Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

380,947 Views | 3348 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by bmc13
Moxie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks. That's what I will try when my Sour Wheat is ready to keg. Putting 3lbs of blackberries on it this afternoon for a week or so.
Moxie
AG
Looking into new fermenters which allow closed transfers. What do you all have?

Also, bought a $40 apartment fridge from Craiglist last night so I finally have room for a real fermenter under temperature control!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Nice
Moxie
AG
Being in a college town has its perks
62strat
AG
Moxie said:

Looking into new fermenters which allow closed transfers. What do you all have?

Also, bought a $40 apartment fridge from Craiglist last night so I finally have room for a real fermenter under temperature control!

I got a spike cf10 and love it. I also got a craigslist score; upright freezer for about $50, so I use a double stage temp controller for it. Cf10 fits in the upright nicely.

Moxie
AG
Bump. Any SS Brew Bucket owners?
62strat
AG
I compared SSbrewtech and spike extensively before I purchased. What is attracting you to the brew bucket? You can't pressure transfer on those I don't believe (granted I was looking at the ss chronical)
AlaskanAg99
AG
I wouldn't go stainless FB without the ability to do pressure transfers. Eliminating O2 pickup will make your beer last longer fresh.
txagfisher
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

I wouldn't go stainless FB without the ability to do pressure transfers. Eliminating O2 pickup will make your beer last longer fresh.

+1 on this. I'm using a SSBT unitank with a DIY glycol chiller and it helped take my beer to the next level. I also pressure ferment through a keg to eliminate as much o2 as possible.
62strat
AG
If you're looking at SSBB, you should check out spike flex.

$250 gets you a stainless bucket that has loads of upgrade-able options like temp control, carbonation ability and all sorts of other things, but out of the box you can do pressure transfer (with parts you likely already have).
You can add on to it as you want it/can afford it. You can basically turn it into a CF5 Unitank, except for the dump port.

Fittings was my one biggest complaint against SS brewtech. They have a great product with the Chronical, but for some unknown reason they use a weldless fitting at the sample port and thermoprobe (and the racking port on the brew bucket). This is a major fail IMO. Spike is 100% welded TC fittings for every port/accessory. No tools necessary.

When I see this:

All I can imagine is me with a wrench in there trying to hold that nut to tighten or loosen and scratching the inside to hell. Such a bad design yet such a simple fix.
AlaskanAg99
AG
On a fermenter there's no reason to go with weldless fittings. You're spending the dough so might as well spend it on proper welded fittings. In there long run it'll be worth it.
lne2011
AG
62strat said:

When I see this:

All I can imagine is me with a wrench in there trying to hold that nut to tighten or loosen and scratching the inside to hell. Such a bad design yet such a simple fix.

*Breathes heavily in unwanted bacteria*
Ornlu
AG
I've pressure transferred my carboys before....
Moxie
AG
I'll definitely check out the spike setup. Thanks for the reccs.

Transferred my blackberry sour last night after pushing out a full keg's worth of sanitizer so that the receiving keg was only CO2. Excited to see how it affects the beer but it easily doubled my time spent getting all of the equipment ready to transfer. I need to work on quick disconnect parts and premade transfer hoses and connections.

Thanks for the idea, AlaskanAg99.
Ornlu
AG
Alright, brewday up this weekend. Starting the starter tonight, and also kegging my porter.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/900613/triple-chocolate-stout

It'll get 3oz of coco powder in the mash, and 3oz of bakers chocolate in the boil.

Half the batch will get 3lbs of raspberries added about 5 days into fermentation. The other half will get 1oz of coconibs and 2oz of ghodiva syrup.

lne2011
AG
Any reason you add the Cocoa Powder to the mash instead of the boil or flame out?
AlaskanAg99
AG
Moxie said:

Transferred my blackberry sour last night after pushing out a full keg's worth of sanitizer so that the receiving keg was only CO2. Excited to see how it affects the beer but it easily doubled my time spent getting all of the equipment ready to transfer. I need to work on quick disconnect parts and premade transfer hoses and connections.

Thanks for the idea, AlaskanAg99.

Just remember to disassemble keg QD's after transfer to clean and sanitize them. That'll probably be your biggest source for possible bugs.

I need to wash something like 8 kegs and get them waterfalling with sanitizer.
Ornlu
AG
Just to incorporate it early into the flavors as depth. Baker's chocolate has to be in boil to volatilize all the fat, and coconibs have to be in secondary to get the oak notes. This is my 5th time with this recipe, and depth of flavor is key, so I like to spread the chocolate across all brew steps.
62strat
AG
Moxie said:

spike has some flex and CF deals in the bargain cave right now.

https://spikebrewing.com/collections/bargain-cave
$75 off flex+

$300 is a great price for stainless vessel with 15 psi pressure capability.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Anyone looking to get into kegging, this is a spectacular deal on Ball Lock kegs for $29.95. Lowest price I've seen, ever.

