Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

MIRROR OUT KYLE FIELD!

193,633 Views | 787 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by TyHolden
phatbc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Aggies who bring their mirrors get into the game free!"
wrestler85*
AG
you might do a few tests to see if it would have any impact. we would look like dumb shytz if a bunch of the students held up foil and it really had no impact....
bobinator
AG
we could all angle the mirrors just right to form a giant death ray like on mythbusters and just incinerate anyone that gets near the goalline
Ogre09
AG
quote:
like on mythbusters

NERD!
Hodor
AG
quote:
if you're theory is that a fragment of reflected sunlight from a small mirror, held on the third deck is going to damage them, how is it safe for them to play in DIRECT sunlight?

The problem is focusing several hundred small mirrors onto a small area... same effect as an enormous magnifying glass, or a solar generator that uses an array of mirrors.

A pic of an example from Spain (if this internets thing works for me):
OrygunAg
AG
ARRRGGGGHHH
Someone please photoshop the zone and harrel standing in the middle of those mirrors. Mirrors, or a clean flat sheets of foil wrapped on a program would be brilliant. You dont have to focus it on any one player--although if a few refractions lit up their receivers and QB, hey.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bobinator
AG
can we also put this on the jumbotron every time tech is moving toward the south endzone?

E
AG
strangely I like this idea
anaggieshusband
Kids need more vitamin D
gigemags1155
I support this message...

Gig Em for Foil Out 2008!

I might pick up a ticket and drive down just to particpate in this.
SchlepRock
AG

Okay, everyone needs to get to work on their outfit!
wrestler85*
AG
bobinator, that's funny stuff!
BNR05
AG
genius
bobinator
AG
new yell leader outfits?

kangsta
best idea i've ever heard
OrygunAg
AG
Your PDA or phone could also act as a small mirror, bring some foil to cover the front of it maybe. A common roll of foil has 200 sheets, each 1 square foot. If we had say 30 rolls of foil handed out, that would be damn impressive. Maybe someone on campus could go to the zone and see if you can see the reflection of a couple of people holding up 1 foot sheets. Imagine 6 - 10000 sheets all reflecting to a common area on the field. Intimidate the hell Ags!
SeanDaAg2005
AG
I approve of this thread.
BQZip01
AG
As an abstract idea, it's amusing. How many ladies would donate their compacts' mirrors to the cause? How many reflective hot dog wrappers would have the same effect?

In practice, it's a bad idea and could really screw up the tceh players. They're human and this could screw up their lives for a football game. Bad bull.

Now if you want to really screw with them. We should wear shirts that are maroon on the front and white on the back. If everyone watching the game would suddenly turn their back to the game when tceh throws a pass, the change in the amount of light on the field would be extremely significant.
uneedastraw
How could foil "screw up tceh players lives"? It won't make a significant difference...but it would be funny as hell.

If you truly think it could screw up tech player's lives, don't you think that it could also screw up the Aggie players? They will be on the same field, won't they?
bobinator
AG
yes but we will use our super coordination powers to be able to focus our giant kyle field death ray just on the tech players
SeanDaAg2005
AG
Now that we have used our superior and higher educated brain trust to come up with the idea of an aluminum foil/compact mirror death ray... you can rest assured Tech fans will be raining down fiery sun on our players next year.

So I say... preemptive strike.
OrygunAg
AG
In theory you cook to approx 400 degrees with a focused foil reflective oven. In practice, it would be nearly impossible to line everyones 'death ray' up and hold on a single pirate to fry him, although leach might just be drunk enough not to notice until it was too late. Worst case is it gives them a little more tan and maybe makes the uncomfortable. Might also cause them to temporarily lose sight on the ball or something if they catch the glare. Mostly it would just look really cool from the press box or higher up in the stands. Only the lower parts of the zone, and east west lower decks would need the foil/mirrors, approx 10 - 20000 folks (100 rolls of foil) I believe...this could work equally well on their D.

[This message has been edited by SeaAg96 (edited 10/14/2008 11:39p).]
peace
S
guys, guys, the easier thing to do is pass out the foil pie tins, they will not be wrinkled, and will be about 8 inches in diameter!!!! You will have to raid the grocery stores, Sam's and every where they are sold.....however. But it would work to a greater degree!!
Sao

Could you guys make it 59,999 mirrors?

Someone, just one of ya, needs to give one mirror to Sherm. He needs it.
Decay
AG
We're going to hear the best pregame announcement ever this week.
wrestler85*
AG
i feel that it is my responsibility, as an adult, to bring some sanity to this discussion.....there is no frickin way anyone would ever be damaged by, at most, 20,000 make up mirrors (much less aluminum foil which is probably about 10% as reflective), with no coordinated movement, from as far as the third deck of kyle down to the field. even if we were able to convince one of the players to stand still and let everyone try their best to shine their mirror on him, do you think it would work? do you think anyone 50 yards+ away from the "target" would be able to distinguish where his ray of reflected light was directed?

don't get me wrong, i love the idea, but i encourage the students to go to the field and experiment before you spread the word. i think you'll find that even pie pans are simply going to look like silver object from the field, vs. causing any visual disturbance.

no, if you want to damage someone i suggest finding a few HUGE lenses and building something similar to a telescope (in reverse), climb to the top of the press box, and focus it such that the light converges on the crotch of mike leach. similar to a magnifying glass on ants.
wrestler85*
AG
i was kidding about the magnifying glass focus on leach's crotch, of course. that's silly. everyone knows that with an 11:00 am kick off, the sun won't be low enough, even in the fourth quarter, to crest just over the top of the press box to the opponents bench.

go with the mirrors. with best of luck it will look to the players like a few flash bulbs going off in the stands
Naked Hiker
AG
i'm impressed with this idea. whether or not it happens
OrygunAg
AG
Actually, foil reflects 85% of natural sunlight, so it is not as reflective or easy to aim as a mirror, but a hell of a lot bigger (wrinkled doesnt matter really). For the foil, you will probably need to wrap it on something like a program to focus it. Most probably wont be able to make out their own individual refelection or maybe even get their reflection to stay on the field, but imagine 1000s of little light blobs moving around the field distracting the players. I agree, hopefully some students can get foil or a mirror and do a proof of concept to see if you can make it reflect in afternoon sun to about 30 yards onto the field. It would be best if someone could stand on the field and have someone in the zone try to focus it on them. Leach and the coaches will only be about 30 yards from most of the middle of the first deck on the student side and I am sure they would appreciate our help illuminating their plays, etc.
bobinator
wrestler85*
AG
sea ag, let's get nerdy on this one. I'll give you that a perfectly flat, highly reflective sheet of aluminum foil my provide reflection of 85%. however (drum roll), a sheet of foil no matter how mildly wrinkled, will reflect in countless tangents. i think that it would be nearly impossible to get even close to 20% of light reflected from a piece of foil to a specific location.

your turn.
NoHo Hank
AG
I think a cooler idea would be to take a bunch of cameras with flashes and shoot them at the same time when a guy is shooting free throws in bball. How allsome would that be?
wrestler85*
AG
by the way, i love the tidbit about illuminating their plays. wouldn't that pizz them off to no end?
wrestler85*
AG
johnf, that's frickin brilliant. are cameras allowed at the games?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.