Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

380,943 Views | 3348 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by bmc13
Ornlu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kyle98 said:

Just started on an ordinary bitter. I'll post the recipe later. Looking for grain to glass in 12 days.

I just noticed that you're the same poster who started this legendary thread.

How's it feel to have started a 73+ page thread?
AlaskanAg99
AG
He needs to come up with a Homage Ale that we all brew when it hits 100 pages.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'm down!
Chipotlemonger
AG
That being said I haven't been able to brew since moving this summer...current place really isn't set up for doing much more than small batches.

I wanted to get some flip top bottles and brew a 1-gallon batch after the holidays. What kind of beer would make it worth my while? Any good strong ale recs?
Ornlu
AG
Barleywine.
Kyle98
AG
Ornlu said:

Kyle98 said:

Just started on an ordinary bitter. I'll post the recipe later. Looking for grain to glass in 12 days.

I just noticed that you're the same poster who started this legendary thread.

How's it feel to have started a 73+ page thread?
I'm in awe of how long this has gone on. I haven't been active much in the last year and a half or so. Staying super busy, but I do try to at least read all the posts, even if I'm not contributing much these days. I need to brew the original recipe from the OP soon.

As for brew day yesterday:

The Gunners Best Bitter
OG: 1.041
Calculated IBUs: 41 (a bit high to style, the EKG I got was higher in AA than anticipated, but I didn't cut back the additions)

No water adjustments. That's my next goal. Mash for 60 minutes at 152*F. Overshot a tad and mashed in at 153*. It was down to 151 after 30 minutes, so heated back to 152. Only down to 151.5 by the end. Hit my expected gravity into boil and all volumes were really close.

8.75 lbs Maris Otter
0.5 lbs English Crystal 60L
0.25 lbs Special Roast

1.5oz EKG @ 60
0.5oz EKG @ 30
1oz EKG @ flameout

30 min whirlpool/cooldown

Thanks to the cool weather, after 30 minutes it was below 70*F, so transferred to fermenter and into fermentation chamber to cool to 74*F to pitch. OG was 1.040 so just barely missed my target. I'll take it.

Used 2 packs of Wyeast 1318 (London Ale III. This was a last-minute decision, so I didn't have time to do a starter. Slight underpitch, but not by much. Hopefully won't have a big effect. It's happily bubbling away at 64* right now. I'll bump it up to 68* later this afternoon and let it rider there for 3 or 4 days. Should be done by then, so I'll cold crash for a few more days once its done, then keg and force carb. Ready to drink NYE is the goal.
Kyle98
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

He needs to come up with a Homage Ale that we all brew when it hits 100 pages.
Good idea. I'll start playing with some ideas.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Finally brewing again. 18 gallons of a "Harvest" APA. Built off the New Belgium Hoptober with flaked oats, rye, red wheat, barley a touch of C77 and then all the fun hops added post boil. Experimenting with controlling the flashoff of the essential oils so additions will be made below 160F for a 20min stand. About 5% ABV when finished and Crystal clear.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Pretty good deal on kegs at Austin Homebrew right now. Used for $39.
AlaskanAg99
AG
And I had my efficiency set wrong so it'll be 6% and I hope my bitterness isn't too far off. I grabbed and modified an older recipe that was built using my batch sparge system. Sculpture is 15% more efficient.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Brewing a batch for the first time since about March or so this weekend! 1-gallon only, unfortunately. Deciding between a couple options...a Belgian IPA and some Oatmeal Stout. Not sure which I will make first.

Following that up with a 10-gallon brew next weekend at someone else's house.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Just spent a grip on upgrades, mostly for 5 3-way valves and SS QD fittings so i can simplify my 2 pump setup so I don't have to move lines around as much. Very bad back.

Next week I'm brewing a 90 Shilling with a friend.
After that is a Helles.
cgary11
AG
Just finished a triple decoction Pilsner.. walked away as I was filling up my new brew bucket, and my valve was open. Lost 1.5 gallons all over the garage floor.

Think I would know the importance of checking valves working in refining. Doh

Luckily I just tapped a SMaSH with Strata hops. Didn't get the dank from them but dang the Berry came through.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Pour one out...

