Get the Vax

48,103 Views | 657 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by snowdog90
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zobel said:

again i'm not sure where you think we disagree.

healthy children and young adults have a much lower risk for poor outcomes. I agree.

however, even considering that, the vaccines lower that risk further. the risk ratio for the vaccine or number needed to treat or whatever you want to is in favor of vaccinating kids. just like it is for the flu shot (another disease which has a low risk to young people). covid vaccines have a lower risk of serious side effects than the flu shot.

I am not defending fauci or any public official. public messaging sucked. but that doesn't mean social media was good.

if we're talking about learning lessons, based on what you're saying then one lesson is that the general public sucks at medical research and has some really confused opinions about vaccines.

i suspect that a lot of this was driven by the idea of a "noble lie" which is the wrong response to the statement above.

what happened
people may not understand -> let's infantilize them and lie if necessary to get the outcome we want

vs what should have happened
people may not understand -> let's improve our communication and have frank, open discource

maybe its a pipe dream, maybe the latter isn't possible. i really don't know, to be honest. social media disinformation is a really powerful obstacle.
I think the latter is possible. And should be the standard. Government thinking we are too stupid to make our own health care decisions ticks me off.

And your thinking is not the thinking I have a problem with.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HumpitPuryear
AG
Zobel said:

again i'm not sure where you think we disagree.

healthy children and young adults have a much lower risk for poor outcomes. I agree.

however, even considering that, the vaccines lower that risk further. the risk ratio for the vaccine or number needed to treat or whatever you want to is in favor of vaccinating kids. just like it is for the flu shot (another disease which has a low risk to young people). covid vaccines have a lower risk of serious side effects than the flu shot.

I am not defending fauci or any public official. public messaging sucked. but that doesn't mean social media was good.

if we're talking about learning lessons, based on what you're saying then one lesson is that the general public sucks at medical research and has some really confused opinions about vaccines.

i suspect that a lot of this was driven by the idea of a "noble lie" which is the wrong response to the statement above.

what happened
people may not understand -> let's infantilize them and lie if necessary to get the outcome we want

vs what should have happened
people may not understand -> let's improve our communication and have frank, open discource

maybe its a pipe dream, maybe the latter isn't possible. i really don't know, to be honest. social media disinformation is a really powerful obstacle.
There ended up being lots of truths on social media that would not have come out if not for social media and government can't be trusted. That's the lesson that most people took from the covid disaster. Maybe it started out as a noble lie (not what I believe) but once the government doubled-down and told more lies and then collaborated with social media to squash the "misinformation" the die was cast. It will be a very very long time before our government will gain the people's trust again, if ever. Hopefully what these agencies learned is that in the world of instant information you can't gaslight people or you lose them.

At the risk of turning this completely political, keep in mind that this was all occurring against the backdrop of the Russia collusion hoax and other nefarious actions by DOJ/FBI, etc. Covid didn't happen in a vacuum.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

My point is there are articles saying both sides. You believe what you believe and I believe what I believe. And we make a decision.

that's not good enough for me, personally. truth exists, and it isn't subject to our personal beliefs. i don't accept - for me - to say well there is conflicting data so i throw up my hands, or that means i can just pick whatever i want to believe and roll with it.

i stand by the assertion that the best available evidence shows the vaccines reduce your chance to be infected. i also expect that depends a lot on which vaccine you get vs which viral strain is out there at the time, which makes it a moving target. but if we go back before people went nuts and talk about the flu vaccine, that is just as true and everyone knew it. they picked a flu vaccine, and some years it worked great and other years it didn't. nobody ever said well that means the flu vaccine doesn't work.

Quote:

Even if you are correct, I still do not think there should have been mandates. Personal health choices are complex and the government should not be telling people what to do. Especially young healthy people and children.
i think it's more complicated than that. im lucky enough to be responsible for nobody but my kids. but... elected officials do have some responsibility, depending on their job. i dont have a problem with vaccine requirements for public schools, for example.

this just becomes a discussion of personal vs socialized risk and liberties. and society always hangs in a tension between those two things, whether we're talking about laws against risky behavior or the draft or whatever. there's no bright objectively clear line there.

