Some facts and myths about the FBCG situation

41,324 Views | 266 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by citagg83
Lark
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This should be read by all Ags.
nbbob
I have a close friend who coached against him in high school and said he was a total p rick.
5150 Time
I can confirm what Ball Gravy has said as well.

Add me to the ban list too.
monkeyaround
You are all a bunch of sour grapes morons. Some of what gravy said is true, but much of it is crap he's heard from people who think they know more than they actually do. BCG was paid a cell phone stipend. The only calls he has to report under normal circumstances are recruiting calls (he turned in a recruiting call log). Stop the whining and quit making up National Enquirer garbage.

He left for a better job. Believe it or not, such things exist outside of College Station.
mallen
AG
quote:
You are all a bunch of sour grapes morons.
Remember this whole deal is just a "business transaction". We're not criticizing the business decision, we're criticizing the former coach's character. Two different things. Most people have handled the business decision VERY WELL. In fact, I've seen very few criticisms about the "business transaction". I'm not sure what your point is...

[This message has been edited by mallen (edited 4/7/2007 9:27p).]
cone
AG
quote:
Some of what gravy said is true

please let us know exactly what isn't true
Killer-K 89
AG
I have no problem with him going to any other school if that is what he wanted to do.

Good riddance if he did not buy into the Aggie Traditions and Spirit.

But do it with Character.

I think that is the general consensus.
AgDotCom
quote:
Stop the whining and quit making up National Enquirer garbage.

Good idea. Let's stop listening to the "internet insiders" and start listening to "internet non-insiders" like you instead.
Charlie Moran
AG
It astonishes me that some of you guys refuse to believe that anyone cannot have contacts within the University or 12th Man Foundation that has "inside" information.
Example - I live in Kansas and have bumped into Gary Blair and Billy G on recruiting trips when I've flown back and forth to B/CS.Casual conversation with them leads to information (I knew from talking to Billy that Brian Davis was going to sign - hardly earthshaking but at that the time he was still wavering between us and a couple other schools) Did Billy say it? No that's an NCAA violation but one could tell from his itennerary that he had visited Davis.This was confirmed on my return leg when Helduser and Forbes(?) were on the same flight and talking recruiting.They mentioned how Luicci described each as their program's best recruiters.Jim Bob asked Forbes how it was going since signing day was near and he described a scenario that could have only meant Davis.I posted this under a Brian Davis thread without these details and was immediately crucified by those who believe most of us don't know anything or walk around with our head in the sand.I don't post crap for an ego boost and I don't want attention but I'm happy to relay tidbits which give insight and information especially positive news.I will never give up University or 12th Man sources though and if people don't choose to believe because there are no names--it's a free country.Go view another thread I don't care.
mallen
AG
It all comes down to this: You're being paid > $1 million per year to represent the University. Treat your co-workers and players with respect!! If you don't, you should be called to the carpet!!

[This message has been edited by mallen (edited 4/7/2007 9:54p).]
monkeyaround
Never mind. I'll just let you guys think you are "insiders" because it pads your considerable egos. You know very, very little. I'll leave you alone so you can continue your fantasies. I doubt any of you really know how all this went down.
XL2Win
quote:
Some of what gravy said is true, but much of it is crap he's heard from people who think they know more than they actually do.

So, how can you confirm this to be true? Why should we believe you any more than any other "knowledgeable" poster?

Not challenging you, just curious as how to separate the wheat from the chaff.
monkeyaround
You can't. All I can say is to trust me, which is what every one else on here says, too. Take it for what it is and believe what you want. I'm confident in what I say. I really could care less what anyone thinks about it. It just bothers me when I see some of these guys saying things that are not true (but it makes a good gossip story).
XL2Win
Ok ... that begs the question: What part of Gravy's posts are true?
FairwayAg
AG
8T2 is the big winner tonight.

quote:

Much of this info does not require a leap of faith to be believable to a rational person. FBG's ego was well chronicled.

