Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

380,934 Views | 3348 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by bmc13
fav13andac1)c
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
IronRed13 said:

Anyone have experience with heavily fruiting beer? Brew buddy and I working on a fruited Berliner and trying to figure out when and where to add the adjuncts.

We've got Vintners Harvest Strawberry and Pineapple pure, but also plan to add coconut and marshmallow fluff (clone of BaaBaa Lamb in a Jam Pia).

The Berliner has finished but we can't decide if we should crash, dump the yeast from the conical, then add everything just prior to closed transfer to keg, or add adjuncts to keg and transfer on top. We've got the keg hop stopper in place, but we're trying to decide which will have less clogging issues. Debating if we should pure the coconut as well.

Any thoughts?
FWIW, traditionally, Berliner Weisse is served straight with fruit syrups to flavor how you want it in the glass.

However, if you decide to add the fruit directly to the conical, you will likely get some fermentation from the added sugar.
IronRed13
AG
Hype trains don't care about tradition! We're trying to clone what i think is an exceptional example of the fruited sour craze. I think we're leaning towards dumping the conical, letting it resettle for a second yeast dump then adding everything just prior to kegging.

We do expect some secondary fermentation but will keep cold and drink quickly. Bottle bombs have been frequent problem for breweries doing this "style"
lne2011
AG
IronRed13 said:

Hype trains don't care about tradition! We're trying to clone what i think is an exceptional example of the fruited sour craze. I think we're leaning towards dumping the conical, letting it resettle for a second yeast dump then adding everything just prior to kegging.

We do expect some secondary fermentation but will keep cold and drink quickly. Bottle bombs have been frequent problem for breweries doing this "style"

I add the puree to the beer towards the end of fermentation or post fermentation. I let the yeast eat some of the sugars for about 3 days to avoid bottle bombs.

I'm of the stance you should never add sugar to a beer without letting the yeast have a chance to referment before packaging.
cgary11
AG
I made a aseptic mango and strawberry pure with fluff whipped in to clone a lamb in a jam. I added it straight to the keg, it was pretty dang close and was a good slushee style Berliner.

I did 1/5 fruit to beer, if you are kegging make sure you have a Dip tube filter
Ornlu
AG
If you pour the aceptic purees thru a (sanitized) nylon bag and then leave the bag in the secondary or keg, you'll have no clogs. Even if it takes 2 or 3 bags, you'll still avoid clogs by keeping all solids in the nylon.
62strat
AG
I just had gifted to me a dozen boxes of thin mints girl scout cookies. First I was like, what am I gonna do with all these thin mints? Then I thought, I'm gonna make a thin mint stout., that's what I'll do.

Any ideas on how to do that? Crumble em up and throw it in the mash? The fermenter? One box? 5 boxes?

No wrong or right answers I suppose, but never done anything like this.
Ornlu
AG
How much mint do you want in the final product?

62strat
AG
I don't know, don't think I've ever had a mint stout to gauge it.
Ornlu
AG
I've had several mint stouts, and here's my honest opionion:
Step 1. Pour your mint stout in a chilled thick-walled mug or Stein.
Step 2. Throw that **** in the trash and get an actual good beer.

Mint is an abomination that belongs in tooth paste and nowhere else.

With that said however, if you put the cookies in the mash you'll boil off (almost) all the mint flavor, and that will make the stout better. Less is more.
CalAG
AG
I have read the entire thread over the last week or so, and thought I would add my latest brew. I do not brew frequently but would love to do it more. Corona season has provided me more opportunities lately. Over the last few years I have inherited a good amount of equipment that is way underutilized, but am hoping to use it more.

I am a huge fan of sours, but always thought of the process as too difficult every time I read it. However, recently I was reading this thread on Homebrewtalk about fast souring methods. This process involves pitching L. plantarum at the same time as the yeast and fermenting at ambient temperatures. There are many sources for L. plantarum, either probiotic tablets from Swanson's or GoodBelly from the grocery store.
I ordered the Swanson's from amazon, but then it ended up sitting in my mail box for an extra day, in the Houston heat. I didn't want to risk the heat exposure so I went and grabbed some Goodbelly from the grocery store.

On to the recipe:

I used this recipe as the base (also from Homebrewtalk).
6.5# Pilsner malt.
3.5# Wheat malt.
Safale US-05
1 cup GoodBelly
I ended up mashing a bit high around 160 at the start of the 60 minute mash, and it stayed above 150 by the end of the hour. I then boiled for 10 minutes per the recipe. I don't have a chiller so, I just set my pot in the pool on the first step. I don't know that it helped much as my pool is 92F
When the wort was about 100F I poured it through a strainer into my fermentation bucket and brought it all indoors. Eventually it cooled to 75, and I pitched the GoodBelly and yeast.

Now for the bad news, I have no idea where my notes sheet went from my brew day. I had planned on entering it all into BeerSmith once complete

I know my post mash gravity was a little low but not much. I ended up around 1.040 after the mash prior to the boil. The grain was not mashed very finely, so I think I can increase efficiency there.

