Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

380,944 Views | 3348 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by bmc13
Moxie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you ever get up around BCS I'll give an honest review
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I've mailed samples with good success before
Ornlu
AG
Have you ever heard of this place?

Pappy's Homebrew
Pappy 3334 Old Goliad Rd
Victoria, TX 77905
(361) 576-1077

Supposedly it's a Homebrew shop.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I stumbled onto their website once. Honestly it seemed like a farce.

http://www.pappysgeneralstore.com/

Maybe I should go check them out. One google review from 5 months ago said it's mostly a wine shop
Ornlu
AG
Where I was going with the question is that a local home brew shop can be a great place to meet people that you can swap homebrew with.
AlaskanAg99
AG
If anything stop in and ask if they get a lot of homebrewers in. Most clubs start that way "hey, let's meet up and share what we make". Doesn't have to be any more formal than that.
aTm '99
Ornlu
AG
This has been in the fermenter for 5 days at 67. Still getting 1 bubble every 2 or 3 seconds.
Chipotlemonger
AG
So I brewed that IPA a week ago, still need to dry hop then cold crash...was thinking start the dry hop maybe Tuesday or Wednesday then cold crash start between Friday and Sunday with kegging on Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week. That schedule seem alright? Not getting any more airlock bubbles. used US-05 and I think it's done a good job.
62strat
AG
Wanted to pull the trigger so bad on a used true fridge with a glass door for my fermentation unit, but convinced myself to save the $500 and go with $100 upright freezer. Maybe in a few years I can get my glass front chamber.

Anyway scored a sparkling clean kenmore upright today for $80. Just need to buy my spike conical and I'll be on my way to precise temp control 24/7/365.

Within the last few days, my garage appliance number swelled to 5; a keezer, a beer fridge, an upright freezer, a single faucet full size fridge/freezer kegerator, and a single faucet dorm size kegerator

Both kegerators are for sale and will help fund the spike!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Bottled (for the first time) last night. Was an epic fail. I think that the capper I have is off on its functional tolerance. Kept getting crooked caps. It took way too much finesse to get a good, flat sealed cap on the bottle. I actually only ended up with currently 7 capped bottles for a 1-gallon batch. Bottles 8 and 9 were hissing when I inspected them.

Think I went through 75+ caps just to get those 7. I feel confident in maybe 4 of them.
Ornlu
AG
Could be the bottles too. Mine doesn't like reused Saint Arnolds, Real Ale, or Dos Equis bottles. It prefers reused New Belgium and Sam Adams.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I used a mix of Alaska and Sierra Nevada bottles. I thought about that as well but didn't mention in my post.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Hand wing capper or bench capper?
aTm '99
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hand wing
Chipotlemonger
AG
Any of y'all ever brew an imperial red ale? Drinking one right now and it's pretty good. Wouldn't mind having my own.
Ornlu
AG
I've done a velvet hammer clone. I'm on about my 4th try. Got the malt balance, minerals, and color right, but I haven't found the hops balance I want yet.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Hand wing

Those things are straight garbage. Buy a bench capper and never look back. It's a crime those things are sold with starter kits.

Everyone else, buy a bench capper. You will always need it, even if you keg. It's a solid upgrade/investment.
aTm '99
Ornlu
AG
Anybody done an India Pale Lager?

Which yeast strain did you use?
Kyle98
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Any of y'all ever brew an imperial red ale? Drinking one right now and it's pretty good. Wouldn't mind having my own.

I did once, on accident. Got really high efficiency on a standard red a couple of years ago, and ended up with a much higher OG than planned. Turned out great, though
62strat
AG
I cloned bjs jeremiah red about 10 years ago as one of the first beers I ever did. I do enjoy that beer.
62strat
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Hand wing

Those things are straight garbage. Buy a bench capper and never look back. It's a crime those things are sold with starter kits.

Everyone else, buy a bench capper. You will always need it, even if you keg. It's a solid upgrade/investment.

I used a hand wing for 10 batches, never had an issue. But it was the red one. The cheaper black one is crap.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Brewed my first lager today, an Amber lager. Guess I should expect it around the new year? Came in below the gravity target, but I'm good with a light Amber.
Ornlu
AG
Yeah that's the right time frame.
62strat
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Brewed my first lager today, an Amber lager. Guess I should expect it around the new year? Came in below the gravity target, but I'm good with a light Amber.
don't forget diacetyl rest when it's about 90% done fermenting. Then let it sit a month. Even 6 weeks of you can wait. Lagers benefit from time.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I can definitely wait.

What temp do y'all all normally target for that rest period? I see a broad range of 60-70 recommended. Figured I go for the nominal 68 and let it ride.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Well...the hard part is when you go to crash cool is how to prevent O2 pickup.

Real PITA.