While the term "elite" program is not as important as it used to be, there are many (including FBG) who still think it means something.

It is not at all unusual for strong personalities to clash, especially in big time sports. Just because we appreciate the success on the court, does not mean there is a lovefest occurring in the athletic offices.

Much of FBG's personality quirks are well reported. While as fans, we may have marvelled at his devotion, an objective observer would also see that his obsessiveness could be a problem.

Many of you are demanding a rational explanation for all of this, and worse, defining rational in terms of your irrational attachment to a particular school, namely Texas A&M. You must remember that, while coaches will use that devotion to your school to garner money and support, rarely do they share that devotion themselves. This is, above all, a business. It is not the least bit surprising that FBG may have used his star status to demand bigger, better or more quickly built facilities from Byrne. The fact that Byrne was moving to build those facilities means nothing if FBG wants them quicker than Byrne can or will deliver. Again, think "rational" from an egomaniac's perspective.

Here's the most surprising thought I have had reading these posts. We all scratched our heads that FBG would go to UA, when the AD is retiring. However, if the AD is new, in a sense, FBG would outrank him in seniority. This would make him easier to push around. And, if he is resurrecting a once vibrant basketball program, a new AD is not going to have leverage to say no. In FBG's mind, this may be a way to control the athletic program while only being the basketball coach. It may fly in the face of logic, but not if your ego overrides your common sense.

We have seen a lot in the past few years that a competent AD is the path to a successful athletic program. A competent AD must be intelligent, competitive, proactive, a good judge of coaches, and above all, strong enough to keep bullhead coaches in line. That is going to cause friction with coaches, as they are only concerned with their program.

I am not upset with what FBG has done at A&M. I applaud it. I am not even upset that he was looking to leave. We are new to basketball success, so it is to be expected for a few more years. However, it is not impossible to support his contribution to A&M basketball while condemning his outsized ego. Specifically, I condemn the way he left. UK gave him a 7 year contract. They want him long term. There is absolutely NO reason he could not have waited 24 hours to announce, so that he could tie up loose ends at A&M, i.e., his PLAYERS.

I don't care that Frank Broyles and Bill Byrne gave him ultimatums. These are 2 strong ADs trying to keep control of their programs. I don't care that FBG thinks he will find happiness in living under the biggest microscope in college basketball. I DO care that he screwed over the kids that got him to this point. There is no excuse for that.

Aggies that believe that we must ignore FBG's faults because he upgraded the program are myopic. Aggies that now believe he has NO redeeming qualities are unrealistic in their expectations of their coaches. FBG is simply a very good coach who has some serious character flaws. I think he is exactly where he ought to be.

monkeyaround
--Billy has had multiple conversations with Arkie since January. It was mainly with Pat Foster (friend of 25 years) but there was one other Arkie number on his cell phone records.

HE MIGHT HAVE HAD MULTIPLE CONVERSATIONS WITH FOSTER, BUT HE'S DONE THE SAME FOR THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS. FOSTER HAS BEEN COMING TO A&M GAMES SINCE BILLY'S FIRST YEAR.

--Byrne DID IN FACT confront Gillispie about the records and Gillispie stumbled his way through the meeting.
NOT TRUE.

--Byrne told him, "While we are appreciative of the work you have done, you are not the only good coach in America, and if you are serious about leaving, my coaching search starts NOW"
NOT TRUE.

--Gillispie assured Byrne he would accept the contract.
HE DID ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THE CONTRACT. KENTUCKY CALLED AND MADE A BETTER OFFER. SO WHAT?

--Gillispie was a little perturbed at the fact that some promises took a while to fill.
TRUE., BUT SOME OF IT WAS HIS OWN FAULT BECAUSE OF CONSTANT CHANGES HE MADE IN THE PLANS.

