Some facts and myths about the FBCG situation

41,320 Views | 266 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by citagg83
AnalogyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Is it ok to take it as fact? NO...bc it is only speculation at best.

actually, it's only speculation to YOU and others who do not know the truth...

By the way, I could post SOME things about SOME people I know, and it would be absolute fact- the fact that I could post it here without identifying the people doesnt make it speculative.

As the poster said, believe or don't- but you're position is completely wrong.
SECTAMU#1
Interesting stuff. Good luck to Byrne in getting Tim Floyd.

Life is not about what you do.

It's about what you do for others.
sc_aggie
AG
Thanks for the insight Gravy. If its all true I hope we all find out about it so we can find out if BCG is really the snake this info makes him out to be.
rbcs_2
AG
I posted this on another thread, but might be worth repeating.

I was listening to the radio last night (don't remember the show, but they were interviewing a cstv analyst). He said that BCG was always their #1, but went after BD knowing he would reject it. UK just had to go after their perceived #1 so that ulum/boosters would be satisfied. He speculated that UK had been in contact with BCG for over a week.

The timing of all this coincides very well with the Arkansas situation. There just seems to be a lot of stink. I don't know how much is true, but the signs are there.
Evanhue
AG
Nice story, but are you honestly going to believe someone named "Ball Gravy". Come on!!!
Aggie_Jeff
Why would Floyd leave USC... One reason is having to work in South Central LA.
Squilliam Fancyson
AG
Plus A&M could double/triple his salary.
TK03
quote:
I have heard 3 very similar stories from a donor close(r) to the program than the average fan,

So, your story would fall in the "myth" category.
TK03
quote:
my current name may be a rook, but I was permabanned recently for stating one of those things.

I have been on Texags for 6 years.

Stating you were banned from an internet message board is not how one would increase credibility. In fact, you are a huge loser if you get banned from posting on a message board.
Ragoo
AG
Why do we want a coach, who is willing to recruit a player who is not willing to be recruited?

My point being, it seems like Floyd wanted Mayo so bad he would bend over and take it places just to have to top recruit.

I watched him on PTI and he was arguing against Wilbon that Mayo was a good kid and nobody should worry.

I just don't see anything in Floyd's recruiting Mayo that makes me want him as my coach.

I feel like we are going back to where we started.

That being said My #1 now is Marshall at Winthrop.
TK03
quote:
didn't Mayo contact Floyd and ask why he didn't offer a ship...

I just remember laughing at a comment by mayo saying he though Southern California needed a basketball power. Not going to be a history major I guess.

Mayo said nothing like that. You just made that up.

Mayo said he wanted to be in LA for marketing purposes, and UCLA did not offer the chance to stand out with all fo their history.

There is plenty to make fun of OJ Mayo for (he is almost Joakim Noah-esque in that regard), don't make things up.

You are almost as bad as the people who say they have "contacts" in the Athletic Department, when those contacts are this website.
8T2
Much of this info does not require a leap of faith to be believable to a rational person. FBG's ego was well chronicled.

While the term "elite" program is not as important as it used to be, there are many (including FBG) who still think it means something.

It is not at all unusual for strong personalities to clash, especially in big time sports. Just because we appreciate the success on the court, does not mean there is a lovefest occurring in the athletic offices.

Much of FBG's personality quirks are well reported. While as fans, we may have marvelled at his devotion, an objective observer would also see that his obsessiveness could be a problem.

Many of you are demanding a rational explanation for all of this, and worse, defining rational in terms of your emotional attachment to a particular school, namely Texas A&M. You must remember that, while coaches will use that devotion to your school to garner money and support, rarely do they share that devotion themselves. This is, above all, a business. It is not the least bit surprising that FBG may have used his star status to demand bigger, better or more quickly built facilities from Byrne. The fact that Byrne was moving to build those facilities means nothing if FBG wants them quicker than Byrne can or will deliver. Again, think "rational" from an egomaniac's perspective.

Here's the most surprising thought I have had reading these posts. We all scratched our heads that FBG would go to UA, when the AD is retiring. However, if the AD is new, in a sense, FBG would outrank him in seniority. This would make him easier to push around. And, if he is resurrecting a once vibrant basketball program, a new AD is not going to have leverage to say no. In FBG's mind, this may be a way to control the athletic program while only being the basketball coach. It may fly in the face of logic, but not if your ego overrides your common sense.

We have seen a lot in the past few years that a competent AD is the path to a successful athletic program. A competent AD must be intelligent, competitive, proactive, a good judge of coaches, and above all, strong enough to keep bullhead coaches in line. That is going to cause friction with coaches, as they are only concerned with their program.

I am not upset with what FBG has done at A&M. I applaud it. I am not even upset that he was looking to leave. We are new to basketball success, so it is to be expected for a few more years. However, it is not impossible to support his contribution to A&M basketball while condemning his outsized ego. Specifically, I condemn the way he left. UK gave him a 7 year contract. They want him long term. There is absolutely NO reason he could not have waited 24 hours to announce, so that he could tie up loose ends at A&M, i.e., his PLAYERS.

I don't care that Frank Broyles and Bill Byrne gave him ultimatums. These are 2 strong ADs trying to keep control of their programs. I don't care that FBG thinks he will find happiness in living under the biggest microscope in college basketball. I DO care that he screwed over the kids that got him to this point. There is no excuse for that.

Aggies that believe that we must ignore FBG's faults because he upgraded the program are myopic. Aggies that now believe he has NO redeeming qualities are unrealistic in their expectations of their coaches. FBG is simply a very good coach who has some serious character flaws. I think he is exactly where he ought to be.