Too soon?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Well, was gonna brew today but I don't have my PBW and StarSan. Forgot I didn't move with them. No homebrew shops open today nearby. Another time!
Ornlu
AG
Amazon 1-day?
AlaskanAg99
AG
Anyone have Spike kettles with the 5/8ths pickup for the boil kettle? I have more beer kettles and the 3/8ths pickup got clogged with hops so bad after the session was done I has to remove it and jam the hops back out.

The Spike is larger and has a push in functionality, curious as to reviews on that.
Ornlu
AG
I made some hopped blueberry applewine today. Took some Gambles:

2lb blueberries
2lbs brown sugar
14 cans of frozen apple juice concentrate
1oz Cascade hops
4 gallons of water
11g us-05 yeast
2oz analyse enzyme

Ended us at 1.084 grav. Should finish near 0.994 grav, so 12% abv. We'll see how it goes.
cgary11
AG
Want to take my current 1" element hole 1" to 1 5/8" to install a weld less TC fitting. Has anyone ever done that? Would a knockout punch be my best bet? Concerned I might warp the metal somehow.

Might just find a weld shop to weld one.
Ornlu
AG
You could use a conical step bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Meich-Forstner-Drilling-Woodworking-Triangle/dp/B07QXXTHWJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr1_2?keywords=60mm+conical+step+drill+bit&qid=1580004750&sr=8-2-fkmr1
AlaskanAg99
AG
If adding a TC fitting, get it welded. The whole point is to be sanitary and a weldless fitting isn't.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Kegged my Golden/APA last night. 5.8%. FG 1.012

Working on some lighter ABV beers. This one can't decides if it should be a Blond Ale or an APA. 38 IBU and OG was 1.050. I suppose it's still more of a Golden/Blond ale.

Brewing an IPA this weekend. Then a pause before a Helles.
Ornlu
AG
Ornlu said:

I made some hopped blueberry applewine today. Took some Gambles:

2lb blueberries
2lbs brown sugar
14 cans of frozen apple juice concentrate
1oz Cascade hops
4 gallons of water
11g us-05 yeast
2oz analyse enzyme

Ended us at 1.084 grav. Should finish near 0.994 grav, so 12% abv. We'll see how it goes.

This has been going a a slow but steady clip for 5 days now. About 1 bubble every 3 seconds. It never really got going strong.

Should I do anything about it?
AlaskanAg99
AG
Let it run. Unless there's mold growing on it you should be good.

We are also doing some 1 gallon meads to understand that whole process. I need to get more juice from HEB in the 1 gallon glass jugs, start a cider and get 3-4 more meads going.
Chipotlemonger
AG
What temp you running it at?
Ornlu
AG
68F
AlaskanAg99
AG
I would have thought US05 would have ripped through that by now. If it's actively fermenting you could pull a sample and not sweat O2 pickup. For a 5 gallon batch a hydrometer sample might be worth it.
If it's below 1.005 just keg it and crash cool it if the sample tastes fine.
Ornlu
AG
Still bubbling away today. I'll check grav tonight.

Do you think pH is slowing the US-05 down? I bet it's about 3.2 or 3.3.
AlaskanAg99
AG
You probably need to degass it. either pick it up and.awirl it or if you have a wine degassing wand, stick it in there. Mine attaches to a drill. I'll set it up, run it in PBW, then in star San to make sure there's no hidden bugs, then into the cider.

This'll also stir up all your yeast so it may kick off and finish quickly.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea I'd just give the container a whirl and re-cap it with the blowoff.
cgary11
AG
Finished my first RIS last night, 1.109.

Have had some vanilla beans soaking in 2 cups of whiskey for a couple of months, when should I throw those in? When it goes in Secondary?

Plan on primary for 2-3 weeks and secondary for a few months. Will also throw in the bourbon soaked chips to taste before bottling.
Ornlu
AG
Delicate flavors are often more dependant on the nose than the tongue. If you add too early, the vanilla smell (and hence most of it's flavor) will be blown off with all the CO2 generated during primary. I'd add it about 5 days after your fermentation calms down.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Didn't have a worm clamp tight enough on brand new beer line and I lost an entire keg of APA I just kegged.

I had the sadness.
fav13andac1)c
AG
I'm sorry to hear that!
sanitariex
AG
I feel your pain. I recently took apart my faucets and gave them a good cleaning, had a worn out o-ring that didn't seat completely, came out one morning and saw a trail of dried up beer running out of the garage. An entire keg full of ESB that I hadn't even tried yet. Very sad day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.