--FBCG and Byrne had a working relationship and not a personal one. When they talked, it was business, and nothing else.
TRUE, BUT THAT'S THE SAME RELATIONSHIP BILLY HAD WITH EVERYONE HE WORKED WITH. THAT SAID, WHEN HE GAVE VITALE $50,000 FOR THE V-FOUNDATION IN FEBRAURY, HE GAVE IT IN THE NAME OF BYRNE'S WIFE.

--The rumor that they were not on speaking terms when he left is true.
NOT TRUE. THEY DID NOT SPEAK ALL THAT MUCH BUT IT WAS FOR THE ABOVE REASON. BILLY DID NOT HAVE MANY FRIENDS HERE NOR DID HE WANT THEM.

--A plane came from Arkie to visit/pick up Gillispie but was not here very long and turned around.
MAYBE. A PLANE FROM ARKANSAS WAS PARKED AT EASTERWOOD, BUT I HAVE SEEN OR HEARD NO PROOF THAT IT HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH GILLISPIE. PLANES FROM ARKANSAS HAVE BEEN PARKED AT EASTERWOOD MANY TIMES.

--FBCG used Arkie as much, if not worse, than he used A&M. They were very confident he was coming and they should have been.
HE WAS NEVER GOING TO ARKANSAS AND YES HE PROBABLY DID USE THEM. BRILLIANT IN MY OPINION.

--The Regents and Ath Dept and FBCG have had a rocky relationship for a few weeks now regarding some issues.
THE REGENTS HAVE VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH ANYTHING. THAT WAS A CLUE THAT THIS POSTER WAS OFF BASE.

--Byrne has a clear #1 and that #1 is Tim Floyd. He is going to throw the bank at him. No word on who else makes up the rest of the short list.
TIME WILL TELL ON THIS ONE.
claym711
AG
What I have heard from managers for the team is that he wanted them all fired when he first got there (did not want any managers at all) and was a real a-hole to them all.
BaronVonAggie
AG
Monkeyaround, sounds about right. Some Aggies sound as bad as Arkies who flat out lie to save face.

We'd be better off just accepting things as they are without trying to assasinate anyones character.

BCG didnt act perfectly, but its all irrelevant at this point he's gone. The sooner Aggies let him go the better.
AgDotCom
quote:
THE REGENTS HAVE VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH ANYTHING.

I know one of the regents personally. I have visited with him face to face several times annually over the past couple of years in both business and social environments. Being respectful of his position which can sometimes be sensitive I don't ask questions about A&M athletics unless he initiates the conversation. I can tell you for a fact that certain regents are VERY interested in what's going on with the football program, and given their position I seriously doubt they have "little to do with anything".

I have never discussed basketball with this person, although I will be seeing someone very close to this same individual tomorrow and I'll probably ask them about what is alleged on this thread. They may or may not know anything about the subject matter.

As for your other responses, they seem somewhat plausible although I disagree with BCG working Arkansas as "brilliant". AD's across the country will remember this if and when things don't pan out at UK. I do appreciate all the responses you gave, however, regardless if I disagree with them or not. It gives us more information to ponder and hopefully leads us to a more accurate conclusion.
BaronVonAggie
AG
The sad thing is if you win all is forgiven. Look at that piece of **** Huggins.

MexAgs
Monkey knows nothing. I too have insider info but for the sake of [edit]'s position at the university I will not say a thing until after the meeting. Most of what Gravy said is true, just wait til morning.
But then again, who are you gonna trust, a monkey, a guy named Balls, or a Meskin who like-a do tha cha-cha?

[Don't be looking up my profile either, I have eyes all over Texags.]
BTW, if this post has been edited by someone else claiming to be Tex-Mex, I know exactly who you are so quit using my password.

[This message has been edited by Tex-Mex (edited 4/7/2007 11:21p).]
Tag77
monkeyaround

I wish him the best at his life long dream but he would have bolted for Arky if UK had not called him back a few weeks ago to tell him he is their man.

He is what he is and that is a hired gun with little respect for anything except himself.