BUT! there is a right and wrong way to do it, which definitely matters. OSHA general duty clause is about the wrongest way i can think of.

Quote:

Just curious, were you in favor of mask mandates?
eh, ambivalent. they have precedent in the US, they're a massively minor inconvenience, and they probably provide some small benefit. for me personally, i hated wearing them and pretty much ignored them whenever i could get away with it. i think a lot of people lost their ever lovin' minds over it and acted like brats, and other people went completely nazi over them. people need to just chill the hell out mostly. it's not a big deal. put it in the category of "might help / won't hurt".
Zobel
AG

Quote:

There ended up being lots of truths on social media that would not have come out if not for social media and government can't be trusted
i suspect most of the things you're putting in that category i would not agree are true. that's kind of the problem.
Macarthur
That's the problem with 'social media'. For every single truth you find, there's countless BS.
dermdoc
AG
Zobel said:

Quote:

My point is there are articles saying both sides. You believe what you believe and I believe what I believe. And we make a decision.

that's not good enough for me, personally. truth exists, and it isn't subject to our personal beliefs. i don't accept - for me - to say well there is conflicting data so i throw up my hands, or that means i can just pick whatever i want to believe and roll with it.

i stand by the assertion that the best available evidence shows the vaccines reduce your chance to be infected. i also expect that depends a lot on which vaccine you get vs which viral strain is out there at the time, which makes it a moving target. but if we go back before people went nuts and talk about the flu vaccine, that is just as true and everyone knew it. they picked a flu vaccine, and some years it worked great and other years it didn't. nobody ever said well that means the flu vaccine doesn't work.

Quote:

Even if you are correct, I still do not think there should have been mandates. Personal health choices are complex and the government should not be telling people what to do. Especially young healthy people and children.
i think it's more complicated than that. im lucky enough to be responsible for nobody but my kids. but... elected officials do have some responsibility, depending on their job. i dont have a problem with vaccine requirements for public schools, for example.

this just becomes a discussion of personal vs socialized risk and liberties. and society always hangs in a tension between those two things, whether we're talking about laws against risky behavior or the draft or whatever. there's no bright objectively clear line there.

BUT! there is a right and wrong way to do it, which definitely matters. OSHA general duty clause is about the wrongest way i can think of.

Quote:

Just curious, were you in favor of mask mandates?
eh, ambivalent. they have precedent in the US, they're a massively minor inconvenience, and they probably provide some small benefit. for me personally, i hated wearing them and pretty much ignored them whenever i could get away with it. i think a lot of people lost their ever lovin' minds over it and acted like brats, and other people went completely nazi over them. people need to just chill the hell out mostly. it's not a big deal. put it in the category of "might help / won't hurt".
Agree with your take on masks. But we had several run ins at restaurants where we were standing to be seated and forced to wear masks while people sitting eating two feet from us were not. When I brought up the absurdity of that (in a measured way I might add) we got kicked out.

Will not tolerate stupidity. Sorry.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

Government thinking we are too stupid to make our own health care decisions ticks me off.
i mean.. this is a pretty large gradient.

you could use this to argue against seatbelt laws, or car safety standards, or automobile safety inspections. or the FDA or limits on drugs at all. or the entire practice of medical licensing or really professional licensing of any sort.

I wonder what would happen today in NYC if there was something like the smallpox outbreak in 1947. it would probably be a ****show, and RFK would probably show up and convince a big chunk of them not to get vaccinated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1947_New_York_City_smallpox_outbreak

there is a link between individual responsibility, individual liberty, and civic virtue. that fabric has worn thin in our country, and so that limits or changes governance.
dermdoc
AG
Zobel said:

Quote:

Government thinking we are too stupid to make our own health care decisions ticks me off.
i mean.. this is a pretty large gradient.

you could use this to argue against seatbelt laws, or car safety standards, or automobile safety inspections. or the FDA or limits on drugs at all. or the entire practice of medical licensing or really professional licensing of any sort.