[This message has been edited by 8T2 (edited 4/8/2007 8:43a).]
Frisco - Ag
AG
I knew he was talking to Ark. Where there is smoke there is fire.
Aston04
AG
quote:
Aston04- been in the business world long? It don't work that way.

Not that long and the only thing I expense is gas sometimes. They don't see my mileage or where I actually went, they take my word for it.
Mookie
AG
i have a work phone that i use for personals as well. never seen a bill, never heard anything about abusing my phone from the boss man.

but i know they look at the bill occasionally...
themissinglink
AG
TK03,

I believe I heard the part about mayo contacting floyd from the announcers at the McDonald's slam dunk contest... They said floyd thought he had absolutely no chance at getting him to come to USC and so Mayo's father had to call him to get USC to officially offer
A1_Ag_95
AG
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aston04- been in the business world long? It don't work that way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not that long and the only thing I expense is gas sometimes. They don't see my mileage or where I actually went, they take my word for it.

They take your word for it until you have to turn in that said mileage report for an audit. Any business that pays for cell phone, gas, whatever, does have a right to have/see a copy of the full records regardless of who the bill goes to. The business also has to have proper accounting procedures due to all the new SOX laws..... No doubt that FBG cell records were scrutinized by BB.

Good luck to FBG. He and UK fit each other. A&M will find a coach to continue the success. BB is a lot like FBG, but has a loyal side. BB is driven to be the best as well, and will not accept his first hire as being the best he could have done....
PJYoung
AG
quote:
There is absolutely NO reason he could not have waited 24 hours to announce, so that he could tie up loose ends at A&M, i.e., his PLAYERS.

True.
8T2
quote:
True.

I should have added, "except for his insecurity that if he did not jump at this job offer in the middle of the night, that UK might incredibly revoke it and move on to someone else."

[This message has been edited by 8T2 (edited 4/7/2007 9:48a).]
Seven Costanza
AG
Article on OJ Mayo's commitment to USC:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/21/sports/ncaabasketball/21usc.html?ex=1332129600&en=8b167e7e9df76927&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
TK03
quote:
TK03,

I believe I heard the part about mayo contacting floyd from the announcers at the McDonald's slam dunk contest... They said floyd thought he had absolutely no chance at getting him to come to USC and so Mayo's father had to call him to get USC to officially offer

That part is true. You just made up the rest of it.

He wanted to be in LA, and UCLA did not offer him the chance to be a standout because they are the best college basketball program ever.

You said Mayo stated that the Southern California region had no college basketball history. He stated the complete opposite of that.

The guy has multiple ridiculous YouTube videos - he is a goldmine of material to mock him. Don't invent things.
Rob03
this is a great thread. lots of good information that may or may not be true, but as Aggies we want to believe it wasn't our fault. the interspersed cell phone posts are greatness.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
This is interesting stuff for sure and I, for one, hope it's right.

And I also hope that BB will hang BCG out to dry on all of this by the time it's said and done.

But that's just me.
themissinglink
AG
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/pac10/2006-11-15-mayo-usc_x.htm
quote:
"Los Angeles is a great basketball city and needs a (college) powerhouse," Mayo says.

I would think from this statement it could be implied he was referring to pro basketball and he thought LA did not have a college powerhouse...
AgDotCom
quote:
Stating you were banned from an internet message board is not how one would increase credibility. In fact, you are a huge loser if you get banned from posting on a message board.

First of all, if in 2002 I had knowledge RC Slocum was going to be fired the next week and I posted it, I would be banned. Yet I would have been correct.

Secondly, it would help *your* credibility to get an AgTag.

quote:
You are almost as bad as the people who say they have "contacts" in the Athletic Department, when those contacts are this website.

And you are the arbiter of who on here has contacts and who doesn't? What would you have said to Ranger65 if he had posted something like this before you knew who he was?
FireAg
AG
Here's a thought:

If Gravy's info is BS, then why is STAFF allowing unsubstantiated rumors to continue to be discussed on the FREE BOARDS? Staff is always quick to remove these.

Page 5 and this "rumor thread" is still alive and well.

Think about it...

Gravy- Thanks for the info. I believe you.
FireAg
AG
ttt
NE PA Ag
This thread was definitely locked for a while yesterday as well. I bet the mods did some checking, then re-opened the thread.
FireAg
AG
BINGO
FDXAg
AG
yep, with as conservative as the mods are regarding rumors.....the fact this was locked and then re-opened should speak volumes as to the legitimacy of this info....
VikingNik
AG
I have to say I feel better that we got screwed by Kentucky and not by Arky in the end, though it looks like if Tubby didn't leave our bottoms would have been too sore to sit on for days....
GarlandAg2012
AG
EDIT: Posted stuff relevant to the first page...all 5 pages didn't show up for me for some reason...

[This message has been edited by GarlandAg2012 (edited 4/7/2007 10:23a).]
AgSwagg99
AG
Agree with parts of this, but I don't think FBCG was ever going to Arkie. Think he lead them on to get what he wanted at A&M (raise and facilities) with in the back of his mind knowing there was a chance at UK. I think all has played out for the best. Next year we would have been in the same boat, as he would still be looking for that next step up. We got that out of the way, he got his dream job and we all move on. Nothing else matters at this point.
CDiem05
AG
This has been a great thread to read- couple of comments:

Some of you need to sleep every so often- unless you were just stumbling in from Northgate at 3, you need to find a bed.

Gravy's story seems to match up with what many others have reported/ said. The people who tend to "know things" on here seem to agree, and having very minimal inside knowledge, I am not in a position to disagree with anything that was said. Going after a coach of Floyd's status would not suprise me, and getting him would be even better.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
"...FBG is a very good coach with character flaws"

that about sums it up in my mind

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.