Ideally you go to D rest, then to keg and crash under pressure. The flip argument is because you pulled it off the yeast the quality won't be as good.

I go with the former because of my setup.
aTm '99
Chipotlemonger
AG
For cold crashing I have a stopper setup with a small length of hose and a ball valve. Close valve and insert stopper for cold crash, backfill valve with very light pressure of CO2 when I want to remove the stopper, then open valve to backfill the fermentation chamber with CO2 (1-2 PSI only). Think I could do this just fine on the lager too.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
62strat said:

Wanted to pull the trigger so bad on a used true fridge with a glass door for my fermentation unit, but convinced myself to save the $500 and go with $100 upright freezer. Maybe in a few years I can get my glass front chamber.

Anyway scored a sparkling clean kenmore upright today for $80. Just need to buy my spike conical and I'll be on my way to precise temp control 24/7/365.

Within the last few days, my garage appliance number swelled to 5; a keezer, a beer fridge, an upright freezer, a single faucet full size fridge/freezer kegerator, and a single faucet dorm size kegerator

How much for the dorm sized kegerator? Very interested
- RIP SEABASS
- VADER WAS MISUNDERSTOOD
62strat
AG
Collard Greens said:

62strat said:

Are you in Denver?
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
62strat said:

Collard Greens said:

62strat said:

Are you in Denver?
Houston, but depending on how much you are asking freight would still be cheaper than buying a new one online and I would rather my money go to another aggie than someone else!
- RIP SEABASS
- VADER WAS MISUNDERSTOOD
62strat
AG
Well I've already got two people coming to look at it tonight.
It's pretty rough shape.. it's an $800 unit, I've got it at about $150 for its condition. There is no finished top (it's an under counter mount type) and the faucet is generic and pretty filthy. It has a bum wheel, and the regulator's safety valve is finicky... I wouldn't sell it to you sight unseen.

I'm banking on the fact that it's cold. It's gonna take some TLC to get it purty again.
62strat
AG
62strat said:

Well I've already got two people coming to look at it tonight.
It's pretty rough shape.. it's an $800 unit, I've got it at about $150 for its condition. There is no finished top (it's an under counter mount type) and the faucet is generic and pretty filthy. It has a bum wheel, and the regulator's safety valve is finicky... I wouldn't sell it to you sight unseen.

I'm banking on the fact that it's cold. It's gonna take some TLC to get it purty again.
That kegerator is gone.

I profited $300 on a couple of steals I got on CL and FB, so now I don't have to sell my current conical for as much as planned. This is nice cause I haven't had any interest on it although it's listed on 3 different platforms, and like 6 different groups on FB.

Hope to have my spike unitank and fermentation chamber up and running here within a few weeks!
Got a dual stage inkbird and ceramic bulb on the way from amazon, just need the spike itself and a bit of misc electrical parts from lowes to get bulb hooked up.

62strat
AG
Anybody ever have a software formulated recipe not show up as the calculated color? My belgian dubbel is way lighter than beersmith shows it as being.

Calculated SRM was 16, and it's not much different looking than a previous brew I did that is a SRM 7.

Also, it's a redo with a few tweaks of a previous recipe..

before, my specialty additions were;
2lb caramunich 56
.5lb or aromatic 23, biscuit 23, and special B 130
1 lb dark candi sugar 0
1.5 clear candi sugar 75

This time it was
2lbs caramunch 56
.5lb aromatic 26 and biscuit 18
1 lb candi sugar 45
1 lb candi sugar 150

So Special B was left out, but dark sugar was added.. other than that, about the same, yet it's much lighter than that previous batch.

I'm guessing maybe the numbers of what I actually purchased were different than what I put in recipe. I usually take note of this and adjust recipe once I buy the ingredients, which I thought I remember doing for this batch.

Chipotlemonger
AG
62strat said:

Chipotlemonger said:

don't forget diacetyl rest when it's about 90% done fermenting. Then let it sit a month. Even 6 weeks of you can wait. Lagers benefit from time.
Sorry to change topics on you so quickly, 62strat.

The literature I keep seeing says to do the Diacetyl rest when the gravity reading is 2-5 points above my final target. Recipe sheet says to wait 10ish days for the rest. I've had a very active fermentation so far, so I'm thinking that this may not be the case.

Will it be pretty easy to visually tell when it's about 90% done fermenting? I would hate having to siphon out beer multiple times and wasting it just to get readings.
62strat
AG
10 days is a pretty good rule of thumb. You just don't want to do it when you're say only 50% done with fermentation. It needs to be towards the very end of fermentation or later, but not so long after fermentation that diacetyl has a chance to form. So don't do it 3 weeks in for example.

I'd say probably never sooner than 6-7 days, and never later than 15 or so. Definitely have wiggle room, it's not an exact time it needs to be done.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.