I wonder what would happen today in NYC if there was something like the smallpox outbreak in 1947. it would probably be a ****show, and RFK would probably show up and convince a big chunk of them not to get vaccinated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1947_New_York_City_smallpox_outbreak

there is a link between individual responsibility, individual liberty, and civic virtue. that fabric has worn thin in our country, and so that limits or changes governance.
Agree. But politics have made it untenable. Used to be we could come to civil agreements.
dermdoc
AG
BluHorseShu said:

HumpitPuryear said:

Zobel said:

Quote:

Covid vaccine was NOT beneficial and likely harmful for healthy young adults and children.

*citation needed
No citation needed. Its common knowledge that young adults and children did not face serious threat from Covid. We were told we need to vaccinate them to achieve herd immunity. Another lie.
It wasn't the threat of health to them it was the threat of spreading it. And 'no citation needed' is weak. Sure there were mistakes, and we expect better but in that first year they weren't sure about everyones risk. Young adults and children with chronic health problems were absolutely at high risk.
Correct. But mandates are horrible.
snowdog90
Here is the problem. And you refuse to see it. I don't know what your motives are, but I know what Dr. Pierre Kory's motives were. He wanted to save lives and crush covid. He used ivermectin to save lives. You and people like you want to discredit him by citing studies that say "ivermectin doesn't work".

But the difference between Kory and you is that Kory was actively treating covid patients and seeing the results. He is brilliant, smarter than any yahoo on texags calling him a "disgrace". And he cites tons of studies showing ivermectin works. As dermdoc said, any study can say anything, depending on who pays for it. I'll trust Dr. Kory, who had nothing to gain, before I trust studies by NIH, CDC, WHO, Pfizer, Moderna who made billions of dollars peddling drugs that didn't work.

Kory probably saved my life. I watched his congressional testimony and got ivermectin soon after. Covid destroyed me... until I took ivermectin and felt better within hours.

He is now out of practicing medicine for "misinformation". Not for malpractice leading to the death of patients, which thousands of doctors were guilty of. "Misinformation". What a disgrace. Bureaucrats who probably never saw a covid patient fired him for "misinformation".

When he gave his testimony before congress, no democrats were there. They didn't want to hear it. They had no desire to hear about an awesome, cheap drug that cured covid. They immediately worked to destroy ivermectin, an incredibly SAFE and cheap drug.

Meanwhile, they were killing people with Remdesivir, at $3000 a dose, on Fauci's recommendation.

Why do you think all of that happened? To me, it's incredibly obvious. They didn't want a cure. Among other things, they wanted to mandate an "emergency" vaccine that Pfizer and Moderna would make billions from. Of course, the politicians got their sizable kickbacks.

None of that is possible if ivermectin works against covid. The vaccine is never needed. So ivermectin had to be destroyed, as well as hydroxychloroquine. Hell, hospitals did nothing for covid patients, sent them home and told them to come back when they couldn't breathe.

I know ivermectin works. Kory screamed it from the mountaintops and lost his job for it. Thousands or millions could have been saved that are gone now. I fear many more will succumb to the horrible poison vaccine that was forced on so many.

Here's 10 minutes of Dr. Kory from 2 years ago. Not much about ivermectin in this one, more about the astounding corruption in the medical field.

Zobel
AG
Why do you assume that vaccines and therapeutics are at odds? It's kind weird.

Read this.

https://www.astralcodexten.com/p/ivermectin-much-more-than-you-wanted

snowdog90
Zobel said:

Why do you assume that vaccines and therapeutics are at odds? It's kind weird.

Read this.

https://www.astralcodexten.com/p/ivermectin-much-more-than-you-wanted

Ugh, I'm not reading that. At odds? Not sure what you mean...

Fact - they forced people to take covid vaccines.
Fact - they denied many people the ability to take ivermectin.

That seems at odds to me.

I think I explained myself above. I've listened to and read so much, but nothing could convince me ivermectin doesn't work because I used it. And it worked... Literally, at midnight I was shaking from chills, had fever, whole body aching. Took ivermectin and acetaminophen. Woke up at noon 90% percent better.

This is exactly what Pierre Kory said Ivermectin would do. And it did.

And he got kicked off of youtube and facebook and twitter. You could not say the word ivermectin on those platforms. He was saving lives with ivermectin and they silenced him.

