It's rampant around our area, and I think the US will pretty much be done with Omicron by March, but it might really help in places that haven't been hit by it yet. If there are still any left by then
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sapper Redux
ramblin_ag02 said:

I guess it depends on how long Omicron wants to hang around. It's rampant around our area, and I think the US will pretty much be done with Omicron by March, but it might really help in places that haven't been hit by it yet. If there are still any left by then

Aren't you taking a bit of leap in assuming that antibodies from infection will last? My understanding of coronaviruses is that immunity tends to fade.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Antibodies will certainly fade, but that doesn't mean immunity will be compromised. We are immune to a great many infections, but our antibody titers to any one of these is typically very low. The problem with most upper respiratory viruses is that they keep mutating. So even though we are immune to a dozen strains of flu, for instance, we might not be immune to the next one.
Zobel
AG
That doesn't explain this

nortex97
AG

Sigh…
ramblin_ag02
AG
I promise I'm not trying to single you out, but do you really feel that posting random twitter screencaps without comment is in any way helpful to the conversation we're having? Is there some point you want to make with this?
nortex97
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

I promise I'm not trying to single you out, but do you really feel that posting random twitter screencaps without comment is in any way helpful to the conversation we're having? Is there some point you want to make with this?
Sigh...yes. First, it wasn't random. Second, there have been a lot of lies in the public health messaging around the vaccines, the virus, and the NPI's that have been both supported and shunned.

Hope that helps!

chimpanzee
The initial studies looked solid, the observed impact does not match. That kind of efficacy in preventing cases does not line up with any jurisdiction or population regardless of vax uptake. Maybe it's variants or something else causing the disjoint. We might be able to put up a hypothesis as to why, but the detail behind that chart is being reluctantly slow walked into the public only after pressure.

In any case "taking the vax" has no benefit to anyone other than the user.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

Sigh...yes. First, it wasn't random. Second, there have been a lot of lies in the public health messaging around the vaccines, the virus, and the NPI's that have been both supported and shunned.

Hope that helps!
Not touching the Downing Street stuff. I just expect hypocrisy and lies from politicians at this point. Everything else in your screencap was the legitimate, honest best advice at the time it was made. Our knowledge grew and the virus changed, so the response had to chance. That's not lying, that's being smart.

The Ronald McDonald House stuff is sad. Vaccine mandates made a lot of sense with alpha and delta. I really don't see the advantage of mandates with omicron. All the people I know that missed work with omicorn were vaccinated and many boostered, and we're not really seeing a ton of people hospitalized with omicron. They're better than nothing, and I still recommend them, but the mandates just don't make sense anymore. And I'm the most pro-vax and pro-mandate person here. I was calling for measles mandates for public spaces years before covid.
nortex97
AG
Ok, respect your opinions, but agree to disagree. The saddest thing to me is that the medical establishment has burned so much credibility/trust with this, that in the future no 'mandate' or public health response will be trusted by so many.

I don't think the science or facts were followed well, but again am willing to just respectfully disagree.
Duncan Idaho
Is your stance on mandates for omicron based on the efficacy of the current vaccines? Or the virulence of the strain?

Basically When the omicron specific vaccine cones out will your stance on a vaccine mandate shift back?
ramblin_ag02
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Is your stance on mandates for omicron based on the efficacy of the current vaccines? Or the virulence of the strain?

Basically When the omicron specific vaccine cones out will your stance on a vaccine mandate shift back?
Mostly due to the vaccines being a poor match for omicron. They aren't super good at preventing infection or spread of disease. Hard to tell if they prevent severe disease as omicron doesn't nearly as much severe disease as the prior strains.

Not sure in regards to the second question. I fully expect the US wave of omicron to be over by February, so mandating a vaccine against a strain that has come and gone doesn't make a lot of sense either. If we're still fighting omicron by then, then absolutely
Zobel
AG

Quote:

The initial studies looked solid, the observed impact does not match.
You've argued in a circle now. The premise of your bayesian post was that we can't measure efficacy outside of clinical trials. He says "this is WHY randomized controlled trials are used. you need to get all the bias out and equalized BEFORE you start. there is a reason that study design and enrollment randomization and balance are a whole separate subfield. once the data starts getting confounded in complex ways, you cannot untangle it. you're lost." That's before an accusation of more or less study design fraud, of course. But the point stands - and is correct. Outside of a study, you can't untangle the complexities of confounders in the data.

So you're saying that it doesn't matter what we see in studies, because our observed impact doesn't match, but we can't observe the impact correctly because of the definition of vaccination, which was observed in a controlled study, which doesn't matter.

He makes a completely unfounded argument later that "you do not count the boosted as boosted until 2 weeks after the shot. this is the definition everyone has been using. it was used in the drug trials for these vaccines as well. and doing this is full blown bayesian datacrime." Bullcrap. I showed the graph. They didn't arbitrarily pick two weeks, they picked two weeks because that's when the observed (dramatic) deviation between the vaccinated and control group happened. I genuinely don't understand how anyone can look at the graph in my previous post and say - yeah, that's not a real effect.

You can't have it both ways. The 14 days is a real thing that we observed in the studies AND you can't make reliable observations outside of trials. You can't use the second statement to malign the first.

Quote:

In any case "taking the vax" has no benefit to anyone other than the user.
Several test-negative studies have shown vaccinations to have efficacy both against infection and severe disease. I linked one for you two posts ago, and I linked a recent one earlier for Omicron showing ~70% efficacy. Therefore we can conclude from the evidence that vaccinations reduce both the chance of infection and the likelihood of severe disease. There has been no study done that shows otherwise. If you have one, please share it.

Based on that, the only way this sentence can be true is if there is no second-order risk due to an increased number of total infections in a population. This seems to me to be false by inspection. Reducing the total number of infections reduces each individual's risk of infection. It also reduces the total number of infections which go on to be severe, which reduce hospital loads, which lower risk of harm to anyone who has the potential to need any service at a hospital. Which is to say, everyone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.