Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Half empty stadium = mass migration in OT

17,908 Views | 317 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by WestTxAg06
Rob03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heat was terrible.

No breeze made it worse. It was the horrible out there, but I stayed!
mv09
quote:
not trying to be a d i c k, but i've been to almost 50 A&M games and heat has never caused me to leave early...they do sell water and make baseball caps, you know...

Its easy to stay when your not in the students section and in the shade instead.
maniacalclown
It's hard to describe just how bad it was in the first half. It did break a bit when some cloud cover rolled in, but people were literally dropping like flies before then. My roommate apparently saw someone having a seizure.
HighPlainsAg
What liquids can you take into Kyle Field?
NewArmyAg
I had to leave. There was no way I was going to make it through the entire game.

Relax folks, it's just a football game. Not worth risking your health over.
YellowPot_97
AG
Worst game heat wise EVER! Saw several people pass out and be carried away. I started to leave at half time. I went through about 3 gallons of water and never p!ssed. Still haven't. Glad I stayed though. If you weren't there, you have NO ideal.
tamu1187
AG
that was the hottest game i have ever been to...i stayed the whole game but i would have left if not for my car being across campus
classof2011
AG
I was at the game and part of the mass migration and it was probably the hottest time of my life. I almost passed out, standing the entire game. I think 4 people around me passed out and they had to take them somewhere to rehydrate them. It was miserable especially because we didn't pass the ball the entire second half.
SteadicaTm
AG
stayed the whole game.
Bullmoose
AG
Props to all the students that stayed, 20 years from now your grandkids will be saying "oh crap, not that story again".
TexasAggie008
AG
If we have a cold winter and people b*** about it, im ttt'ing this thread. I'd take Michigan and Ohio's football weather over ours any day of the week. Humidity is probably the worst thing in the world...besides our passing game..
Cromagnum
AG
I definitely would be in favor of "no games before 5 PM" until October. I don't care what station wants to broadcast the game, but people's health and safety are a lot more important than some damn tv air time.
Coca-Cola_Ag07
AG
quote:
Was it worse than SMU '05?

Again yes. I went down to get my water bottle refilled when the first Q ended and the EMS ran past me pushing everyone out of the way cause someone in section 231 or 230 in the top rows collapsed and was unconscious.
WestTxAg06
AG
I still don't understand all the consternation over the heat at the SMU game in 2005. The concourses were absolutely full of people wearing shorts and t-shirts and looking half dead. I stood in the sun the entire game wearing starched blue jeans, boots, maroon t-shirt, and baseball cap. It was warm, but it's not like it was the Iraqi desert out there. Buy bottles of water, drink some, pour the rest over your head, and get back to yelling.
chenag09
AG
The heat was rough, but I did okay, even after a night full of HEAVY drinking.

That being said, I still don't blame anyone who left early.
bigg-d
the game was dangerously hot, people were droppong like flies, i also left at halftime because my ride said he couldnt take anymore.

saw one girl, completely unconscious, getting carried out by two police officers.
Scotch
AG
I was at LSU '95 and the other early season hot games around those years, on the student side.

This was the first game I felt I might pass out at, and I was on the west side.

The 12th Man was GREAT.

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 9/9/2007 1:26a).]
DallasAg 94

Enron
quote:
not trying to be a d i c k, but i've been to almost 50 A&M games and heat has never caused me to leave early...they do sell water and make baseball caps, you know...

How many of those games were in Aug/Sept heat?

How many of those games were you standing in the student section?

How many went 4.5 hours?!
EnronAg
AG
i deleted my post...sorry, i was wrong...i've never been to a game where that many people were passing out, so it was clearly much hotter than any game i've been to...but to answer your questions, many of those games were in sept/oct and in the student section...
Pro Sandy
AG
I have no sympathy for anyone who gets heat exhaustion. Take care of yourself damn it! I have gotten heat exhaustion because I was stupid and didn't drink enough water while out on the trail. When you are in civilization with access to water, heat exhaustion should never an option. Only morons get heat exhaustion.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Been to 60+ games in the past 15 years . Hottest for me and I was on the West side.
Props to who stayed.
unmade bed
if it makes it any better, most Ags that left the game did so at halftime when it looked like it was going to be a easy Aggie win.
Redstone
AG
I stayed in the Zone the whole time and didn't have any problems whatsoever. Water, a hat, and sunscreen - I good to go.....