He also has little stubbie fingers which tells me why he cant get along with women at least like a MAN should. I bet he covers his short comings with a check....HAHAHAHA
91AggieLawyer
AG
quote:
Many of you are demanding a rational explanation for all of this, and worse, defining rational in terms of your irrational attachment to a particular school, namely Texas A&M.

Changing the word, irrational, to emotional would make this statement not only highly insightful, but absolutely true. Leaving it the way it is, however, makes it stupid. There is nothing irrational about anyone's attachment to A&M.
tree91
AG
I don't know who is posting the truth and who is posting part of the truth.

What I do know is that FBCG is gone and he can kiss my maroon ass.
OdessaAg
AG
i agree with what Charlie had to say, ive known some little things about what was going on in the Athletic Department, but didnt wanna say anything because i didnt wanna be killed on here
cone
AG
quote:
You are all a bunch of sour grapes morons.

FWIW I had heard a lot of what Ball Gravy put out there a week ago (back when we all were still in love with BCG), so you can save your sour grapes routine.
agcoop10
AG
VERY interesting thread. As I think to be prudent, I tend to take info on here with a grain of salt, but enough people agree with Gravy that I'm at least partially convinced of his story. Strength in numbers I suppose...

monkey, in the words of Strong Bad, you just broke about every rule of internet typing. Hit caps lock, buddy. And if you are essentially saying the same thing as Gravy ("I have a story, take it or leave it" ), then why go off on him and everyone else like you did? Just say "I have a story, take it or leave it".

Also, I agree with the whole "agree with the business decision, disagree with the man's character" sentiment. I'm ready to move on and win some more basketball games next season!

[This message has been edited by agcoop10 (edited 4/7/2007 11:56p).]

[This message has been edited by agcoop10 (edited 4/7/2007 11:57p).]
AgDotCom
In fairness I think monkey was using caps simply to differentiate his response from the text he was responding to.
bogustrumper
AG
good stuff

too bad FBG didn't want to be here but it is starting to make sense

what a sorry POS ...simply incredible and we all bought into it because A&M won a lot of games for three seasons ...I guess when those are the first winning seasons in almost 20 years that will happen

can't help it but the guy is a liar ...those kids know it now and that is sad
bqce
AG
I say we forget the previous coach and focus on the current team and recruits. We have an AD who will focus on the next coach. Let's get on with Aggie basketball and ignore anything not associated with where we are and where we're going. This way, we don't have to worry about who knew what about whom when.
AggieLit
This thread makes me wish I had sources inside the Athletic Department.

I have sources inside the English Department, but it just isn't the same....
AG 05
AG
I agree with the above poster who said it best that "it doesn't take a leap of faith to believe".

A few things convince me that Ball Gravy's posts are at least mostly true:

1. The mods pulled, then replaced the thread. Usually they seem to know what is going on. Or in a similiar situation, they revisited AggieGrant's thread after it was proved to be correct.

2. Too many posters on here have corroberating (sp?) stories for everything to be a out and out lie. If it was all a lie, a lot more posters would be defending tkc.

3. Character issues about with our former coach. The crap about how much he loved our University, loved being here, and then was out of town a week later just burns me. Also, the garbage about "I'm just a country boy. A handshake type of guy" screams arrogance. Especially after he had the equivalent, if not an actual handshake with Bill Byrne and the BOR.

4. All in all, where there is smoke there is fire. WAY WAY too much smoke came out of the Arkansas situation for me not to think that something truly was afoot.

5. "I don't lie to my players." Obviously that is a load of crap as well.

In the end, I don't blame him for leaving for Kentucky. It is truly the PREMIER job in college basketball. I do have have an issue with the way he left and what he said on his way out the door.
f1ghtintexasaggie
AG 05...I'm glad someone else caught your #5--I clearly remember him saying this when questioned in San Antonio.

AggieLit...I laughed.
Old Army 83
AG
ttt
Real Lennay Kekua
AG
I can't believe I believed what Billy had said all along. I feel like a wife that believed all the lies her husband told her about what was going on at the office.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.