I've ordered from kegconnection several times and they are awesome. Texas company as well.

https://www.kegconnection.com/ball-lock-b-grade-keg/
62strat
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Anyone looking to get into kegging, this is a spectacular deal on Ball Lock kegs for $29.95. Lowest price I've seen, ever.

I've ordered from kegconnection several times and they are awesome. Texas company as well.

https://www.kegconnection.com/ball-lock-b-grade-keg/
those are used, and B-rate as well.
It's also $40 after shipping and tax. Thats not that great of a deal... I'd say that's typical.

I usually get used kegs on Craigslist, you can get em for $30 pretty easily around here. I picked a few at $20 last summer.

I've also picked up brand new kegs for $65 on Homebrewing.org
fav13andac1)c
AG
7.95 flat rate. Buy 4 and it's cheaper. If you're getting into kegging, you'll buy 3 or so, and some other great products from that same site to get going.

The outside may be dinged up, but they are still 5 gallons and will still hold pressure. And they will be sitting in a keezer a lot of the time. It's what's on the inside that counts.
62strat
AG
My advice to anyone who is ever expanding and evolving setups, join some homebrew facebook groups in your metro, and/or a club.

Homebrewers generally almost give away equipment to other homebrewers. That's where I picked up kegs last summer for $20.. a homebrew FB group. I've picked up a free fridge that came with a faucet and tank/regulator, etc etc..

Paying it forward is just kind of a thing in this group.
fav13andac1)c
AG
What an awesome group to be a part of!! More power to you.
lne2011
AG
Anyone have experience doing kettle sours? I'm hesitant to use lactobacillus do to infection risks. But, I came across this article that mentioned you can use lactobacillus in the kettle for 1-3 days then boil to kill the lactobacillus.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/blogs/brewing-techniques/kettle-souring-made-easy
Chipotlemonger
AG
Never have tried one. I like sour beers and respect what brewers do with them, but I don't make enough beer to warrant the risk of messing up equipment longer term at this point. Plus, the idea of downing a whole batch of sour over time doesn't sound as appealing as other styles in a keg.
Moxie
AG
Did a kettle sour a couple months ago. American wheat recipe which I mashed then brought up to 170 and cooled to 110. Inoculated with Goodbelly drink overnight in the garage. By 18 hrs, it was down to 3.3pH so I boiled, added hops, and fermented with WLP-029 Kolsch yeast. After that, I put 3lbs of blackberries on it for another week or so.

It's been in a keg for a couple months and, while I do enjoy it, it's not the fastest moving beer I have ever made. I would do it again. The souring part was stupid easy and I haven't had any problems with contamination on newer batches.
62strat
AG
Moxie said:

If you didn't already move on this, 25% off spike flex and flex+ for cyber monday.

https://spikebrewing.com/pages/flex

$375 down to $281 or $250 down to $187.
Price reflected in cart.
Moxie
AG
You're the best!
Ornlu
AG
lne2011 said:

Anyone have experience doing kettle sours? I'm hesitant to use lactobacillus do to infection risks. But, I came across this article that mentioned you can use lactobacillus in the kettle for 1-3 days then boil to kill the lactobacillus.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/blogs/brewing-techniques/kettle-souring-made-easy
This is the only way that I'll do sours from now on.

Yes, a HUGE plus of the style is the anti-infection protocol. Just fire up the kettle and the nasty bacteria die.

Things to consider before you start:
  • How sour is sour enough? Gotta buy a pH meter and test some sour beers that you like to be sure. Keep in mind that pH will rise by 0.1 to 0.5 in the fermenter and then drop 0.2 to 0.3 inside the keg shell due to aquaeous C02 --> carbonic acid.
  • How to keep O2 out during the fermentation? You don't have to fully airlock your kettle, but you need to be able to keep almost all O2 out.
  • How to hold temperature in the range where the lacto likes it. Most lacto like the temp in the 102 to 112 range. I chose to GENTLY fire the kettle to warm the wort back up to 110 and then wrap with blankets to hold temp until it hit 95. Rinse and repeat.
AR_Ag95
AG
Does anyone know where I can purchase Potassium Sorbate in Houston? I need at least 6 lbs of it in powder form. I need by Wednesday of this week and willing to make the drive in a 3 hour radius. Unfortunately our supplier dropped the ball and now we are scrambling.

Thanks!!

Edit:

NM...Midwest Supplies to the rescue!
fav13andac1)c
AG
Wife and kid are out of town this weekend, so I'm brewing for the first time since September!! House IPA.

Anyone else brewing this weekend?
Ornlu
AG
No, but I will be next weekend. Need to order ingredients.

What style should I brew? My kegerator's full of chocolate stout, raspberry stout, Porter, steam ale, and double IPA - so not those.
bmc13
AG
I'll be waiting until next week when I have some downtime. probably an IPA to start with, and maybe a barleywine after.
Kyle98
AG
Just started on an ordinary bitter. I'll post the recipe later. Looking for grain to glass in 12 days.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.