***** Formula 1 - 2024 Season *****

60,185 Views | 799 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by La Fours
numetalbizkitaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Alonso demoted to P8.
SydB92
AG
I was wondering when it happened if Alonso was trying to unsettle Russell on the last lap. I didn't see any post race until this morning. That can't be a good resume builder with one of the teams who might recruit you.
htxag09
AG
https://instagr.am/p/C444J2TN2WA
Why didn't they red flag it? That 2nd picture makes it look like a no brainer.
SydB92
AG
Last lap maybe. Is there much of difference between a VSC,SC and red flag in terms of car speed. They still would have had to either get around the wreck and all queue up behind Russell's car. Double waived yellows around the crash forces the cars to drive even slower…..
htxag09
AG
He got on his radio right after that turn saying he was having problems with the throttle.
Twisted Helix
The weakest brake check I've ever seen. Not sure I'm buying it.
htxag09
AG
I figured it was because of the last lap. But…not just speed, wouldn't yellow also more than double the cars that past him? For example, Alonso did a full lap and passed him vs going in the pits.
MAROON
AG
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-alonso-hit-with-post-race-time-penalty-in-australia-over.4h6Fl1W2KOlvkG4UybDXs6.html

So he got penalized for changing the way he drove through that corner on that lap is what I make of it. Pretty interesting that they have all that data. But he even said his plan was to change the entry exit from what he had been doing but sort of mucked it up. Seems pretty harsh penalty for that.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Twisted Helix said:

The weakest brake check I've ever seen. Not sure I'm buying it.

I concur. I believe it was energy harvesting; not a brake check. Would have applied it much longer, IMO.
XpressAg09
AG
I love me some Carlos Sainz. And find it amusing that Lando podiums and Russell DNF's on the last lap (whether or not this one was his fault).

The Marksman
AG
Awesome 1-2 for Ferrari, horrible crash for George there at the end
SydB92
AG
It may have been energy harvesting but it was done at that moment to unsettle Russell, keep him from getting a good run with DRS out of those corners. Alonso knew what he was doing but obviously didn't expect Russell to bin it.
Gladiator 96
AG
Robert C. Christian
AG
Gladiator 96 said:

Gotta love F1 getting community noted on their own standings graphic.
WC87
AG
Has Jos released a statement on Red Bull favoring Checo and causing Max's incident?
Gladiator 96
AG
The bottom 3 are just comical at this point. Alpine cars are just terrible. Williams doesn't carry a spare chassis and has to forfeit a car and switch drivers. Kick Sauber has problems with "sticky nuts".
Gladiator 96
AG
ac04
SydB92
AG
Someone overlay it with counter measures like fighter pilots and that would be cool
boogieman
Azariah
AG
That was inattention by George. He fully expected things to happen as they had in previous laps, and was unprepared when they didn't. Terrible penalty on Alonso.
Gladiator 96
AG
The Marksman
AG
I think they should keep Bottas and dump Zhou. They could try to make a run at Sainz or Alonso potentially if they were interested in driving for Audi in 2026.
MAROON
AG
They should concentrate on developing a car that's not the slowest in the field.
tailgatetimer10
AG
But it's obviously the driver's fault
sixiron
AG
Gladiator 96 said:

The bottom 3 are just comical at this point. Alpine cars are just terrible. Williams doesn't carry a spare chassis and has to forfeit a car and switch drivers. Kick Sauber has problems with "sticky nuts".

And, yet, Andretti is the team who simply wouldn't be competitive.
Robert C. Christian
AG
MAROON said:

They should concentrate on developing a car that's not the slowest in the field.

F1 podcast I listened to said Sauber was also doing intentionally slow stops to avoid cross-threading the wheel nuts. Probably should also add that to the list of things to fix.

Or maybe that is just a result of having Bottas in the team? Tire issues follow him like the plaque.
MAROON
AG
Yes, I read they had "sticky nuts". Ha!
CoachRTM
AG
When the pit reporter came on and made the "Pop the champagne! Release the balloons!… Sauber had a pit stop that wasn't a complete disaster"… I literally spit my drink out laughing.

(Paraphrased the quote, can't remember exactly what he said)
Gladiator 96
AG
Was that Ted Kravitz? It sounds like something he would say.
XpressAg09
AG
Somebody should pick this guy up for '25

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5B6fDzMQmN/?igsh=MXNtcTFjZnl1ODJnMA==
Peter Klaven
AG
If I'm the guy that momentarily took back 4th place (number 19?) I'm probably bragging about that the rest of my life.
Gladiator 96
AG
XpressAg09
AG
When does Audi start racing? '25?
And it was Andretti that got boxed out?
Azariah
AG
XpressAg09 said:

When does Audi start racing? '25?
And it was Andretti that got boxed out?
Supposed to start in 26 with the new engine regs. Their timeline is weird, though. Seems like Sauber is damaging the brand enough these days that Audi may buy him out completely and take over sooner.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.