Why?
What harm did ivermectin do?
Did ivermectin kill anyone?
What about Remdesivir?
Zobel
AG

Quote:

Ugh, I'm not reading that.
i mean this in the nicest way possible, but that is why you have a bad opinion.

if you apply this same heuristic broadly in your life, you will have bad opinions frequently.

Quote:

I think I explained myself above. I've listened to and read so much, but nothing could convince me ivermectin doesn't work because I used it. And it worked... Literally, at midnight I was shaking from chills, had fever, whole body aching. Took ivermectin and acetaminophen. Woke up at noon 90% percent better.
ok. then there is zero point in discussing it. but it is important to note why we are at a complete impasse.

"i took x and got better" is not how medical evidence works. there are really good reasons for that, maybe some you might even consider. but as long as you don't care to understand that "i took x and got better" is not compelling medical evidence, and will pretty much convince no one, then there's no point in discussion.

that doesn't make me a liar, or arrogant. it doesn't make you a bad person or dumb. it just means there's no point in talking about this, because you're unwilling to come to the table.
snowdog90
Zobel said:

Quote:

Ugh, I'm not reading that.
i mean this in the nicest way possible, but that is why you have a bad opinion.

if you apply this same heuristic broadly in your life, you will have bad opinions frequently.

Quote:

ok. then there is zero point in discussing it. but it is important to note why we are at a complete impasse.

"i took x and got better" is not how medical evidence works. there are really good reasons for that, maybe some you might even consider. but as long as you don't care to understand that "i took x and got better" is not compelling medical evidence, and will pretty much convince no one, then there's no point in discussion.

that doesn't make me a liar, or arrogant. it doesn't make you a bad person or dumb. it just means there's no point in talking about this, because you're unwilling to come to the table.

You are arrogant. You're telling me you know better than thousands of doctors who prscribed ivermectin. You are telling me ivermectin didn't cure my covid when it's the only explanation for me getting so much better so fast. These doctors I listened to had actual patients they were trying to help. And they did. Using ivermectin.

You're saying all those doctors are somehow wrong and that all their patients are wrong. Because you've looked at studies.

Good for you. I'm glad I listened to an awesome doctor. You listened to scumbag Fauci, who is responsible for countless deaths due to Remdesivir alone. I can't help but notice you have no answer for why a safe cheap drug ivermectin was demonized while Remdesevir was championed.

But the powers that be were making decisions based on patient health. Yeah, sure they were. Wake up.
Zobel
AG
Again. The reason we use studies is because without a control you can't tell what is happening.

I'm ignoring your remdesivir and Fauci things because they're non sequiturs. It does not follow the because remdesivir is bad, Ivermectin is good, or that because Fauci was wrong, Kory was right.

I gave you an extremely thorough review of 30(!) papers on ivermectin, including a really even handed discussion of the results. You dismissed it, even though the conclusion is that ivermectin showed benefit it some really well done studies.

Honestly at this point I don't think I'm the arrogant one.
Zobel
AG
By the way doc I know you're not in pediatrics but covid19 was the leading cause of death in the age group of 0-19 in the category of infections and respiratory diseases in 2021-2022.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2800816

And the ethics article you linked wasn't about vaccines - it was about boosters. Which, I think, is an important distinction.

Regarding COVID and kids David Gorski put it this way - and this is addressed to two of the authors of the ethics paper you referred to -

Quote:

…At best, COVID-19 is roughly as deadly to children as measles was before the vaccine (and that's even with a percentage of the population ages 0-19 having been vaccinated). More likely, COVID-19 is considerably more deadly to children than measles was in the 1950s, before the vaccine was developed.

Yet back then doctors and scientists considered measles, its status as a "normal childhood illness" notwithstanding, to be a deadly threat that warranted a vaccine-and rightly so! We shouldn't tolerate 500 children dying every year and something like 1-3 per 1,000 suffering severe neurological sequelae, and in the 1960s we didn't. The measles vaccine resulted in a dramatic decline in the number of cases of measles per year. In contrast, today a distressing number of physicians just shrug their shoulders metaphorically at an equal or higher level of carnage due to an infectious disease, and trot out the same old antivax arguments used for measles based on COVID-19 supposedly being "not a threat" to children in order to argue against pandemic mitigations in schools or vaccine mandates. And, yes, I'm calling out certain physicians by name, including Drs. Vinay Prasad, Allison Krug, and Tracy Beth Hoeg, to begin with, for doing just this.

