Some facts and myths about the FBCG situation

41,357 Views | 266 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by citagg83
Ball Gravy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No I am not. My former name was Energy Aggie.
Hincemm
AG
hate to break your hearts...why the f***would floyd come here? what's here that's not as good or better in socal?
superdales
AG
A&M has to keep tabs of cell phone usage. Must be NCAA compliant.
Ball Gravy
Maggie82... PM me then... I'm curious if we know the same people.

I would have no reason to believe that my contacts would fabricate a search list.

Aston04
AG
^Makes sense. It's just hard seeing them penny pinch on all his numerous expenses for a guy they are paying over a million a year. But yeah that does seem a likely scenerio. If so, pretty dumb of Billy to turn in a phone record of calls to UofArk.. He could have just used his home phone, a different phone or pay phone..
jackrabbit
AG
I am not disputing the claims laid out above, but does anyone find it curious that if Bill Byrne was PO'd at BCG...that wouldn't somehow affect the decision of his protege, the AD at Kentucky?

Just wondering
Aston04
AG
Floyd's not coming. I told delirious Arkansas fans this last week to them and I'll repeat the same for us. He has a sweet setup there and a great team lined up for next year.

By the way Floyd's not even known for his recruiting... And before one mentions OJ Mayo, he had nothing to do with him coming to USC.
DualAG
A bit of wisdom greened from personal experience: Cell phone records can get you in a lot of trouble.
Dad
AG
I've lost all respect for Gillispie.
Shotgun Ag
I don't have enough contacts to question the veracity of your facts, Ball Gravy, but I have to question gellespie's intelligence if he used a school issued cell phone to surreptitiously call the hogs over and over. What a dumb move!!

Gun safety is no accident.
themissinglink
AG
didn't Mayo contact Floyd and ask why he didn't offer a ship...

I just remember laughing at a comment by mayo saying he though Southern California needed a basketball power. Not going to be a history major I guess.
HiddenAg2
BallGravy has hit upon some truths here. He has it pretty accurate in his assessment. As I stated in another thread, Aggies should be glad that we got that man out of here when we did. He had no love for this university, he used us, and when he got caught he got scared and bowed to Byrne's pressure to agree to a new contract. But he was definitely looking for an out after that because his relationship with Byrne was essentially over after that incident in the meeting. I have to say that I am very impressed with Byrne through this whole situation. I think he really does love it here, so I'll side with him any day over any coach.
p_bubel

[This message has been edited by p_bubel (edited 4/6/2007 9:48p).]
jefford22
If it's a University phone, it is technically owned by the state of texas, which means it technically is paid for with taxpayer money.

Which means anyone can request the records under the Freedom of Information Act.
AMReasons
AG
Go ask Houston Nutt about cell phone records....
Ozzy Osbourne
This thread is excellent ... thanks!
pdaddy
AG
Maggie82,
Who is on the Short List then?

Excellent Post Ball Gravy
XL2Win
Man, I didn't think it was possible but my disappointment keeps growing. Looking to advance your career is one thing. Doing the way it is presented here is another.

History repeatedly shows us that guys like this eventually get theirs. It's just not as fast as most of us would like.
Dan Scott
AG
wasnt this thread locked by staff?
XL2Win
obviously NOT
Aston04
AG
quote:
If it's a University phone, it is technically owned by the state of texas, which means it technically is paid for with taxpayer money.

Which means anyone can request the records under the Freedom of Information Act.

Taxpayers do NOT fund university sports programs in the state of Texas. That said, since A&M Athletics is still a public entity, they are still bound by the same rules... But I doubt the public will ever see it unless a reporter raises a continued stink about it and IF they actually do possess said records..

[This message has been edited by Aston04 (edited 4/6/2007 10:00p).]
TAMU1990
AG
Ball Gravy speaks the truth
AgDotCom
quote:
does anyone find it curious that if Bill Byrne was PO'd at BCG...that wouldn't somehow affect the decision of his protege, the AD at Kentucky?

Several KU posters the other night mentioned how they didn't have 100% confidence in Barnhart regarding the way he handled other hires. His ass may be in a vice. If true, even if Byrne told him about his issues with BCG, Barnhart had no choice but to make a deal with the devil.

Barnhart's huevos are on the block with this hire, so he had to get the best coach he could regardless of long term character concerns.
jefe95
AG
Since NCAA compliance would need to keep track of contact with recruits, cell phone records would be one way of doing so.

Plausibe.
txag81
Great thread Gravy. Once again, I remind myself that things are never what they seem...
Orlando
This thread is about as reliable as the Arkie threads about the "done deal".

This thread may be a cheap salve, but doesn't heal the wound. The wound is the ego. The mere thought that BCG might have aspirations that the agricultural and mechanical college of Texas could not fulfill is the rub. I share a good bit of this.

Tough to lose a coach that you love. But blaming him will not make the institution a better place for the next one.
XL2Win
Putting some daylight on the coach's behavior might provide some explanatory benefit.

Personally, I'm buying into the story that he was working his way out of town when the KY opportunity dropped into the picture.
mazag08
AG
I actually don't feel as bad as I expected I would if this happened. The way I see it, I love my school, the players who choose to play here, and the traditions that make it so great. Any coach who puts himself above the school he is coaching for (whether it be his dream job or a stepping stone), above the traditions, and above the players (see the article where Carter says he first heard about this from tv) is not someone who belongs here. He did a great thing for us, and I am thankful for all the hard work he put in to put us on the map. Now its time we bring in someone who understands what our school is about. I'm ready for the guy who wants to embrace our traditions and is happy with the fact that we ARE building facilities and commiting ourselves more to basketball.

If we embrace our new coach.. whoever it is, and show him the support we showed Gillispie, we can be even better than before. Our returning players have stated that they are ready to come together and fight hard to keep this team going forward. Are we?

I think so!
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Ball Gravy's post is in line with everything I've heard from the inside...that being said, how has nobody caught on to his username?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
mazag, make no mistake...Billy did not do any work for us, it was all for him
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
A plane came from Arkie to visit/pick up Gillispie but was not here very long and turned around.
This much, at LEAST, is accurate. One of the stalkers on this board tracked the flight. It landed at Easterwood, stayed a few minutes, and then left and flew back. But BCG was not in town at the time. He had already left to go to the Juco Final Four.
kjaneway
AG
Ball Gravy's story is the same I've heard.

DallasAg 94
quote:
I have been on Texags for 6 years.

Post Melt-Down... still a rook to me.

quote:
Byrne always has a short list of potential replacements... always!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2828442

quote:
Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne will try to move quickly. One name on his radar is Winthrop's Gregg Marshall, whom Byrne spoke with after the Aggies beat the Eagles this season in College Station. Marshall would definitely come if asked.

We played Winthrop on Jan 2. Interesting set of circumstances. Byrnes could have already identified things were going to be a problem, and was testing the waters with Marshall. If Byrne felt at a minimum, he could lure Marshall... that would have given him the backup plan, in order to confront BCG, knowing he could back BCG into a corner, without great fear of being left empty handed.

Ol
quote:
He probably turns in his cell phone bill with expense receipts. I do at my work.

I only turn in my front page.

ruddy
quote:
how has nobody caught on to his username?

Yah.
mazag08
AG
ruddyduck:

i know, i meant that i was thankful for all the hard work that ultimatly got us on the map. i know it wasnt for us, which validates my point. im ready for the guy that does it for himself, as well as our school, and can find a way to use both to his advantage.
Quick Slant
Ball Gravy's information is consistent with some things I've heard but I do not know our chances with Floyd. I do think BB will get a GREAT hire to come here, however.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.