Some facts and myths about the FBCG situation

41,329 Views | 266 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by citagg83
Squadron 11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nearly all businesses have one cell phone account for all their staff members and the business provides the cell phone to the employee. The bill comes to the business each month, and the business audits the records. Very few businesses pay for an employee's personal cell phone on an expense report. First, it costs more because there is no volume discount, and second is because they want to be able to audit the calls being made as in BCG's case.
AggieChaz
I have heard from at least one reputable news source that one of the problems with the Arkie job was that two "returning" starters had positive drug tests. I put returning in quotes because who knows if they will be returning anymore. This explains the reason the coach that took the job returned to Creighton like 12 hours later.

[This message has been edited by AggieChaz (edited 4/8/2007 6:22a).]
Squilliam Fancyson
AG
I'm guessing we may find out tomorrow about the Floyd situation?
Ft Worth Ag
AG
I have not been able to wade through all the pages yet, but I wanted to comment about the phone records. Regardless of who owned the phone, and unless the federal law has been changed in the last twelve-fourteen months, anyone can get records of private phone bills. There are companies out there that you will pay the fee and you can see whom has been called. Though it may be unethical, the lack of the law does not make it illegal.
texags_99
AG
if this is the next Aggiegrant threadl, I just want to be a part of it. Ball Gravy....we're watching you.
RetiredpostalMarine
quote:
BILLY DID NOT HAVE MANY FRIENDS HERE NOR DID HE WANT THEM.

That sums it up.
8T2
91AggieLawyer:

quote:
Changing the word, irrational, to emotional would make this statement not only highly insightful, but absolutely true. Leaving it the way it is, however, makes it stupid. There is nothing irrational about anyone's attachment to A&M.

Counselor, fair enough. I edited my original post to include 'emotional' instead of 'irrational'. While some sports fans' devotion to a team borders on irrational, it does not reflect the majority of A&M fans and supporters.

As for monkeyaround's post, I didn't find much different in the overall post than Ball Gravy's. I will say that I do not find it the least bit incredible to believe that a coach famous for his ego and brutal practices that consist of withering critiques and insults for botched plays might also have a harsh personality around the athletic offices.
Ags77
AG
Wow.. just read these pages... most of you do not have a clue. Have a good day.
Alices Restaurant
77, you probably engage in hero worship for all coaches, don't ya?

You just can't conceive that someone that has "coach" in front of their name might be corrupt.

You also probably love Fran.

You're a hoot, old guy.
cone
AG
feel free to fill us in
Squilliam Fancyson
AG
quote:
Wow.. just read these pages... most of you do not have a clue. Have a good day.
Yeah so let us know what's up wise one. Have a good day.
NetBoy
AG
I didn't read all the pages of this thread, but I'm not going to sit around any more and let fiction be played out as fact. My college roommate now works in the athletic department and I ran all these by him.

quote:
--Billy has had multiple conversations with Arkie since January. It was mainly with Pat Foster (friend of 25 years) but there was one other Arkie number on his cell phone records.

Billy did in fact talk to Pat Foster, but as he does with everthing else, he makes you feel good about what you're telling him and acts interested.

quote:
--Byrne DID IN FACT confront Gillispie about the records and Gillispie stumbled his way through the meeting.

This DID NOT HAPPEN. Athletic department employees do not use phone provided by the department. They have their own phone and the department gives them a stipend. My old roommate has the same phone he had before he started working there and he still pays the bill. Now, he gets a check each month to cover the cost. He said this is a policy Byrne brought in so that employee cell phone records could not be public record and subject to open records requests. Bill Byrne has as much access to BCGs phone records as I have to any of yours-NONE. If he did acquire them, don't you think that phone company would be facing a law suit.

quote:
--Byrne told him, "While we are appreciative of the work you have done, you are not the only good coach in America, and if you are serious about leaving, my coaching search starts NOW"

Not true. Byrne fought BCG on Arkansas because he was convinced that A&M was a better situation and there were things Byrne could offer that were better then UA. However, he knew that UK was a dream of BCGs and so Byrne told him how much he wanted him, but that he would allow him to listen. Byrne, afterall, is human and wouldn't be able to sleep if he didn't let someone at least pursue their lifelong dream.

quote:
--Gillispie assured Byrne he would accept the contract.

True, and he did. But that was the A&M vs UA situation. Remember, even if BCG signed it the minute it was on his desk, he could still turn around and leave.

quote:
--Gillispie was a little perturbed at the fact that some promises took a while to fill.

This is a fact of being at Texas A&M. There is more red tape in this system then it seems anywhere else. BCG didn't hold the AD responsible for things beyond their control.

quote:
--FBCG and Byrne had a working relationship and not a personal one. When they talked, it was business, and nothing else.

It was a mostly working relationship, but as time grew on they joked around...but how often do you go grab a beer with your boss.

quote:
--The rumor that they were not on speaking terms when he left is true.

NOT TRUE. They had multiple conversations in the waining hours of his TAMU employment.

quote:
--A plane came from Arkie to visit/pick up Gillispie but was not here very long and turned around.