Let me finish by putting it this way. If you use arguments against vaccinating children against COVID-19 that are in form identical to the arguments that antivaxxers used to use before the pandemic to argue against vaccinating children against measles, pertussis, and the like, namely that the disease isn't a threat to the children, while ignoring that the disease kills hundreds of children a year, what should I call you? You've lost the right to get all indignant if I call you an antivaxxer. If the name fits…
snowdog90
Zobel said:

Again. The reason we use studies is because without a control you can't tell what is happening.

I'm ignoring your remdesivir and Fauci things because they're non sequiturs. It does not follow the because remdesivir is bad, Ivermectin is good, or that because Fauci was wrong, Kory was right.

I gave you an extremely thorough review of 30(!) papers on ivermectin, including a really even handed discussion of the results. You dismissed it, even though the conclusion is that ivermectin showed benefit it some really well done studies.

Honestly at this point I don't think I'm the arrogant one.

Forgive me for that, please. I'm not used to you showing ivermectin in a good light. Glad to hear it. I will try to check it out tomorrow.

I bring up Remdesivir to prove a point. Fauci et al cared more about money than patients, imo.
Zobel
AG
I'm not sure what Fauci has to do with any of this. I haven't cited him as a source and frankly have no idea nor do I care what he thinks about any of this.

The conclusion about ivermectin is more or less that everyone was wrong. The studies that were good that found benefit had tight correlation with countries that have a high prevalence of worms - which ivermectin is a miracle drug to treat, and are also a covid comorbidity, and also also covid steroids can cause a hyper infection of worms that can kill you. The data leads us to see ivermectin works where people have worms and doesn't do anything where they don't. Which is really interesting

Also a lot of the ivermectin studies were outright fraudulent and should be rejected out of hand.
dermdoc
AG
Zobel said:

By the way doc I know you're not in pediatrics but covid19 was the leading cause of death in the age group of 0-19 in the category of infections and respiratory diseases in 2021-2022.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2800816

And the ethics article you linked wasn't about vaccines - it was about boosters. Which, I think, is an important distinction.

Regarding COVID and kids David Gorski put it this way - and this is addressed to two of the authors of the ethics paper you referred to -

Quote:

…At best, COVID-19 is roughly as deadly to children as measles was before the vaccine (and that's even with a percentage of the population ages 0-19 having been vaccinated). More likely, COVID-19 is considerably more deadly to children than measles was in the 1950s, before the vaccine was developed.

Yet back then doctors and scientists considered measles, its status as a "normal childhood illness" notwithstanding, to be a deadly threat that warranted a vaccine-and rightly so! We shouldn't tolerate 500 children dying every year and something like 1-3 per 1,000 suffering severe neurological sequelae, and in the 1960s we didn't. The measles vaccine resulted in a dramatic decline in the number of cases of measles per year. In contrast, today a distressing number of physicians just shrug their shoulders metaphorically at an equal or higher level of carnage due to an infectious disease, and trot out the same old antivax arguments used for measles based on COVID-19 supposedly being "not a threat" to children in order to argue against pandemic mitigations in schools or vaccine mandates. And, yes, I'm calling out certain physicians by name, including Drs. Vinay Prasad, Allison Krug, and Tracy Beth Hoeg, to begin with, for doing just this.

Let me finish by putting it this way. If you use arguments against vaccinating children against COVID-19 that are in form identical to the arguments that antivaxxers used to use before the pandemic to argue against vaccinating children against measles, pertussis, and the like, namely that the disease isn't a threat to the children, while ignoring that the disease kills hundreds of children a year, what should I call you? You've lost the right to get all indignant if I call you an antivaxxer. If the name fits…

I am primarily talking about "boosters" also. I have stated repeatedly that I believed the first 2 vaccines helped reduce mortality and morbidity. And were very useful.