I brewed this on 8/15 and on 8/22 it was down to 1.017. I was a bit nervous because there was never any airlock activity, but I think I have a bad seal on my lid, so it just leaked out that way. I tasted my gravity sample and it was really good. I transferred it to secondary fermentation on 4.5# of tart cherries from the freezer section in a bag. I have been following AlaskanAg99's guidance of swirling it periodically to ensure good contact. I will be testing it this weekend to see if it is ready.
fav13andac1)c
AG
CalAG said:

I have read the entire thread over the last week or so
Impressive.
danieljustin06
AG
Brewing my oktoberfest right now while it's raining here in Denton. It's nice, the cool breeze into the garage helps counteract the heat and humidity during boil. I'm going to use a kolsch yeast. Ornlu did an experiment last year doing the same recipe but one with lager and the other with kolsch. We couldn't taste a difference. It's a big boon so I can drink it a lot sooner.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Well pour one out for my pale ale! This was unfortunately my last pour from the keg....it was an amazing beer, probably my favorite I have ever brewed! However there must have been a slight leak out of the tap. I have to really push the handle closed hard or else I'd get a drip. Must have messed it up this one time, because I went out to the garage later to a huge puddle of beer.

Thinking of getting one of this handle locks simply to keep this kind of crap from happening!
danieljustin06
AG
It could be your seals or more likely your tap angle along with your tap handle being too heavy. I've had the same issue, I was just fortunate to catch it before anything spilled.
txag2008
AG
A few years ago I made a stir plate, but then I had kids and I haven't brewed since. I'd rather someone get some use out of it than it just sit on the shelf. If you can use it let me know and it's all yours. (I'm in N Dallas)

It's adjustable speed with the control knob on the front and I put some blue LED lights in the box that gives off a cool glow.

https://streamable.com/0r70bc

Chipotlemonger
AG
That's very cool
fav13andac1)c
AG
txag2008 said:

A few years ago I made a stir plate, but then I had kids and I haven't brewed since. I'd rather someone get some use out of it than it just sit on the shelf. If you can use it let me know and it's all yours. (I'm in N Dallas)

It's adjustable speed with the control knob on the front and I put some blue LED lights in the box that gives off a cool glow.

https://streamable.com/0r70bc

Edit. Thank you!!
txag2008
AG
You can take it down. I'm basically in Richardson too, so should work out well.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Awesome! Thanks again! Looking forward to it. Really excited to be able to give it a second life.
fav13andac1)c
AG

You asked me to let you know if it works with a larger volume of liquid. I'd say it does!!

Thanks again for passing it forward. I will put it to good use!
txag2008
AG
That's awesome man. Glad it's working for ya and that it'll get some use.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Stopped by my LHBS to pick up a recipe yesterday and there two country looking guys with a 55 gallon plastic drum in the bed of their F350. They were buying several carboys and...Amylase Enzyme. I don't think they were making a high adjunct beer.

I asked if they were just getting started and they said "Yep, you could say that" with a meaningful look.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Anyone ever use a Tilt Hydrometer?
Ornlu
AG
No, I haven't. Looks pricey.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Looked into them a few years ago, and they seem nice. Just not sure how accurate they are.

Ornlu, how did your different fermentation temp saisons turn out?
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'm working through some house projects right now...trying to finish them up and get a couple of batches brewed in November though. Looking at a saison (I think I already mentioned this in discussion here), and something else.
62strat
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Anyone ever use a Tilt Hydrometer?
you can get a refractometer for cheaper than that, and don't have to worry about temp of liquid.
Ornlu
AG
The hot-start-then-cooldown was a little more peppery than the room temp, but both finished very very dry. They both were good, and I think I could reliably tell the difference between the two. Not a huge difference though.
fav13andac1)c
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Brewing a dry hopped saison next weekend. Using leftover Citra and Mosaic.

Also have a pumpkin recipe lined up for a September brew and I am looking for input. I was more focused on SRM this time around, and wanted to go for orange/amber as opposed to the dark brown this recipe was last year. But, I want to make sure it has enough biscuit/toasted notes to emphasize a "pie crust" sort of flavor. I'm hoping the ~25% of different toasted malts is enough. Also added some brown sugar.

Thank you beersmith!

Chipotlemonger
AG
Great color!
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I'm thinking of selling my setup. Hadn't used it in a long long while. Two pot inline setup no lifting required with a RIMS system on the mash tun, and plate chiller. Have 5 kegs and 2 CO2 tanks, fermentation chamber thermostat, yeast starter, grain mill, plus all my odds and ends that I have. I'll take photos if anyone is interested. It's a pretty nice setup. With the kegs and everything I'll sell it for $2k. If anyone is looking to upgrade into a mid grade all grain system this is a really great one that has served me well.
Ornlu
AG
I'm interested in the keg shells, grain mill, and CO2 regulators.

Where are you located?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thanks for logging this. I completely got sidetracked with some other projects and haven't been able to brew in a while, so my saison stuff has been sitting. I am eyeing this Sunday though to get back on the wagon!

I likely won't be able to push temps too high with the ambient being cooler now, but will see where the free rise takes me on this yeast I think.

Any input now that you went through this with that yeast?
AlaskanAg99
AG
After nearly 2 years of not barely brewing due to back surgeries, I started washing kegs last night. Thank god I have a DIY washer, there's some....built up gunk. Trying to slowly get everything cleaned and prepped as I'd like to brew over thanksgiving weekend and knock out 2 batches.
Ornlu
AG
If you have no good way of heating it (I don't either), I'd cool to 80F, pitch yeast, insulate the fermenter as best as you can, and let it coast down to ambient.

It'll be fine. Saison yeast are very forgiving.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.