Not true--think of the cost of sending a plane for nothing. While I wouldn't put it past UA to be this stupid, it didn't happen in this case.

quote:
--FBCG used Arkie as much, if not worse, than he used A&M. They were very confident he was coming and they should have been.

Not true either...BCG took an honest look at UA. Their interest in him came from a third party that had casual conversations with BCG, but obviously didn't know him very well. Notice that Broyles was in charge of the search when they went after BCG, but when it didn't work out, Dr White took over. It was discovered by the UA BOR that Broyles fired Heath based on the conversations that Pat Foster had with BCG. When it turned out that Foster wasn't really "in" with BCG, Broyles was sent to the Master and White took over.

quote:
--The Regents and Ath Dept and FBCG have had a rocky relationship for a few weeks now regarding some issues.

Not true at all. Some of the regents happen to be good friends with BCG and all of those spoke to him during the UA search.

quote:
--Byrne has a clear #1 and that #1 is Tim Floyd. He is going to throw the bank at him. No word on who else makes up the rest of the short list.

I'll speculate a little more here, but Floyd doesn't appear to be #1 here. The search seems to be moving VERY quickly and could end as early as Monday or Tuesday.
moz
We never thought of ourselves.

Never a thought for ourselves.

We gave him everything money could buy.
lil99chris
AG
First, let me say that none of this discussion helps the hiring process that is now under way (and possibly could even hurt it).

Gravy, since you are "in the know".....please name the top three issues Gillispie had at A&M. I am aware of them....so bring the reasons.

quote:
--Billy has had multiple conversations with Arkie since January. It was mainly with Pat Foster (friend of 25 years) but there was one other Arkie number on his cell phone records.

netboy is on the right path.

If the athletic department paid for the cell phones, they would be subject to Freedom of Information Act and the annual internal auditing. It is also better business...if a coach overuses his phone he pays the extra expense, rather than the department.

A master bill was in place when Bill Byrne arrived. Now, the coaches are paid stipends (in their paychecks) for the cell phones and are not accountable for reporting any calls to the department except those involving recruiting, along with recruiting calls from any other phone source. Those are turned in on a specific log separate from phone bills. That log is what keeps them NCAA compliant, not the phone bill. The department reserves the right to summon up all of a staff member's phone bills, and under certain unordindary circumstances they still can become subject to the Freedom of Information Act.

quote:
frankly, i could care less if you believe me, but I know this to be the truth now.

Gravy, you state that this is "truth", it is somebody's truth.....it sure isn't Bill Byrne's (as it is portrayed to be). There are very few people that know what has gone on....and I'm pretty certain they aren't talking to you.

quote:
--Byrne DID IN FACT confront Gillispie about the records and Gillispie stumbled his way through the meeting.

--Byrne told him, "While we are appreciative of the work you have done, you are not the only good coach in America, and if you are serious about leaving, my coaching search starts NOW"

Can you please state the literal circumstances under which these alleged "meetings" and "confrontations" took place?

[This message has been edited by lil99chris (edited 4/8/2007 11:56a).]
AggieLit
quote:
We never thought of ourselves.

Never a thought for ourselves.

We gave him everything money could buy.

Isn't there some kind of rule against lame Beatles references? If not, there needs to be.
tcruise63
AG
In this day of NCAA scrutiny, coaches cell phone records are monitored (or should be....see Kelvin Sampson)
RetiredpostalMarine
quote:
I'll speculate a little more here

That's all you are doing.
BigD Ag
NetBoy, your college roommate must now be VERY high up to know intimate details such as Byrne speaking to TKC late into the night as TKC's employment with A&M was ending. Especially since I think he was already in Kentucky the night prior to his announcement.

Gig 'em
lil99chris
AG
quote:
In this day of NCAA scrutiny, coaches cell phone records are monitored (or should be....see Kelvin Sampson)

tcruise63, you are right. Coaches' phone records are monitored...there are compliance logs that detail any and all phone calls to recruits. This is required in the TAMU athletic department....phone bills are not required.

BigD Ag....netboy knows what he is talking about, trust me!
AW 1880
AG
FWIW, I know who Nut Butter's sources are, and can confirm he does know people.
Squilliam Fancyson
AG
Nut butter. Nice.
MaterialAg
AG
Folks, don't you think this is a little over the top for a reaction to a business negotiation?

That's all it was. Talking to other potential employers is not a crime. It is not unethical. There are several professional headhunters who read these very boards and could not be branded with the idiocy appearing on this very thread.

Think about it - if you are so autocratic with an employee that you bar him from talking to others in the industry and confront him with his phone logs; you would be begging him to leave. Obviously, Byrne took steps to retain the coach, so it makes no sense that he took some sort of belligerent turn. Anyone ascribing poor ethics or "character flaws" to someone negotiating in their interest without breaking laws has character flaws of their own, starting with gross naivete.
micahb2002
AG
You would think Bill has Frank Broyle's cell phone number too!
mallen
AG
quote:
I'll speculate a little more here
So, your post (NetBoy) is really just speculation... thanks for making that clear...
citagg83
mallen, lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.