In fact I made a post that said one of the biggest problems in this discussion is that Covid and the vax were totally different in 2020-21 than in the years after.

Zobel
AG
I don't have any particular opinion about boosters. I'll defer to your opinion.
snowdog90
Zobel said:

I'm not sure what Fauci has to do with any of this. I haven't cited him as a source and frankly have no idea nor do I care what he thinks about any of this.

The conclusion about ivermectin is more or less that everyone was wrong. The studies that were good that found benefit had tight correlation with countries that have a high prevalence of worms - which ivermectin is a miracle drug to treat, and are also a covid comorbidity, and also also covid steroids can cause a hyper infection of worms that can kill you. The data leads us to see ivermectin works where people have worms and doesn't do anything where they don't. Which is really interesting

Also a lot of the ivermectin studies were outright fraudulent and should be rejected out of hand.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Ivermectin is for worms.

It's an awesome anti-parasitic and has saved millions while still being safer than aspirin.

It also has anti-viral properties, which thousands of doctors saw and used to beat covid. It is a protease inhibitor, meaning it binds to the part of the cell that viruses like covid try to invade and use to replicate. This makes total sense in my situation. I was being attacked by covid, felt horrible. I took ivermectin, which started working against covid's ability to replicate. Within hours, I felt much better because covid couldn't replicate easily within my body.

Here's a definition from the internet.
What are protease inhibitors? Protease inhibitors (PIs) are medications that treat viral infections. They work by preventing a virus from making more copies of itself.

Whatever studies you're talking about that are fraudulent, that doesn't discount the tens or hundreds of other studies that show ivermectin works against covid. There are so mant of these studies that show MUCH BETTER results than the vaccine ever showed.

Fauci... Fauci has everything to do with this. The fact that Fauci ran the whole Covid response for the government means that he...

1. Made sure ivermectin was NOT used.
2. Made sure hydroxychloroquine was NOT used.
3. Made sure Remdesivir WAS used, despite any reasonable testing that showed it had efficacy
4. Pushed fraudulent mask mandates.
5. Pushed fraudulent, unscientific distancing mandates.
6. Pushed for closing schools,despite children being at miniscule risk from covid. This caused incredible harm to kids.
7. Pushed the VACCINE, with no cares about the health of those who would be harmed by it, and no warning of the risks associated with it.

Here's 2 videos. One is an Australian doctor who has treated 8 patients with long covid. Some have long covid FROM JUST THE VACCINE, some from covid itself. Ivermectin has helped EVERY PATIENT HE'S SEEN.

The second video is Dr. Scott Atlas, who basically details the corruption of Fauci, Birx and others.

Zobel
AG
dermdoc
AG
Zobel said:

I don't have any particular opinion about boosters. I'll defer to your opinion.
My opinion is I am not taking any more shots. Took the first 2 which I do not regret then 1 booster which in retrospect I do regret.
snowdog90
Zobel said:

Thank you for continuing to converse with me. We may never agree, and that's fine.

And I'm very passionate and opinionated (sometimes a jackass).

So again, thanks.

I came to this board to talk about Jesus, since I recently (finally) surrendered my life to Him, but got sidetracked by good old covid.

So God bless you, and I'm sorry for all the times I've spoken in a malicious way. I am trying and will continue to try to do better.
dermdoc
AG
snowdog90 said:

Zobel said:

Thank you for continuing to converse with me. We may never agree, and that's fine.

So again, thanks.

I came to this board to talk about Jesus, since I recently (finally) surrendered my life to Him, but got sidetracked by good old covid.

So God bless you, and I'm sorry for all the times I've spoken in a malicious way. I am trying and will continue to try to do better.

Congrats on your encounter with Christ. May you be filled with joy and shalom.
Zobel
AG
Cheers, all good, God forgives!
snowdog90
dermdoc said:

snowdog90 said:

Zobel said:

So again, thanks.

Congrats on your encounter with Christ. May you be filled with joy and shalom.

Thanks!!
snowdog90
Zobel said:

Cheers, all good, God forgives!

Yes He does!! Have a great day!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.