Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

380,927 Views | 3348 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by bmc13
Kyle98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kegged and bottled the IPA last night, so I should be all set for Labor of Love!
fav13andac1)c
AG
What is this Labor of Love y'all keep mentioning and where is it?
Kyle98
AG
Homebrew competition at Deep Ellum Brewing on Sept 6th. I entered a couple of beers.
Kyle98
AG
Homebrew competition at Deep Ellum Brewing on Sept 6th.
Kyle98
AG
Homebrew competition at Deep Ellum Brewing on Sept 6th.
Kyle98
AG
Holy server hiccup and triple post of doom Batman!
WorkBoots09
AG
Triple post... I thought that was just a myth...

I was unable to brew the Tamarindo Gose I wanted to enter into LOL, so I'm sending in my rosemary wit again with a few minor tweaks based on last year's comment sheets. I'm also sending in my Russian Imperial Stout, and I'll have a few variations of it on hand to pour at the event: chipotle and Mexican vanilla.
WorkBoots09
AG
Oh and I have a new blog post up if y'all are interested.

New Main Brewing - Brew Schedule Update
Kyle98
AG
I use the "Merica! bottle caps as well! I'm checking out the Operation Bravo site, I might have to enter that one.
AggieOO
i have a bunch of those merica caps, but i'm kegging now, so rarely use them.
WorkBoots09
AG
We wrote a blog post for the AHA rally at Community this past Saturday. It was a great time. If one is coming to a brewery near you, definitely go and hang out with other brewers. They had a bunch of books for door prizes and the grand prize was a 10 or 15 gallon kettle with ball valve, volume markings, and a thermometer.

AHA Rally at Community Beer Co.
Connd
A few questions, has anyone used gelatin and cold crashing to clarify beer and if so how well did it work, or was another method used that worked better? And going from cold crashing to room tempature while bottling and storing did the beer skunk in any way? Thanks.
Robert C. Christian
AG
quote:
A few questions, has anyone used gelatin and cold crashing to clarify beer and if so how well did it work, or was another method used that worked better? And going from cold crashing to room tempature while bottling and storing did the beer skunk in any way? Thanks.
Can't speak to bottle conditioning, but I have done gelatin + cold crashing with a kegged beer. It worked out really well and compared about the same as my usual method. I usually just use whirlfloc + cold crashing, but some forgot to add it in during the boil. There is no way the beer could of had anything to do with it. No way.
Connd
Thanks!
AggieOO
we decided to have an oktoberfest party, but its obviously way too late to do any lagering. I've seen some posts online about using a Kolsch yeast with an Oktoberfest grain bill to achieve a similar beer in 6-8 weeks rather than 6-8 months. I realize it won't be exactly the same, but anyone done this (or another method)?

I have a fermentation chamber, so that's not an issue, time is. Will likely brew this weekend.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Traditional lagering was to store the beer from the spring when it was cool enough to ferment for the end of summer/harvest season. You have time to brew an octoberfest, ferment it out and when you keg it, hit it with gelatine. Should be perfect in 8 weeks.
AggieOO
i understand the history, but almost all the stuff i'm seeing online is to store/lager your oktoberfest for 6+ months at like 35 degrees.
Sooner Born
Curious about this as well. I've been toying with the idea of a Mocktober fest with Ale yeast. My Google skillz show that WY1007 looks to be a popular substitute.
jock itch
Funny timing as I just ordered the malt for our Festbier this morning after realizing we only had ~ 8 weeks until our party.

*IMO at least* You absolutely, positively do not need to lager for 6+ months with a modern lager fermentation schedule. Obviously it's going to depend on OG, which particular strain you use, etc...but last year we turned ours around in 5 weeks (~1.056) and it tasted great, dropped super clear w/o any finings, and overall was a huge hit. We actually found a keg we forgot about a month or two ago that had been sitting in our cold room untapped, and from what I remember it tasted very similar to the way it did at week 5.
AggieOO
jock - so if i brewed this weekend, i could ferment out, cold crash, keg, and let it condition until 10/10 with no issues? I almost ran down to AHS today, but figured I'd wait to see what other replies showed up.