People shouldn't leave early unless they are on the very brink of passing out. I expect a lot more than those in that category left.

Those who remained were rewarded with drizzling rain in the 4th.

It was definately triple digits, but bearable.

If you had an infant or young child, it's fine to go to shade. But students should be in the stands.

[This message has been edited by Redstone (edited 9/8/2007 8:52p).]
3rdGenAg06
AG
i restrained myself from boozing last night, hydrated before the game with several bottles of water, and drank half a gallon during the game and i was fine.

my point is, heat stroke and heat exhaustion can be avoided in many cases by simply adequately hydrating during and BEFORE the game.

those who couldn't handle the intense heat i hope are feeling better and that nobody had any serious problems.
YellowPot_97
AG
even in the zone, you have no ideal what that sun in your face for 5 plus hours was like.
W
AG
NoAC, gotta disagree on this one. The heat was murderous

it added to the surreal feel of the game to watch the students flow back and forth. I had not seen that before
colonialag
AG
way way worse than smu 2005. whoever says yes to these 2:30 games needs to be kicked in the genitalia
aggiepaintrain
AG
quote:
I stayed in the Zone the whole time and didn't have any problems whatsoever. Water, a hat, and sunscreen - I good to go.....

So you didn't stand up the whole game with the sun in your face.

Must be that you are a real man. Is the seat cushion new or do you reuse it from last year?
Redstone
AG
I am a healthy mid to late 20 something. Even so, no problems. I've been to a lot of hot football games. This wasn't simply wasn't particularly bad on that score.

Triple digits. So what??? We live in Texas. It's September. That's the way it goes.

Come prepared and don't complain. And stay unless you are the brink of a physical breakdown.
NoACDamnit
In 2002 for Tech they had OVER 100 people treated for heat stroke. People were dropping left and right at that game too.

And yet we didn't have the embarrassment of watching the students move back and forth in the stands since no one was in them.

---------------------------------------

Harry Potter just like the Smurfs and many other things are simply witchcraft made G Rated on the outside but underlying it is still witchcraft and is against the will of God.
annie88
AG
honestly, I thought it was awesome! Look, I was in the shade on alumni side the entire time, and I was super hot. If you weren't there...it was FREAKING HOT! Some people could only take so much...we got a kick out of it...I thought it was very ingenius...

okay, rereading, what I thought was awesome and got a kick out of was the migrating fans during OT, NOT people passing out! Sorry for confusion!

[This message has been edited by walkeanne (edited 9/8/2007 9:13p).]
Pro Sandy
AG
I seriously doubt it was over 100 cases of heat stroke. Heat stroke can kill and someone would have it that many cases occurred. I imagine it was dehydration or heat exhaustion.

As I said before, only morons get heat exhaustion. You are responsible for your own body. Bring water, drink it, refill it. Problem solved and you don't have to spend any money on the expensive stuff at the stadium.

This is exactly why back in the SWC days everyone wore light colors to games.
WestTxAg06
AG
quote:
In 2002 for Tech they had OVER 100 people treated for heat stroke.

I don't even remember that game being hot.

Sorry if this hurts anyone's feelings, but I think the problem is that, nowadays, the student body is full of kids who grew up staying inside all summer or laying out by the pool instead of working outside in the Texas heat. When you spend June, July, and August working as a farmhand, you're used to incredibly hot weather and you're used to keeping yourself hydrated, because you don't have the option of taking the rest of the day off if you decide you're too hot. When you've done that, four hours at Kyle Field doesn't seem all that unbearable.

[This message has been edited by WestTxAg06 (edited 9/8/2007 9:16p).]
ktownag08
AG
We left mid-way 3rd quarter. It was just too hot and half our group of 8 felt horrible. I started to feel bad on the walk home. I was at SMU '05 and this was worse. Went through 3 cups of ice and about 2 gallons of water in the first half. This was after downing water all morning in preparation. To those who stayed I commend you. It's not worth getting sick over.
NoACDamnit
quote:

I don't even remember that game being hot.

It was sweltering.

If the players can stay hydrated in pads while exerting themselves the entire time there's no reason for the student side to be empty like that.

---------------------------------------

Harry Potter just like the Smurfs and many other things are simply witchcraft made G Rated on the outside but underlying it is still witchcraft and is against the will of God.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.