Alaksa - thanks for the input as well.

poked around homebrewtalk, but most of the threads i saw on there were advising to go with ale yeast.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I'd still use lager yeast. I meant to brew one months ago but I am still thinking of doing it next weekend. It may taste better with months of age but it won't be anywhere close to bad younger.
Lots of traditional proceses are taken as holy writ when modern techniques and equipment render them moot.
Sooner Born
quote:
Lots of traditional proceses are taken as holy writ when modern techniques and equipment render them moot.
This happens in the world of BBQ so often too. If it isn't like they did it 100 years ago then it must be terrible.
AggieOO
thanks. looks like i'm brewing this weekend...or maybe thursday. i might have to head out of town, so gotta fit it in. After the Marzen, I have to get my dunkel brewed and a hefe. Should be fun, especially since i have 10 gallons of saison and golden wheat that needs to be cleared out to make room!
danieljustin06
AG
Well now y'all are making me want to have a Oktoberfest party and I need to start brewing....
Luckily, the oktoberfest is ready now and all I need is the hefe and other good beer to get drunk on.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Anybody have any good 1 gallon pumpkin ale recipes? My 5 gallon setup will be in use in October, and I don't think I could give away 5 gallons of pumpkin beer to anyone I know.
Sooner Born
Northern Brewer has a 1 gallon Pumpkin Extract recipe.
fav13andac1)c
AG
I was considering doing that one. It's pretty inexpensive. If I can't find one until October, I might do that one. I wanted to use fresh roasted pumpkin, if possible, which I have easy access to in October. Thank you for the suggestion!
fav13andac1)c
AG
Oh snap, they've made that northern brewer kit adaptable for if you want to use fresh pumpkin. I didn't realize that! I might give that one a shot.
fav13andac1)c
AG

Bottled almost a gallon's worth of this American IPA. Decided to pour a little and see how it tasted, and it was really good for being my first ever precarbonated fermented beer. I was really happy with the color as well. Can't wait to see what it tastes like once some of the flavors mellow out and it's carbonated.

I know most, if not all, on this thread don't brew 1 gallon batches but here's the recipe if anyone cares to see it. They do have a 5 gallon version of it as well.

http://www.bullcityhomebrew.com/recipes.aspx?id=American%20IPA%20(One%20Gallon).xml
AggieOO
Brewed oktoberfest today.

Kegged *****ly pear saison and a golden wheat.

Next weekend will probably be dunkelweizen.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Which yeast? I plan to brew the same this weekend and use WLP oktoberfest and WLP german bock, do a blend of yeasts since my HBM had only 1 via each
AggieOO
i normally go with White Labs, but got the Wyeast 2633 Octoberfest Lager Blend. When he asked what yeast, for some reason I said wyeast instead of white labs and didn't realize it until i got home.
RustyBoltz
AG
I brewed an AG Oktoberfest in mid July. I did a modified doubled decoction with a grain bill I pieced together from different recipes and pitched saflager w-34/70.
I took a tasting when we racked to secondary and it tasted very promising. It's right on schedule for October and based on the gravity reading after primary, this Rustoberfest should be just over 6%.
jock itch
Our local Karbach sales rep stopped by yesterday w/ a few samples of this year's Karbachtoberfest...talk about weird timing considering we were literally in the middle of brewing our Festbier. Oops, seems like everybody is releasing theirs earlier and earlier. Oh well, competing w/ the likes of Karbach head to head isn't exactly a winning proposition long term...Oktoberfest is just fun as hell!

Figured I'd post a few pics. Last year's malt bill was 80/20 Vienna/Munich, but we decided it would be fun to change it every year so ended up going w/ 50/50 Vienna/Munich this time. Yeast is just 2nd generation W-34/70 and ~150 pounds of it. Looks like the date is going to be Oct 3rd, so hope yall can make it out and let me know how much it sucks.

dave99ag
AG
It'll be the first thing I do if we can make it out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.